[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Custom Android ROMs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 305
Thread images: 18

File: CyanogenMod.jpg (150KB, 1024x761px) Image search: [Google]
CyanogenMod.jpg
150KB, 1024x761px
What does /g/ have on their phones instead of stock android?

>or

Why haven't you upgraded to a more secure, private, organized and faster OS?

Don't you care that the manufacturer update system is insecure as fuck?

>inb4 appel shills
This is not your thread. This is about running a MORE open os and DEFEATING planned obsolescence.
>>
I run stock, but rooted and with a ton of xposed mods on my one m8.
The thing is that the stock is more stable with all those feutures that i use. I tried cm and some aosp based ones before but i just cant deal with the bugs.
>>
>>55665512
CM12.1 with microG
>>
>>55665558
Were you running a nightly or one of the more stable builds? I've never had any major bugs unless I was on the bleeding edge.
>>
>>55665607
Yes, it was a nightly from the cm website and the other one was something called reconstrucion remix with it's own kernel and with a lot of features an suprisingly it worked better than the official cm
>>
>>55665512
Xosp is pretty sweet
>>
Stock on Nexus with a custom launcher.

I've done everything with custom roms, launchers, xposed modules, etc etc. It's boring and more effort than it's worth. With Nexus I get rapid updates and a smooth experience, Nova launcher gives me a bit more customisation because stock Android is slightly lacking on that front.
>>
I'm enjoying Krexus on my moto g and nexus 7. It's basically slimmed down aosp. Nearly no apps, and only a few features, all of which are actually useful (to me). Then get xposed and mod away
>>
>>55665690
Yeah the thing about nightlies is that they're basically automatically generated betas. They tend to work pretty well all in all but if you're having any problems it's usually better to go back to a stable version. Once you're running CM you can update without having to flash from recovery. If I'm gonna run a nightly I like to check with XDA to see if there are any incompatibilities.
>>
Cant chance rom because there isnt any
>>
>>55665778
What's the best system for handling app restrictions you've found? I found that xprivacy tended to crash apps without warning and the spoofing feature wasn't that helpful
>>
>>55665796
So it's like the Xubuntu of android?
>>
Running custom stock + custom kernel with xposed. Used to flash shit constantly till CM builds fucked up the data toggling.
>>
>>55665856
I suppose? Except you don't have to tell people your using Ubuntu. And it's not running xfce, which I feel is the most important difference between xubuntu and Ubuntu...
>>
CM13 right now but there is no stable build for my G3 and the nightly I'm running now has enormous battery drain issues. Must be something related to the mosem cause sometimes the cellular connection stops working and then it uses practically no battery at all.
I think I'll end up switching back to lollipop. There is no good marshmallow ROM for my phone.
>>
Rooted OnePlus One on Cyanogenmod 13 Nightly
>>
I'm rocking G3 too. Resurrection Remix was the only one I found was solid. (till CM fucked up) just used RR's 6/20 build + nebula kernel.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gukMzAQBSk

Using beta miui 8, it lags so bad I have to switch back to aosp
>>
>>55665512
CM 13 +Xposed + microg.
>>
>>55665944
Yeah I usually go one major version behind for stability's sake. The cool thing about CM vs stock is CM actually integrates security updates into the older builds. So shit like stagefright actually gets patched back to JELLYBEAN. It's fucking nice.
>>
I'm running stock, rooted, and xposed with gravity box on my 6p. No problems at all.
>>
Sane as >>55665961 few Xposed modules but nothing interesting
>>
>>55666025
What do you use xposed for that CM doesn't cover?
>>
M9, running ICE with that roms stock kernel
Think the battery is starting to give though
>>
>>55666077
Not that guy but
Adblocker that actually works on YouTube and background playback without Red
>>
Running CM13. I need some help tho. When trying to flash xposed through twrp I get ERROR: 1
Checked with online at it said that I do not have space in /system/ which I do.
>>
>>55666077
Probably for FakeGapps (I also use microG)
>>
>>55666106
Why not just use adaway?
>>
MIUI gets weekly updates
Simply running the xiaomi.eu version, but not sure why.
>>
>>55666122
Try using flashify instead
>>
I just want something to escape the botnet with. I don't care about Gapps, I don't care about the Play Store, I want freedom. Does anyone have any suggestions that aren't CM?
>>
>>55666143
Not sure how the youtube ads function, but Adaway doesn't work with it.
>>
>>55666215
What phone do you have? You could install a decent AOSP build if you have a nexus..
>>
>>55666106
What about spotify adds?
>>
>>55666200
I run resurrection remix cynagenmod 13 on my Redmeme note 3 pro. It's pretty stable for me so far and battery life is about as long as MIUI.
>>
I have a samsung galaxy s4 with and cm12.1 with the opengapps micro package. Also I replaced the aosp email app with K-9 mail and the stock camera with open camera.
>>
moto g 2nd lte
rom: android ice cold project
kernel: halogen
has been running like total shit recently desu
>>
>>55666215
There are a good dozen suggestions. What is it about CM that you don't like?
>>
>>55666341
Nothing like a good indie distro
>>
I hesitate so hard guys
Cyanogenmod 13 without xposed
Or
AOSP (i have a moto g 1st) with xposed
>>
File: Screenshot_20160720-112934.png (68KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160720-112934.png
68KB, 720x1280px
Official CM13 7-20-2016 + pico gapps+ SDK 26 xposed

Note 2 unlimited data verizon
>>
File: aerhh.jpg (52KB, 460x589px) Image search: [Google]
aerhh.jpg
52KB, 460x589px
I'd like to hear why people picked the distro that they did. If not CM than why something else? Was CM the first thing you tried?
>>
>>55667106
CM was indeed my first dive in the custom ROM world a couple of years ago, but nowadays I'm using it because it's the only thing actively updated for my phone, and it runs well.

CM and Resurrection are pretty much the only actively developed ROMs for it, and Resurrection is a fucking bloated mess.

I'm a fan of Omni and Paranoid Android myself, by the way; if my phone had recent builds of them I'd install them without thinking.
>>
There aren't any functional roms for my phone, so I have to run stock.
I installed Xposed today, are there any good modules for it?
>>
>>55667435
What are you trying to do?
Also what is you phone?
>>
>>55667631
I'm trying to get as much functionality as possible out of my phone since stock was pretty gimped. It's an Xperia M4.
>>
Running a custom TouchWiz rom on my s7e because there aren't any aosp roms yet
>>
Running MIUI on my LG phone
>>
Stock supports secure boot and monthly security updates. Required to use Android Pay securely.

