[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth rooting an Android phone /g/? What are the benifits?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: android-wallpaper5_2560x1600_1.jpg (63KB, 800x799px) Image search: [Google]
android-wallpaper5_2560x1600_1.jpg
63KB, 800x799px
Is it worth rooting an Android phone /g/? What are the benifits? Are there security risks?
>>
>>55778657
iOS is shit so, android is your only option
>>
Some app functionality requires root, removing some apps requires root. I dont even think root is required to flash roms in all cases but it will make the process easier. Thats basically it, otherwise you actually open yourself up to risk as well.
>>
>>55778657
If you have to ask, you're better off not rooting. Yes, rooting opens up a significantly higher degree of control over your phone but it also opens up a higher risk of fucking something up

Read up on it more and decide yourself. If you really want to rice, though, yeah I'd root so you can install a better rom
>>
>>55778733
>>55778701
Doesn't the phone always ask you before allowing an app to do some shit, even if rooted?
>>
I need an apk tool, ms windows paint, smali editor or apk editor, a jar signer, and an apk compiler for Android.

I reverse engineer apks, sign and recompile them on Windows and need to be able to do the same on Android.

Help. Please
>>
>>55778685
>implying android is better.
How many times have you factory rest your phone today?
>>
>>55779232
>sour grapes
Had a good laugh, anon
>>
I want to go about flashing a custom rom on my phone, and I was wondering if it could interfere with my service with AT&T in any way?
>>
>>55779232
actually, 0 times since I rooted and flashed the thing.

How many times today have you had a look at your file system?
>>
>>55778749
usually if you are rooted you have a modified recovery that could install anything without requiring your pin/password or whatever security check you have in place
>>
File: 1445932074026.gif (2MB, 356x400px)
1445932074026.gif
2MB, 356x400px
>>55778657
>he doesn't have root
that's simply retarded to not have root on your device, that would mean you wouldn't own your own phone but the manufacturer of the phone would own your phone, imagine if you had a windows or linux install and tried to do something that requires admin/root privilidges and it denied access because you don't own the computer fully and the person who sold it to you wouldn't allow it under their watch, that's why I always get mad when companies like doing that bullshit and lock up phones, iOS is retarded in this regard and Apple can go suck a dick, same goes with Verizon and AT&T prepaid store phones with locked up devices running Android, best thing to do is get a phone like a Nexus or OnePlus and manually unlock it and flash a new ROM on it like Cyanogen so you fully own the devicee you paid for, also for service if you use AT&T and Verizon then dont ever buy it from those stores (Sprint and others do not aply) and bring it in later to get a plan on the phone you bought which was not from that store, it will not risk security at all, that's just what shitty companies want you to think so they can start locking every device up for "security" purposes and people start accepting that shit.
>>
>>55779538

rekt
>>
>>55780780

Its just a fucking phone..
>>
>>55778813
I sent this to the feds, enjoy your jailtime
>>
>>55778657
I had an s2 that i rooted out of anger becahse it updated without my fucking approval. I lost all google functionality (play store, frameworks, some manually installed apps refused to start because of this) . I have a galaxy j5 now, and while not nearly as annoying as the s2, i want to root it. I have two questions:

1. What is the best method to manually upgrade from 5.1.1 to 6.0? All i've seen online is fishy as hell
2. Can i root my device without compromising google functionality, yet still maintain control over updates?
>>
>>55781385
You didn’t install gapps on it then. S2 doesn’t have enough space on its system partition for gapps if you install MM iirc. You have to repartition it.
>>
>>55778657
Get a real phone, poorfag.
>>
>>55778657
Root allows you to use your phone as a computer as opposed to a portable Google phone booth.
>>
>>55778657
Definitely worth it. You get access to a bunch of new features.
- blocking ads
- removing bloatware
- lucky patcher for free in-app purchases & more
- Xposed framework

There are ofcourse some security risks to this, but if you use some common sense & don't install fishy apps, you should be fine.
>>
>>55778733
you need an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery to intsall a different ROM

>>55781385
1. I follow a general rule unless the ROM from XDA-Developers or CyanogenMOD site I avoid it
2. no root doesn't compromise GApps
>>
Two words:
Rooted malware.
>>
Since when did it become acceptable to not have admin/root privileges on a computer you personally own?
Don't let your freedom slip away.
>>
>>55781050
>Its just a fucking phone..
A phone is most people's primary, daily computing device
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.