[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Free Internet Thred: Free as in Free Beer edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: free.internet.gif (82KB, 600x320px) Image search: [Google]
free.internet.gif
82KB, 600x320px
Right, so, I'm sick and tired of paying for the right to access information on the internet.

What is it exactly that ISPs provide, and why can I not just get it for myself? Hardware can be free if you know how to make it, software can be free if you know how to program/hack it, so why is internet access proprietary?

Don't give me anything about creating your own network, either - that's not the worldwide web. I'm not going to get 4chan access from a closed network, now am I?

What do I need to get and do so that I can access the same Internet everyone else does without paying a monthly subscription?
>>
>>55390543
>Free Internet
Good luck with that
>>
>>55390543

just steal from the guy next door.
>>
Go to starbucks or the library there's plenty of interwebs there.
>>
>>55390564
That's lots of help, m8

>>55390569
Impossible. I live in the middle of nowhere. At the time being, on my off days I'll go to the local library and use their wifi, but it's a pain to not have that same free access at home.
>>
>>55390543
Just because you are an mechanic, doesn't mean you can build your own car and drive it around without a license.
>>
>>55390591
move to a Google Fiber city?
>>
>>55390603
Are you saying it's illegal to not pay an ISP?

Not that the legality of getting my free internet bothers me, but that seems like a bad racket to me.
>>
>>55390606
I don't have that kind of money ;_;
>>
>>55390649
If you don't like paying ISPs you could pay your Mobile Carrier company by getting unlimited Data and using that for your devices.
>>
If you are here in this thread asking us its likely you dont have the technical know how to do what you are proposing in the first place and if anyone has figured this out they likely dont browse /g/
>>
>>55390543
Feel free to buy your own router and rent a spot in an IXP.
>>
Create your own ISP. Might costs a few thousand dollars but at least you won't be cucked by your ISP anymore.
>>
>>55390543
My neighbor , he a provider.
>>
>>55390543
1. Get a directed WiFi antenna + amplifier (some work up to few km).
2. Find open WiFis or WiFis with weak protection (WEP)
3. Crack them
4. ????
5. Profit
>>
>>55390543
You was gona nignog on some odc hub?
Sheeeee
>>
>>55390543
Fuck off commie
>>
>>55390840
>some work up to few km
with like 20KB/s
Just hack any unlocked router, it's easy.
>>
utilities are never free, that's the way it goes
>>
you pay for use of the infrastructure basically
>>
>>55390863
Depends on what network you'll find and what antenna you have.
>>
>>55390919
this

OP, you are a retardet, ISPs pay a whole fuckin lot more than you do. They pay rent for cable use, traffic, power and all sorts of fees. They dont even make money off heavy users and are only profitable thanks to normies who use 1-20 gigs of traffic a month.
>>
>>55390969
Exactly that's why you're seeing data caps on on your services.
>>
>>55390944
Kms away from a router means shitty speeds,always.
>>
>>55390969
It's called amortization and it's included in the price and after a few years it's gone but prices ARE THE FREAKING SAME YOU MORON!
>>
>>55391094
In which 3rd world country do you live where they have data caps? I use about 15Tb a month
>>
>>55390543
Ya bud I agree! We know how to make that hardware, and it's a simple task! Ok, I'm going to make a really long wire and run it through to every house in America, while you make a really long wire and run it through the entirety of Canada!! We will need to find another person for every major land region, but we will only need about 10 to 15 people!

This is going to be so easy OP thanks for thinking of this idea!!!!!
>>
>>55390705
Underrated post
>>
>>55390543
The internet is a Network of Networks.
So basically your paying access to the all the networks publicly available by the Higher end ISP's.

TECHNICALLY you don't need an ISP to access the internet but you however need access to an Network node and an IP addressed to get connected to it.

This is the service High level ISP's provide to lower level ISP's they lease a nº of IP's and Bandwidth to the Consumer level ISP's network infrastructure and allows users to pay for said things.
If you think it's unfair you can:

Buy an IP address of a high level ISP, rent/ask for permission to use the pipe conduits to pass your cable to the High level ISP and by extension pay someone to buy and install it and maintain it and then tell me how expensive it is to have your own Network with internet access.
>>
>>55390543
>What do I need to get and do so that I can access the same Internet everyone else does without paying a monthly subscription?
What do you think your ISP is doing?
Connecting people to the Internet is something that requires alot of time and money.
Firstly they have to build a wire from your house to their servers which is nearly impossible for a private person to do because you need permission from the government and probably somewhere around 10000-1000000$ depending on where you live.
Then they have to maintain their servers that connect you to the wider net.
Again even if you wanted to do that the per day cost of it would be larger than what you pay in a month.

Your ISP is caring about the physical connection and that is neither cheap nor anything that could be done privately.
>>
>Don't give me anything about creating your own network, either - that's not the worldwide web.
It is though, that's all an ISP is doing is creating a network and letting you in on it, or really their doing the same to governments.

https://diyisp.org/dokuwiki/doku.php
https://lists.ffdn.org/wws/info/diy-isp
https://www.ffdn.org/en/projects

I personally hope distributed networks do take off though as an alternative, it seems like they'd be great for everything except low latency tasks.

I want to see some meshnet software take off then see something like IPFS used on top of it.
>>
Just crack your neighbor's wifi signal and call it a day
>>
>>55390543
What you're paying for is connection to an Autonomous System (check the term on Wikipedia), which in turn has routing to all the other ASs that make up the Internet.

In other words, if you want to do the same thing yourself, you'll have to find yourself some other AS to connect to, and in all likelihood you're not going to find one that offers you free access, as they all pay for access to each other.
>>
>>55391143
America. I get 150 GB, and no other providers in my area give more than that.
>>
4chan is proprietary.

Also, you're an idiot.
>>
>>55391684
Nah, m8, that's you that's the idiot, because ya didn't even read what the OP was sayin.

Nobody here is talking about owning 4chan - we're talking about getting free internet access, is all.
>>
>>55390543
>free as in beer
i've never understood this analogy, beer literally costs money everywhere.
>>
>>55391745
I was covering both bases, the first was libre, the second was gratis.
>>
>>55391781
Free beer isn't good beer.
Free software isn't good software.

Beer doesn't cost money at A) parties B) work events
>>
>>55390670
Are you serious man? You didn't connect the dots? Mobile carriers *are* ISPs.
>>
File: 9000_6and10slot_angle_large.jpg (65KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
9000_6and10slot_angle_large.jpg
65KB, 600x750px
>>55391896
Nobody in this thread except for >>55390705 and >>55391170 understand how peering works, so as much as I want to believe it's ironic shitposting it very well might not be.
>>
>>55390969
>They dont even make money off heavy users and are only profitable thanks to normies who use 1-20 gigs of traffic a month.

Thats just what they want you to think to justify caps and charging more.

The reality is that it doesn't matter how much bandwidth you use because they have a retarded amount of bandwidth and only fuck with peoples connections to make them upgrade.
>>
>>55391819
Someone still had to purchase the beer for the party.
>>
>>55392175
I think you're being obtuse but everything costs someone something but can be free to someone else. The person at the party having said free beer didn't pay for it, hence their perception of it is 'free.'
>>
>>55391819
>Free beer isn't good beer.
There are tons of free beer recipes that produce good beer.
>>
>>55392491
I bet you use Linux too
>>
>>55392497
I bet you only buy packaged food.
>>
>>55390630
In essence you'll need to become an ISP

Equipment ain't cheap.

You'll have to send data through other companies eventually, and theyre not going to let you use bandwidth for free.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.