[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FreeBSD - The one true server, embedded, and desktop OS.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 15

File: 400px-Freebsd_logo.svg.png (25KB, 400x160px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Freebsd_logo.svg.png
25KB, 400x160px
>BU BU BU BU BUT BSD ISN'T AS EASY TO SET UP AS GNU/LINUX!
FreeBSD is easy to set up, and has the best documentation of any software project on the Internet. Full stop.

>BU BU BU BU BUT MUH DRIVERS
FreeBSD has millions of device drivers due to having a full featured development suite and source code available upon installation, ready for modification.

>BU BU BU BU BUT MOOOM, MUH GAYYYYUMZ
FreeBSD comes with a number of optional games to install, and more games are being ported every day.

FreeBSD is the most stable OS in the world, when properly configured, and has major contributions to the source code from skilled developers working at companies like Netflix, and NGINX.
>>
>>55639179
It doesn't have a graphical installer like most of the linux distros
>>
>>55639179
>desktop OS
Ebin. Come back when you can print and scan things like normal people, NEET
>>
>Muh embedded
Admit it, FreeBSD are bloat.
You can't install FreeBSD on 4MB flash rom.
>>
>>55640039
yeah i dont know where the fuck he was going with embedded

server, yeah
desktop, maybe
embedded, fuck no

if you want embedded, go with netbsd, that's the entire point of that project
>>
>>55639974
ah right. that's a deal breaker for GUIcucks, isn't it?
>>
>>55640001
CUPS? GhostScript? Are you even trying?
>>
>>55639179
>easy to set up
You obviously haven't dealt with ports then...
>>
File: -2.jpg (16KB, 460x283px) Image search: [Google]
-2.jpg
16KB, 460x283px
>>55640001
>>55642655

Stop trying to troll me and TROLL ME.
>>
>>55642631
How did you post here? What OS are you using now?
>>
>>55642673
FreeBSD, of course. I never said I don't want a GUI, merely implied I don't need a GUI to install the system.
>>
>>55642656
Umm. What?

FreeBSD's ports are in the top 5 easiest ports systems to manage of any OS ever.

Seriously. Only NetBSD's comes to mind as easier.
>>
>>55642780
>easiest ports
That may be so, but any ports is anything but easy to use.

I mean, FreeBSD's ports require you to run the same command with the exact same arguments up to three-four times, and it does something different every time, despite the fact that, you know, you pass the SAME FUCKING ARGUMENTS to it.

Whoever the fuck designed that boilerplate cobblework deserves to be shot in the neck.
>>
>>55642795
that's only the shell you're using. use a real shell and you won't have to do so much
>>
>>55642801
So now it's my fault for using the default shell (as provided, by default and recommended, by FreeBSD)?
>>
File: 1234567890.jpg (37KB, 1034x540px) Image search: [Google]
1234567890.jpg
37KB, 1034x540px
>>55639179
Agreed.
>>
>>55642795
>FreeBSD's ports require you to run the same command with the exact same arguments up to three-four times
????
>>
I want to try out BSD but I need to know a few things before I jump in:

1. Does it really have all the Linux available softwares? Full GNOME/Cinnamon/KDE?
2. Anything like PPA or AUR?
3. How will virtualbox perform in BSD? Any KVM/QEMU pass-through technology happening soon?
4. Live ISO so I can try before installing?
>>
>>55643022
>1. Does it really have all the Linux available softwares?
No, but it has a Linux compatibility layer for most stuff

>Full GNOME/Cinnamon/KDE?
Yes, that it has, at least for GNOME and KDE.

>2. Anything like PPA or AUR?
No

>3. How will virtualbox perform in BSD? Any KVM/QEMU pass-through technology happening soon?
At the moment, PCI pass-through requires a patch to the Linux kernel, so no, that's not happening soon on any BSD.

>4. Live ISO so I can try before installing?
You can create one, but none is given out of the box, no.
>>
>>55643022
>>55643058
Also how do the distros differ? Like in Linux Ubuntu and Arch is not really different except from the release cycle and package manager
>>
>>55643022
>Does it really have all the Linux available softwares? Full GNOME/Cinnamon/KDE?
Look it up on the respective port sites. OpenBSD people have done some effort to port GNOME3, don't know if there's an effort for Plasma 5. Reason for it being that they have to patch out all the systemd dependencies. Try to look in their respective ports collections and binary package mirrors. Example:
http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.9/packages/amd64/
Pretty sure the AUR was inspired by the ports system.
>3. How will virtualbox perform in BSD? Any KVM/QEMU pass-through technology happening soon?
Normally pretty good, but they recommend bare metal. There are some bugs in OpenBSD that are unavoidable in Virtualbox because of how it VB handles memory, but all it really does is change the color of the console to red, so it doesn't matter. As for virtualization, FreeBSD has bhyve, OpenBSD is gonna have vmm/vmd soon.
nope
>>
>>55639179
worse hardware support, period
worse filesystems
worse technology (hurr but linux tech is too complex we're too small to audit all that)
not actually stable
>>
>>55643065
>distros
FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD etc are not "distros", they are completely different operating systems. Sure, they are very similar in some aspects and not so similar in others, but AFAIK the code base for most of them are quite different.
>>
>>55643082

