[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MySQL and SQL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I want to get into SQL and MySQL, can somebody recommend some ebooks or resources to get me started?
>>
>>55747714
yes, google whatever you want to know. reading books is a scam by Big Literature. stay woke, friend.
>>
>>55747714
Database Management Systems by Ramakrishnan & Gehrke. It's not about any specific DBMS but it's the best academic book on the topic.
>>
I taught this was good

http://sqlbolt.com/
>>
yea learning sql by itself is going to be really useful
>>
>>55748006

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic, what's the problem?
>>
>>55747714
If you're going to learn about databases, you ought to learn SQL standards, especially those pertaining to normalization and key constraints. And if you learn all that (you should!), you might as well use a database system that supports those (very, very important) things out of the box.

Please, please, don't bother with MySQL. Learn / practice on Oracle (if you have access, at school most likely) or Postgres (if you need a FOSS alternative).

And fwiw, I'm saying this as a fairly normie data scientist, not some basement dweller intent on hating everything you love.
>>
>>55747714
Learn Oracle/Postgre instead. MySQL has a lot of issues that they never fix, especially with procedures and triggers.
>>
>>55747714
this
>>55748210
>>55748233
PostgreSQL is more feature rich and better overall than MySQL. MySQL is pretty much an abandon-ware at this point since Oracle owns it.
>>
>>55748347
>>55748233
>>55748210
Fuck! That's going to be the database of choice for my web programming class! I feel like I'm wasting my goddamn time
>>
>>55748371
Most of the SQL syntax is common in all DBs except of M$-SQL who has their own T-SQL. So it won't be a total waste.
>>
I don't have literature for you but I can tell you what you'll need to learn.
First you should read up on what a database even is (duh), then read about the architecture of relational databases (normally 3 layers) and the difference between OLAT and OLTP, big data, relational vs object oriented, etc.
If you're going with a standard relational database system like mysql, you'll want to learn how to design a database, using UML, Entity-Relationship and the Relational Model.
Before you even start learning sql, you'll have to learn the basics of Linear Algebra, I recommend your local college for that. Then you'll want to get into Relational Algebra, and then finally you can start with learning the basics of SQL.
Before you actually get to try it out though I recommend learning how to use Linux or other Unix like systems, and then you should install a real database management system and not MySQL. I recommend Postgresql.
Then you can practice your sql skills and move on to more advanced topics like using stored procedures, doing recursion in SQL, and using sql in your favorite language like java or php. Do watch out for sql injection though.
Good luck
>>
>>55748371
If you have to use it for class, don't worry. The language doesn't change much between systems; the problem with MySQL is more that it ignores or doesn't support some data definition type things. Search YouTube for "Postgres vs MySQL" and you're bound to find some demos of the anomalies.
>>
>>55748371
not really, MySQL is widely used, is ok when you need a fast and simple database, there are better options, mysql is a good way to start.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/sqlite-vs-mysql-vs-postgresql-a-comparison-of-relational-database-management-systems
http://insights.dice.com/2015/03/19/why-i-choose-postgresql-over-mysqlmariadb/
>>
>>55748371
well the point is to teach you the fundamentals anyway so you should grasp concepts and not focus on the flavor
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.