[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /g/entoomen, post unpopular opinions about technology here.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1465755459335.png (559KB, 500x527px) Image search: [Google]
1465755459335.png
559KB, 500x527px
Hey, /g/entoomen, post unpopular opinions about technology here. I'll start...
> GNU/Linux and BSD should just get along. They share the same common goal.
> NVidia isn't that bad.
> Manjaro is too comfy to not use.
> Arch is too much of a pain to maintain for the average user.
> Mac isn't that bad for video editing.
> Chromium is a good browser.
>>
There's nothing wrong with women in tech as long as they're competent and were hired for their skills and not simply for being a woman.
>>
>>55643992
Is there a Linux/BSD war that I'm not aware of? I've never seen people argue about this. I do live under a rock though
>>
>>55644045
Some BSD users or Linux users like to get at each others throat for using Linux or BSD. Most of the time it's the BSD fanboys that start the flame wars.
>>
>>55643992
>>55644045
Not really a war. There is a philosophical divergence though. GNU/Linux are true freetards (most of which are autistic and have no prior coding experience) and force people to use GPLv3 so their code can never be improved by non-GPL abiding devs. It isn't even really compatible with GPLv2. Meanwhile, however, the BSD model never gets improved on either because corporations just rip their code off anyway rather than implementing changes to the code itself. Most BSDtards are more interested in the unix philosophy of designing many simple programs to complete more complex tasks, but their coreutils still end up being far inferior to GNU's tools (which are significantly more futureproof and faster).

I agree that Mac OS X is a good video editing platform. FCP devs have done pretty well optimizing the workflow. I can't wait until Linux to replace it though.
>>
>>55644108
OP here, I'm a GNU/Linux user, but I hate the GPL v3. The v2 is much better. I use proprietary software sometimes, as well. I don't see a point in freetarding. There are some things that proprietary software has that libre software just doesn't have yet. If you want to replace Mac somewhat, you could use Kdenlive, but on most other desktops then Kde it'll be a buggy piece of shit.
>>
>>55644177
Could you give us a short summary of GPLv2 vs v3? I'm a proto-freetard and could use some education
>>
>>55644234
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41460/what-are-the-differences-between-gpl-v2-and-gpl-v3-licenses Check this out, it can explain it better then I could.
>>
>>55644090
clearly you've never been to BSD threads or even mailing lists that always get invaded by freetards
>>
>>55644324
I haven't actually. I see them in already cancerous freetard threads a decent bit.
>>
>>55644177
I like Pitivi, desu, but I don't get too far into video editing in Linux besides some Blender.

>>55644234
It's mostly a "modern update" to GPLv2, but it strengthens it's legal standings (it has a reprecussions section), prevents DRM restrictions on GPL code, etc. The big issue is that certain hardware cannot use the GPLv3 if it doesn't specifically abide by DRM and patent restrictions as detailed. I personally haven't ever licensed any software with any GPL, so I'm not sure what those restrictions are.
>>
>>55644022
I can agree with this.
>>
>>55644324
Here we go
>>
>Mac isn't that bad for video editing.

unless you really want to use final cut, it's really not that good for video editing either. Premiere and Avid work much better under windows. Vegas only works on windows.

I don't know what they use at big fancy movie studios, but I guarantee the software I listed there is responsible for a large proportion of edited video content in the world.

Now when it comes to being a software developer, OS X comes into a league of its own.
>>
>>55643992
> GNU/Linux and BSD should just get along. They share the same common goal.
the fuck are you talking about
> NVidia isn't that bad.
the products are superior, the company are cunts
> Manjaro is too comfy to not use.
> Arch is too much of a pain to maintain for the average user.
Don't use either. I think the DE is far more important to the end user than what package manager the OS comes with or whether or not its rolling release
> Mac isn't that bad for video editing.
Literally no reason to use it if you're going to use Adobe products
> Chromium is a good browser.
It's not like we have much choice
>>
>>55644022
i don't think anybody actually disagrees with this.
>>
>>55647031
There are edgelords and people who don't know how the world works, that do disagree with that statement. A very small minority, to be sure.

And that's why we have feminazis telling us that all men are sexist.
>>
>>55644022
But diversity quotas Anon.
>>
>>55647031
If that was the chase it wouldn't be such a huge political topic non-stop.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.