[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there no libre hardware?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 1461542138231.jpg (2MB, 3010x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1461542138231.jpg
2MB, 3010x2000px
Why is there no libre hardware?
>>
Because Wozniak was lead away from the path of light
>>
There is though
>>
Because they're real and people who make real things know about the real world and know your meme libre dream is stupid.
>>
RISC-V will happen soon(tm)
>>
File: 225599650_01abe8638c_z.jpg (57KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
225599650_01abe8638c_z.jpg
57KB, 500x375px
>ganoo plus phone
>>
>>55706965
Like a modern laptop?
>>
File: iPM6LDb.png (139KB, 255x400px) Image search: [Google]
iPM6LDb.png
139KB, 255x400px
>ultra high-end sennheisers
>ultra high-end amp
>converted from youtube

WHY AND HOW COULD ANYONE EVEN
>>
>>55706995
No laptops that I'm aware of, but there's a workstation and an SBC for sure
>>
>>55707009
>thatsthejoke.flac
>>
>>55707020
>>55706995
I forgot about the Lemote Yeeloong, but good luck finding one. I've been looking for years.
>>
>>55706846
why the fuck does he have such huge cables for his shit
>>
>>55706846
Because big companies will copy them and release better (but closed) versions of it.
>>
From a security point of view it still wouldn't be much better since there is no efficient way of verifying completely if there are no tricky CPU backdoors in the implementation.
How would you verify if your CPU is produced exactly as the schematic they deliver?
Also from business point of view, you don't want your designs to be used by competition.
I used to be a die hard libre enthusiast, now I just consider free software as cool software.
Proprietary hardware and software will exist as long as there will be people that want to licence it this way and this will always be the case.
You can't force everybody to respect user freedom OP, even though you may feel it is the ethical way.
I'm typing this post on Windows 8.1 because I played a computer game, but my main OS for everything else is GNU/Linux.
It's bad to impose unnecessary self-restrictions.
Use whatever you like, you're free.
>>
>>55708815
>business point of view, you don't want your designs to be used by competition.
This also applies in the software field and explains why is there so much proprietary software. Is Stallman aware of this fact? Or he still thinks competition does not exist?
>>
>>55707638
it's an audiophile thing. the belief is that the cable needs to be very thick to prevent the audio from losing quality. it can get quite out of hand sometimes like pic related
>>
arduino and cubieboard releases their schematic if that's what you're asking
>>
>>55707638
Thicker cables = less resistance, or needlessly thick shielding
>>
>>55706846
I guess E-cigs are Libre hardware, only used by fags like you OP.
>>
>>55709152
Is he subvert high current ? That's retarded
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.