So yeah I run stock.
>>
>>55667435
Gravitybox
Greenify
Swipeback2
Xprivacy
Complete action plus
Native Clipboard
>>
I have rooted Z3 with locked bootloader, thinking about installing custom rom but each one over at xda seems to be some unstable rajeet crap. If anyone knows a STABLE rom for the Z3 that doesnt reboot, force close or has questionably working basic features, that would be swell.
>>
my iphone 5 doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>55665512
>This is not your thread. This is about running a MORE open os and DEFEATING planned obsolescence.

No need to say that, Apple users are more mature than that. We are don't get triggered by people buying a different brand. How pathetic would that be? lel
>>
>>55667915
How are you getting monthly security updates? Are you just talking about google play services? For most android users updates come very late if ever. Android's broken update system is actually one of the biggest reasons to consider switching to a custom rom.
>>
>>55668047
I only buy Nexus devices.
>>
>>55667963
Just get Sailfish OS, you're one of the lucky ones whose device has a port.

But reallly , the Z3 has a decent amount of developers working on it, if CM and Paranoid Android aren't your thing, check out the Original Development section on XDA. The roms there are usually clean (no sound "boosters", placebo scripts built in, or anything like that).
>>
>>55668112
CM only released nightlies for z3 and im not installing that, and paranoid android returns a blank page: http://get.aospa.co/official/leo
>>
>>55668072
You know I really like how the nexus line fits into the ecosystem.

You have android at large which plays into the traditional carrier controlled phone system, where the carrier does whatever the hell they want in terms of customization, with the downside that they often don't bother with proper updates. Then you have Apple who creates enough demand for the iphone that they can force the carriers to take it as is with no modifications or bloat, which lets them force updates regularly with no interference. They leverage their demand in a way that android can't. Android could never enforce uniform updates across all of it's devices, but it does provide the nexus line to fill that niche for people who want it while still providing far more devices to choose from and freedom in how to use those devices than apple ever does. And if you want some specific feature or combination, you still have those hundreds of other devices to choose from, which I find pretty appealing.

And then there's windows phone :^)
>>
>>55668320
I also own an xperia phone, and it has been in the nightly stage for at least a year now but don't let the "nightly" thing scare you; check the thread for the official CM version on xda and see whether people have problems with it.

But to be honest, switching to AOSP-based ROMs isn't really worth it. You'll lose your camera quality (unlocking the bootloader does that, but when you install those, it will become even shittier). The audio can also get louder and start being distorted at high volumes. For some people, even the battery life can go down.
>>
>>55668455
So why exactly do people even flash custom roms to it? Don't get me wrong, I had custom rom on my previous two phones (HTC) but on Z3 it just doesn't seem to be worth it. I literally havent found a single rom that even claims to be like stock, but optimized.
>>
One plus one on the stock COS 13.1, rooted and xposed with some plugins
>>
>>55668455
How the hell does just unlocking the bootloader have any impact on camera quality? That's some dark magic right there
>>
>>55668628
Camera DRM is stored on some "TA partition" that gets removed whilst unlocking bootloader.
>>
>>55665512
Newish cm nightly for nexus 5
>>
>>55666025
How did you get xposed and cm13? They're not compatible
>>
>>55668628
That's only on sony phones - unlocking the bootloader wipes the TA partition (which has DRM keys in it).

The good news is that it can be backed up,though I don't know the exact steps for the Z3,

>>55668494
To the Z3? Maybe it's people who are used to the "stock Android" feel of Cyanogenmod. Or people who want more customization.

Honestly, if I had the Z3, I wouldn't touch it much besides rooting it (for AdAway). I like the stability of stock, and I wouldn't toy around with an expensive phone like that.

The only reason I'm running CM right now is for running software that requires newer Android versions (mine got abandoned at 4.2), and to avoid getting my ass hacked due to all those exploits being found recently. I don't care about "freedom" or "customization" at all.

>>55668763
Isn't that just a matter of flashing a .zip through your recovery and installing the app from the xda thread? I'm on CM12.1 myself, but there are also xposed builds for CM13..
>>
>>55668848
I thought it wasn't compatible at all with the new framework (art is it? I forget)
>>
>>55668873
Oh, that got taken care of long ago.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811
>>
I stopped caring about custom ROMs, root and all that stuff the day I got myself a Nexus 5x. Everything just works and I get updates the day they get released without having to worry about things breaking or not working perfectly.
>>
>>55668923
What about all the ads?
>>
>>55665512
Bone stock M9 here. Sense is an amazing Android offshoot, but I would like more control over my phone.

Recommend me a non-stock for a first time ricer? I'll be practicing on my old M8(also stock HTC sense) before I make any moves on my daily driver
>>
>>55668763
I'm not sure on other phones, but it is working on my old MTKshit phone. Maybe the SuperSU issue.

Don't laugh yet, my primary phone is iPhone 6s (postpaid plan paid by the company where I work).

Now laugh.
>>
>>55669081
I ran Android Revolution HD on my old One X and it was great, but that was years ago. Although it would only make sense to be better.
>>
>>55669036
Firefox for Android + Adblock takes care of them whenever I'm browsing, and I pay for most my apps to both support the dev and to get rid of ads.
>>
>>55665512
I actually just run a stripped down stock 5.0. It's stock in every way, it just has all the Sprint bullshit taken out of it. I never really felt the need to swap it out for CM when I got it since 5.0 is pretty comfy.

The only thing I miss is app permission management. I would kill for that in stock 5.0, I wish somebody would just write an app for it since I'm rooted, I would pay like 3 bucks for that.
>>
>>55669179
Firefox runs terribly on my phone, and I prefer Google's sync functions, so I keep using Chrome on mine. As a result, I lose out on uBO.
In your case, sounds like you're fine yes.
>>
>>55669203
If you can get xposed up and running xprivacy is decent
>>
>>55665512
no Cyanogen for S6 T-Mobile. So I stayed on stock and rooted.
>>
>>55669236
Last time I tried to get Xposed working it ended up soft-bricking my phone and I had to re-flash the whole thing.
>>
>>55669241
http://wccftech.com/how-to-update-t-mobile-galaxy-s6-to-android-6-0-1/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-galaxy-s6/orig-development/kernels-twisted-kernel-6-0-1-mm-5-11-16-t3377283
>>
>>55665512
I have stock android because there is no guide to root my phone (and I'm not good enough to jailbreak it myself from scratch).

my phone has better specs than any other entry phones back then (2 years ago). I will wait until my phone breaks or becomes too damaged before I buy another one but next time I will buy a phone I can unbloat.
>>
>>55669287
Congratulations scout, you've earned the rank of tenderfoot. Now you get up, dust yourself off, and go look for a nice 500 page thread to find out why that happened so you can do better next time
>>
I fell for the edge 7 meme, so stock atm. Will probably root soon though
>>
>>55665512
>Custom Android ROMs
Yeah, I'd like to trust my phone with a rom some pajeet put up together.
Also, for the custom roms that aren't shit, you sacrifice your camera and I don't like that.
>>
>>55669347
If it a MTKshit. Just use Kingroot, or Framaroot for really old MTKshits.
>>
>>55669458
It's a huawei 302hw. It's my first smartphone and I accumulated quite a delay in knowledge over the years of having only a dumbphone.

