[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I AM FUCKING DONE WITH DELL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: images-4.jpg (2KB, 121x121px) Image search: [Google]
images-4.jpg
2KB, 121x121px
I'm done with this fucking company.

>have $1000 Dell ultrabook for 2 years (just out of warranty)
>all of a sudden it starts randomly shutting down with no warning
>ok, probably overheating. Download coretemp and realtemp. temps max out in the 50's and 60's. not overheating.
>I KNOW it's a hardware issue because the problem sometimes happens before it even starts loading Windows.
>Battery? No, because it happens even when I'm running on A/C power. I buy a battery anyway just to see and the fucking machine refuses to boot or even get into BIOS because it's a third party component. $50 wasted.
>call Dell and explain my issue, the person says they will do a full scan of the computer and remove malware if I pay them $200.
>WHAT THE FUCK that wouldn't do a single thing
>take the computer to a local repair shop, the people say it's an issue with the heatsink and that it needs to be replaced.
>they say it's overheating even though realtemp doesn't show high temps
>I give it to them anyway, they replace the heatsink with $200 repair fee of parts + labor
>I get the laptop back and the problem STILL ISN'T FUCKING FIXED
>can't get a refund from the repair place

Why does tech support with these companies have to be such utter shit? At least with Apple they'd actually fix my fucking computer and not have me waste hundreds of dollars for nothing.

I'm now shopping for macs. Fuck prebuilt PC's. I can build my own desktops but won't go near another prebuilt Windows laptop in my life.
>>
>>55640502
why cant you fix your own PC, what is wrong with you
>>
>>55640502
It's working as intended and here's your ban for saying otherwise.
Thanks for choosing Apple!
>>
2016, still buys a Dell you cucked yourself m8
>>
>>55640521

It's one of those slim ~2lb ultrabooks, what would I fucking do? The way you fix something like this is to swap out parts to isolate the part that's causing the issue, but I can't do that because I don't have access to a warehouse of parts that are custom tailored to this machine.

Apple would at least fix the damn thing and not give me my machine back when it was still broken, charging me money while they're at it.
>>
>>55640502
jesus christ anon you're the most retarded poster on /g/ i've seen all day

just fall for the chinkpad meme and install gentoo
>>
>>55640570

care to explain why it's my fault? I mean yeah it's my fault for choosing Dell, I totally fucking agree. If I knew shit like this would happen 2 years ago when I bought it I would have stayed the fuck away.
>>
>>55640570

Also Linux has shit battery life even on thinkpads and I need Windows or OSX to run autocad for my engineering classes.

Fuck Dell fuck dell fuck dell. They wasted me so much money.
>>
>>55640554
Apple would "fix" it, by fucking throwing the mobo in the fucking bin and giving you a installing a new one.
>>
>>55640502
You should've bought a reliable laptop like a MacBook Pro fåm
>>
>>55641202
Should have replaced it entirely whole it was still under warranty.
>>
>>55640502
>buying a laptop that isn't a thinkpad

You deserve it.
>>
File: louis.jpg (58KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
louis.jpg
58KB, 1280x720px
>>55640554
>implying you can't fix it at a componet level
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 698x698px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 698x698px
>>55640502
>insert smug planned obsolescence meme
>>
>>55640554
all you need is a torx set, which you should have if you're posting here
>>
Did you try memory testers? Launched from the bios?
>>
>>55640502
you'd spend out the ass on repair with Apple though, see >>55641116
apple doesn't make their shit reparable anymore (like, at least pre-2006 Apple, maybe more recently than that, made relatively reparable machines -- even if they did retarded shit like require the entire machine to be completely and utterly disassembled to reach the hard drive bay)

but yeah, going Dell is a bad idea these days
used to buy from them religiously for laptops until 2009, until two entirely different machines had the same retarded power supply issues
and then family friends with Dell machines would come and moan to me to help them why their machines weren't charging (same issue)
so, fuck 'em

only manufacturer I've had more trouble with is Acer (one wholly dead machine, clickpad stopped clicking, power supply AND charge port failed, HDD failed (not their fault, but fucking everything started failing within the span of a few months), and another one held together with tape)
>>
>>55641724

The issue is not disassembling the machine, which I've done on this laptop and others. It's swapping out parts to determine which one is failing. It's hard to know 100% if it's the mobo without swapping with a known working one. There isn't always a software diagnostic to test for every possible hardware issue.

I doubt it's the memory because wouldn't failing ram at least give a blue screen? I have lots of memory failures over the years and every time its given a BSOD. My machine just goes blank suddenly (power cuts off). Happens sometimes before the OS even loads. At this point I believe it's the mobo but I'm not gonna drop another few hundred bucks to find out.

I've had a similar issue before with a desktop machine and I fixed it by replacing the mobo. Debugging laptops is a bitch though so I'd rather have someone else do it.
>>
>>55640554
>He brought a laptop he knew he wasn't capable of repairing
You deserve this desu. I gonna support dell in the future just because they taught you this lesson.
>>
>>55642551

Repairing when you actually have working parts on hand is a million times easier when you have nothing and are just shooting in the dark.

