[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, I was planning of buying a new phone and S7 Edge seemed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

File: Note 7.jpg (52KB, 770x434px) Image search: [Google]
Note 7.jpg
52KB, 770x434px
Guys, I was planning of buying a new phone and S7 Edge seemed to be good enough but I saw the supposed Note 7 specs and it seems it will feature 6 GB of RAM.
Is this really necessary right now?
I thought 4 GB of RAM would be enough for us at least for 1 or 1,5 years.
Should I go for Note 7 instead?
I'm coming from a shitty phone so I don't really know how newest flagship phones are performing right now. Can S7 Edge or Note 5 users confirm that 4 GB is enough or not? Do you feel your phone's lagging at all?
>Inb4 go for iPhone
>Inb4 Android itself lags
No shitposting please.
>>
Don't get the edge it's a meme.

Just get the normal s7 it's literally superior.
>>
>>55781272
>Inb4 Android itself lags
That's a fact, so if you don't want to deal with lag, no amount of RAM will help you on Android, so if that's an issue for you, iPhone is the only option.

If you don't mind lag and no updates, just get S7 Edge. It's pretty good for a lagdroid phone.
>>
>>55781333
I understand
I just don't want the thread turning into lagdroid shitposting.
I'm confused if I should wait for Note 7 or just for S7 and I'd like some response on this, that's all.
In other words I wonder if I should fall for the 6 GB meme or not.
>>
>>55781370
From what I know, most phones with 4/6GB RAM still barely use 2GB; so unless you plan to browse with 100 tabs open and the likes, 4GB will be fine as fuck.

OnePlus 3 that has 6GB, literally can't even use them in most scenarios because it's limited to 20 apps for example. Who knows, perhaps Samsung will do something similar with Note 7.
>>
Dude. 4gb is fine even for a computer.
>>
>>55781444
It's not for Android.
>>
>>55781272
>touchwizz
>>
>>55781418
>>55781444
So can we decide that 6 gb of ram is just a bait?
Anyways if some /g/oy can give me their opinions on their s7/note5 regarding the lag, I'd be happy.
I really hate lag but I also hate closed as fuck phones like iPhones so I will buy an android phone.
Samsung phones seem to be performing worse thanks to touchwiz but LG and Sony phones are shitty as well and I feel like I will love the edge style.
>>
>>55781333
>That's a fact, so if you don't want to deal with lag, no amount of RAM will help you on Android
As someone who has an s6, I have noticed no lag.
>so if that's an issue for you, iPhone is the only option
And then turn off updates. There's no denying it at this point, iOS updates are intentionally slowing iPhones right the fuck down.
>>55781532
>So can we decide that 6 gb of ram is just a bait?
Yes, it's totally unnecessary.
>Anyways if some /g/oy can give me their opinions on their s7/note5 regarding the lag, I'd be happy.
I was a windows phone fanboy because at the time when I bought my Lumia 930 it was unrivalled in smoothness. The s6 comes very, very close to it but is much better on every other front.
>Samsung phones seem to be performing worse thanks to touchwiz
That seemed to be a minor problem out of the box for my s6. The home screen would sort of "pop" in element by element like an old web page would on a slow connection but that was fixed by an update that happened too long ago for me to remember at this point.
>>
>>55781532
Well, you could always install a custom ROM. Or roll with Nexus.

No idea about LG but Sony is indeed pure shit, while their UI isn't as bad as touchjizz, their hardware tends to be fucking faulty and their software tends to break more than it fixes.

I love the Edge style, so if I had to get a lagdroid, it'd be my choice. You get used to the lag either way, at least your phone will look fly as fuck and have damn nice camera and battery life.

Besides, if you come from a shitty phone, any flagship will feel amazing.
>>
>>55781607
>>55781612
Thanks based anons.
>>
>>55781641
My brother and friend own an S7 Edge, they both love it. And I want one myself. They are really just beautiful devices. Also, I don't really know how Android lags. As long as you're not an idiot, and take care of your OS, it runs just fine. I use Nova Launcher on my S5, it's been almost 2 years and it hasn't decreased in speed whatsoever.
>>
>>55781607
>Apple fucking up updates
My iPhone 5 is running iOS 10andd it's still smooth as the day I got it.
>>
>>55781696
Getting updates like ios 10 help iphone 5 in any way? I mean it does probably change the looks but anything more?
>>
>>55781333
That is not a fact, you fucking idiot. After turning all animations off, flagship Android phones are generally more responsive in a side by side test. Just because a four year old Android phone with a shitty ROM you played with for two seconds didn't perform well doesn't mean the flagships are that bad.
>>
>>55781767
They are responsive until lagdroid magic happens, in a way turning off animation makes it worse, since lag will be even more obvious when it happens.

