[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the cheapest thing I can build that will let me browse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 1468814101448.jpg (44KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1468814101448.jpg
44KB, 480x480px
What's the cheapest thing I can build that will let me browse the Web, type papers, office stuff, and watch some videos? Used or new, doesn't matter.
Will a raspberry pi work?
>>
yes, a pi should be fine. cheap and easy to setup.

or you can find a refurbished desktop for cheap on newegg or something.
>>
>>55776581
I was planning to use the pi with a keyboard a mouse and the monitor I already have.
I cannot think of anything cheaper and I was wondering how much power does the average user than wants to do basic stuff needs.
>>
A Pi would work if that's really all you need it for and you're sure that you won't be doing anything too hardware intensive.

Get a decent SD card for storage or use an external hard drive.

If you want it to look real nice you can even get an inexpensive case for it.
>>
>>55776683
I was planning to use an external drive.
>>
>>55776548
Raspberry pi is a chore for deskop usage
>>
normal browsing needs at least 512mb of ram
1gb is more comfy
2gb is enough
>>
>>55776548
get a shitty used thinkpad or elitebook or something
>>
For personal comfort I would pay the $50 for a t61 thinkpad. More easily portable as well.
>>
File: dummy.png (439KB, 1120x848px) Image search: [Google]
dummy.png
439KB, 1120x848px
>>55776548
honestly just spend 180$ on a used t420, trying to do web browsing on the rpi is painfully slow.
>>
>>55776548
BananaPi M3

> more cores than your average amd
> less W than an intel
>>
Rpi is cheap iff you already have a lot of the stuff you need already.

If you also need keyboard, screen, sd card, power supply and case, I don't think it is a cheap solution.
Instead, you could get a used laptop for a better price.
>>
File: 406.jpg (73KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
406.jpg
73KB, 604x453px
OP here, I do have the peripherals needed. And I already have a t420.

I just wanted to see how cheap can you to get something that works for basic stuff.
>>
>>55778072
>moar cores
it will still be worse than old as fuck AMDs.
>>
>>55777526
I'd like to put something else in his mouth sempai
>>
>>55778160
I use my Pi as a computer sometimes. It can do work stuff and all that, but don't expect to do too much on it. It can run videos at various speeds and it takes a while to open Internet images sometimes. But it should work for you.
>>
File: 1468713761409.jpg (60KB, 600x466px) Image search: [Google]
1468713761409.jpg
60KB, 600x466px
>>55778379
thx!
>>
>>55776548
Just buy a used thinkpad t400 so you can run Windows 7 or 10 and get real work done. They're like 80 USD on ebay.
>>
File: adasd.jpg (88KB, 802x520px) Image search: [Google]
adasd.jpg
88KB, 802x520px
Browse craigslist or your local equivalent and ask around if your friends have any extra stuff they want to get rid of. Pic related,

>a HP dc5800 from an university that was getting rid of their old hardware
>a keyboard, a mouse, a monitor and an extra 4GB of DDR2 from a friend working at an IT department
>a GT 640 from another friend's old prebuilt that he got rid of

The only thing I paid money for was the computer itself, which cost me ten euros.
>>
>>55780137
>dat pic
damn...
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.