[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

State of OSes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 431.jpg (24KB, 238x302px) Image search: [Google]
431.jpg
24KB, 238x302px
>W7 up to SP2 is stable, need PPnX fixed so printer drivers are not auto-installed,this is major leak in security if provided an infected 'all purpose driver'. Most drivers W7 work and is widely supported + stable
>W10 you pay for with telemetry info. There is no way around this. MS is in a race to build AI with Google and Amazon, and has guaranteed its info trade with 'free W10'.
>W10 suffers from lack of W7 lack of 10 year vendor support
>software in W10 is forked. Consumer Apps vs Applications. Hybrid consumer model and classic desktop environment still not present
>Id rather use pirated windows 7 with a firewall to intercept any malicious outbound traffic from my desktop than telemetry updated W7, embedded telemetry W10, or lack of drivers and not enough time linux
>I advise majority users to use hyperv 2016 host with container for W10 VM, use paragon software to restore it to your machine when needed, and use W7 primary if you game, linux if developer and have time, W7 developer if you are developer and strapped for time.
>Linux at this time lacks three things: Solid community, standardization of commands and utilities, and hardware support. Like OSI TCP/IP in 1990s, there must be a standard for developers to go by. There is simply too many good bytes of software, but they are so scattered that a user has to install a new distro and relearn the environment specific to that linux flavor every time. Example: Yum, apt-get, pacman, wget, etc. I should be able to go from Debian to Redhat and do the same thing without googling every command and obscure environment item.
>Unix-like OSes (FreeBSD for example) require time. Need a 'ubuntu' like solution *TODO: plug and play like solution
> OSX: needs more enterprise support by far. Fuck. And the small amount of 'provided' enterprise support requires high pay to parent company. Outsourcing software resources should not be the go-to solution for OSX.

Share your thoughts.
>>
>>55759736
I want to be clear:
You don't have to jump to another distro. for linux software to work, but it is very easy for newcomers to switch to an entirely different distro. where 'it just works' instead of spending another hour figuring out why ten commands don't work in their current distro.
Its that generation of 'it just works' here.
>in same respect, if the same application installation commands and scripting commands worked in major distributions without quams, you'd find new users staying after their initial linux ventures, where they might vacate after initial failed out of box attempt.
>>
>>55759736
>>55759775
>I advise majority users to use hyperv 2016 host with container for W10 VM
>users
Maybe we have different users but half of mine think turning the monitor off turns off their entire computer.
>>
>>55760157
In capitalist America, you don't use computer... computer uses you.
>>
>>55760157
Right. To be specific, I mean for sysadmins, folks of the board.

Hopefully some of the NEETS get ahold of hyperV from this and learn a thing or two.
>>
>>55759736
I'm a developer, got no time, and fuck wangblows.
Using gentoo now - you'd be surprised how small is the amount of time it consumes for the maintenance. It's an install and forget thing. Yeah, once in a week you compile shit, install it and reboot, which is usually done overnight. I consumed a lot more of time for maintenance of my old debian testing.
Also, there's no 'standard', there's good software that feels cozier to you, while being shittier to me and vice versa, there's plain bad software. And no, the bullshit written by redhat and canonical is no standard, but yet another attempt to write shitty software but with some support behind its back. Being a microsoft wannabe will not make them good software houses.

Since i need something for the gaymes, even if I'm not gaymen since long time, - I'll probably put win7 with KVM on my desktop with GPU passthru and use that.

Also, I'm waiting for a decent 14" thunderbolt3-enabled laptop. That MSI and Razer shit are simply not acceptable.
>>
File: nPY6Pzh.gif (3MB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
nPY6Pzh.gif
3MB, 600x337px
>>55760818
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.