[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Linux Mint so comfy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: comfy.png (786KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
786KB, 1920x1080px
Why is Linux Mint so comfy?
>>
>>55759857
because it's so simple
>>
>>55759857
Because you are an idiot.
>>
>>55759891
>Because hurr durr
Meanwhile your Arch install breaks 4 times a day, while he has an out of the box functional OS.
>>
you know there are arc icons too

only problem I have with cinnamon is that nemo is pretty slow
>>
>>55759906
>mint

enjoy your built in malware
>>
>>55759906
>Arch install breaks 4 times a day

I've been using Arch for a year now and it has never "broken", is that just a meme, or is it something people who've never used Arch say?
>>
Mint isn't comfy
Cinnamon + 50 bloat packages is

Mint favours not updating a kernel to keep stability
It's GUI frontend to dpkg/apt is slow

Enjoy your rootkit
>>
>>55759865
This. Why use GUI apps for doing simple configurations when you can google the corresponding terminal command, figure out how to use it with "man command", and forget it immediately after?
>>
It just works. It looks nice. Cinnamon has good customization options. It takes the GUI seriously, and it triggers autistic fucks on /g/. It's the perfect distro.
>>
File: cap.png (141KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
141KB, 1366x768px
>>55759982
Nothing triggers /g autist and freetards like pic related.
>>
>>55759857
Nothing comfy bout this.
>>
>>55760005
You mean Mexican?
>>
What's with the sudden influx of tripfags?
>>
>>55759971
I'm a former Arch user.
>Video driver update. No video. Had to SSH to fix. No biggie.
>Pulseaudio update. No sound. Switched to Alsa like I should have been using the from the start. My bad.
>Bluez4 update. Headset now vibrates when audio starts playing. Mouse unreliable. Can't fix.
I got sick of fixing stuff and installed Debian netinst. Haven't had an issue ever.
>>
>>55759891
/thread
>>
Unity < Cinnamon
Numix + Unity > Cinnamon + Numix
>>
What's the best looking DE with ubuntu? I'm currently running xfce (with Numix icons) and it looks nice, but still a little bleh
>>
>>55760138
>install Debian
>can only use ethernet
>install Crunchbang++
>Wi-Fi works out of the box
Alright.
>>
>>55760138
I have had the first two happen on Debian when I used to swear by it,
idk about the third because I never used bluetooth devices,
though I never could get wiimotes to work in dolphin.

I am now running Arch on my desktop and it's running pretty smoothly so far in the short while that I've used it.
I'll probally miss debian at some point but whatever. *shrugs*
>>
>>55760263
Cinnamon
>>
>>55760263
I like mate personally.
>>
>>55760075
It's summertime anon, and the living is easy.
>>
>>55760263
I use xfce too cause it's light and customizable, but the best looking DE I've used was Deepin, it was based on Ubuntu when I tried it a year ago but they switched to Debian Testing, you should try it. It's chinese but I don't give a fuck about it
>>
>>55760263
Gnome 3 looks great with the Numix gtk theme and Numix icons. I hated using it at first, but it's my favorite DE after some tweaking. Nautilus is still garbage, Nemo is where it's at.
Unity looks good with the Numix gtk theme and icons. Turn off the Amazon stuff and you're good to go.
The Paper icon set is also worth looking into if you like the simplicity of Numix.
>>
>>55760005
>unironically using shitty ass translations in your OS
why
>>
>>55759857
I know right. Who would have thought built-in trojans were so comfy
>>
Fedora + gnome. Cinnamon is nice but I don't like it.
>>
>>55760138
>>55760138
All of my fucking this.

I'm a fairly experienced Arch user but fuck me does it take a lot of fucking around.

I switched to using Ubuntu based distros and I can actually get important shit done quickly now.

I do miss the AUR though.
>>
>>55760299
Debian non-free. Everything works out of the box because it includes all the non-free firmware. Crunchbang is for babies.
>>55760306
Pulseaudio is garbage. It doesn't matter what distro you use. Debian can crap out if you are using the proprietary video driver. Using non-free makes this a non-issue.
I miss pacman and aur, but I feel at home on Debian. I need to do less to customize it and any changes I make always work perfectly.
>>
>>55760423
It may be more popular nowadays, but apt-get and .deb packages are a Debian thing.

