[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best distro to introduce someone to Linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: penguin.jpg (29KB, 600x776px) Image search: [Google]
penguin.jpg
29KB, 600x776px
I'm trying to convert people I know into Linux users to save the world from Microsoft.

What is the best distro for beginners to get a good introduction to Linux?

Not Elementary or anything that won't teach them anything or impress them at all. I'm thinking Ubuntu or Mint.
>>
>>55674168
OpenSUSE or Fedora. Yes, really.
>>
>>55674168
>I'm thinking Ubuntu or Mint.
As a windows user, I asure you they'll only care about desktop.
>>
Mint with Cinnamon.
There is no need to scare them off with a rpm based distro, enterprise grade or unstable.
>>
>>55674168
If people start to avoid you, don't wonder why
>>
>>55674293
This is probably true. I'm not too familiar with it but I'll look it up.
>>
>>55674344
Don't worry, I think I have my autism under control. I will not be forcing them to try it or anything.
>>
>>55674293
Yeah, better scare them off with a distro that eats itself from the inside out instead.
>>
>>55674168
Well, Mint isn't impressive at all too. Maybe Manjaro?
>>
Unrelated but I will ask here.

I want to get into Linux and I'm thinking of trying out Arch. It seems very interesting and I will learn a lot from it. Is this a good idea or should I go with something else? I want to be able to use the terminal a lot. That's what interests me with it.
>>
>>55674168
Arch
>>
>>55674469
Perfect choice if that's what you want it for. You can obviously use the terminal in any distribution, but going without a set DE is the best way. Gentoo/Funtoo is also a good choice if you want bit of a challenge, but arch is probably more user friendly due to the wiki and not having to compile things.
>>
FreeBSD
>>
>>55674168
Debian stable with Gnome 3.
Seems like the middle point.
>>
>>55674655
Ah, thanks for the info. Any tips or a DE you would recommend? XFCE seems nice, but I don't know too much.
>>
>>55674739
I'd personally make your own by choosing all the programs and the WM yourself. Openbox is great for beginners.
>>
>>55674733
Damn, didn't even think about Debian. That's probably a good option.
>>
>>55674201
Not Fedora. Gnome is a laggy piece of shit, mostly on laptops. It runs like pure shit on my laptop. I swear Unity is even faster than it.
>>
>>55674759
Ohhh that sounds interesting. Probably doing that. Seems like it will add a lot of research time though. Guess there is a guide for it if it gets overwhelming.
>>
Peppermint is really nice and normie-friendly.
>>
macOS
>>
>>55674168
>Not Elementary or anything that won't teach them anything or impress them at all. I'm thinking Ubuntu or Mint.
>not trash1, I'm thinking trash2 or trash3

For sure they will be impressed by the incompetence of canonical and the mint team
>>
>>55674168
mx-15
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.