[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

best latex software? best latex guide? how to into latex?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: comfylatex.gif (15KB, 640x290px) Image search: [Google]
comfylatex.gif
15KB, 640x290px
best latex software?
best latex guide?

how to into latex?
>>
Wikibooks and packages docs.
>>
File: 1461897388405.jpg (15KB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
1461897388405.jpg
15KB, 426x240px
>>55716442
>How to into latex?
Just fuck around with this. It's pretty intutive.

https://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

Braces group shit. Underscores subscript shit. Carets superscript shit. Everything is recursive. When you need a new symbol, look it up.

>Best latex software?
You compile LaTeX shit with a command line program. Anything else is just a graphical interface on top of this, usually with an input text editor, a compile button, and a output text area. texstudio is one. There are plenty others.

>Best latex guide?
In addition to typesettings formulas, you will want to get an idea of how latex is used to typeset documents. There is a general framework you can pick up in 30 minutes. However there are specific details depending on if your document is an article, report, thesis, book, etc. Moreover, certain organizations have custom LaTeX document types, like IEEE journal articles. If you are writing for someone, look up to see if they have a document type they want you to use.

Overall it takes an afternoon to learn LaTeX. Learn it. It makes your shit look good.
>>
Do you need LaTeX? Unless you're writing papers or use a lot of math in your documents, Markdown should be sufficient.
>>
>>55716829
Writing programming related documentation and research papers, some math formulas might be involved
>>
>>55716800
Thanks for the information and that cute/weirdass looking monkey thing
>>
>>55716800
While Latex is great, it's far from intuitive.
>>
>>55716951
a-anon, that's a dead deformed cyclops kitten. they don't survive past a few days at most.
>>
>>55716442
>best latex software?
Your favorite editor + command line
>best latex guide?
man pages and reading/stealing from others
>how to into latex?
Just like coding. Start small and learn from what you find best (books/online guides/other's code)
>>
>>55716966
Sure it is.
If something is hard to do with latex, it clearly isn't something you should do.
>>
>>55717334
Easy and intuitive aren't the same thing
>>
>>55716442
Emacs
>>
>>55717431
But latex is both.
You can read a document someone else wrote and see what the different parts does.
And for the majority, you don't need prior information to do so.

You can write decent looking documents without any knowledge other than how to compile it.
>>
>>55717682
That you need to copy from others since otherwise you wouldn't even know what things you could do pretty much means that it is not intuitive.
>>
>>55716442
>best latex software?
texlive
>best latex guide?
google
>how to into latex?
vim
>>
File: 1454786477054.jpg (34KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1454786477054.jpg
34KB, 500x375px
>tfw I'm fighting with latex because it displays [?] in my \cite{} and won't put the bibliography at the end of my document and I see this thread.
>>
>>55718136
Did you run bibtex?
>>
>>55719119
I am using texmaker because that's the default software in my lab and I guess it runs bibtex (or at least I asked it to do so)
>>
>>55716442
>TexStudio. I have yet to find something I wanted it to do that it couldn't.

>fucking hell... www.startpage.com

>Find something to write a report on. Preferably with lots of equations and figures and shit. Start typing. Eat cake.
>>
google this:

lshort filetype:pdf

Use a text editor an a command line compiler.
>>
>>55719193
I think you usually have to compile twice, independent of the IDE.
>>
>>55716442
>best latex software?
I use Gummi.
>best latex guide?
Google.
>how to into latex?
Use the five lines of markup you actually need until you need another feature, then see above.
>>
>>55719288
Damn, I should have fucked something up. It used to work few months ago but now it's making me crazy.
I'll try on another machine, my laptop may be cursed or something.
>>
emacs with LaTeX mode or AucTeX.
>>
>>55719193
Try compiling again. It usually has to do it twice to get everything in order on the first pass.
>>
>>55719313
Gummi is the best LaTeX editor indeed.
>>
>>55719193
Check if you have latexmk as option for compilation, if not, I highly recommend it. It runs pdflatex + biblatex and all that stuff multiple times for you.
>>
>>55719809
I tried without success

>>55719865
I can choose latexmk but I still receive warnings claiming that my citations are not defined.
>>
Kile is really good for new users.
Saved me a lot of google in the beginning.
>>
Use a real typesetting software package, like groff, you scrub.
>>
>>55716442
Just start using it for everything and google the things you don't know. In my experience that is the best way to learn.

At this point in time is better to start right away with luatex as that is the immediate future and makes things a lot easier (UTF-8 input, OTF fonts, etc...). Also, make sure that you use a editor with good support for tex. Emacs + Auctex for example.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.