Arch was a great canvas that encourages customization. I learned a lot using Arch that I can use on any other distro. The Arch wiki is still a useful resource in most situations no matter what distro.
AUR is almost worth putting up with Arch for.
>>
>>55760263
Either run Cinnamon, KDE or rice xfce to look like OS X if you prefer the macfag look
>>
File: AllLaughter.webm (819KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
AllLaughter.webm
819KB, 640x480px
>>55759978
>>
>>55759857
It's very functional. Great update manger too. I've noticed it's a lot more stable then Ubuntu. I've also noticed the compatible is much worse. I've had a hard time with programs that works on Debian and Ubuntu.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-26_17-10-22.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-26_17-10-22.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>55760558
Forgot screenshot
>>
>>55760472
I never had issues with non-free nvidia drivers
>>
>>55759957
>>55759976
>>55760399

>"Mint is insecure"
>"But AUR is alright guys"

Holy shit, how can Arch users be this delusional
>>
>>55759857
Because for some reason you enjoy the "start menu on a taskbar" desktop paradigm that we came up with in the 70's.
>>
>>55760613
You would be a fool to use them. If you try to install the proprietary drivers on the non-free version Debian won't be happy about it when you reboot.
>>55760628
Obviously not the same people.
>>
>>55760628
>Arch users
Do you suffer from PTSD, faggot?
>>
>>55759857
>installed mint 18 because everyone was like "mint so comfy"
>install was easy
>mint wad identified as ubuntu in efi, not good, this looks sloppy
>then the problems started
>programs crashed after a few seconds
>time was updated automatically from the internet and couldn't turn it off
>the option was changed but after a restart it got restored
>mint was using utc time in hw clock and couldn't change it to local time
>no option in the gui
>the advice from other distros and mint's forum didn't work
>mint forums sucked, everyone was like "it werks for me" and all the advice was terrible and outdated
>the updates were awful
>mint took apt and broke it in tiers
>tiers
>wtf is this? why some updates may break the os?
>is this what is considered stable in the ((((new open source))))?
>cinnamon is a reskin of gnome 3 shell
>it has all the problems of gnome 3 shell: quirky compositor that can't turn off
>it's worse though
>the animations in mint are awfull and childish, in gnome 3 at least the animations make sense and are in good taste
>gnome 3 is trying some new ideas, is having a dock like launcher while mint is using a win95 inspired taskbar and start menu
>a fucking win95 inspired taskbar and start menu! fuck this shit
>mint comes with a built in firefox
>it has a square icon
>why the fuck mozilla allowed this?
>mint's firefox is riddled with ads
>it comes with a mint brander yahoo search, the defaults are different, the hope page is different
>it comes with built in plugins like flash and divx and shit
>I don't trust what other ((((changes)))) they have made in firefox

And that's when I had enough and installed Debian Jessie and XFCE
It feels like coming back home

>my hardware works
>apt works without the tier nonsense
>I can configure the system to my liking, install everything I want without giving up control
>I can control the compositor, install a binary driver if I want, etc

tl;dr mint is shit
>>
slackware is for real programmers
>>
>>55760811
>You would be a fool to use them. If you try to install the proprietary drivers on the non-free version Debian won't be happy about it when you reboot.
I've used proprietery drivers on Debian exlusively.
They just werked for me. I also ran many games natively,
and played a bunch of ffxiv at one point in wine, no issues.

Though I managed to somehow make apt very unhappy and couldn't install anything without like 500+ conflicts before making the switch, (though everything I needed was working fine, I guess)
I kept my system without updates for several months, before I just gave in.
Though it's likely I'll miss Debian at some point and maybe not be an idiot next time, but so far Arch is alright.
>>
Why is cinnamon so laggy?
>>
>>55760865

Works on my machine :^)
>>
>>55760925
Though installing nvidia drivers on arch was noticebly easier and simpler from what it seemed.
>>
>>55760865
((((kill yourself))))
>>
>>55760263
Gnome svell or kde neon
>>
File: 1442155260393.jpg (181KB, 688x1434px) Image search: [Google]
1442155260393.jpg
181KB, 688x1434px
>>55759891
Archfag detected
>>
>>55761869
>Anyone calls me for what I am is an Archfag
idiot
>>
Why does the cinnamon taskbar dragging work like shit?
>>
Does Mint still bundle non-free software with the installation?

That used to be their thing, attracting newfags with flash etc.
>>
>>55762119
>flash
I recently installed Mint 18 (only to nuke it soon after it became obvious it is shit) and yes they still bundle flash (and advertise it in the installer)

Why?

Even winfags are removing flash, safari in mac doesn't support flash anymore, no mobile device (ios, android) support flash and that's good because flash was a bug of hurt for every platform, a battery drain and a security nightmare

How deluded can someone be to want to use linux on the desktop and install also flash?
>>
KDE masterpiece
>>
>>55759857
wallpaper please?
>>
>>55763955
Comes with Mint 18. Don't have it here though.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.