>>55643065
>>55643058 here, don't they have zfs?
>>
>>55643088
Btrfs > zfs
>>
>>55643088
Yes, FreeBSD has ZFS.

>>55643074
Good point about the virtualisation, I was referring specifically to KVM/QEMU in >>55643058 which does not work on FreeBSD.

Not quite sure about the state of IOMMU support in any of the BSDs though.
>>
>>55643088
ZFS is good, but useless unless you have some kind of server.

>>55643097
Wow, that anon from the other thread wasn't wrong, we really do have Red Hat shills on /g/.
>>
>>55643097
Stop trolling

>>55643109
I'm pretty sure he's trolling
>>
Hmm thanks guys. I'll let BSD to develop a bit more. Meanwhile I'll be using Linux.

BSD people need to sort out which one to put more effort into (Open/Free). Linux software feels more universal since they are all the same OS
>>
>>55643160
they all cooperate, it's just not apparent at first

there was this developer, itojun, who had commit rights to every BSD, including Apple's Darwin

even the ports systems borrow from each other, some openbsd devs use freebsd ports as a base
>>
>>55642716
I love making something that should take 10 minutes of my time into a 6 hour ordeal.
>>
>>55643160
>Hmm thanks guys. I'll let BSD to develop a bit more. Meanwhile I'll be using Linux.
You misunderstand, anon.

FreeBSD is not going to turn into something you want, because it's simply not developing in that direction. FreeBSD is a server OS, and yes, you can make it sorta kinda work on your desktop, but the devs are not going to turn it into some Ubuntu.

I mean, FreeBSD is even older than Linux. It's about as "developed" it can be. It's simply not intended for the things you want to use an OS for.

>BSD people need to sort out which one to put more effort into (Open/Free). Linux software feels more universal since they are all the same OS
They are completely different projects, and they are so because of a reason (completely different philosophies), so also not going to happen.
>>
>>55643188
This. The BSDs' userlands are virtually the same.
>>
File: 232323232.jpg (117KB, 1494x1000px) Image search: [Google]
232323232.jpg
117KB, 1494x1000px
I'd love to main OS it, but apparently they don't have wifi drivers for the ThinkPad T410
>>
>>55639179
>not as supported as linux
>cuck license
>so insecure there's a "babby's first rootkits" book on it
>"the best" documentation when arch wiki exists (which works for software on other distros too)
>an OS that just screams "i'm a masochistic hipster and I just love making my life difficult"
>even more hobbyist than fucking arch or gentoo
>what >>55643086 and >>55643206 posted
>no drivers

come back when bsd can do something right
>>
>>55643954
It's sad that BSD can't do any better
>>
>>55643197
freebsd installs in less than half a minute on modern hardware. to get the gui environment installed you just run pkg fetch *whatever DE you want*. it literally, L I T E R A L L Y takes ten minutes.

basically, you're a huge cock sucking faggot
>>
>>55643954
fuck you are pathetic, you really do search /g/ for these threads
>>
>>55643954
>>cuck license
the "you can do whatever the fuck you want, including sell it for profit" BSD license is a cuck license?
>>
>>55643954
>cuck license
>implying the GPL isn't the very definition
>>
GNU doesn't print on Tuesdays

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/255161/comments/28
>>
>>55644441
>"Other applications print."
Your post is pointless.
>>
>>55644064

>on the front page
>takes 10 seconds to reply with a pasta
>forget about the thread until it's bumped back up here
>>>>"pathetic"
your insecurity doesn't make bsd any better

