[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternative to ms word

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1442070630734.png (493KB, 1312x1982px) Image search: [Google]
1442070630734.png
493KB, 1312x1982px
I decided to ask /g/ since there's people here who know alot of alternatives to software like this. I was wondering if anyone could suggest an alternative to microsoft word but that has a good and possibly similar UI to it.

This dumb laptop only gave me a trial and word has always been the easiest thing to use since it's staple. I tried Libre office but I don't like it's interface and how it makes all of my previously word files all clustered. Is there a better alternative?
>>
>>55764576
Not really.
>>
LibreOffice is the best alternative. The fact that your word files are messed up is the fault of Microsoft, for using a proprietary format and intentionally breaking compatibility with other office suites.
>>
>>55764587
Darn

>>55764594
Fair enough then, thought it was the other way round. I'll just make libre my default and get used to it then.
>>
>>55764576
>>55764594
I would use LibreOffice, even though I like the ribbon interface which LibreOffice doesn't add as an OPTION just because of i-hate-micro$oft!!111 freetard autism, but Word 2010 was the last version with decent proofreading tools for my language.

After Office 2010, Microsoft ended the partnership with the local company that provided the proofreading tools, and decided to create their own tools, but it sucks big time. Even the most current Word 2016 version won't highlight obvious grammar mistakes akin to "the boy like girls".
>>
>>55764949
I mean that Word 2010 is the most recent software in general with decent proofreading tools for my language. LibreOffice's proofreading sucks as much as Word 2013+.
>>
>>55764576
Source ?
>>
The best suite I've found is Google docs. After switching to Linux based distros I used libre office and it was functional but has a horrible looking UI to me. Google docs is amazing. Has everything I could need and it auto saves all changes made as you type so if you have a power outage there's no need to worry. It's very simple to switch computers and keep working because of this.

Also, if you have the need to collaborate with other people the ability to share your documents is really nice as you can see what edits have been made. With this said, I'm a student so it works for me but if you need any of the advanced features that word offers it may not have them. It's worth a try though.
>>
>>55766462
This.

If you're on Linux and you're a student, Google Docs is the most useful text formatting application. It may lack some features, but it includes the basics necessary to churn out essays and share assets easily (especially if your campus pays google for email and file storage).

If you need anything more advanced, LaTeX fills this niche. Microsoft Word / LibreOffice Writer occupy that middle ground in functionality between Google Docs and LaTeX that most Linux users don't actually need.

Of course, if you're on Windows, and Google Docs just doesn't cut it, you're better off just getting a cracked Microsoft Office.
>>
Just fucking pirate it
>>
Make a free Outlook.com account.

Access Word Online.
>>
>>55764949
Microsoft controls IP regarding ribbon UIs, and is currently suing Corel over it.
Libreoffice avoids it out of necessity.
>>
>>55765117
DeDeDeDe
>>
Sharelatex
Overleaf
Any latex ide
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.