[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dump me all of your knowledge on this thing.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 1

File: 2000px-Arduino_Logo.svg.png (109KB, 2000x1361px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Arduino_Logo.svg.png
109KB, 2000x1361px
Dump me all of your knowledge on this thing.
>>
>>55661918
Install windows
>>
it's no longer remotely relevant
>>
I like the Arduino Vs. Evil youtube challen. Other than that I have a bunch of space so I would rather just buy a $20 pentium 4 512MB shit top from a thrift store.
>>
>>55661945
I'm having some semester in robotics this week and I've realised I don't know shit about this thingy and that's why I'm asking. Even though it's 4 n00bs I want to learn as much as possible.
>>
>>55661982
You program it in C with bindings for its specific features that are laid out in its manual

That's all there is to it. Ask a more specific question if you want a more specific answer.
>>
>>55661918
https://kat.cr/ocd-pirate-s-library-arduino-books-t12170426.html
>>
>>55662013
Is it like dumbed down C? Like in that Code girl emoji thing?
Can I learn something by just using their software?Or do I need hardware as well?
Why is it used so much when you say it's no longer relevant? Better alternatives?
>>55662030
Arigatou, anon-kun
>>
>>55662059
>Is it like dumbed down C?
No, it's normal fucking C, plus bindings for arduino stuff.
>Can I learn something by just using their software?Or do I need hardware as well?
An arduino is pretty useless without at least some external hardware. At least get an LED you can hook up to it or something.
>Why is it used so much when you say it's no longer relevant?
It isn't. The people who still use it either don't know better, or learned it when it was new and popular and are too lazy to learn anything else.
>Better alternatives?
Depends on the task. But for the most part there's nothing you can do on an Arduino that you can't do on a Raspberry Pi more easily and for less money (both in the sense that you can get a $5 RPi, and in the sense that you can use cheap common peripherals instead of the Arduino's expensive bullshit "shields" for doing anything complicated)
>>
>>55662189
>using a microprocessor for microcontroller tasks
Fuck off.
>>
>>55661918
It's fine if you don't use the piss retarded arduino IDE.
>>
>>55661945
You can get chink clones for pennies, I wouldn't say it's irrelevant. Sure, building your own stuff is better, it's still nice for quick prototyping.
>>
>>55662608
I never said you had to build your own stuff, but the Arduino is *only* good for quick prototyping, and other things are even better for quick prototyping while costing less. The arduino filled the niche first, but has been entirely supplanted at this point.
>>
>>55662189
There's actually a ton of shit that you can't really use a Raspberry Pi for. I'm driving multiple simultaneous stepper motors that all have to be driven at extremely high speeds (32x microstepping) and precision, and you can't do that on a rPi without a RTOS, and at that point it's just easier to get an arduino. Accepts higher input voltage too.
>>
>>55662643
>other things are even better for quick prototyping while costing less.
I know some, but I'm curious what you are thinking of. Some examples?

>*only* good for quick prototyping
I would argue that it's so cheap that you can safely leave it permanently in your project if you are too lazy to build your own board and size is not an issue.
>>
>>55662654
>you can't do that on a rPi without a RTOS
So use an RTOS. There are multiple different ones available as simple images for the rPi.
>and at that point it's just easier to get an arduino
Not really? loading an RTOS is no harder than loading any other OS onto an rPi
>>
>>55661918
Program it in C and not with this Arduino shit "C" art student language. Use AVRdude to upload your programs with the cli. Also arduino-make is nice to have. It is missing a good debugger for Linux and OSX. So they want you to use Windows and their shitty VS modded IDE
>>
>>55662189
>raspberry pi for less money
I can get an UNO r3 clone for $2.68.
>>
>>55662674
There are plenty of cheap-ass microcontrollers you could use instead of an arduino, but the RPi Zero dominates right now for ease of use / versatility / cost in prototyping. Nobody cares that it's not technically a microcontroller. It's dirt cheap, general purpose, and works with existing standards. It makes it incredibly easy to accomplish whatever you're trying to do, and it's much better (but still bad) for leaving in a lazy project

>I would argue that it's so cheap that you can safely leave it permanently in your project if you are too lazy to build your own board and size is not an issue.
Of course you can do that, but it's not *good* for that. Dumping $35 into basic single use controlling while taking up a lot of space is not a good scenario for a finished project, it's a half-assed lazy patch because you didn't pick a better tool to start with.

