[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Multiple Computer Setup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 8870414_orig.png (896KB, 1100x745px) Image search: [Google]
8870414_orig.png
896KB, 1100x745px
I recently built my first PC for VR game development, but I don't want to sell my iMac.

I currently have them both on the same desk using Synergy, and it works great, but wanted to know if there are any other apps or uses that I should be utilizing. I can also switch the mac to Bootcamp so I can use any software.

Are there any uses during programming or graphic design that any of you can think of for a multiple computer setup, or is it retarded? I still don't know how I'm going to sync files between the two.
>>
>>55667083
>control
If you want independent displays, stay with synergy, if you want every display for each device, a good KVM set.
>file sharing
I can't recommend network storage enough. It's the way to go.
>>
File: 1446831973577.png (238KB, 642x1488px) Image search: [Google]
1446831973577.png
238KB, 642x1488px
>>55667083
>2016
>macintrash literally has to use some gimped 3rd party multi-computer screen spanning shit just to get multi-monitors working

AYYLMAO
>>
>>55668958
The reason this became an issue in the first place is because of Apple's retarded restriction of using the iMac screen as a display monitor. It can only output, otherwise I would have loved to use the beautiful 1440p APA monitor with my PC. I don't want to let it go, though, so synergy is the best I can do.

>I can't recommend network storage enough. It's the way to go.
I'll be honest I don't know much about that, seems pretty hardcore and expensive. I was hoping I could connect an external hard drive to my PC and just share it over the network to the Mac.
>>
>>55669452
>I was hoping I could connect an external hard drive to my PC and just share it over the network to the Mac.
I'd recommend attaching the hard drive to the Mac. My situation is a Windows 10 desktop that I use the majority of the time with an El Capitan laptop that I use occasionally. I have network shares on both the desktop and laptop. I don't know why, but OS X mounts the W10 shares as read-only, meaning I can't move a file from within OS X to W10, but on my desktop, I can move/delete anything on the OS X shares.

All you have to do is go to System Preferences > Sharing, check the box for File Sharing, and then click Options. AFP is exclusive to OS X, SMB is what will make your network shares compatible with Windows. I've noticed usually the laptop's shares will show up in the sidebar of Explorer before the W10 machine shows up in the sidebar of Finder, but you can "force" a connection from OS X -> Windows by opening Finder, pressing Command-K, and typing in
cifs://192.168.1.2
or whatever the local IP of the Windows box is.
>>
>>55670566
Hmm interesting, thanks for the heads up.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.