Repair services exist for a reason: to repair shit. I have better things to do then spend time fixing some shitty laptop. I'm an engineering student ffs not some tech monkey.
>>
>>55642618
Wow, I'm a med student and I still manage to repair and maintain all of my shit. Maybe you're just lazy or retarded?
>>
File: students_with_macbook.jpg (169KB, 800x510px) Image search: [Google]
students_with_macbook.jpg
169KB, 800x510px
>>55640502

it's time for you to join the revolution.

seriously every student or working person has a macbook, they're essential. The amount of friends and colleagues that have lost their shit due to shitty windows failures is dizzying
>>
I've had about 5 Dells in the last decade or so (if you count my Alienware laptop I use atm) and the only consistent problem I've found is the keyboards on their laptops eventually stop working.
>>
my problem with macbooks is that they are heinously expensive
>>
I'll bite.

I currently own a Dell XPS 17" L702X from 2012. When Win10 came out Dell said fuck it and didn't support my laptop in the new O.S( device not tested or some shit).

Some drivers like touchpad and audio suck now because of it. Overheating problems here, blue-screened on me twice and shut down without warning so thing's aren't exactly peachy either. Thinking of getting a Surface pro(really the Asus Transformer 3 when it is released).
>>
tfw company i work for is being bought by dell
don't want a shit-stain on my resume
a-at least i got 25% off my shiny new monitor
>>
>>55643121

yeah if you wan't to get a brand new one from the shop, you can keep a 2012/2013 one for 200-400 dollars and they're just as good as the new ones.

you buy one and it's for years, and you know if anythings wrong with it you can get it fixed easily.

i used to have a acer laptop and it broke and i was fucked, the hardware/software are from a million different places and the store was so unhelpful
>>
>>55640502
Apple shill gone wild
>>
>>55640502
>Fuck prebuilt PC's.
>I'm now shopping for macs.

But, anon, a mac is a pre built personal computer with a Mac OS. If you haven't been watching Louis Rossman, apple has very shady tactics when it comes to hardware failing. Sensors can go bad causing the computer to throttle the CPU as much as possible when nothing is actually wrong. They would then charge you $750 to replace the motherboard if you are out of warranty. Avoid this company and their dirty business practices at all costs.
>>
File: _250.jpg (12KB, 250x260px) Image search: [Google]
_250.jpg
12KB, 250x260px
>>55640502
>He bought a 2010+ Dell

Look at him. Look at him and laugh.
>>
>>55640502

Sounds like you're a fucking moron.

>I KNOW THAT WON'T FIX IT
>BOUGHT IT ANYWAY

>I KNOW HEAT IS NOT THE ISSUE
>SPENT $200 TO HAVE IT FIXED ANYWAY

Why don't you stop blaming other people for your incompetence? If you even had a suspicion the heatsink was making improper contact you could have taken it apart by yourself and checked.

You're a fool.
>>
>>55642618
Management student here. I've built and rebuilt my laptops and desktops. Engineering students now CONFIRMED for useless cucks. You should've gone for a CS degree chewbehonest familia
>>
>>55640502
You payed a shitty repair shop $200 instead of the company that owns the product, then whine when it's not fixed?
>>
>>55640554
Dell would fix it too. But you chose a 3rd party repair store.
>>
$200 to replace a heat sink. I've really got to get in to computer repair.
>>
>>55640502
Man you're going to be a lot happier when your Mac shits the bed too and all this subtle shilling only works on dipshits that think macs hardware is invincible.
>>
Just get a fucking MacBook you shill.

>le macbook is overpriced meme xd

MacBook Pro's outperform Dell XPS's of similar price. Not to mention the MBP's superior build quality and superior OS.
>>
Dell is complete shit, I have an XPS laptop that completely shuts down if the GPU works too hard (and by hard I mean running simple HD movies), I had to go into the bios and under volt which slightly fixes the problem, just can't run anything too intensive on it

Never ever buy Dell
>>
>>55640502
>I'm done with this fucking company.
welcome to 1998.
>>
Why dell dont let me update intel GPU driver from intel website?
this thing disturb me the most only their shit obsolete driver available in support page
>>
>>55640502
The XPS was a dud.
>>
>>55640502

It's RAM Anon
>>
>get the xps 13 a month after launch
>win8.1, later upgrade to win10
>werks, but feels like shit
>install debian with tlp
>8-10h battery easily
>smooth as fuck, literally no problems

The only reason I go back to hackintosh/windows is when I need a specific software, but that doesn't happen to often anymore.

>MacBook Pro's outperform Dell XPS's of similar price
Compare the MBP to a GPU laptop, not an ultrabook with integrated graphics. Comparing it to a MBA makes more sense. Ultrabooks are made to be light and have a long battery life, not for portable editing.

>Not to mention the MBP's superior build quality
Please do some research before you post.

>superior OS
Subjective & depends in which area you are working in.
>>
>>55640502
If you power it down then power it on it with Fn+Power, does it come up with any error messages? Do the 30m memory test too.
Would recommend Windows reinstall/driver/BIOS updates to rule those out.
>>
>>55640502
The APLLE MACBOOK Pro with retina display
Does not have this problem.
>>
>>55640502
Where do you live OP? You can state your Consumer Rights and they need to fix it by law, if You're in the U.K, not sure in some parts of Europe.
>>
>>55640502
do a memtest
>>
>>55640502
You should have harangued Dell for a while longer, asked to speak to someone else, or gone on twitter with your issue. Whoever you talked to was a dumbass.
>>
>>55646766

This.

Dell will literally suck your dick if you complain hard enough.

Friend turned a $1600 XPS into a $6000(AUD) Alienware by continually bitching about minor things.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.