But hey, Java was a great idea, right?
>>
>>55781696
>I'm running beta software and it's not lagging!
Yeah, sure. Meanwhile there are mass complaints of the iPhone 5 lagging with iOS 9.
>>
File: 1463785037319.jpg (35KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1463785037319.jpg
35KB, 500x500px
>>55781272
Note that the stock S7 software will leave you with only about 1-1.5gb of free ram

>>55781295

Also this is just shitposting. Ive had a note 4 for 2 years before switching to this S6 Edge+. I could get the Edge+ on release for only €400. Back then the new price was €700 and the note 4 I was using could be sold on ebay for €400. I took a shot and bought the S6 edge+ with the idea of selling it for profit and keep the Note 4.

When I used the edge+ for literally 24 hours I couldnt go back. No the edge doesnt have the versitality the s-pen of the note had, it doesnt really have a function. But the visual aspect, the way it looks and the way it feels in your hand is just cant be matched by any other phone. Its literally perfect. Now snd then I do miss my s-pen, so if theres an note 7 with included edge screen coming up, id say def wait for that one.

Also for my job I have an iPhone 5s, its honestly just a perfect phone for business use. To say this s6 edge+ is unresponsive lagdroid trash is just underage trolling. My iPhone has been unresponsive a lot more often than my s6. I kid you not. Apps like Parkmobile made my iphone crash like 2-3 times before I could activate, because I got sick of it I now use it on my s6 while on business trips because it just works.

Whether you believe me or not is up to you, i would understand it if you think im a giant shill.
>>
>>55781953
Beta doesn't mean it has to lag, or even be faulty. The first beta sure run like shit on my SE, but beta 2 is perfectly smooth and feels like finished software.

Don't know a single person who complained about 5 or 5s lag either, and these phones are from 2012/2013 respectively. Did Samsung release Marshmallow for Galaxy S4 yet? What about Nougat beta?
>>
>>55782009
>Note that the stock S7 software will leave you with only about 1-1.5gb of free ram
Please be kidding.
>>
>>55781607

> There's no denying it at this point, iOS updates are intentionally slowing iPhones right the fuck down

I can vouch for this.

I used to work for a cellphone carrier and we had tons of iPhones come in for repair. It was always the same thing, they updated, phone started to lag hard. Sent them away for flashing.

It wasn't a coincidence they all updated and they went to shit. I'm not saying they all did, but a huge amount did. It was mostly 4s's and 5's.
>>
>>55782134
>Don't know a single person who complained about 5 or 5s lag either
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/24/iphone-slow-ios-9-update-iphone-4s-iphone-5-iphone-5s
http://bgr.com/2014/07/28/iphone-slow-vs-samsung-galaxy-slow/
You're starting to sound like a genuine shill.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160727-183814.png (265KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160727-183814.png
265KB, 1440x2560px
>>55782155
Yeah, though I cant confirm this for the current firmware since it had some minor updates. Dont get trolled into thinking you need a lot though. I usually have 20+ apps open and an internet browser with a dozen tabs and have never run into ram problems. Admittedly I do find it a bit dobious that theres so little left after a fresh install and always having enough to do whatever I like is no excuse. It does make me feel like RAM on phones are a bit overrated, since as I said ive never run into any issues. Heck I even forgot all about it until I just checked. (I closed everything except my 4chan browser for the screenshot), Also lets not forget that iPhones up until the most recent ones have always had 1 GB total(kek)
>>
My phone has 3gb of RAM and never EVER lags.

Of course, that may be because I don't have a million botnet services like Spotify and Facebook running in the background.
>>
File: nexus_vs_iPhone.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
nexus_vs_iPhone.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>55781333
ex-iPhone 6 Plus user here, iPhones lag more than Android.
>>
File: gsmarena_001.jpg (59KB, 728x409px) Image search: [Google]
gsmarena_001.jpg
59KB, 728x409px
>>55782390
>Of course, that may be because I don't have a million botnet services like Spotify and Facebook running in the background.
Interesting fact to know but the exynos variant of the S7 blows the iPhone 6S out of the water especially in multi-tasking. Unfortunately due to all the bloat that performance is hidden in tests.

