[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm switching from Arch to Debian, what do I need to know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: debian.png (6KB, 202x249px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
6KB, 202x249px
For the last year I have been using Arch gnu/linux as my daily driver, but recently, I've grown sick of there always being something broken, like nothing I do 'just werks' and I always have to open up the wiki, or use google, to do practically anything new. Personally I do not have anything against fixing stuff up, and working to get stuff to work, but the simple fact is that I need to get work done. So I have decided that I am going to switch to debian, what important stuff do I need to know to get going, I have some experience with debian, and I know the basics of aptitude, but is there some more unique things I should know about, thanks in advance!
>>
Building from source. Installing newer kernels. Shaving your neckbeard
>>
>>55692291
I have experience with both of those, but if I shave my neckbeard, I might get cold during winter, so I'll just let it keep growing. Thanks for the response!
>>
>>55692265
yeah, there's 3 versions of debian. there's stable, testing and unstable. stable is well...stable, but there are some old packages in there. if you want maximum stability and don't mind working with older versions of software then yeah stable all the way.

unstable might be the closest thing to arch. i think packages just come in when they please. i never actually used unstable, but be prepared for broken packages.

testing is the medium of the two and is what i run. look into the release/freeze schedule. there 's a period when all packages are frozen to prepare for the next release.
>>
Getting beat up by police. Dying soon after
>>
>>55692265
use synaptic, aptitude is terrible
>>
>>55692321
I think I'm gonna use stable, thanks for the information.
>>
>>55692325
Tons of experience with that, I'm on like my 15th death today.
>>
>>55692339
I don't really want a gtk package manager, thanks though.
>>
>>55692265
Use Debian Testing or Sid. Stable is table, but the old packages and kernel might turn you off.
>>
>>55692265
>using an OS designed by a murderer
>>
>>55692388
Use apt instead of aptitude, it's the recommended tool atm, unless you need something that aptitude has.
>>
>something being something broken
PEBCAK error. Shit just works fine here.
>>
>>55692265
Use apt. aptitude is a little slugish, but still good.
Debian says Sid can really break, but it hasn't happened to me in three years. That being said, it's on a laptop that I don't use as often, so any catastrophic shit might have been resolved in between. Testing is pretty comfy on the desktop.
You need to install sudo.
You need to edit apt sources maybe once or twice.
checkinstall is a godsend for keeping track of built packages.
Debian wiki is decent, but Arch wiki is still God.
>>
>>55692388
apper master race.
>>
>>55692265
>the simple fact is that I need to get work done
install windows, the issue you experienced are inherent to ganno/lincucks trash and not the distro. linux works fine (base system, DE) but the issue is with the applications and how it all works together
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.