[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on Using Win10 as a Necessity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Static.gif (96KB, 429x650px) Image search: [Google]
Static.gif
96KB, 429x650px
So, my job is largely in audiovisual and graphical development, and I also do scanning. Largely freelance film restoration, text restoration, and encoding jobs.

I have always had to use Windows for my media tools. I do use GIMP before Photoshop if its doable, but GIMP lacks in both the powerfulness of tools, and in the Photoshop plugins which I employ to achieve the best quality in my work. While Avisynth can run on Linux through WINE, there is no comparison for my Adobe-oriented workflow.

I am a long standing user of UNIX and Linux systems, but I have always had to use it alongside Windows 7. As such, I usually run shell scripting and the like through cygwin (babun recently), and although its an abomination, it gets the job done.

Now it has come to the point where all the scanners which I employ for my work, typically Epson (but I am looking around), are beginning to be released without Windows 7 support. When my current scanner dies, I will then be forced to use Windows 10.

With this in mind, how should I minimize the value of the data which I will inevitably leak (even with impotent blockers) when using Windows 10 on a dual-boot system for intensive, media rich work?
>>
fauux.neocities.org nice
>>
Windows 10 doesn't "leak data", you fell for a meme
>>
>>55228442
i think youre full of shit son
im not an expert but windows 7 is and will be for years the dominating os in corporations, unless they actually start to force-update peoples computers. and those big expensive scanners and printers are always geared torwards corporations.
are you sure your scanners are really losing support? can you provide a sauce of some sort?

anyway for your actual question. again im not an expert but your job sounds like it could be for the most part done offline. do that. never connect the win10 machine to the internet. only do the absolutely necessary stuff on it and then move the stuff to another computer. that should do the trick.
>>
>>55228442
Use it exclusively offline. Alternatively, you could install it on a separate hard drive and install the SATA switch to switch between hard drives without having to unplug them.
Don't use dual boot, and don't panic since win7 will be supported for another decade.
But you should only be concerned if you use your own personal computer.
>>
>>55228442
W7 won't be obsolete in many years to come, and I doubt that support for it will truly cease just yet. I'd rather dual-boot W7 and Linux, than even look at W10.

Even for gaming use, W10 is quickly becoming obsolete, thanks to the advent of Vulkan, and general DX9 and 11 domination at the moment.

>>55228574
spoken like a true shill, proven wrong numerous times.

>>55228577
>unless they actually start to force-update peoples computers.
been living under a rock? They already have been doing that for months. My parents-in-law's laptop was one of the closest victims to this bullshit, but luckily we managed to restore it back to W8.1. Disabled all the auto-updates, and ran some user-made programs that uninstall telemetry and W10 related installations.
>>
>>55229085
>Even for gaming use, W10 is quickly becoming obsolete
Even if Vulkan was a viable alternative to DX12, which it is not, this would be untrue. Windows 10 can use Vulkan. Windows 10 isn't even going to become unnecessary if Vulkan succeeds thanks to M$'s arbitrary limitations forcing their pocketed developers to use DX12 and only allowing Xbox 'exclusive' titles to come to Windows 10 PCs.
>>
>>55229134
>Even if Vulkan was a viable alternative to DX12, which it is not, this would be untrue.
Expect it's quickly becoming just that. Just about all major manufacturers and tons of game-devs are quickly adapting Vulkan as we speak. DX12 will almost certainly be limited to MS exclusive shit (=fucking nothing) and some individual AAA titles. At best, we'll be having similar situation as in late 90s, when you could choose between Software / D3D / OGL, this time the options being DX or Vulkan.
>Windows 10 can use Vulkan.
W7 can use Vulkan.
My phone can use Vulkan.

If a game utilize Vulkan, it'll be usable on seemingly "obsolete" tech, meaning W10 will be literally fucking obsolete. Again.

And like I said, MS has never made a single noteworthy or worthwhile game, that would get me switch to Botnet10 and start using their shitty systems.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.