[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is lua a good starting point to get into programming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1460397999814.jpg (25KB, 250x284px) Image search: [Google]
1460397999814.jpg
25KB, 250x284px
Is lua a good starting point to get into programming?
>>
yes do it
you can delete thread now
>>
What are you going to do with lua ?

Go for Python or PHP if you want to do some web dev.
A bit latter, you'll discover JavaScript and you won't be using anything else as you can build front and back end of web apps with it.

Then, you'll learn C/C++ for low level.

Voilà, you can do pretty much anything at this point.
>>
>>55730339
Lua is good for learning and i know folks make games in it.

Google: LÖVE2d

++

DoubleFine actually uses it for gameplay programming

If you're JUST trying to learn concept before moving to something else, try Ruby or Python
>>
Is there a way to write C-style code and convert it to Lua? I don't like Lua's syntax desu
>>
>>55730439
dont use lua then?
>>
Tcl > Lua
>>
File: ENOUGH.jpg (29KB, 412x430px) Image search: [Google]
ENOUGH.jpg
29KB, 412x430px
>>55730381
>no haskell after c++
>>
>>55730510
>learning object-oriented programming before functional programming
Might as well off yourself. Object-oriented programming ruined my way of thinking and functional programming is difficult as fuck to learn now.
>>
>>55730554
good thing I dropped python before learning classes
haskell is easy m8
the strong typing makes everything make sense
if there was no typing, I'd say it would be pretty hard
>>
File: lua.jpg (103KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
lua.jpg
103KB, 900x675px
>>55730339
>>55730346
>>55730381
>>55730400
>>55730439
>>55730483
>>55730496
>>55730510
>>55730554
>>55730595

I used Lua around 2012. I liked it a lot, until I found other languages and realized that Lua was a mistake.

I liked the syntax until I saw that it was different just for the sake of it and inferior to other languages. Lua won't help you in the future and it'll teach poor habits. It certainly did for me and I regret it. Arrays don't start at 1, Lua. It probably still doesn't support Unicode.

I'd suggest JavaScript instead. Do not make the mistake of using Lua.

If JavaScript isn't your thing then you can go with Python. Maybe Ruby, but I can't speak much on it. PHP is much worse than Lua. It's extremely easy to pick up and learn, but just the whole system of it sucks. Even the documentation. If done properly it's amazing, but even by nature there are a lot of security flaws among other issues. I like PHP, but I also dislike PHP. Then again, there's two language types. The one everyone hates and the one no one uses.

JavaScript and Python is what I would recommend. I really love both. Maybe go with C#. Depends on what you want. /webdev/ or /gamedev/. Or just in general. I'm speaking from 2012 because I was a /v/irgin and used to /gamedev/ until I stopped being a manchild. :^)

I'd also suggest C# over C++ due to it being more friendlier and easier to get started with. I'd use it just for LINQ alone and how well it is for /gamedev/, but it depends on what you want to do in programming.

>TL;DR
Do not learn Lua. Learn JavaScript instead. Then move to Python. Then C#. It depends on what you want to do in programming, but that's a good starting point.
>>
>>55730339
Yes. Asking on /g/ is a bad starting point though. Go find a good tutorial.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.