[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Security

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: newboard.png (2MB, 1707x1132px) Image search: [Google]
newboard.png
2MB, 1707x1132px
We always have threads asking about how to hack x thing, let's have now a computer security thread, how does one avoid getting hacked/cracked, any recommended lectures/tutorials? i'm looking for security in email servers and webpages, but other types of tutorials are welcome too
>>
'pentesting' is the search term you're looking for
>>
>>55724776
This is really no longer a thing. Most sites these days are pretty secure now that the internet has has 20 years to mature. Most "hacks" are just social engineering which any 14 yr old can do.
>>
File: anti forensics.jpg (1013KB, 949x5065px) Image search: [Google]
anti forensics.jpg
1013KB, 949x5065px
>>55724806
>>55724833
well fuck, besides using fail2ban, encryption, HTTPS and similar, is there something else to add? i've heard about the securing debian manual but what other books are also a good read regarding security? i looked at the /g/ wiki but it doesn't go that deep when it comes to security, just apps, that's why i'm asking
>>
>>55724776
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Netsec_general

A few people made the thread a few times, but it never really gained enough traction to be a permanent thing.
>>
>>55724979
"Hardening Linux" is the book I went through when I wanted to learn a bit about the subject. I doubt it's the GNU/Linux security bible like K&R is the C bible, but I thought it was a pretty good overview for users like me who are new to security but familiar with GNU/Linux (it expects you to be understand file manipulation, permissions, basic networking, etc.). However, some of the stuff is outdated and the securing Debian manual goes over a lot of the same topics.

Also, I don't work in IT security, but my friends who do say the CISSP is pretty much the gold standard as far as certs go (but experience is always more important). So I'd also look into the subjects they want you to know for the exam.
>>
Install Gentoo. It's the most secure OS in history, being hacked 0 times ever.
>>
>>55724979
Thanks for posting the pic, was unaware of all of that
>>
>>55724979
Source for that infographic?
>>
>>55726753
it's at the bottom anon, but that site is dead, i wonder if we could investigate further about it
>>55726534
thanks for the recommendation, have a bump OP, also i'm looking for windows info like >>55724979
>>
>>55727251
for Windows start by looking into setting up non administrator accounts, software restriction policy, UAC, EMET, and using the Windows firewall if you haven't already.
>>
>>55724979
>is there a way to make windows secure?
idk, can you put a padlock on a piggybank?
>>
File: IMG_20160721_035708.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160721_035708.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
>>55724833
>social engineering
>any 14 yr old can do

Any 8 year old can do
>>
>>55728007
first off:
What are they both made of?
>>
Decentralisation of information is the ideal standard for security.

If everything is in one place it's easier for you and for your hacker, there's nothing to hack if you can put everything important somewhere inaccessible to the hackers.

For example a server unconnected to anything unless manually controlled from inside your house.

Of course this only applies to a few things such as archived documents and such but removing all the information from online access does protect you from anyone else accessing it.
>>
>>55724979
I get an error while trying to delete the USBSTOR key, even though i opened regedit with full permissions through PSTools. Can anyone help me?
>>
>>55730068
Nevermind, I've found how to solve it.
>>
>>55724979
Tails and Kali on USBs
>>
>>55730032
how do you feel about password managers?
>>
>>55730282
some people are paranoid about them because you literally have all your passwords in just one place, i use them, but if you feel really paranoid, you just remember them from memory, check this

https://theintercept.com/2015/03/26/passphrases-can-memorize-attackers-cant-guess/

>>55727511
thanks, is there anything else i could check or read?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.