I won't over estimate my abilities and admit I am unable to do anything "advanced" (heck, I don't even know how to uninstall google+) without a "beginner guide" Arch install tier guide.
>>
>>55669309
thanks, i'll check this out.
>>
>>55669507
How much was that phone? I can only find prices in yen...

If you just want root, not a custom rom, it's probably super easy. Like 3 steps in 2 minutes easy. Try going to towelroot.com and downloading the apk to see if it roots your phone.
>>
My own flavor of omnirom
>>
>>55669654
I bought it in JPY. I had a discount on it because I took a two years contract. converting to USD back then, I got it for $66.

I'll try the application you recommend. Before I do so, is there anything to worry if the process fails in the meanwhile (phone freezes or something like that)?
Should something happen, would it make my phone unusable or just as it was before I began the process?
>>
File: fuck.png (472KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
472KB, 960x540px
Still hoping for CM 12 on my Elephone P4000

Atleast it comes with lollipop AOSP
Battery last for like 5 days easy

>Don´t have the skill to port CM myself
>Kill me now
>>
>>55669749
It comes with Mediatek, so little chance..
>>
>>55669749
Yeah, I'm looking to port Sailfish OS myself, but I have never done any porting..
>>
AOSPA bitches
>>
>>55669724
No it's pretty harmless. If your phone freezes just reset it.
>>
CM 12.1 on my s5 at the moment.

I'm considering switching back to stock though, I don't see much use CM compared to Stock aside from customization. Even then, I can just run an xposed module to redesign the shitty touchwiz dropdown.
>>
>>55669868
Can you briefly explain how is this working? I am reading the thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2783157 as I type this reply.
>>
>>55665512
I use Paranoid Android for my Xperia Z (yuga). Hopefully there will be a custom rom with Android 6 or higher that doesn't break the camera and stuff.
>>
>>55669911
Kek. I had that link open in another tab. It's based off an exploitable weakness in the android kitkat kernel that affect most phones. Since most phones don't get updated very often, the crack goes unpatched. Towlroot uses that to take administrative control over your phone, and pass those privileges to whatever app you put in charge. So basically you download it, install it (enable sideloading if it's your first 3rd party app). You click the button, and in a few second's it's done it's thing. You then install the chainfire's supersu from the app store and it becomes like your phones administrator controls, and prompts you whenever an app asks for administrative privileges.
>>
I want to root my S6 edge, but I cant find shit for it so Im stuck with botnet sprint bloatware.
>>
>>55670034
I received an "update" early april this year. I hope this exploit hasn't been patched.

So after I ran towelroot, I have to install supersu to get to delete all the stuff from the manufacturer / service provider I don't need?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-21-04-46-59.jpg (106KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-21-04-46-59.jpg
106KB, 720x1280px
>>55670034
Ah. I guess I'll have to keep all the bloat in my pocket longer...
>>
>>55665558
Alex is that you?

I run slimrom for better battery and less bloat. although its buggy sometimes on the opx
>>
>>55670151

Yup. And install an uninstaller app. Just download Titanium Backup, and back up everything. Titanium Backup can also uninstall apps.
>>
>>55670281
>>55670200
Towelroot isn't working on my phone. I'll try titanium backup to uninstall applications I don't need.

I guess I'll have to wait few years and my next phone to start messing around with ROMs.
>>
>>55665603
CM13 with µg here.
feels good not to be part of the google botnet.
>>
>>55670281
>>55670330
Well, I can't use titanium backup if I don't have root access...
>>
>>55670330
Titanium needs root to do that. You can try kingroot. I've never used it personally but it has a much higher rate of success with newer devices.
>>
>>55670330
Sorry. I forgot to tell you that TiBu is a root app.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/support-list-kingroot-huawei-t3112338

You don't need to download SuperSU if you are using Kingroot. It has its own SU.
>>
>>55670046

forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6-edge/general/to-root-s6-edge-thr-t3401269/post674177292#post67417729
>>
>>55665512
Cyanogen OS 13.1
The default MemePlus One Rom, so not a nightly
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-21-05-08-17.jpg (254KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-21-05-08-17.jpg
254KB, 720x1280px
>>55670371
>>55670391
Kingroot does not work either after few failed trials.
>>
>>55670509
I'd do what it says. Desktop access means adb control, which can do a lot of things apps can't. But it's up to you how long you wanna stay at this.
>>
>>55670552
I'll try the desktop later when I can borrow a laptop with windows on it. (only have linux on my computers)
>>
CM13
>>
im still using CM11 on an S3

shit is probably unsecure as fuck
>>
>>55671901
Depends. They do add important security updates to their older version builds, so if it's one of their newer CM11 releases you should be good. Also you can now use their updater without having to flash from recovery, so that helps
>>
>>55672023
I haven't updated since 2014 or something

and I have no space to update anyway
>>
>>55665512
>more secure
Custom ROMs are nice and all, but don't kid yourself. There's nothing particularly secure about a phone running CyanogenMod - shit breaks constantly, which undoubtedly leads to the possibility of various security exploits, and having an unlocked bootloader doesn't help either.
>>
>>55665512
CM14 insider preview
>>
>>55672043
You might give it a try anyway:

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Updating

That shit that went down with Stagefright last year is hella bad. Someone can text your phone with a video and get remote access.
>>
>>55672181
that's fine lol my credit card info is probably all over the place now
>>
>>55670333
CM13 without µg here.
feels good actually not to be part of the google botnet.
>>
>>55672181
anyway, does all data remain the same after an update? I might go to a CM13 nightly

honestly mostly worried about contacts, whatsapp chats and the likes
>>
One plus one with Sultan ROM.

Runs super smooth and does not feel like a hot brick with heavy usage. Contains so many optimizations for typical opo problems its too hard to list.
>>
>>55672154
It's not that they're more secure by design, it's that the regular update system is incredibly broken for most android phones. Apple and the nexus line get frequent, hot-off-the-presses updates automatically. Most android phones get updates months later, and often manufacturers only release a handful of updates before they leave the software to rot. So a huge number of phones are never patched against common critical exploits. Custom roms give people a chance to rectify that, which makes a huge difference to overall security.
>>
So is stock just the google OS? I don't want to use google
>>
Nexus 5X completely stock. Last phone I had was the S2 T989 and holy fuck what I did to that poor device was nothing short of torture.