>>55662753
>I can get an UNO r3 clone for $2.68
No you can't. You can find a listing for one, and then you get and find out most of the pins are NCs and the controller fries itself after you do any of a specific set of tasks.
>>
>>55662746
The IDE is called atmelStudio and you can use the avr libc for most of the stuff. Also RTFM, but you can skip a lot
>>
>>55662795
>No you can't.
Yeah, stop spreading bullshit. I bought this kit while it was still $6, it works just fine and still beats Pi zero + shipping in prize.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/new-Starter-Kit-UNO-R3-mini-Breadboard-LED-jumper-wire-button-For-Arduino-compatile-free-shipping/32248061667.html
>>
>>55662795
The RPi Zero is piss poor for anything battery based.
>>
Arduino are good enough for getting started.
The $3 one worth the price, as for expensive version ? Nope.
There's plenty other board that worth more, depends on your requirement.

As for rPi RTOS meme, you can program baremetal if you want to, but that also means you're experienced enough with ARM hardware.
Definitely not arduino level where you only need to add library and use it for your code.
But, rPi baremetal with 800MHz clock speed will definitely outperform the 24MHz arduino.
>>
>>55662823
If you need more power, STM32 boards are also dirt cheap on ali.
Not as easy to use as an Arduino though.
>>
>>55663010
There are arduino nano clones too, also dirt cheap. Also esp8266 boards, and they have wi-fi.
>>
>>55663023
Yeah, ESPs are nice.
You can even program them with Arduino.
>>
There is nothing to talk about, arduinos are the microcontrolers for noobs

Easy to learn, easy to break
Also if you use arduino, you gonna get a bad reputation between real engineers
>>
It's good for prototypes and unique/individual solutions on the more hardware related side.
RPi for things that involve more software/complicated logic.
You can also combine both when you need to.

Same goes for (chink) clones of both. With these you pay 1/5 to 1/2 for the hardware, but may have to renounce on some features and do more tinkering with already existing code made for the originals.
>>
>>55663037
>Also if you use arduino, you gonna get a bad reputation between real autists
FTFY
There is nothing wrong about using a dev board.
>>
>>55663037
>Also if you use arduino, you gonna get a bad reputation between real engineers
They're used more and more in EE and related programs.

And even Dave Jones praises them.
>>
>>55663194
>>55663155
>I have never used an Arduino
Arduino's are total garbage for any kind of real work. Slow, limiting production environment and overpriced. At least use MBed
>>
Stupid niggers, ESP8266 Master Race
>>
>>55663254
>arduino overpriced
You are supposed to buy a chink clone. How is this overpriced?
>>
OP, Arduinos are very underapreciated micro controllers especially for autists. It's a great entry way into micro controllers and up, but people overlook it's power and go straight for the Raspberry Pi. It can be severely limited depending on what you want to do, but with the proper equipment, you can get it to do bigger things such as moving a robotic arm, or reading a person's heart rate.
>>
>>55663254
What are you doing with your 8-bit MCU and why are you advising people getting 32-bit MCU?
>>
>>55662643
desu tho there really isn't anything out there with as much documentation as there is for the arduino.

>>55662795
using a whole arm-based computer for the kind of tasks you'd use a microcontroller for is kind or retarded.

op, just pick up a fairly cheap kit on amazon or something. they're worth having around, you can do a lot of stuff with them and they're dirt cheap.
>>
>>55663254
arduinos are like 3 dollars, and they're mostly just a toy for people who like electronics.
>>
For people saying

>chink arduinos are like 3 dollars
Yeah, they work out for hobbist

But if you are working on a proyect, as work, for a enterpise you CANNOT use arduino

Thays why I said arduinos have bad reputation between REAL engineers
>>
>>55663407
Here's a REAL engineer, disagreeing with you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHFm-kVTXW8

He even flat out says they're not just hobbyist devices.
>>
>>55663407
>proyect
>enterpise

How do you expect to be taken seriously when you can't even spell correctly?
>>
>>55663457
>EEVblog, youtuber
>real engineer

Chose one

I'm talking about REAL engineers

>>55663457
Im on mobile, its late, I dont want to be taken seriously, Im just saying the truth, why are you so defensive? Arduino iant that cool, is a cool toy for teenagers who wants to """""learn"""""" electronics and copypaste codes.
>>
>>55663457
I should add:
Yes, if you work for a very large company, you do run into bullshit like having the devs working a month more optimizing instead of just springing for a chip with more memory that costs a fraction of a cent more.
Arduino is obviously a bad fit there.

