[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I realised recently that various crashes have been caused by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: SG09.jpg (254KB, 1113x902px) Image search: [Google]
SG09.jpg
254KB, 1113x902px
I realised recently that various crashes have been caused by my GPU overheating and after some reconsideration that the aftermarket MSI cooler for my GTX770 which blows down onto the hea tsink paired with this case is the reason why. The hot air doesn't seem to be effectively vented currently.

So my question is as follows: is filling the two ridiculous (by default empty) 80/92mm fan slots beside the card going to actually achieve anything?

I'd rather not spend much making a 3yo mid-range card actually perform its function.
>>
>>55690577
post pic of inside of case.
>>
>>55690577
Do you have case fans at all?

Ideally you'd want 2 pushing air in and one pushing air out.

Why 2 in and 1 out? Because your psu is also pushing air out so adding more fans increases noise but not cooling performance.
>>
File: Not what was ordered.jpg (313KB, 1004x1612px) Image search: [Google]
Not what was ordered.jpg
313KB, 1004x1612px
>>55690659
Both my human and cat just fell asleep. Can't wake them up. Will post most recent picture of kitty being stupid in a box instead. GPU occupies the top slots. NH-D14 for the CPU pretty much feeding directly to the rear case fan. Cable management is barely achieved with the meager space to the side.

>>55690670
I didn't add any to the stock fans, which are the one at the back and top. I now realise that the side fan depicted was not even included. Way too early to be senile.
The front and side vents are used by the PSU, it's not part of the loop per se. In the front, out the side.
_

As far as I remember, the fans push air down through the heatsink, so the only viable solution I see is to add exhausts to the side.

The problem I anticipate is having an exhaust at the top, back, and side.

(Yes I realise this probably could have all been avoided by getting a reference blower card and using side intakes)

Wat do?
>>
>>55690814
Move the fan at the top to the front of the case if possible.
>>
PSU in the way.

The options I see currently for intake are:
-Switch top fan to intake (diverted by back exhaust/CPU cooler?)
-Front bottom (hue) side fan slots (interference with possible further back side exhausts?)
-Butcher front to add yet another couple of small fans (minimal impact?)
>>
>>55690944
Meant for >>55690897
>>
File: hotgputinycase.png (880KB, 1113x902px) Image search: [Google]
hotgputinycase.png
880KB, 1113x902px
>>55690577
Is this what you`re currently dealing with?
>>
>>55692618
Essentially, but I have tamed the spaghetti situation. It does not impede airflow. SST should have kept those cables bound like those on the left for presentation pruposes.
>>
>>55690670
The PSU draws air in from the front and exhausts it out the side in that case, so its airflow is entirely separate from the rest of the case. In general, two fans in, one fan out is a good setup though, since it creates positive pressure inside the case, which is better for dust control.
>>
>>55692815
I would suggest to first clean and change the thermal grease on your cpu, then populate all three of those fan bays. If possible, maybe even that 80mm under the PSU. That`ll bring in plenty of cool air to not only directly feed your GPU, but also give added airflow to your cpu. Also just noticed your expansion slots are not vented.

What`s basically happening is your GPU fans are trying to draw air from outside your case to cool the heatsink. This is made worse by the fact that there is nowhere for the air to go, and the heat is trapped beneath the GPU.

Plenty of cool air coming in with proper ventilation and positive pressure will drive the heat out of the case, keeping everything cool.

>decent low noise 80mm fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103025

>92mm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103082

>Cheap well vented expansion slot covers
http://www.moddiy.com/products/High-Quality-Vented-Black-Expansion-Slot-Cover.html

With 3 80mm, 1 92mm, and 2 vented slot covers, comes out to just over 24USD. Fans are all around 30cfm and less than 21db. So they wouldn`t even really make any significant noise.
>>
>>55693072
>clean and change the thermal grease on your cpu
gpu* I meant gpu.
>>
>>55692618
Bad cable management doesn't really meaner much higher temps. Maybe by a degree or two.
>>
File: SG09 flow.png (938KB, 1113x919px) Image search: [Google]
SG09 flow.png
938KB, 1113x919px
>>55692618
This basically

>>55693072
I believe the GPU fans are actually drawing air from above those side grills.

