[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, my parents bought a new laptop with Windows 10 installed.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Windows-10-Logo.jpg (125KB, 3200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Windows-10-Logo.jpg
125KB, 3200x1800px
So, my parents bought a new laptop with Windows 10 installed. Parents' don't use Linux, you know this. So don't suggest it.

Anything I need to know to help them out with it? Anything to be aware of in Windows 10? I'm only familiar with Windows 7. Never even gave Windows 8 a second thought.
>>
Do you like your mom?
>>
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>55256567
I actually prefer Slackware.
>>
>>55256551
You'll probably want to install classic start for them because the default start menu is pretty useless and unintuitive.

If it's on a laptop you will probably want to disable windows update sharing to reduce the amount of connections, It will probably save battery life.
>>
install Debian 8 you cant go wrong. wipe that botnet shit off
>>
>>55256801
What part of "Don't suggest Linux" did you not understand?
>>
You'll probably want to do the following as a bare minimum:

- Disable automatic driver updates
- Disable peer to peer updates

You could just download O&O shutup10 and that will take care of pretty much all the annoying parts.

If a Live account is available, you can set it for use only on the Store and not as a system account. That way they can install shit from the Store and keep the OS separate from the account.
>>
Look up and use 'Destroy Windows Spying' if you're not aware of it already, going for any other Windows user also. Gets rid of some of the in-built 'spyware' pieces of Windows OS's
>>
Install Manjaro. It's like Arch but better.
>>
>>55256551
>Parents' don't use Linux, you know this. So don't suggest it.
I recommend using Fedora
>>
>>55256751
Ah, there's a way to get the classic start menu? Neat. I'll figure that out.

Haven't heard of Windows Update Sharing. I'll see about it.

>>55256858
I'll see about these things. Thanks.
>>
return the laptop and get them a macbook instead
seriously
>>
>>55257342
My dad is the only sort of "technical" one of the two and he has only ever used Windows. He has no interest in Macs and neither do I.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.