[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just imagine what could be possible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 8088_CPU_video.jpg (34KB, 609x377px) Image search: [Google]
8088_CPU_video.jpg
34KB, 609x377px
if people still gave a shit about squeezing the TINIEST BIT of performance out of today's hardware instead of going "lol, today 8GB ram and 4 cores are standard, my version of solitaire only causes 40% cpu usage, gonna call it a day"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0h8BUUboP0
>>
just imagine what would be possible if op spent his time learning to code rather than sucking a bunch of cocks
>>
>>55771899
Being demo-tier autistic about optimization does nothing but produce un-portable, impossible to maintain software that takes forever to develop. Developers could certainly do more to squeeze more out of the bountiful computing power we have available to us today, however.
>>
>>55771899
Wow that's actually pretty impressive how they got such a thing running on Cpu Intel 8088 4,77mhz, 640 Ko Ram, Hard disk controller ide 8bits ADP50 with 200Mo Hard disk, Sound Blaster 2.0.
Very impressive.
>>
>>55772094
>produce un-portable, impossible to maintain software that takes forever to develop
that's true though. what a shame.
>>
>>55772094
>Linux
Fully in C, with assembly for very low level init and SIMD. Can be compiled using a decade and a half old GCC release. Maintained by an entire small country's army, with huge amounts of code changed per day (100k on a quiet day during a merge period).

>FFmpeg
C, but most of the code has SIMD paths, written and optimized by hand. Can be compiled on any platform made during the last 20 years, with any sane or insane (MSVC) compiler. Maintained by a group of drunk drug-crazed assembly maniacs.

>Chromium
C++, can be compiled to run on shit (random ARM tablets), bigger shit (ChromeOS), shitting shit (Android), vomit puke and shit (random ARM chips from shady chink joint). Maintained by an army of people who hate themselves.

See anon, just a few examples of projects demo-autistic about performance which are still portable, maintainable and getting the most of what they run on.
>>
>>55771899
have you ever seen the autistic amount of optimization that goes into writing demos?

You can't be expected to do that for all your software.
I agree with your sentiment tho.
If android apps were written in C and not java, android battery life would be so much better.
>>
>>55772338
>Can be compiled using a decade and a half old GCC release
linux since 4.4 can only be compiled with GCC 4.9+
>>
>>55772465
Huh, I thought the only thing which needed 4.9 were the canaries, but those are optional.
>>
>>55772338
I don't think you could even compare those to the level of autism that goes into demos, especially the one in the OP that's handling 60fps video on hardware that was considered shit-tier even when it was new 30 years ago.
>>
>>55771899
I could watch anime on my watch
>>
>Up to 60fps in that old piece of shit
what the fug
>>
>>55771899
You mean like netsurf?
>>
>>55771899
That's seriously impressive. Given that he optimized his original demo further to get that, I wonder if something similar to his original demo could be achieved on one of the weaker personal computers from the time period.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.