[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emacs OS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 1455032285649.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1455032285649.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
Given how you can do almost everything in Emacs along with how Emacs was written, why does this not exist?

>Portability

>Emacs uses a layered architecture, with a Turing complete language running on top of a smaller central core. Because about three-fourths of the stock Emacs distribution (1266 of 1611 kLOC as of version 24.4) is written in the Elisp extension language [1], and the set of features implemented in Elisp code are automatically present once the C core (which implements the Elisp interpreter, weighing 247 kLOC as of 24.4) has been ported, porting Emacs to a new platform is considerably less difficult than porting an equivalent project consisting of native code only. Theoretically, only the core must be ported to the new platform; once the core is ported, the portions implemented in the language above take minimal work to bring over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs#Portability
>>
All it needs is a halfway-decent text editor.
>>
>>55673334
has anyone ported vim to emacs?
>>
>>55673355
yes, I think it's called 'evil', no joke bro
>>
>>55673355
Just open a terminal in emacs and run vim in that.
Also Spacemacs.
>>
>>55673355
well there' evil mode, I'd say it's close enough
>>
File: GuixSD-V.png (7KB, 159x141px) Image search: [Google]
GuixSD-V.png
7KB, 159x141px
>>55673355
yes, of course
evil-mode is the most popular i believe

>>55673290
emacs isn't an operating system, it is a computational paradigm
the best one that exists

when people are able to reclaim their hardware through advances in things like 3d printing, the true computer revolution will actually begin and you will see awesome shit like elisp/emacs implemented directly on hardware
the glorious age of lisp machines isn't far my friends

in the mean time, i might recommend checking out pic related
>>
>>55673424
>the glorious age of lisp machines isn't far my friends
I bloody hope so.
>>
File: 1441631609023.gif (19KB, 912x240px) Image search: [Google]
1441631609023.gif
19KB, 912x240px
>>55673424
>the glorious age of lisp machines isn't far my friends
Is the keyboard going to be pic related or some 40% meme bullshit?
>>
>>55673373
ah, I have heard about it but wasn't sure if it was a full implementation
>>
File: 4x12-47s2.png (26KB, 2075x691px) Image search: [Google]
4x12-47s2.png
26KB, 2075x691px
>>55673552
my 40% maymboard was quite influenced by the spacecadet actually
i think it's one of the most beautiful pieces of hardware to have ever existed

but the knight, spacecadet, symbolics, etc. keyboards are so utterly beautiful and perfect because they were designed around and with the rest of the machine (both hardware and software) they were building and had full control over
we then went on to standardize the product that is the keyboard and everything got lame
we need to go back to the processive way of doing things
there hopefully won't be a single standardized keyboard - there hopefully won't be a single standardized lisp machine architecture
with 3d printable ics and processors, we will finally be able to achieve true computational freedom in all it"s distributed unique unstandardized glory

this all is also why emacs is so wonderful
it is processive, not productive
emacs is not a product but a process, an approach to computing and how one interacts with their machine, a way of life
>>
emacs has some of the most god awful documentation on planet earth

it's a lot of words that don't actually say anything, it gets to the point where i have to read the uncompiled elisp file from github to understand some functions

i learned more about configuring hexl-mode by reading hexl.el than anything else
>>
>>55673290
All emacs is missing for me is a decent web browser. When emacs 25 gets the webkit browser I can do my entire OS work from within emacs. It's pretty hardcore.
>>
>>55673826
>so utterly beautiful and perfect because they were designed around and with the rest of the machine (both hardware and software) they were building and had full control over
Like the iPhone?
>>
>>55673424
What's so great about GuixSD? Why should I use it over doing a LFS install or just installing trisquel?
>>
>>55675079
the entire thing aims to be configurable using scheme, even the bootloader i think
>>
>>55675113
Well, I don't know scheme so it wouldn't be much use for me. Maybe if I ever do learn scheme I'll give a go.
>>
File: SICPLecture-1a - 00:00:52.png (105KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
SICPLecture-1a - 00:00:52.png
105KB, 320x240px
>>55675135
It will take you half an hour max to nicely wrap your head around how guile[scheme] works enough to be able to do nontrivial things with it.
If you then choose to delve deeper, you're mind will be blown wide open and all other languages will come to feel unusably incomplete.
Highly recommend giving the SICP lectures a go.
https://archive.org/details/MIT_Structure_of_Computer_Programs_1986/
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.