For future reference, a phone should not be put through a 12% overclock. 70°C minimum at idle.
>>
>>55672300
Custom ROMs are actually insecure by design. Yes, you get protection from the exploits in AOSP, but if you are actually security focused, custom ROMs like CyanogenMod are one of the worst choices you could make. Instead, use a security-focused ROM like https://copperhead.co/android/ (hardened libc, full verified boot, longer encryption passwords, PaX, etc)
>>
>>55665512

CM13 on Xiaomi Mi5, because MIUI is infuriating.

I don't buy a phone unless it has CM development in some capacity. Last phone I had that I used the stock ROM for any decent amount of time would have been my Zenfone 2 and I just miss the CM simplicity and features.
>>
>>55666143

Not him but Adaway doesn't get rid of the blank source left behind by ads in apps, MinMinGuard does
>>
>>55672253

That's a bit of a big jump, but you can give it a shot. Here's an app that helps you with incremental upgrades:

http://www.technobuzz.net/get-ota-update-cyanogenmod-12-cm12-nightlys/

If you're worried about your information just do a backup to an sd card. That way you can recover everything if you have a problem.
>>
File: .png (124KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
.png
124KB, 1080x1920px
>>55665512
crDroid + lambda kernel. crDroid is consistently the least problematic ROM for me. As for lambda kernel, well, see for yourselves.
>>
>>55668763
It's always been compatible.
http://dl-xda.xposed.info/framework/sdk23/
>>
>>55672397
That looks pretty tits but it's irrelevant. That mod is just for the Nexus/Pixel lines. We've already established that those are ideal on stock and anybody with a nexus is probably immune to the manufacturer update issue. Cyanogenmod has already created their own OS and phones, the do an excellent job in incorporating security, and they give granular control of permissions in a way google doesn't touch. And most of all they give users an excellent opportunity to upgrade their phones in a way that simply isn't possible running stock on most models. Even if you don't go full militant hardening mode, that's still and excellent improvement.
>>
File: .png (30KB, 300x355px) Image search: [Google]
.png
30KB, 300x355px
>having custom recovery installed
>security
>>
File: aEweVQ9_460sa_v1.gif (1MB, 400x231px) Image search: [Google]
aEweVQ9_460sa_v1.gif
1MB, 400x231px
>>55672154
>>55672733
>>55672797

Yes. Custom roms ARE potentially way more secure. No, I'm not saying you can go out and flash any mom & pop kernel you find and expect it to magically be well written and reliable. There are guaranteed to be some malicious roms out there. But some of them are very good, and infected devices are springing up like crazy right now because nobody is acknowledging the elephant in the room. While apple and nexus are secure, 3rd party android and 3rd party windows phones don't receive updates for nearly as long as people use their devices; an it's only getting worse as hardware starts becoming powerful enough to last several years. For those people, running a well chosen custom rom will absolutely reduce their chances of infection.

http://www.howtogeek.com/225834/stagefright-what-you-need-to-know-and-how-to-protect-yourself/

http://www.howtogeek.com/163958/why-do-carriers-delay-updates-for-android-but-not-iphone/
>>
>>55670333
>µg

You mean play services? or what?
>>
>>55672733
>Cyanogenmod has already created their own OS and phones

What? afaik they still do android forks and they only did a few deals to provide official support to some brands, buts thats all
>>
Ressurection Remix 5.6.9 with GApps
>>
>>55673521
Their big catch was the OnePlusOne but they did 7 or 8 others, which basically puts it at Mozilla OS levels of market penetration but whatever. The OS fork is pretty similar but uses the Apache license instead of GPL and includes more proprietary stuff.
>>
>>55673663

If cyanogen inc actually got an OEM to make a cyanogen brand phone I would buy it
>>
>>55665512
>more secure
how is this more secure?

>let random people write your OS and provide updates
>let a corporation like Google write your OS and provide updates
>>
>>55673724
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MI3S2FM/ref=psdc_2407749011_t2_B00LEAPLWW

No point in getting it over a nexus tho.
>>
>>55666106
Use newpipe from fdroid, it does background play. I honestly don't know why people still use Google Play as their primary repository.
>>
File: 3fyi0.jpg (42KB, 480x269px) Image search: [Google]
3fyi0.jpg
42KB, 480x269px
>>55673796

>>55673345
>>
Just installing the last CM13 nightly on my venerable S4.

I'd like to try something else but, CM always a reasonable and easy to install choice.
>>
>>55673724
One Plus One was Cyanogenmod OEM.

It sucked.
>>
>>55665512
Nexus 6p running Stock MM with latest July patches. rooted, Xposed, Gravity Box.
Works for me
>>
>>55665512
Android 4.3 Eclipse ROM on a Motorola Droid RAZR XT912

I have this phone because I am poor and this phone stopped receiving stock updates after 4.1. Had to get some sort of update. Also nice to be able to control what apps get installed (the bloatware specifically).
>>
how do i know if custom ROMs are safe?

same with rooting.
>i found out how to root your phone
>just run this software that i created. no RATs ;^)

>xposed framework and apps on non-Google play store
>it's free and customizable. no RATs ;^)
>>
resurection remix
its ok but im getting some really weird battery issues with some apps (namely whatsapp, facebook and google play services) that keep the radio or data network on even tho the phone is off
but upon further reading i think its a bug introduced with lollipop
its a shame since i dont like wifi on
>>
>>55674051
Yeah, it really sucks that phone companies put people in the situation of having to choose between using a wildly insecure, unpached os or meandering around the internet looking for ways to jailbreak their phones. They really should give you the tools to unlock it if they're not going to provide support. But as it is the best we can do is go to trusted sources like xda and try to rely on tools made by the most trusted community members. Or keep constantly buying new phones. Or buy one that gets long term updates. What's funny is that google realizes all of this, and there's nothing they can do about it but wave their arms wildly and point furtively towards the nexus
>>
>>55673498
microg.org
>>
>>55665512
>to a more secure, private, organized and faster OS
>posts currymod
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>55670333
Did you seriously go look for the µ character instead of typing out micro despite the latter being the official name just to look cool or something? Are you 12?
>>
>>55673946

You retarded jap? +1 is a subsidiary of Oppo, a chinese oem you dumb fuck

They got nothing to do with cyanogen, they just licensed the ROM dipshit
>>
Probs gonna load nethunter on my Nexus and then flash it back to stock. This thing lags if I don't flash it on a monthly basis.
>>
Why do you tarts like cm so much? Whole appeal of custom roms is lack of bloat ware. CM has as much as stock
>>
>>55673345
Are you seriously retarded? There's nothing secure about running a custom ROM as it 99% means you have an unlocked bootloader. Any old joe can pick up your phone, do a bit of googling and have the phone belong to them in an hour.

