[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people root Android phones?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: sleeping plutie.jpg (165KB, 560x614px) Image search: [Google]
sleeping plutie.jpg
165KB, 560x614px
Why do people root Android phones?
>>
File: 1469382164.png (225KB, 815x958px) Image search: [Google]
1469382164.png
225KB, 815x958px
you should kill yourself weeaboo
>>
>>55734882
because some apps require root permission to work
normal apps are usually sand-boxed and can't interfere with other apps or system functionality
it's a security risk but your phone is already backdoored by default, so...
>>
File: 1467872958963.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1467872958963.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>55734882
PLOOOTA!
>>
>>55734917
It's only a security risk if you don't use a superuser application (to manage what apps have root access) and a proper screen lock.
>>
>>55734882
blocking ads

that's really the only reason I still do it
>>
>>55734976

Why not use Firefox then? Firefox supports extensions, just download uBlock Origin and all your ads are gone.
>>
>>55735008
Not him, but AdAway blocks all ads, including those in other apps.
>>
>>55735008
That would only block ads in firefox

The YouTube app for example would still be riddled with ads, and despite in browser viewing or newpipe, the official YouTube app is still the best way to view youtube vids on mobile, the experience only being marred by ads. AdAway, and by extension rooting, solves this
>>
>>55734954
you are right but having an unlocked bootloader with access to the recovery mode open the way to a lot of physical attacks that would be unfeasible on a locked down phone
I don't know how to secure an unlocked phone so I don't root my primary phone anymore
>>
>>55735321
You don't always have to unlock the bootloader to achieve root (but if you can you will want to), and you can always relock the bootloader and reflash the stock recovery after rooting. The only downside to flashing stock recovery is that you'll no longer be able to flash any custom roms as you want, but there is a way to sign your own custom roms and allow the stock recovery to flash them. The guide is here https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/31765.html
>>
Because you need root to do some things
>>
i only had it to save nudes on snapchat easily by changing the .nomedia extension to jpg back in the day but now you cant do that anymore
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.