[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Selecting a 'Family' of Programming Languages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: Parachute-Ending.png (1MB, 1500x847px) Image search: [Google]
Parachute-Ending.png
1MB, 1500x847px
Hey /g/,
So as someone who just recently got into programming I've been doing a lot of research into what languages are best to know or best to learn form. The resources I've found that come off as the most authentic (as if I know) suggest learning a variety of different languages that cover distinct types of programming that help maximize one's flexibility.

In Reymond's popular "How to Become a Hacker" page he writes:

"...I think it is probably best to learn C and Lisp first, then Java.

[It would be best to learn] Python, C/C++, Java, Perl, and LISP. Besides being the most important hacking languages, they represent very different approaches to programming, and each will educate you in valuable ways."

http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#skills1

And in the suggested "Teach Yourself Programming in 10 Years" reading seasoned Google hacker Peter Norvig suggests:

"Learn at least a half dozen programming languages. Include one language that emphasizes class abstractions (like Java or C++), one that emphasizes functional abstraction (like Lisp or ML or Haskell), one that supports syntactic abstraction (like Lisp), one that supports declarative specifications (like Prolog or C++ templates), and one that emphasizes parallelism (like Clojure or Go)."
http://norvig.com/21-days.html

What are /g/'s thoughts on all of this? Any sharp disagreements or agreements with what either person said? Personally I've never heard of Clojure, Go, or ML before in my life. How do web design languages like HTML or PHP fit into all of this?
>>
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THE MUSIC VIDEO THAT IMAGE IS FROM FOR MONTHS THANK YOU SO MUCH OP I HAVE MADE MULTIPLE THREADS ON /r/ AND YOU'RE THE FIRST TO (unintentionally) HELP
I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH OP
>>
>>55707877
Any time, senpai.
>>
>>55707483
Clojure is a dialect of Lisp, and a damn good one.

It's basically all correct. You should learn a bunch of different languages and frameworks and explore wherever your interests take you.
>>
>>55707877
>acting like a newfag all the time
>wonders why nobody will help him
>>
File: ep062.jpg (140KB, 903x324px) Image search: [Google]
ep062.jpg
140KB, 903x324px
>listening to esr ever
>>
It's trash advice.
There are FAR more interesting things than learning programming languages. Writing simulation code for computational genetics, writing firmware for fighter jets, making innovative VR apps, founding a company, etc. Rather than waste your time writing arcane Fibonnaci functions in Idris like 6 gorillion people before you have already done, why not actually fucking make something of value?
Learn a popular low level language, learn a popular high level language, and get on with your life.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.