>>55644080
see: react
>>
File: just.jpg (62KB, 745x754px) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
62KB, 745x754px
>>55639179
>community worse than GNU community
>hostile to free software and filled with angry teenagers
I agree it is the best for servers, Linux can't compare with BSD for servers and stability. But GNU is for everyday use, it has much more development and is overall much better for daily use. BSD runs my servers though and I love it.
>>
>>55640039
>embedded
https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#Embedded_Projects
>>
>>55643109
>>55643123
>ZFS
>Will corrupt all your data if you run in on non-ECC hardware
>Can't add HDDs to existing arrays
>Can't re-balance existing arrays
>Block level deduplication was a mistake
>>
>>55639179
>>BU BU BU BU BUT MUH DRIVERS
The Playstation 4 runs FreeBSD 5
>>
File: 310.jpg (52KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
310.jpg
52KB, 800x598px
>>55646098
Nah, Orbis OS is FreeBSD 9.0
>>
>>55643206
So is BSD is dying with no hope? RIP
>>
>>55642655
>cups
ewww
Doesn't FreeBSD have a working classic lpd like NetBSD?
>>
>>55646233
Does wireless scan work in any of those?
>>
>>55646242
The fuck has scanning to do with lpd?
>>
>cuck license
Yeah, no.
>>
>>55646247
How about cups?
>>
>>55646260
What has scanning to do with cups?
>>
>>55646258
You literally can't argue with this kek
>>
Does FreeBSD have a driver for my ' Archer T4U ' USB Stick wifi reciever? I guess not
>>
>>55646280
>can't even find out the chipset and look it up
back to /v/ with you
>>
>>55646268
The person you replied to was supposed to find a way to scan wirelessly
>>
>>55646293
Which has nothing to do with cups whatsoever
>>
>>55639179
>stable
what if I not stablefag?
Threre is fresh packages?
Wayland?
uclibc?
musl?
>>
Does FreeBSD have a functioning ASLR implementation?

>into le trash it goes
>>
>>55646302
Hmm I guess he was retarded to talk about cups and ghostscripts when I was looking for a way to print and scan over WiFi
>>
>>55646315
>Does FreeBSD have a functioning ASLR implementation?
hurr, wut is sekyureteey?
>>
>>55646274
GPL makes sure that the code won't be used in some proprietary shit.
>>
>>55646319
A thing that cannot control volume
>>
>>55646326
/Thread
>>
>>55646291
>>55646319
Good points, im totally switching to freebsd now!
>>
>>55643058
ok then it's rubbish
>>
>>55646326
Thus causing GPL projects not being used at all, good idea!
>>
>>55646362
>contributing to non-free software
BSDfags are the cancer. Who cares about non-free software?
>>
>>55646362
call me when BSD marketshare reaches single digits
>>
There was a weird bug for me that didn't allow to install it.
I prepared 25GB of unallocated space. I first partitioned it manually, but instead of 20GB it showed me 1TB (and I have 500GB HDD only) and when I tried to install it it poped me I/O error.
Same thing happened when I tried automatic partitioning.
Anyone knows what the problem might be?
It works with GNU and Windows well.
>>
Why should i use BSD instead of Linux. I have never come across a good reason. Is this just for muh im special snowflake feeling? Fucking redpill me already

>>55639179
>>
>>55646359
the software ecosystem is smaller, yes, but that's the price of quality
>>
>>55646413
Haven't used BSD, but it's directly ported UNIX, while GNU/Linux is rewritten UNIX.
Reasons to use BSD are mostly philosophical because of licensing.
Also, can anyone answer my question >>55646408 ?
>>
>>55646413
redpill yourself. it's common sense
>>
>>55646433
Alrighty thanks for clarification

>>55646439
Isn't the point of this thread to someone to redpill me? Eh i'll just stick with good ol' linux
>>
>>55646469
Here you go:
Linux competes with Windows
BSD competes with Linux

you can understand the gap between Linux and BSD

BSD will always be a baby, hopelessly patching Linux softwares for itself as unofficial ports
>>
>>55646413
https://www.freebsd.org/advocacy/whyusefreebsd.html
>>
>>55646516
Yeah, so no reason to use BSD,
Expect the philosophical reasons as anon above said

Im out
>>
>>55646558
>believing what that idiot said
shiggy.
>>
>>55646641
Enlighten me then, mr. Neckbeard.
I didn't use BSD, as I said.
How much do you feel superior for calling me idiot?
>>
>>55646641
You literally cannot deny me
>>
>>55646516
>BSD will always be a baby, hopelessly patching Linux softwares for itself as unofficial ports

BSD is not even comparable to linux. Linux is a trademark. linux is a kernel.

BSD is a fully featured, fully integrated OS, from kernel to userland utilities.

The system is designed so that it is stable, not only as a system, but stable for a user. If you learned BSD 16 years ago, your skills are still relevant. It also puts a higher emphasis on being performant than linux does.