>b-b-but muh 0days
Yeah, so much shit went down with stagefright. Oh wait.
>>
>>55674629
Don't know about you, but the µ key is on the keyboard
>>
>>55674951
If you're dumb enough to let someone else have your phone, you having previously unlocked your bootloader is not going to be the thing that makes the difference. And shit gets infected all the time. That's why android and windows phone have absurdly high rates of infection.
>>
>>55668763
You're thinking of GravityBox which can have issues with CM
>>
>>55674927
>Whole appeal of custom roms is lack of bloat ware. CM has as much as stock
CM has no bloatware, the google apps are installed separately and you can even choose "core" or "minimal".

Where the fuck do your get your information?
>>
>>55674951
Security doesn't mean your phone is inpossible to erase, it means your phone can't be easily cracked
>>
>>55675022
>If you're dumb enough to let someone else have your phone
Unless you're a hikki neet who never takes your phone outside what gives you the confidence you'll never have a slip up in the future?

>you having previously unlocked your bootloader is not going to be the thing that makes the difference
How so faggot? Security measures that would otherwise be valid and effective with a locked bootloader are rendered void.

>And shit gets infected all the time.
Most infections happen because of social engineering. How does a custom ROM prevent that? Do you have ANY idea what you're talking about AT ALL?

>>55674964
I take it you're using a phone or on os x. Typing 'micro' is still quicker provided you have a typing speed of 50 WPM or above. Nobody calls it 'µg' ever so just type it out like a normal person instead of acting like a tryhard.
>>
>>55675136
Give me an example of the kind of cracks you're talking about so I know you aren't talking out of your ass
>>
>>55675198
If you can crack the bootloader, usually they can too. But what makes you think that social engineering is such a common vector for malware? Unless you're counting 'convincing' people to use pirated apps.
>>
>>55675246
>But what makes you think that social engineering is such a common vector for malware? Unless you're counting 'convincing' people to use pirated apps.
Indeed that's part of it. People get prompted to "allow untrusted sources" all the time and not just with pirated apps. That's pretty much the prerequisite to getting infections. On the contrary I've never heard of any widespread android worm using some crazy exploit before. What makes you think that social engineering ISN'T basically the sole vector for malware?

>If you can crack the bootloader, usually they can too.
You make all these claims yet I've yet to see one citation
>>
>>55675046
>CM has no bloatware
But they include a shitton of subpar stock apps. And I still remember that whisper systems crap.
>>
Currently using a stock Redmi Note 3 Pro but planning on using custom ROMS and the like once I have a better idea of what I'm doing.
>>
>>55675298
You think unlock exploits magically only work if you happen to be the owner of the phone?

>yet to see one citation

You know that's funny, I was just about to say the same thing.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/168577/20160706/hummingbad-malware-infects-10-million-android-devices-how-to-check-if-your-smartphone-or-tablet-is-among-them.htm

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/04/active-drive-by-attacks-exploit-critical-android-bugs-care-of-hacking-team/

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/358836/top-story-massive-malware-attack-1-5-billion-smartphones-at-risk
>>
>>55675496
Why did you links to articles about hummingbad? They literally prove my point about allowing untrusted sources you fucking imbecile

>But what makes you think that social engineering is such a common vector for malware?
>You think unlock exploits magically only work if you happen to be the owner of the phone?
Is your tactic questioning back when you have no proof? This is getting fucking ridiculous. Yes I do fucking think that. You need access to the fucking phone to unlock the bootloader. Holy shit
>>
Note 3 with Knox.

Going to get a new phone and root it when I get the sheckles to.
>>
>>55675616
Calm down buddy. Your original point was that someone who had unrestricted physical access to the phone for an extended period of time could only put malware on it if you had unlocked the bootloader. My point is that if you as the owner could unlock the bootloader, then nothing would prevent the attacker from sitting down and performing the same steps you would. That's one of the first rules of computer security. If someone has unrestricted access you your hardware, you should assume it has been compromised. At any rate, as those links pointed out, many kinds of malware can be installed on a non rooted device quite quickly regardless.

The point of mentioning hummingbird is that it requires no root privileges, unlike the second link which requires no user interaction at all. And the longer android remains largely unpached, the more focus it will receive and the more these types of vulnerabilities will be actively exploited. And every time one of these events happens, it just hammers home the point once again. There is STILL no official update for most of the phones out there to patch any of these exploits. And there never will be.
>>
>>55675839
>Your original point was that someone who had unrestricted physical access to the phone for an extended period of time could only put malware on it if you had unlocked the bootloader
Are you just making shit up as you go now? My original point wasn't that AT ALL. You can't argue so you change the argument and then try to gaslight me. Kill yourself.
>>
>>55665512
>Why haven't you upgraded to a more secure, private, organized and faster OS?

This is no longer the case anon, most manufactures have gotten their shit together (including Samsung) and most of the stock ROMs offer high performance and customisation.

Also a lot of the folks that worked on custom roms now work for this companies, rendering custom roms almost pointless.
>>
>>55675875
>Any old joe can pick up your phone, do a bit of googling and have the phone belong to them in an hour.

Yes, a proper bootloader unlock often takes longer than an hour. But since an unpatched phone can usually be infected pretty quickly either way, it doesn't matter a lot to this conversation.
>>
>>55671901
>S3
I'm a bit late to the party, but there's a 2015 November snapshot for it that is relatively stable.

I'm about to test the CM13 nightlies on my i9300.
>>
>>55665842
Not him but AppOpsXposed. XPrivacy is better if you know how to use it correctly, but AOX works wonders.

As for the question, I'm on a Nexus 5 since launch. Running stock everything with Xposed and I push five hour screen times casually.
>>
>>55675894
The core models do have better support terms, but most of them are not as long as the google operated phones, or as long as many people like to use them. I agree that if you still have access to timely updates on your model, there's not much point in switching to a custom mod from a security perspective.
>>
>>55675931
>Yes, a proper bootloader unlock often takes longer than an hour.
>t. never owned anything other than a samsung
He isn't unlocking the bootloader. The bootloader was already unlocked which was my entire point you fucking twat. Did you read nothing of what I said? Holy fuck your retardation is genuinely pissing me off.
>>
What would be the best ROM for Galaxy Note 4? I want to install a Debian chroot on it with full permissions.
>>
>>55675990
Ok you misunderstood my sentence structure there. I was trying to anticipate your next point. And when you reach the point that you're arguing semantics it becomes glaringly obvious that something in the conversation has gone horribly wrong. I'm honestly not trying to piss you off dude (well I may have been goaded on there a little).

