[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TINFOIL THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: Ingress_logo_512px.png (24KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Ingress_logo_512px.png
24KB, 512x512px
So, since Pokémon GO doesn't work on my phone (LG E460 with Android 4.1.2), I thought about trying Ingress, and see if it's an enjoyable game or not. But I've seen that, other than the obvious ones (position), it asked me for a lot of other authorizations. How much data and what kind of data am I giving to Niantic and Google, or someone else? Also, your opinion on the game, unless that would be too /v/ for here.
>>
>>55639351
I love this game. Been playing for 3 years. What permissions is it asking for that you're skeptical about OP?
>>
>>55639418
Contacts and accounts. Especially contacts. Those are the biggest ones. But I'm curious about how does it works, in general.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160719-003203.png (86KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160719-003203.png
86KB, 1440x2560px
These are the permission it asks for

The game doesn't work when contacts is off. I tried
>>
>>55639529
>>55639605
I can tell you that it will access contacts and see if any of them have any email addresses associated with them. If they are, they will populate in the "RECRUIT" tab in Ops, allowing you to easily send invites to them (the game isn't invite-only anymore, but you still get bonuses if you invite them before they register).

Accounts I think is needed only because you have to sign up with a Google account and a Google account only.

Storage I'm pretty sure is only used when you upload portal photos.

Generally speaking the entire game will spy on you anyway because of the location stuffs. Supposedly back when Niantic was still owned by Google, they used some of the data to plot walking routes and stuff not normally reachable by cars, but this is just speculation.

The game does a few things in the background when you start it up but as far as I know it's just a handshake with the server, since Niantic can actually modify lots of settings server-side like the amount of defense shields give, how much damage things do, etc.

I wouldn't be super worried about the game as long as you enjoy playing it.
>>
>>55639651
>>55639605
Ok, thanks guys. I managed to block access to the contacts anyway through another app, I will try the game for a while then.
>>
>>55640386
Don't get discouraged by being a low level at first. Your weapons won't do much damage against anything generally higher level than you until you get to around L4-L5. Reach out in comms to people around you and have them clear stuff up so you can build. That's pretty much how the early game plays out.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.