[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you use a UPS? If so, on what?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: ups.jpg (39KB, 594x480px) Image search: [Google]
ups.jpg
39KB, 594x480px
Do you use a UPS? If so, on what?
>>
I own like five of 'em. They're hooked up to just about everything PC-related in the house.

They show up at second-hand stores all the time for about ten bucks. People throw them out because "it dont work no more" when usually all they need is a new battery, available for less than $20 on Amazon.
>>
Yup, running a 1500VA unit for my desktop, monitors, and speakers. If power goes out I can watch 20-30 minutes of anime before the battery in the UPS goes out.
>>
I've had mine for nearly 8 years, battery is starting to wear down. I use it with my PC.
>>
What is this shit for
>>
I do, though mine needs a new battery
>>
>>55670556
If there is a storm and your power goes out for a minute or two, or even just a few seconds. a UPS will provide battery power to keep your computer running so you dont lose any data, or if it's just during a quick power outage, so you can stay online until power comes back.

Just last night we had a decent thunderstorm roll through and power flickered 2-3 times in an hour. Had I not had UPS my computer would have shut off, potentially causing damage. With my UPS however I only noticed because of the lights flickering, my movie continue to play uninterrupted.
>>
 .-. .-. .-. | .-.
'-' '-' '-' | '-'
>>
>>55670556
It's basically just a battery/surge protector rolled into one device.
>>
But its just a big power strip. Nah
>>
No because I don't live in a shitty country where power outages are actually a normal thing.
>>
>>55670828
Majority of the US can't afford to lay power underground, and it is only required by certain local laws.
Meaning many many places in the US have power outages, while not frequently, frequently enough where a UPS is a good idea. Especially for highly sensitive electronics (plasma TVs are a big one).
>>
>>55670607
lol Americans
>>
>>55670871
I know. The power grid and infrastructure in the US is pretty bad compared to in Europe. I've actually only experienced one power outage in my life, which lasted for about 30 minutes.
>>
>>55670365
>5
I have some kind of halfassed inbetween version that keeps outages from frying my computer but doesn't keep them from turning off.

It's a lot less bulky than a UPS though.
>>
Yep.

I have my desktop, speakers and monitors hooked to a 900 watt one. It's a cyberpower if I recall. Can't imagine having a nice desktop and not using one, it's already been through 3 power outages and is well worth it.

Plus, mine is big enough that I can charge both my phone and laptop completely a couple times off the battery, which is handy as fuck during longer outages.
>>
Have one for router, switch and server
>>
>1500VA unit for computer, monitor, cable modem, and wireless router
>plan to be able to browse interwebz or whatever for about 20-30 minutes if power goes out.
>such a scenario presents itself and quickly becomes apparent that somehow power and cable are tied together
>No power = no cable = no cable modem = no internet
>fuck
>>
>>55670969
>The power grid and infrastructure in the US is pretty bad compared to in Europe.
That is not remotely true, unless you're comparing shitholes of the US to Europe's few first-world countries.

The UK, France and Germany are not the only places in Europe. If you're honestly implying the Czech Republic or Poland have better electrical grids than most of the US, yoou've never been there.
>>
I use them for my router, switch and two access points. As well as 3 servers
>>
>>55671049
Have you even been to those countries yet?

It isn't 1980 anymore, they've practically surpassed Western Europe with the exception of absolute shitholes like Bulgaria or Albania
>>
>>55670365
does my laptop battery count as a UPS?
>>
>>55671105
Yes
>>
>>55671100
I can confirm this. All the technical infrastructure in western Europe is old and obsolete, while eastern Europe's is getting modernized. That's because they didn't have shit for a long time and now have the advantage of getting all the good stuff for cheap while the rest is stuck with DSL.
>>
>>55670896
>dont know what ups is for
>haha lol americans so dumb
>>
Yes, literally everything is plugged into it. Pretty difficult to find none surge protected power strips. I have a generator so I just need it to hold a minute or two until the generator kicks on. And in the last several years the power doesn't go out more than 4 or 5 minutes anyway.
>>
My server, SBC, and desktop are set up with one. I've got to get a new battery though
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.