Wish manufacturers would give us Android phones without so much fucking bloat. Not saying I'd ever touch an iPhone even with a 10 foot pool but shit mang, this bloat is fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>55781272
>needing 6gb of ram and whatever gaymenturbopower cpu on a fucking phone
>>>/v/
>>
Depends how long you want your device to stay relevant. Buying a 6GB RAM phone will protect you for another 4 years at best before you see anything worth upgrading to.

Something people don't seem to talk about is the lack of vRAM on phones. Because of this games must use system RAM. This isn't going to change anytime soon and so the more RAM, the better it will be for next gen Android games. Instead of having to heavily compress textures in games with lossy compression in a 100-200MB RAM space, games can use 1-2 GB of RAM to store uncompressed lossless textures which is the main problem that makes games look like shit.
>>
Make sure you get the international s7 version. The stock USA version is slow as shit.
>>
>>55782330
>https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/24/iphone-slow-ios-9-update-iphone-4s-iphone-5-iphone-5s

Sounds like it was written right after release, so guess it's given that some users had issues; it's on 9.31 now or something. Also "some users" isn't exactly a helpful term to determine the problem. The other article is even more of poorly researched, un-scientific clickbait ... which you know.

Where is your proof that it's actually a widespread issue?

>>55782374
That's fucking cray, even desktop OS'es aren't this RAM hungry. I guess a lot of the stuff would get purged when RAM is actually required but still weird how Samsung to manage to run so much shit in the background. Stock Android usually used 700mb for me, whether on 1, 2 or 4GB devices.

>>55782519
It's more likely that his SOC will be obsolete in 4 years, having 2GB more RAM won't help then.
>>
>>55782398
STOP IT! THIS IS TOO OBJECTIVE FOR MY BRAIN!
>>
>>55782430
>blows the iPhone 6S out of the water
>8 seconds slower after just the first lap

Exynos is a pretty good chip, specially when it comes to efficiency but it's still not on A9 level. Besides, you realize that the 6s is encrypted while the S7 isn't? Encryption further gimps Android performance, not sure whether it's because of the slow storage speed or lack of hardware optimisazion.
>>
>>55782578
>more of poorly researched, un-scientific clickbait
Bwahahahahahahahahaha 6/10 troll made me get links.
>>
>>55781678
>touchwizz
>>
>>55782657
You could always provide actual proof for your claims. If Apple is systematically gimping their phones with updates, it should be pretty easy to prove and even make a case against them. Don't you want to win millions?
>>
>>55781272
>>do you feel your phone's lagging at all?
>>4gb ram

Mfw lg g2 with 2gb ram and sd800 and no lags kek. Not sure if lagwiz meme is true or people just can't into specs

>inb4 people hating on lg

Works fine after 2 years, nothing broken, and good rom support
>>
File: 132857483049.png (388KB, 1080x1445px) Image search: [Google]
132857483049.png
388KB, 1080x1445px
>>55782628
>Exynos is a pretty good chip, specially when it comes to efficiency but it's still not on A9 level. Besides, you realize that the 6s is encrypted while the S7 isn't?
It's been confirmed there is no real encryption on the 6s due to all the hardware AND software backdoors.

>Encryption further gimps Android performance, not sure whether it's because of the slow storage speed or lack of hardware optimisazion.
A little bit of both but mainly because it gives you real encryption without hardware/software backdoors.

Anyway if you were to de-bloat an S7, it'd be like 25% faster than an iPhone 6s while not having all the problems in pic related.
>>
>>55782721
>> 4gb*
>>
>>55781272
the edge is a meme
>>
>>55782721
>Not sure if lagwiz meme is true or people just can't into specs
That and all the pre-installed bloat. exynos S7 is actually faster than the iPhone 6s if not for that.
>>
>>55782719
>and even make a case against them
What, you mean like the class action lawsuit they're currently facing? You get downgraded to a 5/10 troll or possibly someone who's really bad at making it known that he's just joking.
>>
>>55782727
>It's been confirmed there is no real encryption on the 6s due to all the hardware AND software backdoors.
Link?