My CPU may have a little too much thermal grease. Haven't messed with GPU thermal grease in years, but is it going to degrade to that point so soon?

Moving my GPU down to the lower PCIe slot may make this easier to deal with. Currently I think it's just drawing head from the CPU and pushing it down with its own heat to a place without any real airflow, I guess it just builds up.

If you consider this rough diagram, how am I to improve the airflow given the GPU heatsink's fan direction?

>>55693150
Cables are mostly behind the motherboard mounting panel and not really influential here.
>>
>>55693072
Oh and thanks for the fan suggestions. I'll have to track some down for the UK but the price looks reasonable.
>>
>>55693150
I was asking to know if it was even a viable option to install fans in those bays. If there was just a big wad of cables there, there wouldn`t be much point in having fans blowing on them.

>>55693194
The GPU pulls air directly in, and then pushes it through the heatsink, pushing the heat out in all directions. It is drawing air in from the grills, but no where near as effectively as having actual intake fans. Also keep in mind there isn`t really anywhere for the heat to go, and very little air moving in. As far as thermal grease, having too much won`t affect temperature as much as having too little. When you go to replace the grease on your gpu, you`ll be greeted with a giant glob of the shit. After 2-3 years, yeah it would be a good idea to change it out.

Your actual gpu location is fine, just bare minimum get a couple fans to bring air in, and order those vented slot covers. That`ll bring cool air in, and give the heat somewhere to go. Even without positive pressure, thermal transfer will draw the heat out.

You could also consider getting an expansion slot blower to exhaust out the bottom PCI slot, but I don`t think that`s necessary.

>>55693221
It seems moddiy.com ships internationally based on their currency conversion option. No idea where they`re based from or what it would cost to ship. They`re quite a bit more expensive as well. But these are actual static pressure fans.

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Sanyo-Denki-San-Cooler-80-8025-12V-0.09A-Dual-Ball-Bearing-Cooling-Fan.html
>>
File: 51FnfmvDiuL.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51FnfmvDiuL.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>55693530
After four hours it occurred I was imagining the GPU the wrong way up because for fuck knows what reason I've been thinking of BTX instead of mATX *checks time* seems I am lacking sleep and crashing from the a large dose of caffeine after none in weeks. Air flow mystery solved. I do apologise for the misunderstanding. /blog

Let's ignore my garbage diagram from before because it's basically nonsense.

Yes the GPU is probably in an acceptable location. Just a simple mixup, the fans are blowing upwards, not downwards and there isn't a static space beneath it, and it's not drawing from the CPU heatsink, and it is using the grills.
_

Okay back to sense.

So both sides should have intakes.

Do you mean a slot blower like pic related?

The prices seem reasonable and that fan line seems to be exactly what I need. Double the pressure of most of the fans I saw elsewhere. Should be enough to let physics do the rest. Will fish out the rest myself.

You guys have been unusually patient for how incoherent my posts have been. Thanks a lot.

MSI have the card's width at 13cm (I guess this includes the slot plate and pin section) the case's width minus the back slot is probably 18cm.

I'll open it up tomorrow to be sure but there should be room for the fans.
>>
File: 411zNj1soHL._SY300_.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
411zNj1soHL._SY300_.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
>>55693726
No no, something like this. It`s a blower fan that exhausts right out the expansion slot.

>You guys have been unusually patient for how incoherent my posts have been. Thanks a lot.

Meh, I`m just sitting here fucking around and listening to an asmr video of two korean girls blowing in my ears.
>>
>>55693785
If I'm not mistaken wouldn't that pull in the opposite direction of the GPU's fans?
>>
>>55693804
It would, which is why I didn`t actually suggest it as a primary option. Plus a couple fans and vents will cost the same and be more effective. It would help though just because it would force the heat out from under the gpu.
>>
>>55693821
A thread claimed that the top fan is intake. The airflow was so mild and what with heat rising and not wanting dust in the case I figured it was an exhaust, but no, it really is intake after testing with paper.

How does this plan look?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.