[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Antergos is great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 17

File: antergos.png (286KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
antergos.png
286KB, 1024x576px
>tfw an Arch-based distro has been your most stable and reliable desktop operating system
>tfw it's also one of the most up-to-date
>tfw installation has more features to make the setup of your computer easy than any other distro (it installs proprietary drivers, wine, playonlinux, libreoffice etc. if you want to)
>don't even get me started on the AUR and yaourt
>tfw people still call Arch a meme

>inb4 "Antergos is a meme, use arch instead like me do for the ebic internet points"
It's literally Arch with an added repository, it's also far easier to install, which is in fact a good thing since "I can install pure arch linux" isn't a real talent

Why don't you use the best distro out there?
>>
Manjaro openrc is better.
>>
No, it's not "literally Arch with an added repository".
>>
>>55689785
Elaborate.
>>
>>55689783
I am on manjaro but i havent got any updates since start of june i think. Is this normal?
>>
>>55689749
Someone took arch and made it exactly what arch isn't meant to be: loaded with bloatware and a shitty desktop environment that no one asked for.
>OP thinks Arch is hard to install
That's the real meme.
>>
the arch installation ritual is pointless and tedious.

Their rant against learned complacency is stupid.

if you want to learn about this shit then take a course and spin up some lab vm's like a normal person.

arch is babby's first linux. All you arch monkeys are as annoying as the vegans and crossfitters.
>>
>>55689785
and an installer, which fixes 90% of the hassle of installing Arch normally
>>
>>55689994
>if you want to learn ... take a course
idiot
>>
>>55689807
It's not.

>>55689878
Bloatware became the real meme.
>loaded with a shitty desktop environment
It has tons to choose from and even if you're not satisfied with those, you can do a base install and install what you want on top of that. Nice way of showing everyone that you didn't even bother to try it and instead just say what everyone on /g/ led you to believe.
>no one asked for
I'd have asked for that if it didn't exist already. It's gorgeous.
>Arch is hard to install
It's harder than it needs to be, especially for the normal user. What's wrong with having a few buttons instead of remembering some commands? I never said it's hard to install, but that Antergos is easier, which it demonstrably is. You don't gain anything by having to do a more complicated install, especially if you've gone the pure Arch way in the past and can't even gain any "learning experience" or deep knowledge of the system anymore, since you already have that.

>bloatware
What's with /g/'s addiction with only running software you need 100%? You don't run your installation on a potato and Linux distributions simply can't account for your special usecases, so they provide the software that most people are expected to use for convenience. If this is not barebones enough for you, because you don't have anything to do besides uninstalling small pieces of software that trigger your autism, you can do exactly that. Most people on /g/ that got caught by the minimalism meme completely perverted the word "bloatware" to the point where it's not even reasonable to use anymore. Fuck you.
>>
>>55690117
>It's not.
are you on manjaro?
>>
>>55689994
Veganism is great, though. You should try it, maybe a better diet will help you lose your basement belly.
>>
>>55690134
I'm on Antergos, but I used Manjaro in the past. They slightly delay updates, but once Ubuntu gets updates more frequently than your Arch-based distro, you should be worried.
>>
>>55690117
>Whats wrong with having a few buttons
Because I don't want to sit there watching you aim your stupid mouse at the button, overshoot it, readjust, and finally click on it just so I can help you clear out all "extra ram" you downloaded.
>>
>>55690117
Your desktop environment is bad and you should feel bad.
BLOATWARE
>>
>>55689749
>don't get me started on yaourt (yet another user repository tool)
>It's basically arch with [yet another] repository.
Not sure you should be allowed on this board
>>
>>55690168
why are you watching that anon in the first place?
you some kind of weirdo pervert or something?
>>
>>55690218
because he couldn't install arch and doesn't know how to use a terminal
>>
>>55690230
i still don't see how that correlates with you watching him unless you're in the same room or remotely monitoring that specific anon for some other reason
>>
>>55690252
he regularly requires assistance from someone who isn't a GUI-only idiot
>>
>>55690264
but is that one guy the person who is assisting him?
>>
>>55689994
>>55690117
I don't disagree but the thing with arch is you spend 1 hour as a one time thing and it just werks untill you get bored of it or untill you break it. Is your time really that valuable? I work full tima as opposed to neets and college students this board seems to be full of and I could afford time to do that.
Yes Arch should have gui installer for partitioning and base install but there is plenty of third party installers for Arch, like Architect. And there actually is point in installing everything from zero, it's actually much easier to do just that than weeding out unwanted packages on OOB ready distro.
>>
>>55690210
Antergos is great. I like it more than having a pure Arch install. Sue me.
>>
>>55690274
yes.
any more terrible questions?
>>
>>55690288
what is the specific relation to that anon for them to be spending so much time together? is it strictly platonic?
>>
>>55690282
thank you for articulating this.
but cfdisk is practically a GUI and I don't understand why you'd want to add shiny buttons when it's easier to type a number and hit enter.
/thread
>>
>>55690303
Most Linux nerds are excited to help people fix their broken systems, even if they're idiots.
>>
>>55690282
You can totally use pure Arch or Architect or any other installer that fulfills your needs. My point is that most people will be totally fine with using the "bloated" version of Arch since they actually don't (need to) care about what most people on this board define as bloat. Antergos won't install any harmful packages, the worst thing it could potentially do is install packages you don't need, that take up space, but that's not a real issue nowadays. I think Arch is a great desktop distribution for the normal user and Antergos is great for getting started, but if you want to stay vanilla, that's totally fine.
>>
>>55690333
nice trips
>>
>>55689749
Install Arch yourself>Arch Anywhere>Architect>Antergos>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Man-gina (regardless of init-system).
>>
>>55690347
Don't you have to get up for school tomorrow? :^)
>>
>>55690355
who has school in the summer, m80, aside from those wretched adults? :^)
>>
>>55690366
Got me there.
>>
>>55690355
I'm flattered. But, I bet you say that to all the boys. :^)
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (35KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
35KB, 333x500px
ANTERGOS
>>
File: debian-sid.jpg.cf.jpg (11KB, 218x218px) Image search: [Google]
debian-sid.jpg.cf.jpg
11KB, 218x218px
>>55690282
Agree with you anon.