If we can personify Linux and BSD, Linux just wants to run on every device. BSD wants to be the best system.
>>
>>55646810
Yeah full OS with no DE
>>
>>55646554
>They don't mention the license anywhere
Wow, it told me fucking nothing. I want to use software that is released on GPL, and not some permissive cuck license.
>>
>>55646861
GNU/Linux has no DE as well you fucking retard.
Just tell me where you live, I will come next weekend and murder you. I'll give your whore of a mother money to clean your shit up as compensation.
It sure will be to social benefit.
>>
>>55646884
Yes it has, GNU has GNOME. Consider suicide hippie shit
>>
>>55643852
I'm running OpenBSD on it.
Works great
>>
>>55646878
>i'm unable to navigate a simple website, and i want everyone to know. Autistic Pride
>>
>Using an operating system from the university that is responsible for the mistake called vi
>>
>>55646905
#rekt w/ no respekt
>>
>>55639179
yea its preddy good, although i use ubuntu so that i can play civ v and chivalry with my wife's son.
>>
>>55646915
>implying that the license isn't an important aspect of an operating system and one of the main reasons to switch
>>
>>55646905
pkg install mate
>>
>>55646905
Oh, how do I run Xfce on GNU/Linux OS?
It's called GNU/Linux because of GNU's core utils needed for a whole OS to work.
And guess what. It works without DE.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (67KB, 660x352px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
67KB, 660x352px
There's people ITT that need to grow up and see that the world isn't GNU/World.

People need to work and get paid. So take your GNU/Dream/Life and gtfo.

BSD license is a license for people who work. Not a license for stupid NEET, like "DUUR DURR THE WORLD NEEDS TO BE FREE AS IN FREE BEER"
>>
>>55646948
Too bad, Xfce uses GNU gtk AND was made for Linux
>>
>>55646948
and the GNU core utils pale in comparison to BSD's, for many reasons. There's a reason architects who need high performance, reliability, and ease of use look to BSD rather than GNU. BSD has very, very few bugs in production.
>>
>>55646861
Why the fuck would you want a bigger iso and store multiple of then with each of the DE's when you can just store one and have the user run 1 command to get whatever he wants?

Because it's used even less than GNU/Linux , it doesn't have to worry about catering to children who want to browse their face books.

Anyone who wants to try *BSD should have a high enough IQ to read and comprehend a wiki.
>>
>>55646968
>>55646954

>BSD bros on deck
>>
>>55646905
literally ran
pkg install mate and waited 8 minutes
>>
BSD threads are always pathetic because it's always the most militant neckbeard linux users who feel obliged to shill their favourite OS
>>
>>55639179
> FreeBSD is easy to set up, and has the best documentation of any software project on the Internet. Full stop.
_the best_
:^)

> FreeBSD has millions of device drivers due to having a full featured development suite and source code available upon installation, ready for modification.
You seriously expect people to write their own graphics drivers because they are so shit?

> FreeBSD comes with a number of optional games to install, and more games are being ported every day.
A number of optional games to install. Great, so no games except BSDMineSweeper.

0/10 b8
>>
>>55647100
>i'm such a faggot that it hurts to live
>>
>>55643022
doesnt PC-BSD provide one?
do they even still exist?

>Full GNOME/Cinnamon/KDE?
2. Anything like PPA or AUR?
Would fleeing to BSD be a valid option for someone that wants to avoid the KDE5 mess be an option? since they, according to OP, are
>the most stable OS in the world,
They certainly wouldn't ship KDE5, while it is still in alpha stage, and would rather stick with tested and stable 4.

And how is suspend and powermanagemant working? Last time I tried (2010), that was a mess.
>>
>>55639179
>contributions to the source code from skilled developers working at companies like Netflix
netflix can't be watched on linux without chrome so whats ur point senpai.
>>
>>55643022
>1. Does it really have all the Linux available softwares?
yes
Full GNOME/Cinnamon/KDE?
yes
ports/source code
well
yes
>>
>>55647216
the point is the internal system is being by the likes of netflix, so you know it's quality. for example, the process scheduling has just been updated with a contribution from people at netflix working on the FreeBSD release
>>
>>55646938
>implying the license on any software matters at all
>>
an an experienced system engineer, programmer, and enthusiast - BSD is the easiest system i have ever used, and has clear advantages over anything else out there.

its no more work to get set up as a general purpose desktop os (with gaymz) than ubuntu is, in fact, it's less work, more stable, the entire system metaphor they're going for makes clearer sense than the GNU, and i have never had an issue compiling software on it. wish i could say the same for windows, or linux.

