[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When's the glass coming back? I'm tired of the flat meme.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

File: vista_orb_by_fediafedia.png (75KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
vista_orb_by_fediafedia.png
75KB, 256x256px
When's the glass coming back?

I'm tired of the flat meme.
>>
File: Sin título.png (334KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Sin título.png
334KB, 1440x900px
>When's the glass coming back?
But it never left.
>>
>>55763494
>Carlos
>>
As an amateur designer, I hope never.
Making a flat design requries UI design skills and little effort in actual graphics design. Making a skeuomorphic design also requires skills in graphics design, therefore we would have more apps looking like shit.
Look back at what amateurish or open source applications looked like before the "flat meme". That's right, shit.
>>
>>55763450
Has Microsoft ever considered that maybe, maybe perhaps it could be a potent idea to, you know, give users the choice of their window manager theme? This is a basic feature of all other wondow managers. There was no reason to remove the W95 theme from Vista, there was no reason to remove Glass from 8 and there was no reason to make Metro uglier and more plain in 10.

Microsoft needs to stop making decisions. They are terrible at it.
>>
>>55763516
So, you're saying that it takes professionals to design quality interfaces? Just like it takes professional engineers to design quality buildings? NO WAY
>>
Hopefully never
>>
>>55763597
Just like how you can use holo on android 5.1 and upwards or the glass interface in ios 7 and upwards
>>
File: win98.png (7KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
win98.png
7KB, 640x480px
>glass

superior aesthetic coming through
>>
>it's the neo-luddite thread again
>>
File: Untitled (35).jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled (35).jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>55763494
ikr, i love it c:

>>55764454
>hurrrr
>>
>>55763516
As a professional designer and artists, i can only say that 8.1's metro is garbage and 10 looks like it was made by 10 different pepole with different ideas.
7 wasn't really good, but it wasn't bad either.
It's clearly better than the others.
>>
>>55763450
Hopefully never, it's hideous and looks like it was made up by a 12 year old, especially the Windows 7 theme, looks like something you'd download off of Deviantart.
>>
>>55763450
Glass is shit, a MS's clone of Tiger Aqua

But not all textured GUIs are bad -- late Aqua (Mountain Lion) looked interesting.

Also please don't confuse skeuomorphism with textured -- one is about how UI works, and other is about how UI works. I'd be glad if we actually got a non-skeuomorphic UI in Windows or OS X, but we only got the old skeuomorphic UI which looks like shit.
>>
>>55764418
I think you mean A E S T H E T I C1994 リサフランク
>>
>>55764418
this is just a ripoff of NeXTSTEP
>>
>>55764622
>skeuomorphism
Vista/7 is not skeuomorphism, I hope you realise that. Skeuomorphism would imply actual metal, leather, wood, etc. On 7 you only have some gradients and a gaussian blur which resemble nothing from real life.
>>
>>55764660
It is skeuomorphic. The calculator looks like real life one. The desktop is almost like the desk top. The analog clock that pops out when clicked on time looks like a real one. It behaves like real life too.
>>
File: win7_updates.png (12KB, 683x118px) Image search: [Google]
win7_updates.png
12KB, 683x118px
>>55763494
Exactly.

>download MSDN iso from archive.org
>download NTLite (it's free)
>download all your driver .infs/dlls
>download pic related updates (the large one is the "2016 Convenience Rollup" with all prior updates, aka SP2)
>slipstream that shit
>write to USB stick using Rufus
There you go, a fully updated Windows 7. No need to wait hours for it to update on fresh install anymore, and it has all drivers in it, provided you integrated them.
>>
>>55764682
>The calculator looks like real life one.
Well would you prefer to have the number keys all in onre row? You could make your argument to the calculator from WIn10 as well, or every other calculator for that matter.

>>55764682
>. The desktop is almost like the desk top.
Eh?

