[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IP Camera Network Hardware/Setup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: diagram_ip_system.jpg (41KB, 580x600px) Image search: [Google]
diagram_ip_system.jpg
41KB, 580x600px
Hey /g/,
I want to set up a home ip security camera network with a decent poe switch that will allow me room to expand, but not break the bank, a server to store the video on, and a system to do compression and possibly motion detection. I'm completely new to this and have been doing some research but can't seem to find anything about how much processing power I'll need for the compression and such as well as general hardware setups. Does anyone know of a good, comprehensive guide for this kind of thing or have any tips on what hardware to get (or maybe just tell me what you have to give me some ideas)?
>>
And to add to this, what kind of DVR software should I use? I've found iSpy. Is there comparable or better software out there, or is this recommend?
>>
I have 4 DLink dcs 5000L cameras and a 4TB NAS for recording storage. The DLink stuff is easy to set up, has motion detection, sends you emails with pictures, live video and audio blah blahh blah.
>>
>>55655183
>decent poe switch
Used Cisco switch with PoE support. You can get a 48 port 100 megabit PoE switch from Ebay for 50 dollars.
>how much processing power I'll need for the compression
Cameras should handle this for the most part. Get used AXIS security cameras off Ebay, their processors have hardware x264 encoding and they let you set the quality as shitty as you want.
>>
>>55655300
I'm concerned about going wireless for security and reliability issues. Do you have any kind of video compression software or do the DLink cameras compress the video automatically?

>>55655369
I've always been a little leery about buying second hand electronics, but if you can get a switch for that cheap then I'd probably be willing to try that..
As for the quality, I actually want decent quality (I've had issues with my car being vandalized so I'd definitely want to make sure I get as clear video as I can get). I was thinking something like having the full, uncompressed video stored for a day or two (in which time I'd find any major issues and be able to check the video), then compressed for longer term storage.
>>
>>55655464
You can go wired with them. There are compression options too. I've configured mine to store a jpg every other second. The quality is good and it takes virtually no space.
>>
>>55655183
If you have a PoE switch why have you included what appears to be injectors?
>>
>>55655847
It's just a generic picture I found, I wouldn't set it up that way. Like you pointed out, I plan to get a PoE switch
>>
>>55655909
Ah I see, thought you drew it.
>>
get a poe switch from ebay, build a beefy machine with plenty of storage and then run blue iris

that is all you need to know
>>
Your pc is not powered.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.