no wonder apple chose this OS as their base. i guess i could say "i should have switched years ago", but i probably wouldn't have appreciated it, being so unwise and inexperienced then.
>>
>>55646183
Can you install it on a PC so you can use it as a ps4?
>>
What's the difference between free and open BSD?
(Newbie here)
>>
>>55646318
You're looking for SANE. I have no idea whether it works on FreeBSD.
>>
>>55646206
>dying
Again, FreeBSD is older than Linux and still going strong.
>>
>>55648004
Two different operating systems made by two different communities.
>>
>>55639179
Shilling this hard won't work pajeet, you have to be subtle.
>>
>>55647722
Enjoy using software that mistreats you and empowers the developer, then.
>>
>>55646986
I actually use Arch, but have been playing with a FreeBSD VM.
>>
>>55647026
You don't fucking get it do you? MATE is an independent project. GNU has their own desktop called GNOME. What DE does BSD have? I guess none since it's an irrelevant browser OS
>>
>>55648306
GNU also has a text editor called emacs, doesn't mean it's installed in every system.

Just because GNU has different software projects, doesn't mean they all belong into a GNU/Linux distro.
>>
>>55648342
It belongs to the GNU project
>>
Since one year or so i want to switch but never went fully in. I had two problems:

1. No libspotifiy: Yeah, i know. I also listen via mpv my main music, but sometimes i want to use spotify. But it doesnt even work with mopidy, since the libspotify package is linux only. Does anybody know how i can emulate it?

2. Strange Disk write/read errors on MacBook Air 2013: My MacBook works fine. No Problems with Debian or MacOS. But somehow FreeBSD goes nuts and has random write/read errors every 10 seconds or so. Seems like a problem with the disk controller. Does anybody know a solution?
>>
>>55643058
>PCI pass-through requires a patch to the Linux kernel
why would you lie on the internet?
>>
>>55643086
>FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD etc are not "distros"
Berkeley Software something-something
>>
>>55648306
>>55648342
BSD has X
>>
>>55646810
>Performant

What country do you live in?
>>
>>55648460
*tips*
>>
>>55647740
>no wonder apple chose this OS as their base
yeah, they couldn't steal the GPL licensed one
>>
>>55648460
X was developed at MIT.
>>
OP status: #rekt
>>
>>55646433
>BSD, but it's directly ported UNIX, while GNU/Linux is rewritten UNIX
Only one of them is UNIX.
>>
>>55644060
Just trying to partition using the command line is a complete pain in the ass.
>>
File: wonka.jpg (67KB, 355x236px) Image search: [Google]
wonka.jpg
67KB, 355x236px
>>55648607
>>
>>55649900
it's easy if you're an expert in UNIX. you know what to expect, and the metaphor is consistent. you can predict how the system behaves, and you are right most of the time.

if you are inexperienced, naturally you will have difficulties. such is the way of the learning curve.
>>
>>55648455
They have different kernels, the definition of a GNU/Linux distro is that it uses the Linux kernel

>>55648446
You need a custom build of KVM (as in, not the one in the repos).

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM
>>
>>55648455
>Berkeley Software something-something
By that logic, anything that uses a BSD license is a "distro"
>>
I've always wanted to give FreeBSD a try. What's the deal with PC-BSD?
>>
>>55650008
LMAO. Nobody has time for that BS. I've used BSD for SANs and routers but that is the only thing they are good at. Pf and ZFS is amazing but apart from that, they are mostly useless especially for desktops. Anything which forces me to waste time over something as simple as installing it should be discarded as a hobby project. I've used Arch and Gentoo long time back but they are time sink OSs.

May try PC-BSD on KVM.
>>
>cuck license
Wake me up when there's a GPL BSD
>>
>>55650168
we get it, you posted it 6 times in this thread already
>>
>>55644602
so you admit that you do post in every BSD thread

what the fuck is your problem?
>>
>>55650057
>You need a custom build of KVM
you're either lying or just don't know what the fuck you're talking about; vfio-pci is a thing now
>>
>>55650080
>the definition of a GNU/Linux distro
We're talking about BSD, are you stupid?
>By that logic, anything that uses a BSD license is part of BSD
You're indeed retarded.
>>
>>55647456
>i approve of and celebrate a software philosophy that licenses the blood, sweat, and tears of mostly volunteers wanting to make the world a better place with a license that allows megacorps to essentially steal and lock down the software, stand on developers' shoulders, and decide that they don't even want to allow the use of their product on the platform they used to build it

you literally cannot make this shit up
fuck bsd
>>
>>55648046
Wow that sure helps him! Good going anon!

