[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: wire.png (107KB, 687x729px) Image search: [Google]
wire.png
107KB, 687x729px
>text, voice, video
>encrypted
>cross-platform
>no phone number required
>open source

https://wire.com/

What's the catch, /g/?
>>
>>55714334
Encrypted with what?
Is it end to end?
Do they store log files?
What's their privacy policy and terms of service like?

There could be lots of catches. All you gave us was buzzwords.
>>
>>55714334
thats how skype started
>>
>>55714411
skype was never encrypted or open source
>>
>>55714355
https://wire.com/privacy/
>>
>>55714334
>>open source

Only the clients, though, not the server.
>>
>>55714334
Red the security white paper and immediately switched from Signal.
>>
>>55714903
Well, they're Swiss. It's their job. I wonder what bank sponsored that.
>>
>>55714991
Damn, that's even better, the Swiss keep that shit secure. Anyone got any videos on their encryption?
>>
>>55714334
>cannot selfhost
intothetrash.png
>>
>asks for phone number
>>
>>55717338
>>
>>55714507
If it is e2e it should be enough.
>>
>>55717381
>web app
>app
>>
>>55714494
Looks pretty good, certainly better than other messaging apps. I have some questions though.

>No profiling
>Wire does not sell your usage data to advertising companies.
"not selling it" is different from "not collecting it", the former doesn't imply the latter. I'd like to hear that they have some policy of not collecting usage/metadata in the first place except as required to make the service work, and then deleting that as soon as its no longer needed.

>Wire uses open-source cryptography to encrypt all content. We made the source code for data handling available to the public under the GPL License. This means that anybody can review the source code.
I'm curious as to whether this means "our whole app is GPL" or "only the crypto is GPL, and the rest is under some other license"
>>
just read about this shit on hn

... anyone looked at the source?
.. guess i will have to take a look
>>
>>55721183

ok looked at it for a few minutes.
https://github.com/wireapp

android -> i cant find the crypto, to many folders, nothing turns app when searching aes

ios -> i have no experience in

webclient -> i found this:
https://github.com/wireapp/wire-webapp/blob/a9d8149408e57c11adbd884c2f8346f5d87948c5/app/script/assets/AssetCrypto.coffee

omg

is this an aes implementation in coffeescript? WHAT? who in their right mind would do this.

i am not inclined to continue, stay away for now until someone audits this. the code gives me the creeps though, many folders, many components a lot of things going on that are not focused around the security and its does not feel very readable/auditable, although i don't do web/android apps for a living so take that with a grain of salt. last app i checked was signal and it spoke much more to me
>>
>>55721397
ok iam a dumbass thats a wrapper arround the browser crypto. still inclined to wait for the audit
>>
>>55717338
>>55717381
>>55718811

So Wire is more consumer shit that isn't really a good alternative.
>>
>>55714334
>get Wire for m-muh privacy
>use it on Android with Google Services enabled

GG.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.