I use Debian testing/sid for these reasons. I do the minimal install and breeze through the installer. Do the dist upgrade and install apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges (I believe the programs are called these names. If not, google them). Seeing these, I don't install updates as soon as they come out, I wait a little bit. If updating will install something with a bug or something, apt will actually tell you and ask again if you want to continue. I have avoided a lot of breakage because of this and have gotten everything pretty stable, even on Sid.

I went and installed Debian sid on my work computer in my lab when I was in Uni two years ago and the thing ran flawlessly. Virtual box worked great for my digilent oscope and whatnot, I even got league of legends running smoothly on it.

All you have to do is just not update buggy software and geegee. Unless pacman/yaourt has this functionality, you're installing a timesink OS. I dont have time and neither does the anon I am replying to.

Just my 2 cents. American of course.
>>
>>55689749
As someone who is too retarded to understand how the sda1, swamp, all that partition works in linux, antegros is a life saver.
>>
File: persons-0108.png (154KB, 421x529px) Image search: [Google]
persons-0108.png
154KB, 421x529px
>>55690117
>decides to use an os which its main mission is to give users control of everything
>complains about how the said os doesn't install itself for him
>>
>>55690479
Glad you mentioned league of legends, it solidifies the difference between people who just want to play video games and use their computers, and people who want a finer understanding of how the software in their system actually works.

I get that you people aren't interested in seeing the inner workings and you'd rather have a button to click on than remember what you're actually asking for at a lower level.

This is like eclipse vs vi/vim.
>>
File: complexities.png (44KB, 878x656px) Image search: [Google]
complexities.png
44KB, 878x656px
>>55690601
"You people"?
REPORTED
>>
File: 2000px-OpenSUSE_Logo.svg.png (89KB, 2000x1433px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-OpenSUSE_Logo.svg.png
89KB, 2000x1433px
>>55689749
>Why don't you use the best distro out there?
I do. Why don't you ?
>>
File: Unsorted 1134.jpg (535KB, 1190x1684px) Image search: [Google]
Unsorted 1134.jpg
535KB, 1190x1684px
is this the new desktop thread??
>>
>>55690601

If you were trying to pin me with people who want pretty buttons, you don't have enough information about me to do so =]

I put league on there for little breaks throughout the day. For my classes, I had to write a few kernel drivers and whatnot as well as do some not-so-fun DSP programming for my senior project. I actually DO care about the inner workings and do only minimal installs to help me learn how everything works. Those wikis are bookmarked and are godsends.

Most of /g/ likes to fapfapfap to their animu on little breaks. I like to play a game or two of league to refresh myself or help generate ideas.

IS THAT SUCH A CRIME?
>>
>>55689749
Too bad Gnome is terrible.
>>
>>55691245
>league
>IS THAT SUCH A CRIME?
yes
>>
>>55691245
I'm just lashing out because 90% of the CS majors at my school had MacBook pro's and didn't know the difference between llvm and gcc.
I actually had runescape on my Arch system for a few days this summer. I can't bash.
>>
>>55691510
Is that really what Gnome looks like now?
It's been years since I've used a desktop environment over a plain old window manager.
>>
>>55692157
With an addon or two and a theme, yes. By default, GNOME doesn't have that dock on the side, and the top panel is black and has an applications button on the left.
The desktop in OP seems to mimic Unity. Which is really just GNOME with an addon or two and a theme...
>>
>>55689749
call me when you can point to a single productive thing arch is used for
>>
>>55690472
underrated post
>>
>his hobby OS is Arch and not OpenBSD

Enjoy playing with GNU, boys.
>>
File: Suddenly_41e113_1559962.jpg (49KB, 640x525px) Image search: [Google]
Suddenly_41e113_1559962.jpg
49KB, 640x525px
>>55689749
>Why don't you use the best distro out there?+ 0 post omitted.
>most stable and reliable
>tfw it's also one of the most up-to-date
>>
Last time I tried it, the installer sperged out, so no.
>>
>>55689749
>sidebar
okay that's fine
>plus a top bar
T O P K E K
O
P
K
E
K
>>
>>55693349
thanks pham
>>
File: 1422850985273.jpg (146KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
1422850985273.jpg
146KB, 736x1104px
Anyone using manjaro here?
Is installing the Intel drivers a good idea?
>>
>linux
>needed to fix, it breaks, drivers etc

