[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a Linux ultrabook. Right now Im looking at putting it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: download (1).jpg (4KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
4KB, 318x159px
I need a Linux ultrabook. Right now Im looking at putting it on a current Thinkpad X1 Carbon. Anyone do this before? Any show stopping issues? ( I don really care if crap like hibernate works.)
>>
>>55746901
>two memes in one
Good, practical thinking.
>>
>>55746901
>current Thinkpad X1 Carbon. Anyone do this before?
I did it with the previous (2015) gen.
>Any show stopping issues?
RAM is soldered, so you have what you buy it with for all time. and 16GB are hard to find and fucking expensive. However with a fast SSD, swapping isnt the showstopper it used to be. Still, I am kinda worried about my 8GB.
The keyboard, while miles better than anything you'd find at best buy, is still shit, compared to old thinkpads. Not enough travel and missing keys. Also, not spillproof. The whole machine feels nowhere near as sturdy, as the old ones did. Also, when using it in a train or plane, the fucking screen moves!! Never happened with the old hinges.
And thanks to >muh thinness, the front is an abolute wristcutter, even when you use it on a fuckin desk.
I'd suggest to get the T460s, I think that's a bit better in that regard.
>>
Definitely get the T460s or T450s
It's only marginally heavier but extensible with 1 RAM slot and up to 2x SSD (2.5" and M2)
>>
>>55746901
I don't have a X1 specifically, but intel graphics are well supported on linux.
The wifi also works on all thinkpads I have seen.

I think there is one version of the X1 where they replaced the f-row with some touch bullshit.
I don't know, but that might be a problem, but I don't care enough to research it.

Crap like hibernate works on my machines though.
>>
I have an X1 Carbon with Ubuntu 15.10, works amazing but the OS has some problems
>>
File: adaptive-keyboard.jpg (334KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
adaptive-keyboard.jpg
334KB, 1920x1080px
>>55746901
Just avoid the 2nd generation X1 Carbon (2014) as it has the Adaptive Keyboard mentioned by >>55747089

>>55746966
Enabling zram helps with the memory pressure on low ram Linux systems.
>>
>>55747860
>Enabling zram helps with the memory pressure on low ram Linux systems.
>zram
as in this?:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zram
I dont get it. Save RAM space, by putting /swap into RAM? That does not add up, but maybe I'm just being stupid.

As long as OP is not that stupid to get a 4GB machine, I wouldnt really call the X1 a
>low ram Linux system
8GB is still quite OK, and probably will stay workable for quite a while, but since we are on /g/, no one here has any troubles to fill those 8GB to the brink, wihtout doing anything really outlandish. Firefox alone takes over 1GB at them moment, and chrome uses another GB, as does each of the 3 ipython instances I have running. Leaves only 3GB for the OS and random other stuff like pdf and music and some spreadsheets and textfiles.
>>
>>55747950
>what is memory compression?
Kernel reserves part of real memory to be used as high priority swap. Anything put into this swap is compressed first. This allows having more stuff in memory before disk swap is needed.

This feature is heavily used by Android and Chromebook systems while most desktop Linux distributions don't enable it by default. Windows 10 and macOS have their own memory compression features.

My own experience is that enabling zram makes the 8GB go considerably further and helps to keep the system more responsive even if low memory conditions are met.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.