[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think about the CHIP $9 computer? To good to be true?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (96KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
96KB, 1280x720px
What do you guys think about the CHIP $9 computer? To good to be true?
>>
>>55711447
I fell for the $15 computer, and its literally worthless. Dont do the same.
>>
>>55711447
Why exactly do you need an ultra low performance computer?
>>
>>55711461
That bad? I've been considering getting a couple to stash in other people's houses for a fun shh/backup server
>>
everything is a computer these days. that doesn't mean they're capable of doing anything more complex than timing the roasting of a chicken

i figured these cheap monoboard computers would be garbage and most impulse buyers seem to agree. for the money you'd spend on all the bits and bobs for these little things, go buy a junk dual core laptop and play with it instead
>>
>>55711482
I am talking about the pine64, but yes. It's pretty bad. Soured me on any of these "cheap" computers.
>>
File: IMG_5261.jpg (2MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5261.jpg
2MB, 5184x3456px
Their actually pretty useful. Can use it as a remote DSLR controller for timelapse and that kind of stuff.
>>
>>55711571
Do you use it to time lapse how many cocks you can juggle in your mouth at the same time you shitmucher?
>>
>>55711594
Stop with the rudeposting.
>>
The Raspberry Pi is pretty alright, but $35 for that is a little high still. I feel like the chip could be more worth it, but I kind of doubt the idea that they "have better specs than the RPi" when the cost is so much lower.
>>
>>55711602
Just stating the real truth you disgusting shit on stick muncher.
>>
>>55711447
Good if you're playing with i/o.
Not so good if you're making a server.
Bad idea if you're making entertainment device.
>>
To be fair, if you don't buy atmel chips in large quantities, these are generally more cost effective given the I/O availability.
>>
Literally the only use I've found for the SBCs is as a local server for web dev. Shit's honestly not even good for embedded development, a real dev board or even a fucking gameboy emulator is way better for that.
>>
File: 1467963710631.jpg (135KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1467963710631.jpg
135KB, 1536x2048px
>>55711652
>using "muncher" in 2 posts
>>
>>55711696
>a real dev board
Well, a real dev board with 512MB and 1GHz CPU sure gonna be expensive.
>>
>>55711641
They're comparing it to the original Raspberry Pi with its ARMv6 CPU. I think CHIP uses a Cortex A8 which is ARMv7. It's similar in speed to the original Raspberry Pi, but ARM added a SIMD unit to ARMv7 so CHIP has a few extra tricks it can do. You will not get desktop use out of CHIP. It is extremely bare bones and aimed at the maker market.
>>
I bought one to plug an external HDD and make my own cloud storage.

I don't know shit about how to do that but learning how to set up everything will be fun, did i fuck up?
>>
>>55711447

just get a rasppi, hobo
>>
>>55711447
>$x computer

this got old pretty quick, I don't care how much it coast as long as its not $1600 for a self fuck machine controller
>>
If you can't install Gentoo on it it's not worth buying.
>>
with shipping it costs more than the Orange Pi One (also with shipping)
>>
>>55711447
I have multiple Raspberry Pi Zeroes, recommend them
>>
>>55711447
AMDrones will still complain it's too much.
>>
>>55713105
shoo shoo
>>
tfw i can get pentium3 systems for $8

not worth it
>>
>>55711447
i have one. it's shit
>>
>>55711752
This. These Atom boards usually end up costing more than "home server" or "media center" build on socket 1150. From used components of course, but the performance is also something else.
>>
>>55713662
>large
>guzzle lots of power
>lacks gpios
>used a lot so more likely to fail
>>
>>55712621
That's almost real person money though. College students are notorious for being cheap as shit.
>>
>>55711478
crypto mining controller
torrent hub
>>
Using one for Kisok at work and another as a pocketchip. Fun for shitposting and IRC
>>
>>55716369
Tell me about the pocketchip. Is it actually small enough to fit in your pocket? What makes it different than a tablet?
>>
>>55716693
Its not bad. It is about the size of a kindle but thicker. The keyboard is not that great. It is fun to fuck with but not that practical.
>>
>>55711447
>>55716693
How much do they pay you to hawk cheap chinese shit on a korean cartoon forum?
>>
>512MB RAM
>1GHz processor
Seems like it could be cool as an emulation machine
>>
>>55717054
$0 for curiosity.All I want is a cheap computer to dump in other peoples houses
>>
>>55711461
>>55711512
These people bought expecting a "keyboard and mouse" kind of computer, were disappointed that it didn't do that well, and because they didn't have any projects like that, are declaring it useless.

If you're like them and don't have the creativity or need to come up with a single purpose for an embedded system, don't buy it. Otherwise, learn a lot, have fun, and come away with something cool. One reason these are good is that they are easy to get online. Take advantage of that and make an IoT device, like a thing that sends you an email when your plants need watered.
>>
>>55717196
Just curious, are you from PA or the PA area?
>>
>>55717294
Seattle, sorry. I guess I was born in Boston but that's not that close either. Why?
>>
>>55717373
Dang. Just moved to PA and found a lot of people drop the words "to be" from sentences like "plants need (to be) watered"
>>
My friend ran Tox on it. Seems pretty cool for hobbyists and tinkerers. You could use them to set up nodes for distributed networks, low-traffic services etc.
>>
>>55711571
>their

opinion discarded
>>
Could those be set up to play retro DOS games/programs without emulation?
>>
>>55711707
hahaha i really like that image mind if i save it?
>>
>>55711447
I don't like how the vga and hdmi board attachments block the pins unrelated to display output. Otherwise I think the board is neat. I need to look into how well documented the soc on the board is and how complicated flashing software onto the thing. Particularly if you don't want to use u-boot and linux.
>>
>shipping was delayed
fug
>>
>>55712669
This
>>
>>55717463
It's called Midland American English.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.