[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was UNIX actually good or is that just a linux/BSD meme? Pic related.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: UNIX CDE.jpg (133KB, 1104x837px) Image search: [Google]
UNIX CDE.jpg
133KB, 1104x837px
Was UNIX actually good or is that just a linux/BSD meme? Pic related.
>>
>>55692443
Unix was good. Solaris, Irix, HPUX, these were / are decent. Not so much for just their software, but also because of the hardware they ran on.
>>
File: dennis.png (242KB, 1288x1413px) Image search: [Google]
dennis.png
242KB, 1288x1413px
>>55692443
Unix was good. It had its faults but most of those were the stuff that was tacked on later, like sockets and Xorg.
>>
>>55692529
>>55692992

What exactly was good about it? The simplicity? The file organization?
>>
>>55693020
>The simplicity?
mostly this. There were simple, logical pieces and the whole system was built on them. It was compact enough that an ordinary programmer or sysadmin could keep it all in his head, and be able to troubleshoot problems in a straightforward way.
>>
>>55693020
dont forget that it brought multitasking/timesharing to a world that didnt have it

no idea why so many people consider that UNIX is fucking up computer science, since it allowed computer scientists to work faster
>>
>>55692443
DEC Tru64 Unix > Solaris > the rest
>>
>>55692443
Pretty much all big-name operating systems were good by about 1995, but yes, every SysV was good for different things and different reasons.

From personal experience:
Solaris has very nice service management facilities.
IRIX was (in many ways still is) absolutely the best Unix on the desktop, user-friendly, way ahead of its time for many years, and with excellent commercial and free software bases. It's a shame SGI never ported it to Itanium at least.

From heresay:
AIX is supposedly a great virtualization platform, rock solid, great for mission-critical jobs

Don't really have any real experience or enough understanding of the remaining SysVs to talk a good enough game, I'd really like to play with HP-sUX some day.

>>55693251
>dont forget that it brought multitasking/timesharing to a world that didnt have it
Big 32/36-bits running operating systems like Multics and TOPS-10 were already doing that for at least five years by the time Unix hit the stage. Unix gained its popularity because it was a cheap option, not because it was the technically superior (in every way) option.

>>55693418
What stood out about Tru64? DEC shit is so hard to come across, I've never been able to try it out.
>>
>>55693839
yeah i should have said that it was also cheap

it still brought it to the "masses"
>>
>>55693251
>dont forget that it brought multitasking/timesharing to a world of amateurs that didnt know it was in general use in industry.
Fixed.
>>
>>55693887
Yeah, universities especially loved that shit, since they had to distribute the source code to anyone who asked.

Still, I wouldn't even give it credit for that in its entirety, Unix was a mainstay in education and expensive workstations, but I think more people interacted with IBM and DEC time sharing platforms in one way or another far more than Unix back then.

>>55693978
That's AmigaOS and Windows 3.x
>>
all the old people (just kidding, 25 pretending to be 55) in one nice shitty thread. did you try to tell your professor that you're a "computer historian" while trying to get out of your F grade?
>>
>>55694043
mad lispfag detected
>>
>>55694043
Get a load of this angry strawmanning hipster who can't even use Google in 2016.
>>
>>55694043
>t. justin
go back to jacking off to shitty 90s kid games on >>>/vr/ you whiny manchild
>>
>>55694019
>That's AmigaOS and Windows 3.x
Think mainframes.
Most mainframe OSs had multitasking and timesharing back in the '60s, long before UNIX was even thought of. Before PCs, even.
>>
>>55694877
I know that, I was responding to the baitpost that Unix brought multitasking to plebs, which it certainly did not.
>>
Trusted Solaris and OpenSolaris were great. SPARC is great.
>>
>>55695220
Wish OpenIndiana was worth a shit, I've been dailying it lately and god damn I want to go back to Solaris 10 so bad, if only someone had the foresight to back up the OpenSolaris website that had all of the drivers I need to get it going.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.