[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you apply your thermal paste /g/? This is my second time,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
How do you apply your thermal paste /g/?

This is my second time, first time I tried 5 dots and got uneven coverage, now I'm doing and X
>>
>>55673089
>that pic
T-That's too much though.
>>
Oh, no joke OP, just let it all sit on one focal point in the center. Then when you have a good blob there, use the rest that is still leaking out of the applicant syringe-looking thingy and circle around the still exposed parts of the processor until it stops coming out, then put cap back on.

This has worked best for me, if you have it all in one little ball when you squeeze it with the heatsink it will evenly disperse into all directions
>>
>>55673089
Just use X
X is the best
>>
>>55673126
I have to deeply agree with this anon. I have an LGA 2011 cpu and didn't even use that much. Less is more with themal paste
>>
>>55673137
Also this method probably works best cpu coolers can put almost 100lbs of pressure down.
>>
The difference between X, +, ° or you smear it over the CPU are at most 1-2°C. Just make sure it's enough paste but doesn't spread out of the side. Also it doesn't matter if you use $10 thermal paste or the one that comes with the cooler.
>>
Desktop CPUs are easy just put a blob in the center and push.

Laptops are harder because the processors are not uniform in size and there's no giant heatshield.
>>
just put a small blob in the middle jesus christ

it literally doesn't even need to cover the whole IHS when spread, in fact the thinner the layer the better

if you see it coming out the sides it's too much
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MEAnZ3swQ
>>
>>55673089
Slightly Offset line going North-South will do. The actual silicon is much smaller than the heatspreader. Covering the whole heatspreader with paste is a waste.
>>
File: 2016-07-20-180125_722x410_scrot.png (36KB, 722x410px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-20-180125_722x410_scrot.png
36KB, 722x410px
OP here, actually went pretty well, took off my cooler after fully locking it down post-pasting, has a nice even coat across the whole thing

moving from arctic ceramique to AS5 is nice 4-5 degree idle temperature change

pic related, old paste, old 5 dot method
>>
File: 2016-07-20-183308_722x410_scrot.png (36KB, 722x410px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-20-183308_722x410_scrot.png
36KB, 722x410px
>>55673404
and new paste, big ass X method, definitely applied too much, but hey, its cooler
>>
File: y.jpg (54KB, 300x304px) Image search: [Google]
y.jpg
54KB, 300x304px
>Not using a precision electronic thermal paste dispenser
What is this, pleb hour?
>>
>>55673089
Rice grain sized blob in the center, place the heatsink down flat on it. Did this with some tx-2 from years ago and I get a degree or two above ambient on my 6600k with h7.

That was only my third time doing it, it's really easy if you don't overthink it.

>>55673207
Overall I agree, but there actually are some really shit pastes that come with coolers out there.
>>
>>55673089
I use a pea-sized glob in the center of the heat spreader.

If I know the orientation of the die underneath the heatspreader, I'll make a short line parallel to the longest side of, and in the center of the rectangular die.
>>
>>55673089
>千
What did he mean by this???
>>
>>55673089
IS THAT AN AEROPLANE???
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.