Why do people think it better than windows? Because you can tice it to anime? You can do it with windows too
>>
>>55696726
If your graphics card is Intel or your sound card is Intel, you might want to.
>>
Stable? I remember not even getting to the end of the installer without disabling all of its "options" like AUR support enabled. It was a mess.
>>
>>55697886
You didn't try very hard on this one, I hope Microsoft fires you.
>>
>>55698445
I have a T420 with intel HD 3000, I want to install it, since mpv causing the temps to reach 80C because of SW decoder.
>>
>>55689749
I have used both Antergos and Arch.

>Antergos is the choice for new users wanting to have a more elitist feeling when using GNU/Linux

>Arch is for the slightly experienced to somewhat adept GNU/Linux user. It's lightweight, no bloatware or any other shit you don't want on your OS

Both are fine which each one suiting a totally different breed of user.
>>
File: 1442503813959.jpg (47KB, 580x419px) Image search: [Google]
1442503813959.jpg
47KB, 580x419px
>>55689749
I have been for the last year. It ended my distro-hopping.

It's great.
>>
>>55690145
because manjaro uses it's own repos, unlike antergos which is just a nice gui installer and uses official arch repos after that
>>
>>55690590
I work/fix shit in terminal all my worktime, when I come home, I don't wanna see a terminal unless I need to or it's more comfortable than some shit gui program
>>
File: sc_x_mind juicyass.gif (2MB, 388x388px) Image search: [Google]
sc_x_mind juicyass.gif
2MB, 388x388px
Fugg all yous autistic techfags
>everytime i listen to you guise i lose a weedend tinkering with ganooleeenux
>mint and mint only motherfuggers
>>
>>55689749
>>inb4 "Antergos is a meme, use arch instead like me do for the ebic internet points"
>It's literally Arch with an added repository, it's also far easier to install, which is in fact a good thing since "I can install pure arch linux" isn't a real talent

This shit argument has been obsolete for ages. If you want an easier way to install pure Arch, there is architect.
>>
>>55693349
this desu
>>
>>55698520
I wish i could be getting a salary for stating facts on 4chan would be my dream job especially amongst linux and amd retards, you would make my job easy af
>>
>>55689749
>tfw Arch has been my most stable and reliable operating system

Ubuntu had too many bugs. Windows had too many restrictions and not as much functionality.

Been using Arch for a year now with no hiccups. I like how the more I use and customize it, it becomes more and more *MY* operating system.
>>
>>55690145
Change your repos to unstable and you won't have that problem.
>>
is antergos fast? does it run well on shitty old machines?
>>
>>55689749
Can you post that wallpaper?
>>
File: Antergos-2016-07-22-22-13-34.png (308KB, 3440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Antergos-2016-07-22-22-13-34.png
308KB, 3440x1440px
>>55689749
>Freshly installed Antergos
>First boot
>pic related
>nothing happening, no shortcuts working, nothing

works like a charm op
>>
>>55689807
Yeah it's normal. Manjaro has a stable release channel and you're on it. You can enable updates from aur or unstable channels if you prefer having more frequent updates.
>>
File: Robert Mugabe.jpg (18KB, 240x300px) Image search: [Google]
Robert Mugabe.jpg
18KB, 240x300px
>>55690472
MANJARO
>>
>>55704701
No, you just don't get it, this is ULTIMATE MINIMALISM
>>
Antergos has the bugiest installer I have ever seen.
>>
>>55705706
Tried ubuntu's recently?
>>
>>55689749
>offline installation not possible
why.
I live with ~60kbps and the installer fails everytime.
This makes me sad on many levels, including the fact i have to rely almost exclusively on torrents for downlaoding decently.
>>
>>55704701
Add something to the top panel mate ;)
>>
File: sdaf.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sdaf.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
I installed this afternoon antergos With matt, i like it.
>>
>>55705874
Looks nice anon, you should consider pursuing further customization~
>>
File: screen.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screen.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Slackwarefag here.

I tend to prefere a system where the very minimum is enabled by default to make it very lightweight and stable, and where you install components manually, ie: Xorg, multilib support, proprietary drivers, dependencies in package manager...
>>
File: hardinfo.png (20KB, 1130x90px) Image search: [Google]
hardinfo.png
20KB, 1130x90px
>>55705874
Yes, you're right, after a few days I'll try new things, it's my first time with arch-based distribution

Can't understand why in screenfetch CPU say's : 5820K 3.6Ghz , if my CPU it's at 3.3Ghz in BIOS and when i consult hardinfo i can see 3.3Ghz :S
>>
>>55705998
Don't mean it's gotta look like shit, mate.
>>
>>55706159
well it's about everyone's tastes, I personally like this minimalist style, and there is no wasted space at least.
>>
>>55706238
I love minimalism, but that's just hideous.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.