>but mainly because it gives you real encryption without hardware/software backdoors.
>backdoors improve encryption performance
8/10 anon. I was worried that you're an idiot after you posted the dumb meme but you're obviously just trolling.

>it'd be like 25% faster
My aunt would be my uncle if she had a dick, lagdroid wouldn't lag if it weren't a hobby project and Linux would be relevant for home users if it didn't look like shit. But back to reality, mkay?
>>
>>55782820
>What, you mean like the class action lawsuit they're currently facing?
Exactly. So how is it going? Did their get their millions because they proved that their claims are valid?
>>
>>55782839
Man, even when called out as a troll you keep trying to troll. That takes either persistency or stupidity, not sure which. Though by your lack of reading comprehension when replying to the other anon, I'm guessing it's just a case of pure stupid.
>>
File: 1455829980996.jpg (271KB, 738x1028px) Image search: [Google]
1455829980996.jpg
271KB, 738x1028px
>>55782823
How much is apple paying you btw? How do I sign up? I wouldn't mind being a paid apple shill if the pay was okay.
>>
>>55782967
>unlocking iPhones
>means overcoming hardware encryption
Oh Jesus. Isn't it time for /v/ to go back already?
>>
>>55783007
>Isn't it time for /v/ to go back already?
Yes it is. It's time you go. Go on, git!
>>
>>55782578
>"cray"
kill yourself
>>
>>55782374
why is your 4chan so ugly?
>>
Normal s7 is amazing. On my third day of battery at 40%. Edge seemed kind of memey and uncomfortable to hold compared to regular s7, so I bought this one instead. The battery lasts very long when it's sitting on your desk and you use it maybe once an hour to look things up. THe battery runs out faster if you're using it heavily but it still is pretty good and will always last you a full day.
>>
still living with 1gb ram
on M
>>
>>55783046
Surely the company of other children would be more fit for you?
>>
>>55783007
Are you retarded?
>>
>>55783121
>"amazing"
>touchwizz
jej
>>
>>55783214
I themed it and put nova launcher on it. Works for me.
>>
File: 1456258422801.jpg (112KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1456258422801.jpg
112KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>55783274
>Oh! I installed Nova, that means I no longer have touchwiz!

What the fuck, why do 60% of you faggots believe in this misconception? The stock ROM on samsung devices is not pure android - all of the system files were modified by the manufacturer, and there are added apps with additional functionality. If Stock (AOSP) android were to be a GNU/Linux distro, it would be like a really lightweight Debian netinst, and Touchwiz (the ROM) would be Ubuntu or OpenSUSE.
>>
>>55782430
>too dumb to use an iphone
youll fit right in here
>>
>>55783332
Still works for me m8.
>>
>>55783274
>using samshit themes
>needing a samshit account to use samshit themes
>thinking installing nova removes all traces of touchwizz bloat
retard
>>
>>55781767
>turning all animations off

ok kid, side by side, stock S7 vs 6s, which would lag the most in performance-demanding applications?

I'll give you a hint, it's not the one made by a fruit company
>>
>>55781272

S7 here - hate it.

By a cheap phone if you insist on android. Look at the oneplus and chinese phones like the xiaomi note 3

A "premium" android phone will always disappoint. Every time. The software just isn't there yet.
>>
>>55781833
There's no java on android N anymore
>>
>>55784874
Oh? So what will it be based on then?
Also source?
>>
>>55781272
It's not as long as you use an AOSP-based ROM. You'll get a better experience on a SD800 based device(from the year fucking 2013) with such a ROM than on any new Samsung. Also Android can't really effectively use so much RAM(ironic, ain't it?), it starts killing apps too soon. See oneplus 3. You'll have a half of the RAM permanently free unless you tweak minfrees.
>>
>>55781272
Upgraded from the LG G3 to the S7 Edge a few weeks ago. This phone seems to be just about perfect. The only thing I would change is to have a removable battery, but other than that it does everything I want it to. Framerates in GearVR are a bit lower than I'd like but more RAM wouldn't fix that. Got the Edge over the regular S7 mostly for aesthetics and better battery life.
>>
>>55785272
How much ram do you have left usually? Between around 1-1,5 GB just like this post shows to us? >>55782374
>>
>>55785272
>"upgraded"
>touchwizz
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.