What I meant is that someone who had access to a phone for a period of time could put malware on it whether the bootloader was locked or not. If the attacker happened to have the phone for a about an hour, sure there is less they could do if than if they didn't have a previously established boot unlock. If they had it for longer, say overnight, then for a determined hacker it wouldn't matter if you had unlocked it first. But again, in practical terms, for the out-of-date phones we're referring to, any number of apps could be sideloaded without any kind of administrative privileges required. A phone with a locked bootloader is not inherently safe from local attacks, and an outdated phone is often at increased risk from nonlocal attacks, which are becoming more of a threat as time passes. So I believe the case can be made for installing a custom rom in CERTAIN situations. How about we agree to disagree?
>>
>>55676319
Is it a snapdragon or a exynos?
>>
Got a shitty phone and haven't found anyone who's written a mod for it yet :'(
>>
>>55676443
Model?
>>
>>55676457
Vodafone Smart 4 Turbo
>>
Stock but themed touchwiz with google now launcher is fine for me.
>>
>>55676433
SM-N910T
>>
>>55676378
>you're arguing semantics
What arguing semantics? How about you stop making shit up?

>What I meant is that someone who had access to a phone for a period of time could put malware on it whether the bootloader was locked or not
You're STILL trying with this? This has fuck all to do with anything. I think you're just pretending to be retarded in an attempt to win an internet argument and you understand perfectly well nothing in this conversation was ever REMOTELY about any "attacker" having physical access to a phone let alone having anything to do with a locked/unlocked bootloader, which is what you're currently trying to spin it as. Everything you post is having less and less to do with any of what I said.
>>
>>55676610
holy shit that was impressive.
janitors been doing some work recently.
>>
File: 1411886229229.jpg (697KB, 806x623px) Image search: [Google]
1411886229229.jpg
697KB, 806x623px
>>55669081
I just got an HTC One M9 from amazon, unlocked, and I am not a big fan of HTC sense and want to root a custom ROM.
Is there an AOSP for the M9?
This is coming from the death of my nexus 5, where I already replaced the screen once ; (

pic related: Cell phone Carriers vs Google on updates.
>>
File: 1466867302278.jpg (75KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
1466867302278.jpg
75KB, 630x420px
>>55676657
I deleted it because I posted it in the wrong thread buddy.

Keep up the bootlicking tho
>>
>>55676581

Listen dude, I think that anyone who read our whole conversation would see where I'm coming from, even if they don't agree. Not that anyone is ever going to bother. I'm not trying to be antagonistic, and more importantly I'm done. I hope you have a chill night and that you have good phone karma in the future. But I've been up way to long, and spent way too much time answering peoples questions to keep this up. Have a good night (really)
>>
>>55676716
Okay now fuck off halfwit.
>>
Because I still have a couple of months left on warranty on my Moto X Style.

And I spoilt my spare rooted Nexus 4's digitizer.
>>
>>55676570
Custom Recovery:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-tmobile/general/easy-steps-stock-odin-n910tuvu1anih-cf-t2903733#post55989825

Cyanogenmod:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/snapdragon-dev/unofficial-cm13-0-910f-g-t3280529

Other roms:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/snapdragon-dev
>>
currently running Carbon on SGS3 wih Xposed/Xprivacy to keep me hopefully safe.
>>
>>55676880
The CM13 on that forum post says it's for F and G models. Are you sure this will work for T? I'm not using T-Mobile's service though, I'm using Ting.
>>
>>55676483
Yeah, sorry. Everything for that phone seems to be from obscure sites. And in Spanish...
>>
>>55676443
get a moto g $30 off ebay
hell even nexus 4 are $50
>>
>>55665607
I've had the opposite experience. Got an LG G3 back in January and immediately installed the release version of CM12.1, queue several months of heating issues, slowdowns and crashes. Recently said fuck it and install CM13 a few days ago despite only nightlies being available and I haven't had a single issue.
>>
>>55670394
Not sure if that would work with mine. I have the SM-G925P, one in the link is different company or something I believe.
>>
>>55676977
I can't confirm it will, but they also have builds at the cyanogen site.

https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=trltetmo
>>
>>55674051
>xposed framework

It's open source. And you should be downloading open-source modules for it, instead of downloading proprietary modules.
>>
>>55677120
Yeah, the sad thing is whoever was in change of that branch hasn't been updating it recently. Hence why it's still on Lollipop.
>>
>>55665512
Got a GS4 here with t-mobile I rely on wifi calling heavily, does anyone know if cm13's wifi calling feature will work with my gs4? That's the only thing holding me back from installing a custom rom on it.
>>
>>55665512
Running CM11 nightly on a Note N7000.

I wanted a more recent version but no one gives a shit about this old phone. The only thing I can find a thread on XDA but I don't know if I want to trust that what with people talking about kernel shenanigans bricking phones.
>>
Hmm... well there's also something called 'nameless rom', that's based on stock and has some good tweaks, but it's lollipop too.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/snapdragon-dev/twrom-nameless-rom-t3123512

Looks the tmoblie is kind of in limbo. According to the thread it requires separate development for some reason, and they were never able to merge the builds like they'd planned
>>
>>55677299
Is this the thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note/development/rom-nightowl-alpha1-t3255536

It looks like a solid rom. Was this where it mentioned the bricking:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1633943

Because ICS would be like CM 9, and unless you use one of those old ass kernels it wouldn't mater.

They also have an omnirom:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note/development/rom-omnirom-marshmallow-t3372345
>>
Got an LG g3 running XOSP with a custom Kernel
>>
>>55677474
>Is this the thread:
Yup. That's where I read about the bricking, too.

I'm wary of flashing it because of the kernel thing (as far as I can tell, I'm running CM's kernel?) and I'm not sure if my recovery can flash it with no problems. (CWM 6.0.5.1)
>>
>>55667106
I have a SGS3 and I first used Cyanmod but had problems with CONSTANT reboots. It became such a nuisance that I switched over to Carbon. It has nice features and no constant reboots.
>>
what rom would one use for a slow ass chink tablet?
>>
>>55677561
But you're not installing some random dinosaur kernel, you're installing a current one, and their instructions are dead simple. Plus they don't specify which loader to use so your existing cwm should be fine. When something is dangerous on XDA, they put it in huge, red, unmissable lettering.

The rom and gapps,
1. Copy Rom + Google Apps to your sdcard.
2. Boot into recovery
3. Factory Reset + Format the /system partition
4. Flash the Rom then Gapps.
5. Reboot

It really is that simple. For someone who already has CM.
>>
>>55677891
Depends on what that tablet supports
>>
i really want a custom rom for my s7 desu
>>
I actually just flashed CM today without gapps. So far is isn't so bad, but I couldn't handle the ugly music player and gallery so I downloaded Phonograph and QuickPic from APK Mirror. I finally don't have Google's dick in my ass.
>>
>>55678109
A step in the right direction...but why Quickpic? Do you want Cheetah Mobile's dick instead?

At least get the old version..
>>
>>55678109
microG might interest you, lad. You're still gonna be able to use the Play Store, but without any proprietary Google bits on your phone. If the novelty wears off, look it up.

Oh, and get F-droid; right now.
>>
>>55678146
Don't worry, it is the old version. I forgot to mention that. I can't find another gallery app that's half as good as old QuickPic.
>>
>>55678032
I guess I'll give flashing it a go, then. I'll have a backup handy just in case though.