>what're the differences between X and Y
>they're different xD
truly enlightening, you deserve a gold star and a chicken nugger
>>
>>55650667
>muh megacorps
put a sock in it
>>
>>55650696
>support proprietary sock manufacturing
Typical BSD-fag response

not that you'd understand anything
A typical BSD user will create and manage a sock company, even working on the factory floor 14 hours a day, slaving away, dedicate his life to the place. Then let some jew sweep in and tell him the place is his now and not only is he not allowed to sell anymore socks, he won't even be acknowledged or thanked for his hard work, and on top of it all, the new guy running the show will make it impossible for him to ever wear socks again

tl;dr I can't put a sock in it because the megacorp you licensed the socks to tied my hands with them and doesn't even allow me to move
>>
>>55650750
wow
>>
>>55639179
Today I installed xfce on my FreeBSD virtual machine
>>
>>55650760
refute it, slime
>>
>>55650772
i like how the xfce team are the only ones dedicated to actually making a portable DE

>>55650780
you're not worth refuting, and you know this
>>
>>55650667
>>55650750

BSDfags BTFO as usual
>>
>>55650978
lol you're sad
>>
>>55646954
* free speech

I have paid for GPL software.
>>
>>55639179
>Server
I accept the claim.
>Embedded
Neither of us know enough about this to say.
>Desktop
You're insane
>>
>>55650008
>It's easy if you're an expert
Like fucking everything, dipshit.
>>
>>55642631
>that's a deal breaker for [a majority of people]
Yes, it is a bit of a deal breaker, Mr. 1337-CUI-hacker. Sorry that we're not all as awesome and smart as you for preferring a less intuitive interface.

And no, I'm not decrying CUI's, but when you want a product to grow and appeal to more people, you should have more options to attract users. Maybe there would be more FreeBSD users if it simply implemented a graphical installer as an option.
>>
>>55639179
>l-linux isn't hipster enough quick what do use now???
>>
>>55651918
there IS a graphical installer, it's a ncurses based one
>>
>>55652029
Oh. So >>55639974 is just a fucking idiot? My bad.
>>
>>55652048
yes

and even openbsd, which doesn't have a graphical one, can be installed by mashing the enter button
>>
File: 1467661531268-g.png (11KB, 411x387px) Image search: [Google]
1467661531268-g.png
11KB, 411x387px
Which is noob and desktop friendiest bsd to try out?
>>
ITT: a bunch of idiots who don't know about PC-BSD. It's easier to install and use than Ubuntu

https://web.pcbsd.org/
>>
>>55652120
i always felt that freebsd, and especially pc-bsd, were clunky as fuck
>>
>setup
Agreed
>drivers
Can't get half my shit to work. Not even with niche drivers from GitHub.
>gaymes
tfw still on Windows because nobody ports weebshit games to Linux like the Tales of series.
Also they all have issues in Wine. Usually texture related for some reason
>>
>>55652152
You must have last checked it years ago. Open the page. They've even made a new lightweight desktop environment from scratch.
>>
>>55652164
yeah i used it back when they used KDE3, so that WAS a long time ago
>>
>>55646060
>>Will corrupt all your data if you run in on non-ECC hardware
[citation needed]
>>Can't add HDDs to existing arrays
https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/comments/2pq97a/adding_drives_to_an_existing_pool/
>>Can't re-balance existing arrays
If you terribly need it, copying them in-place will rewrite them and spread them, specially to your new empty drive
>>Block level deduplication was a mistake
[citation needed]
>>
>>55652255
don't respond to him seriously
>>
>>55652255
Not that anon, but without ECC RAM, ZFS can do more damage to your files than other filesystems, such as corrupting all your data, if your RAM decides to fuck up. ECC RAM makes sure that this doesn't happen during it's true lifespan.

It's explained here:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ecc-vs-non-ecc-ram-and-zfs.15449/
>>
>>55652516
but you have to keep in mind the other anon was implying btrfs was any better
>>
>>55652637
btrfs is fast, simple, complete, and does not require ECC ram
>>
>>55652694
>btrfs
>complete
don't make me laugh

no distro except red hat shit ships with it by default
>>
>>55652796
confirmed never used it
>>
>>55652101
PC-BSD, can't get more n00b friendly than that. It's based off the most recent release of FreeBSD, so any software made for FreeBSD should work for PC-BSD. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
>>
>>55652849
how does that relate to what i said

people really do not care about btrfs, the only distro i've used that autopartitioned stuff as btrfs was fedora
>>
File: openpepe.png (120KB, 2000x1433px) Image search: [Google]
openpepe.png
120KB, 2000x1433px
>>55652796
you mean suse, right?
>>
>>55652856
>auto
>by default
The point is that it's stable, and that people use it. Just like ZFS, except without the headaches, ram spillage, and licensing issues.
>>
>>55652694
You wish. Even HFS+ is more featured and useful than btrfs at this point.
>>
>>55652896
>the point is i move goalposts
holy shit we were never talking about the license, good god you are stupid

i bet you don't even know what you're talking about and you're just reading shit off from somewhere again
>>
>>55652796
>no distro except red hat shit ships with it by default
OpenSUSE not only ships with it, but defaults to using it unless specified otherwise as well.
>>
>>55639179
>>55652851
As a preface, I swear I'm not flaming or trolling.

