[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, I hope I am not opening a can of worms by asking this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (36KB, 770x577px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
36KB, 770x577px
Hello, I hope I am not opening a can of worms by asking this but here we go.

I am considering getting the Razer Blade 2016 as a all in one laptop for gaming, programming, and general work (the laptop has more than adequate internals in addition to not being a massive behemoth (15" or greater screen and a relatively thin profile overall). I a feel as though its overpriced but I am looking to be proven wrong. I know there is a large fan-base for razer products but are the laptops they sell really worth all that cash, or should I take the hit and just get a similarly spec'd and slightly less powerful laptop at a cheaper price. I have seen the occasional review detailing how bad they are from misc websites, but really haven't run across any consistent problems with the overall build quality of their flagship line laptop. (with the exception of the Razer Blade Stealth model, this was my original choice and if anyone has any input on it, it would be appreciated as well, I feel as though the 8gb of ram is a little light though given the rate that memory gets eaten by everything nowadays)

TL : DR Should I get a Razer Blade 2016 and expect it to cover the full gamut of mobile computing needs from Games, to Programming, to Editing, etc etc.

(inb4 just build a rig)
>>
File: Vomit.jpg (55KB, 569x579px) Image search: [Google]
Vomit.jpg
55KB, 569x579px
>>55660451
>>
used thinkpad le install gentoo XDXDXD
>>
Dude just get a cheap 200-400 laptop for work and programming. Use the rest of your money for a desktop. Why do people even buy gaming laptops?
>>
>>55660483

well this is off to a good start. I am not sure if that is meant as an art critic or as someone who cant control themselves from having too good a time.
>>
>>55660497

Have a desktop, laptop is primarily for travel. Gaming is secondary to a need for a decent screen for photo / video editing honestly.
>>
Well, get real, you'll never be more than 4 hours away from an outlet and only major league autists think games have to be maxed out in all cases.

Enjoy your video games on medium settings.
>>
>>55660497
so they can play casual games like dota that your thinkpad's intel GPU is too shitty to run

/g/ hates this because they're too poor for gaming laptops after spending all their money on custom rigs built solely to run crysis on ultra max anime settings
>>
>>55660637

This honestly, having not reached full NEET status I still having to leave home. Sometimes for weeks at a time and would like something that does all the things while I cant lug my rig around. ( Bonus points for it not being 1-2/3 the size of my rig (hence the need)
>>
File: 12.jpg (557KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
557KB, 2048x1536px
I use this for gaming, however the only graphics heavy game I really play is Battlefield.
Also the occasional photo shop and I do some SQL management and sift through code regularly on it.

My advise after having it for a year is, no. Stay away from this pile of crap. My switchblade UI is barely hanging on and the driver support from Razer is non existent.
The switchblade UI itself is very glitchy in itself as well. My hot buttons above the trackpad went to shit about a month ago.
I am looking at a HP Omen or MSI next week to get rid of this crap.
>>
>>55660637
>too poor
>custom rigs built solely to run crysis on ultra max
>>
File: 1462368208511.png (10KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1462368208511.png
10KB, 429x410px
>>55660733
Well that's shitty, you are number three to mention shitty driver support giving me enough justification to be "cheap" and move onto looking for something else. Thank you.

I see lenovo get thrown around alot on this board, is that just a local meme or is there any validity to them? What makes you think that a MSI or HP would be the better choice in terms of staying at or improving your current situation?
>>
>>55660856
I think he's implying you spent all your rubles on one toy.
>>
what about the surface book with the dedicated gpu option? good for hand written notes, full os, decent gaymin performance for casual shit, quality build and good screen
>>
>>55660888
The HP Omen because I still need the thin form factor to carry it around with me.
I previously had a Lenovo Y50 and that never failed me but it was too bulky for my bag.
Totally forgot about Lenovo actually, gonna consider their new stuff and see what I ultimately end up with.
>>
>>55660888
>I see lenovo get thrown around alot on this board, is that just a local meme or is there any validity to them?
There's a lot of validity to them, but remember you get what you pay for. There's also the whole superfish deal, but supposedly that is done and over with and I haven't heard shit about it for a long time, so I won't touch on that.

Lenovo's consumer lineup is about as average as it gets. They're fine machines, decent build quality and specs, nothing that really sets them apart from the competition that coincidentally tends to be just as average.

Meanwhile, their business lineup is built to a higher standard, and trades raw horsepower for reliability, better build quality, and business oriented hardware (eg. Quadro GPUs, Xeon CPUs in certain models, stuff that is verified to just werk(TM) in production environments). That's not to say that you can't get a very powerful Thinkpad, of course, but you pay a hefty premium here. Unless you're buying retired corporate surplus hardware, but that is a different story.

What I'd recommend you do if you insist on playing your video games on a laptop is to get an external GPU solution going with a laptop that's fast enough to do what you need it to on the go on its own, then you can save your graphically intensive games for when you're at home and you get the ability to upgrade your eGPU as needed. It might be expensive to get started on this, but it is by far the best solution.
>>
>>55661102

What are your thoughts on the Lenovo Yoga 900?
The screen is right at (just a touch smaller then) what I want and has decent specs right up until the graphics.
>>
>>55661077

I have heard that the surface books run into issues with the CPU getting bogged down for relatively high intensity tasks.
>>
>>55661077
Heard it has a lot of crippling issues, namely with the hinge and screen wobble causing BSODs because the dock can get disconnected from this.

>>55661245
No personal experience with it, but it looks like a rather flimsy overdesigned hinge, and I've heard some shit about the previous consumer Yogas being flimsy as well, so if that's any indication...
I'd recommend you look into the X1 Yoga instead if you want a Yoga. Bit more expensive, but probably less likely to break on you.
>>
>>55661338
Know anything about the "cybertronpc-clx-osiris-14"? Has similar specs to the razer but for far cheaper. Never heard of the brand though.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (25KB, 527x199px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
25KB, 527x199px
>>55660637
Runs dota at 1920 x 1080 fine
>>
>>55661459
No clue, first time I ever hear about that brand as well.
Apparently it's a decent machine, but shitty battery life: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/cybertronpc-clx-osiris-14
>>
>>55661500
Always aftermarket batteries (maybe?), need to find more out about the company however. Still looking at the X1 and its pretty high up on the consideration list.
>>
>>55660497
I used to work in a dispatch center that allowed laptops, 12 hour shifts. I played games, so I needed a gaming a laptop and spent a lot of money on one. Still say best entertainment investment ever made 3 years later.

I have a gaming desktop at home as well.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.