>>55678109
>I finally don't have Google's dick in my ass.
I wish I could say the same. I don't use the app store or any of that, but Maps is extremely useful to me since I have the sense of direction of a toddler and I don't think anything in F-droid has public transport info as detailed as GMaps. I've been looking at microG though.
>>
>>55678194
>I don't think anything in F-droid has public transport info as detailed as GMaps.
OpenStreetMap (OSMAnd for Android) for driving walking and biking
Transit App and local city apps for public transit.
>>
Is CM viable for old people?
>>
>>55678244
It's just like stock android. If they can use that, they can use CM.
As long as it's stable.
>>
>>55665512
I had a Nexus 5 with CM12 on it before. I bought an iPhone 6 and I'm really disappointed with it. I want to get a Nexus 5X or a Moto X Pure. Battery life isn't an issue because I have micro USB charging docks all over my home and office. I bought lightning adapters for the iShit so I can buy USB type C adapters as well.

Nexus 5X
>back material feels good
>notification light on the bottom
>usb type c
>headphone jack on bottom
>best community support
>looks really good

Moto X Pure
>micro sd support
>huge battery
>huge screen
>micro usb so no adapters
>great community support
>much better cameras
>customize colors online

I'm stuck /g/
>>
Samsung Note 3 with AryaMod and new DarkLord kernel

It's great, really fast. And last month I was thinking about new phone. Guess I'll wait for OP4
>>
>>55665512
Resurrection Remix R13 based on CM13, not the latest build. The latest is full of branding and the developer's logo, its no longer fun to use. Fixed some of the bugs and played around with the UI. Best one so far. Galaxy S3
>>
>>55678472
Moto X Pure. Nexus 5X is plagued by the lack of updates.
>>
Oxygen OS because they're the only people putting out stable android releases for the Chinese OP3.
>>
Official CM13 on OP2 (+ Xposed) works really well. All OxygenOS features are working.
>>
>>55674051
If you phone's on contract you're fucked.
>>
Verizon Galaxy S5 running latest Resurrection Remix here.
>>
File: 51651161515.png (444KB, 635x427px) Image search: [Google]
51651161515.png
444KB, 635x427px
I own an OnePlus X with there fucking OxygenOS...

I was thinking about flashing the new Paranoid Android 6 because of the oneplus update policy

When i bought i thought i was a good idea. It was not! Hardware is great, software is meh.

So long Story short, is Paranoid Android i good choice? Is cyanogenmod better or should i stick with oxygenOS?
>>
>>55679921
Well, nothing really stops you from trying.. If you don't like it, you could always go back.
>>
>>55679921
just try it out. The good thing about the x is that you have a good amount of support. I think it even has a sailfish rom (although with no android runtime afaik)
>>
What should I use if I want to escape the Google botnet on Xperia Z3? I've looked on xda forums but can't really make sense, what's /g/ approved?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160526-215843.png (220KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160526-215843.png
220KB, 1080x1920px
>>
>>55668895
Oh wow I've been out of the loop
>>
noob here, installed Cyanogenmod 12.1 mod on my Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo GT-I9301I and its amazing, is there any point in getting a kernel? any suggestions?
>>
TWRP + CM13 on a S4, runs like a charm.
>>
>>55665512
CM13 nightlies, there are a couple minor glitches that they refuse to fix

i wish they would put out a fucking milestone release already, they did several months ago for some of their support devices, but not for mine
>>
I'm using a S5 using clockwork recovery and running Resurrection Remix ROM. It works flawlessly and hasn't slowed down.
>>
Because i have an unknown 80€ phone that run well
>>
>>55665512
custom rom + custom kernel i baked for me own phone. git gud.
>>
Have an old hand me down SM-G900A on AT&T, and so far as I see it, looks like custom roms for this model are impossible to come by.

At this point though, warranties be damned. Anyone have any luck getting an android alternative on this phone or am I eternally cucked by AT&T?
>>
File: 1460490045513.png (1007KB, 1355x910px) Image search: [Google]
1460490045513.png
1007KB, 1355x910px
Mighty wizards, would you please reveal me the ultimate (libre) open source PDF, DjVu and ePub reader for Android based operating systems?

I hate to distract you from your godly topic. Have mercy please.

I try search results from play store, I see unusable crap filled with ads, I search github, I see crap, I grieve. Where is the paradise? Please tell me.
>>
Why do you need to "flash" OS onto a phone? Why do you need a bootloader on a phone? Why can't you just install Android like you do Linux, and log in like you do Linux?
>>
>>55687888
because the phones we subsidize from the carriers are locked down and neutered before we ever have a choice
>>
Any advice for someone trying to turn an old smartphone into an MP3 player?

>LG motion MS770
>>
>>55687888
PCs have bootloaders too. Flashing is way more simple than installation(in technical sense), but in fact the word just got carried over from EPROM flashing. In a sense, the process is the same, just not for a chip but for a partition. That's why there're different images for every model of phones but just a single "installer" for PCs.
>>
>>55688705

Cyanogenmod for MS770:

Phone info:
http://androidforums.com/threads/new-comers-welcome.745612/

Recovery:
http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-system-backup-restore-for-lg-motion-4g-root-nand.666480/

Clockworkmod instructions:
http://androidforums.com/threads/rom-v4-2-2-jb-cm11-for-the-lg-motion-ms770.870153/

Actual Clockworkmod 11 link:
http://androidforums.com/threads/critical-update-v4-2-2-for-the-lg-motion-4g-ms770.875653/
>>
>>55687589
You want the F-droid app market. Play is so full of cheap crap and ads that it's almost impossible to find what you're looking for F-droid is FOSS software that just does what it says. Go to f-droid.org on your device, download and run the APK, then you've got an alternative to Play.
>>
tell me what custom ROM works with a t mobile lg g stylo running 6.0
>>
Root/Recovery:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g-stylo/how-to/guide-lg-g-stylo-how-to-root-t-mobile-6-t3333916

Cyanogenmod 12.1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g-stylo/development/rom-cyanogenmod-12-1-lg-g-stylo-t3418561

Other Roms:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g-stylo/development

They’re still working on CM13/Marshmallow.
>>
Is it hard to put CM on an s7?

What benefits does CM provide over stock? Is it more secure? Does it make it harder for people to spy on me?
>>
>>55693555

There's less manufacturer bloat, removes little things your provider or samsung might have put in there that send various pieces of information out into the cloud. And you can remove google if that's your thing, and have better control of app permissions and tweaking of your phone. But it it doesn't make a huge difference until your phone stops getting updates which is usually around the time good custom mods start coming out for it. I'd just look into getting root and maybe xposed framework for now, you can do a lot with those.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-galaxy-s7/how-to/how-to-notes-root-install-xposed-unroot-t3411039
>>
>>55665512
Because there aren't any ROMs out yet for the HTC 10
>>
Still on CM 12.1 because Sony decided to break the cam for MM to get me to buy one oft their New devices. Fuck them i'll be going back to Samsung.
>>
>>55672269
mein neger

I'm still on 5.1.1 lollipop, this has worked for a year without any probs so haven't updated

I love sultan
>>
>>55673946
>One Plus One was Cyanogenmod OEM.
>
>It sucked.