I think FreeBSD/PC-BSD is interesting and cool, but I don't see any reason to use it over GNU/Linux. It seems very similar, except it has less users and less applications available. Windows users are reluctant about using Linux, and I'm similarly reluctant about using FreeBSD. I don't see any benefit, so I don't understand why anyone would make the choice to use it.
>>
>>55652896
and by the way, you're comparing it to btrfs, which is more of a general purpose file system

ZFS is literally intended for data centers, of course you'd have ECC ram
>>
>>55639179
>FreeBSD comes with a number of optional games to install, and more games are being ported every day.
That is - bar none - the most delusional statement I've ever seen in my life. Holy shit. Hahaha, just kill yourself.
>>
>>55652938
It's an issue as well though. btrfs is as good as zfs in every single way, and better in some other ways. that's the point. Your post implied that it is not better than ZFS, I am saying that you're wrong. I have used both. ZFS at work and btrfs at work and home.
>>
>>55653037
yeah, im sure the license just FUCKS you at work every time
>>
>>55653113
Yes, it does. It means if we want it to be properly supported we need to use BSD, which means we need to move our software over and fuck around with shit that already works fine on linux. This is the main reason we starting playing with btrfs in the first place.
>>
>>55652946
BSD is if you want true genuine UNIX rather than being UNIX-like with GNU/Linux. Also, there is a different sense of philosophy among the *BSDs and that's perfectly fine if you want to stick to GNU/Linux.
>>
>>55653037
There is a reason why Canonical and Red Hat wanted to make ZFS as a default option in their respective distros, companies actually demanded it.

>>55646060
>>55652516
That's not the point of ZFS, that's like saying why F2FS doesn't work well with HDDs. It was not made for non-ECC RAM.
>>
>>55653253
Thanks for the sane answer. I mostly ignored the rest of the thread.
>>
>>55648582
your point being?
>>
>>55652946
I only do it out of preference.

I can't believe professional distros like OpenSUSE and Fedora store EVERYTHING under /usr, it brings my piss to a boil.

What's more, cygwin also does it.
>>
>>55646905
>GNUtard calling someone a hippie
your delusion knows no bounds
>>
>>55653337
MIT is where the GNU project started.
>>
>>55639179
Is there a noticable performance difference between freebsd and linux?

Does anyone here use Debian's kfreebsd?
>>
>>55650667
What megacorps are you talking about exactly? Mine (as in the one I work for) contributes to the BSD code, as well as other megacorps that I know and base their products on *BSD
>>
>>55654129
doesn't matter if you can prove it, he'll just deflect as he always does
>>
>>55653423
Maybe, I didn't test it thoroughly but in my personal experience BSD is more responsive.

I don't think anybody seriously uses that, to me it feels a dead project but I might be wrong.
>>
>>55654129
>netflix "contributes to the bsd code" but doesn't allow you to actually use their service
>>
>>55654157
backend and frontend are different things, but keep acting like a retard
>>
>>55654171
either you can use netflix or you can't
>>
>>55654197
i never said otherwise

you do know that even if their backend used linux, they could've made a frontend from scratch and never released the source to that, right?
>>
>>55654157
Too bad that the fact you're not allowed to use Netflix really depends on DRM that, as we know, are pushed by the music/movies corporation.
Start your own Netflix and make it DRM-free, let's see what majors will agree to release their material over your platform...
>>
>>55654218
no, it's strictly a "fuck you" decision. What makes FreeBSD or Firefox on GNU/Linux different from Firefox on Windows?
>>
>>55654241
>or Firefox on GNU/Linux different from Firefox on Windows?

No flash or acrobat?
>>
>>55653360
Epic deflection fucktard
>>
>>55648306
The Lumina Desktop.
>>
>>55655567
Finally a valid response. Unfortunately PC-BSD is not shilled as hard as free/openBSD.

