[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

mAh vs Wh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 18mpenleoksq8jpg.jpg (41KB, 636x477px) Image search: [Google]
18mpenleoksq8jpg.jpg
41KB, 636x477px
Why do people measure the amount of energy a battery holds in mAh and not Wh? What's the point of talking about the charge, when the actual energy still depends on the voltage?

>pic unrelated
>>
Why do people measure energy in mAh instead of Joules?
>>
mAh gives a bigger number which sells more batteries, most people don't know wtf mAh, Wh or even Joules are, they only want big numbers.
>>
Same reason people use cm/in to measure the lengths of your dick instead of kilometers and miles.

You don't see people saying "my penis is 6.313×10^-5 miles long" or "my penis is 1.016×10^-4 km long"
>>
>>55770804
Except centimeters and kilometers are both measures of distance. Amps and Watts are different types of measurement.
>>
>>55770804
The problem is, that E = U * Q, while E being measured in Wh (1 Wh = 3.6 kJ), U in Volts and Q in Ah (1 Ah = 3.6 kC). Therefore the energy is bound to the voltage, which can vary from battery to battery and is never told.
>>
>>55769551
It's all relative. Both Wh and mAh change based on discharge rate, and voltage + mAh can give you a better idea of how many cells are in the thing, which is useful to some.
>>
It barely matters, your average user wouldn't know how to (or care enough to) calculate how much theoretical battery life they get from a given battery, and anyone who could do those calculations won't have trouble converting a few units anyway.
>>
>>55769551
A = C/s
1 mAh = mC/s * 3600 s = 3.6 C

You literally could have googled it.
>>
>>55773861
What the OP is saying is that you'd still need to factor in potential to get the actual energy.
>>
>>55773927
It makes no difference since you don't need to know the actual energy to know how much capacity is left in the battery. The capacity is dependent on charge, not voltage. Knowing the voltage only lets you know what the energy is, which doesn't matter.
>>
for things like battery banks, it will be regulated 5v output, so you just use that as a standard value.
>>
>>55770714
Then why not use mili-watt hour?
>>
>>55775692
>>55769580
>>55769551
Q is charge in battery [Ah]
W is energy in battery [Wh]

Ah in base unit is Ampere*3600*seconds i.e. A*3600*s

While Wh in base unit is Watt*3600*seconds = ... = (kg*m^2)*s^-2*3600

See the difference?
>>
>>55774141
is that necessarily the case or...?

sorry for the stupid question
>>
>>55774141
Battery banks are even worse. Say you have one with 10.000 mAh. The battery nominally has 3.7V. That would make ~5.400 mAh at 5V.
Now to make things even worse, the voltage is not stable. Depending on how far they overcharge the battery (increases capacity, reduces useful cycles), it may start at as high at 4.2V and drop to some 3.2V or so when the charge is depleted.

And so, Wh would be a much more accurate measure for the consumer, because it includes the drop of voltage in the calculation, but it also makes things MUCH more complicated to measure.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.