>>55764682
>The analog clock that pops out when clicked on time looks like a real one.
Again, same as the calculator. Would you want a progressbar divided in 12 parts?
>>
File: shine.jpg (528KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shine.jpg
528KB, 1920x1080px
>>55763450
>wanting the ugly shit I replace with Shine every time I install Win7

Why?
>>
I will never get this weird nostalgia going on over the late 00's right now.
>>
File: .png (224KB, 1336x539px) Image search: [Google]
.png
224KB, 1336x539px
>>55764715
Think different. It even more applies to desktop: the 'file' and 'folder' concept are taken from real life and so do icons plastered on the wallpaper
>>
>>55764777
vista is from mid 2000s though
>>
>>55764796
>>55764796
>the 'file' and 'folder' concept are taken from real life and so do icons plastered on the wallpaper
So you want to complicate things for no reason? Whatever.
>>
>>55764851
complicate? it'd be the opposite if we actually gave up skeuomorphism
>>
>>55764689
Doesn't that bake in the botnet W10 updates too?
>>
>>55763450
I think the best Windows theme is the classic one. But it is removed in Windows 10, :(.
>>
>>55764418
Look at that text rendering, the faux 3D buttons, the hyper-pixelated hyper-aliased icons, the bland colours. It had to go.

There is no advantage to this "aesthetic" for non-hipsters who don't see retro technology as superior.
>>
File: 8-Start1.png (3MB, 2846x1600px) Image search: [Google]
8-Start1.png
3MB, 2846x1600px
>>55763450
I like seeing all of my information at a glance. Emails, calendar appointments, weather, news updates, Xbox Live updates, Twitter updates, Facebook updates, etc.
>>
>>55765877
nothing prevents you from doing that in a textured way?
>>
I don't hate flat design, but why does it have to be flat AND matte all the time?
>>
>>55765853
>>Look at that text rendering, the faux 3D buttons, the hyper-pixelated hyper-aliased icons, the bland colours.
there's nothing wrong with any of that

the role of a UI isn't to serve as a platform for pretentious graphic designers arguing about what the next big aesthetic ought to be. The UI should get out of the way and be simple and functional. Windows Classic did that well. It's also much more compact than the interface formerly known as Metro - poor information density is a huge problem nowadays. Look at all the empty space here >>55765877

There's no reason for computer interfaces to change every few years. Change for change's sake is not a good thing.
>>
>>55764564
>STALKER
>Metro
Hello slav with good taste.
>>
File: HIPSTERSUM_3341651k.jpg (90KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
HIPSTERSUM_3341651k.jpg
90KB, 858x536px
>>55766006
>there's nothing wrong with any of that

Not if you're a hipster. The rest of us want to live in the 21st century and look forward, not backward.
>>
>>55766037
In other words, you want the styles to change for no reason so that you can buy a new version of the same thing and fool yourself into thinking that it's much different and more modern, despite it doing just what the old model did.

Yes, there's a reason brands and retailers love people like you, but that reason has everything to do with the bottom line and nothing to do with progress.
>>
>>55763450
>When's the glass coming back?
Never or when Google and MS will merge
>>
>muh glass
Windows 7 : ripping off kde 4
Windows 10 : ripping off kde 5
>>
>>55765853
>>55766037

I don't think you're understanding the point >>55766167 is trying to make. The UI design of Windows Classic is pure function with minimal frills. Some people like it for this fact alone, others like it for its charm. I'm one of these people. I also like the minimalist phase things are in now, however the current, end state, of UI design is a revolving door to prevent people from getting bored. People will get bored of minimalism and then want busier UI elements again. Then they'll get bored of busy UI elements and go back to minimalistic.

Windows Classic existed in its state based on pure necessity. PCs at that time did not have the power to run reliably and have flashy animations, over designed UI elements. Again, it existed outside of the revolving door that UI design has now fallen into.
>>
>>55766305
When you used to move a window in older versions of Windows, you would only see the outline of the window move and then the window itself would move once you released the mouse button. We have more than enough computing power to move the entire window in real-time. Sticking to classic methods is counterproductive.
>>
>>55763516
God you're an idiot.
>>
>>55766037
>Appeal to novelty fallacy
>>
>>55766333
>When you used to move a window in older versions of Windows, you would only see the outline of the window move and then the window itself would move once you released the mouse button. We have more than enough computing power to move the entire window in real-time.
So? What does it add to be able to see the window contents while you're dragging the window? Why should we use that extra computing power just because its there?

Same applies to more recent UIs. Much is made of how Aero is GPU accelerated. What does it do with that power? Frills and fluff. Transparency, animations, gradients, and a bunch of other things that are just tinsel. The principle of a UI should be "Do everything that must be done, and do nothing that doesn't need to be done"

If the purpose of a feature is just to look good, it doesn't need to be done.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.