What? Fuck you. I've been using 1+1 for over two years now, and I bought it for $299 brand new. I used AOSP/cyanogen based roms anyway earlier so this was a real treat: I don't mean the cyanogen os it had, I used it only a while and moved on to community roms, but the 1+1 was
> greatly supported by rom scene, so great roms with quick releases and fixes
> easily fixable by oneself (had to, because of shitty customer service)
> great specs given the time and price point, phone is still quick and snappy - solid performer two years later
> had a big battery with a short charge time (IIRC original charger puts out 2.3A?)

There's a few things to complain about, such as lack of one LTE band (all chinkphones miss bands), customer support is nonexistent/incompetent, early versions had yellow ghost stripes on screen, cyanogen inc leaving the partnership

but all in all, 1+1 didn't suck for enthusiastic users. It's still a great budget choice. For $299 64gb, it was an excellent handheld. I don't regret a bit getting it.

I'm gonna probably buy a nexus next, though. I want all the LTE bands.
>>
Do you not care that regardless of what you run you are being tracked everywhere you go and using an OS that is so poorly designed that people have to create apps that fucking reimplement web pages (and poorly at that) just so people can fucking use them?

>shit input method
>shit multitasking
>shit layout
>tracks you
Please, just let this fucking stupid as living shit fad die.
>>
>>55694971
How are those cocks in your ass treating you?
>>
>>55694971
Soooo... what exactly are you suggesting? That people quit using smartphones? Cause you might want to rethink what you call 'fad' and what you think humans are like.
>>
CM 13.0 with pico gapps
>>
Samsung Galaxy S3 running Oct-OS Marshmallow with the OpenGAPPS Pico package. Phone used to be maxed at 8GB of internal space but now has around 60GB thanks to adoptable storage.
>>
>>55666666
>>
>>55684417
Same except S4 mini. Damn that thing got sexy.
>>
>>55696286
Dayum I didn't know that was a thing. I might actually take the marsmallow update now. Getting tired of foldermount
>>
>>55665512
Someone recomend me a good reliable rom for a GS4 please.

Currently running stock 5.0.1.
>>
>>55673812
tried newpipe but it has nearly no features other than search and watch a clip. No YouTube Acc, faves etc.
>>
>>55696752
Here's two decked out CM13 mods for the s4:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-develop/rom-resurrection-lollipop-v5-5-5-t3195202

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-develop/rom-crdroid-t3017844

Resurrection remix tends to be pretty bitchin
>>
What xposed modules do people use? Is there anything that I should install which CM13 doesn't already have?
>>
File: botnet.png (104KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
botnet.png
104KB, 1080x1920px
>>55665512
>>
>>55670509
haha it stole 2minutes of your life. get rekt.
>>
>cm updater installs android 6
>play services no longer compatible
>can't upgrade
>crashes constantly

how to fix, installing the 6.0 gapps didn't work, something keeps crashing every few seconds.
and it takes like 3 hours to "optimize" all the apps after booting
>>
>>55697120
Using gapps kindof makes updating weird. Also it's better when switching to a whole new android version to just reflash. I would back everything up, then flash the new build and gapps from recovery
>>
>>55672269
I have been using this ROM for so long since it was based on CM12.1.

However I have noticed that the performance gets worse after sometime and the only solution is to factory reset your device. Are you facing such issues, anon?
>>
>>55696886
Muchly appreciated.
>>
Any good ROMs for the UMI super?
>>
I need to root to get custom roms right?

How can I root an S6 Edge on 6.0.1?
>>
>>55698074
Without tripping KNOX that is. Thanks
>>
>>55698101
You can't, that's the point
>>
>>55698113
But you can on 5.1.1?

Will we ever be able to obtain 6.0.1?
>>
>>55665512
CM13 on MotoG First Gen.
You don't need anything else, really, it's perfect.
>>
>>55698142
Most cracks come in time to the big models. Its a matter of having hardware that's been around a while so its generation of defenses have been defeated. Helps if you haven't taken any updates in a while. Why are you so worried about knox anyway?
>>
Perhaps this thread can help me out.
I have some rebranded smartphone (from Medion) and don't want to use stock Android. A friend of mine told me some time ago about some app that tells you some details about what custom OS can be installed and stuff like that.
Can somebody tell me the name?
>>
>>55698205
Unless you've got a pretty major model I would say that custom rom development is just way too all over the place for that to be a thing. I'd love to find out what you're referring to tho
>>
>>55698205
>>55698245
Never seen an app but I've seen a website that does something along those lines. Don't remember the name though. Something like "needrom" I think.
>>
anyone still running an old phone like a galaxy S3?
what rom should i install on this thing
>>
>>55696937

How is it? Smooth? How is the Batterie Life? Is it overall etter than Oxygen OS? Is it worth to flash?
>>
>>55698775
I think like five people mentioned modded S3's on this thread. Go forth and partake:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development
>>
How the hell do I root my SM-G925P running the latest 6.0.1 marshmallow? Tried it yesterday, was sure I did everything right and I just got stuck in a bootloop.
>>
>>55698918
This might help:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-galaxy-s6-edge/general/root-pd2-6-0-1-sprint-s6-edge-twrp-3-0-t3385846
>>
>>55699028
That actually does help. I'll have to check it out tonight when I have more time and get back to you guys in case anyone else with the same phone is thinking of doing this. Cheers
>>
Im still using my s5 with rooted kit kat and I don't feel the need to change
>>
This is perhaps a noob question...

I'm using CM 12 and I want to update to 13. I can do this straight from my phone with the CM13 release image, right? And it will not wipe what I currently have on my phone, right? Do I need to check if everything is compatible with the newer version first?
>>
stock cause no roms for me :<
>>
>>55699247
You don't need to wipe to go from CM12 to CM13, just flash the zip and everything will be kept
>>
>>55699247
You can, usually, it's just a little iffy if you use gapps. I'd make a backup beforehand so if anything funky happens you can just flash the .img and have everything back.

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Updating
>>
>>55674538
>a free-as-in-freedom
fuck off communist
>>
I use a note 3 and verizon still hasnt unlocked the boot loader. I dont even have root access. Thanks Verizon
>>
>55677231
Anyone know the answer to this? I am on the same boat as him.
>>
>>55701896
What are you so upset about?
Thread posts: 305
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.