Is Lumina able to run all KDE applications?
>>
>>55655618
As far I know, it has some compatibilIty with KDE and Qt applications, but I don't know how many progress have at this point.
>>
>>55655531
>i got owned
>>
>>55655796
You got owned multiple times clueless retard. Aren't you the one who agreed BSD has no desktops? Stop sucking cocks like a typical faggot
>>
>>55655845
XD
what are you arguing on now?
>>
>>55655796
>>55655856
The fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>55655886
the fuck is wrong with YOU

reminder that you live to shitpost in these threads
>>
>>55655903
Whatever lets you fall asleep, turdbrain. It's because of people like you no one takes BSD seriously in /g/. See >>55646355
>>
>>55656001
i didn't know you spoke for all of /g/

guess all of /g/ must also be autistic shitposters that get triggered by specific threads
>>
>>55656015
>You live to shitpost in these threads
>All of /g/ is also autistic shitposters
Do you realize the simple fact that you are the one who's being an idiot?

Conversation was going fine between >>55655567
and >>55655567 until your autism kicked in.

I'm out
>>
>>55656074
>I'm out
sure you are

see you tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and so on
>>
>>55648207
>not wanting to give developers freedom so they will want to make you good software

You do realise developers are important, right? They aren't evil monsters. If you hate software developers so much, stop using software.
>>
>>55646878
why the fuck would they

also you're using 4chan
>>
>>55656610
He is right, though. People want to use software that works, not wanting to deal with political and ideological bullshit.
In the end, the GPL license is good for developers but not that good to the end user (unless the end user are also developers).
The BSD license is good for the end user but not that good for developers, but a lot of BSD software is used in companies, so the developers are paid to do what the company want to do, so the developers ideologies or philosophies don't matter in the end.
>>
>>55656984
>He is right, though. People want to use software that works, not wanting to deal with political and ideological bullshit.
this, who are the zealots that keep bringing up licenses in BSD threads again?
>>
>>55657002
Well, this was a FreeBSD thread after all, not a BSD license thread, and this faggot >>55643954 was the first one who wanted to have a licenses war.
>>
>>55657126
he ALWAYS does this though

he's funny to trigger though
>>
>>55652101
None.
>>
>>55656984
GPL is terrible for developers. It takes away developers' ownership of their own code. They can't relicense or do anything. Meanwhile, BSD gives freedom to developers, allowing them to do whatever they want.
>>
>>55652101
FreeBSD
there's also that one specifically for desktop but you'd get made fun of
>>
>>55639179
>desktop OS
OpenBSD's better as a desktop, FreeBSD's for servers.
>>
File: aremes.png (680KB, 1000x616px) Image search: [Google]
aremes.png
680KB, 1000x616px
>>55657984
>They can't [convert FOSS into proprietary] or anything.
>Meanwhile, BSD gives freedom to developers, allowing them to have power over the users of their software.
woohoo
>>
>>55658242
you ever notice how freetards never shut the fuck up and always invade threads

reminder that you praise an autist who eats his stuff he finds between his toes
>>
>>55639179
*BSDfags, I like you guys, but stop being delusional. If Linux has almost no support, then *BSD is a barren wasteland.
>>
>>55658259
nice retort, bro
real convincing and persuasive ad hominem
>>
>>55639179
DragonFlyBSD
>>
>>55658856
>AMD64-only
>embedded
>>
File: FreeBSD.png (6KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
FreeBSD.png
6KB, 720x400px
freebsd is ideal for embedded environments

beat this, linux fags
>>
>>55643022
>>55643022
VirtualBox is the go-to for virtualization on FreeBSD still. They ARE working on a virtualization system that will take advantage of virtualization extensions, and include kernel hooks, but it's a long way from being stable & performant like KVM.
>>
File: Capture.png (56KB, 1125x634px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
56KB, 1125x634px
was feeling a little cramped
>>
>>55639179
this is a really bad bait, you OP are really blind or stupid, freebsd, freebsd is for fucking dedicated servers and some people like it in their desktops, but IS A FUCKING DESKTOP OS, don't try to say what isn't.

>FreeBSD has millions of device drivers

Network cards, only network cards maybe.
>>
>>55659250
>Windows 10
Disgusting.
At least post specs of your huge pools.
>>
>>55658921
>freebsd is ideal for embedded environments
not is not, that why there are not million of embeded devices running it, thats why NETBSD was created for and isn't as nice as linux with busybox.
>>
>>55648021
yes, is older, but I don't understand why normal-fags fan guys tries to force it as a multipurpose OS when clearly is not, is designed for servers if you cannot accept that you are simply a NEET who never used fbsd seriously.
Thread posts: 243
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.