But why would you do this crap to yourself?
>>
>>55663533
>defensive
Nah, it was just funny to see something like "proyect" in a post about enterprise. Anyway, arduinos are nothing more than a microcontroller, serial to usb converter and a voltage regulator on a single board. Nothing is preventing you from using it like a normal atmel MCU. Although I wouldn't like to see these kinds of boards in commercial products.
>>
>>55663574
This, also, I believe you cannot use arduino for comercial products, at the end, they are open source am i right?
>>
>>55663601
>open source means you cannot use it for commercially
Umm, no?
>>
>>55662059
normal C, compile it using avr-gcc
>>
>>55663601
AFAIK, the software is LGPL, the board files are CC-SA.

There's nothing stopping you from just plugging an Arduino board into your proprietary hardware.
>>
>>55663601
I don't think so. The main selling point of the arduino boards is the bootloader.

It is a small program which executes commands(arduino "sketches") from the memory of the MCU and makes it possible to write data to the flash memory over serial. So considering the bootloader's license is LGPL you must release the source only if you modify the bootloader if I'm not mistaken.

Also you must also make the board design public if you derive it from any of the arduino board designs but I don't think anyone would do that considering you don't need more than an MCU, 2 capacitors and an oscillator to build an arduino.
>>
>>55663679
And you don't even have to include that bootloader in your release. Nothing stops you from programming that atmega directly.
>>
So why are people so autistically against Arduino?
Is it just because the Arudino brand is expensive in order to pay the development costs?
>>
>>55663033
>>55663023
ESPs are pretty boss. I use the dev board variants just because of what external bits need to be hooked onto the ESP to program it and shit and they're roughly the same price.

Only real gripe with them is their tendency to shit themselves and get stuck in a WDT reset loop if they don't like their power source or your code length or whatever but that's not super often.
>>
>>55664590
Probably because the hipster maker crowd are using it so much.
>>
Time to hijack thread. Hope you don't mind, OP.

I've decided to start on the SBC with something they aren't intended for. I want to run an induction heater entirely 100% off a SBC.
As I understand, an induction heater is just control circuitry which is usually either a lot of analog shit or very simple PICs or maybe TIs. the bridge and the capacitor-inductor bank. Now I want to replace the control circuitry with these meme boards and make the thing remotely controllable via bluetooth and ethernet.
So it basically needs to do a few things.
It needs to see the power going through the capacitor bank and the voltage, this can be done using a transformer or maybe a hall-effect sensor.
It needs to sense temperature and control fans and also sense current at the mains input to stop the transistors from popping due to overheat/overcurrent.
It needs to constantly adjust the signal output to match the resonant frequency of the tank as shit is put in and taken out of it.
And finally, it needs to actually output the signal that gets fed into the gates of the main switches, probably amplified by a totem pole or something.
So, is it possible to take [insert SBC here] and turn it into a "dumb" microcontroller and just manually assign every core its specific duty?
For example, one takes the duty of calculating the new frequency that should come out of the pin, another core actually toggles the pin with the information it gets from core 1, core 3 feeds core 1 live information so it can calculate it and core 4 takes care of any manual changes made through the control panel which is operated via either a touch screen, bluetooth, or via a network?
>>
>>55664796
(cont)

The idea behind this is that I think the only reason "bigger" SBCs aren't used for this duty is because they can't produce a stable-enough signal that won't pop the transistors because the operating system is always getting in the way.
What do you think, anons? Am I retarded? Should I just use something that would be classified as a "microcontroller" and if I should, can you link me any boards that have sufficient capabilities? Bonus points if available on Farnell or RS Electronics.
Has anyone done something similar to this before?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.