[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Display thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: Close-up-[1].png (242KB, 329x334px) Image search: [Google]
Close-up-[1].png
242KB, 329x334px
Instead of rgb colors display is there an all colors led display? Even better if one led (without rgb colors) can reproduce all colors?
>>
File: sharp_quattron.jpg (129KB, 498x343px) Image search: [Google]
sharp_quattron.jpg
129KB, 498x343px
>>55227160
>>
>>55227160
>reproduce all colors
You need like six LEDs per pixel to get 99%. Modern monitors have 3 and only >>55227210 has even attempted 4
>>
>>55227210
>RGBY
>Not RGBYWB...
>>
>>55227160
>one led (without rgb colors) can reproduce all colors
yeah, its called liquid crystal over backlight aka LCD
>>
File: Pixel_geometry_01_Pengo[1].jpg (195KB, 1100x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Pixel_geometry_01_Pengo[1].jpg
195KB, 1100x1100px
>>55227238
>liquid crystal
Same shit.

Is 2016 and not have that technology yet.
>>
>>55227210
That was so fucking useless. No clue what Sharp was thinking with that one.
>>
File: 903px-CIExy1931_Rec_2020.svg.png (244KB, 903x1024px) Image search: [Google]
903px-CIExy1931_Rec_2020.svg.png
244KB, 903x1024px
How many more colors do you want?
>>
>>55227160
A LED? Hard. Band gap characteristics means you can only do some wavelengths.

Rec.2020 is possible with LEDs, however, which gets quite a long way there.

I suppose if we had four LEDs with spectra which closely approximated the rod/cone responses, we could do pretty well, but not all humans have quite the same responses (e.g. a few women have tetrachromacy, although they may not realise - how would you know?).

If you really want to do perfect colour reproduction, the only way I can think of with current tech is some kind of projector using a tunable laser. Could you do that in solid state across the whole range? Tricky.
>>
>>55227303
Its called increasing color gamut through cost effective means.
If you knew anything about displays you wouldn't have made that post.
>>
>>55227376
>Color researchers at Queen Mary University of London investigated the Quattron technology and found that although Quattron does have four physical color sub-pixels it does not have a fourth primary in the backlight to drive it (yellow is approximately 575 nm). In other words, Quattron has a yellow sub-pixel to let light through, but the manufacturer has not made any provision to produce the yellow light needed to pass through it. (The yellow subpixel merely lets through more red and green light.) On that basis they conclude that it serves no useful function.[11]
topkek

In other words: marketing
>>
>>55227210
>>55227274
Why are LCD pixels elongated in one direction and not squares (or circles)?
>>
>>55227356
Why is the color space that the monitor can represent always a triangle? I have never seen one of these graphs where the monitor has a curved edge. If the color space has curved edges to represent more colors, why wouldn't any monitor also have curved edges to encompass a larger color space? They're always perfect triangles.
>>
>>55227370
Thanks for the information. Is there any prototype?
>>
>>55227444
The pixels in those images are square

Maybe you need to get your eyes tested?
>>
>>55227496
because 3 colours?
>>
A pixel contain rgb colors?
>>
>>55227496
it can't be curved because the resulting color is always a linear combination of the 3 base colors.
>>
>>55227496
>Why is the color space that the monitor can represent always a triangle?
Because they use three colors to recreate light (red, green and blue - the corners of the triangle are the three primary colors that the display can reproduce)

If you have a set number of points in the xy color diagram, you can obtain every color in between them by mixing them together. (So if you only had red and blue, you could produce blue, purple, pink, magenta and red - basically everything along the bottom edge of the triangle)

It also doesn't matter to our perception how exactly you arrive at the color you want. For example, the white dot in the middle marked ‘D65’ could be obtained by mixing blue and yellow. Or by cyan and red. Or by magenta and green. Or by mixing 460 nm and 570nm. Or by mixing 700nm and ~493nm.
>>
>>55227522
A pixel is composed by three LEDs then?
>>
>>55227651
>LEDs
I don't think those are what you think they are, anon
>>
>>55227687
Thanks for being vague and not answering any of my questions properly. Much appreciated.
>>
>>55227738
they are not
>>
>>55227651
no, you have a backlight composed of white LEDs (nowadays mostly) which have a spectrum encompassing the 3 base colors. Every pixel is made up of 3 liquid crystal subpixels (control the brightness) with color filters in front of them which only let light of a very narrow frequency pass through. That's why you get three corners >>55227356
>>
>>55227780
It's also important to note that most displays are edge-lit, so the actual LEDs are only around the display - not behind it
>>
>>55227549
>>55227573
>>55227597
Thanks nerds. -1 toxicity point from the board
>>
>>55227816
true.
much of the weight of an LCD monitor comes from the thick light distributor plate behind the panel
>>
>>55227818
tumblr redditard please fuck off
>>
>>55227515
Not one I know of. The Ti-sapphire I've used is big and goes from red down to infrared (and you do NOT want to look at an infrared laser).

I think it might be possible, therefore, but I'm not familiar enough with the field to know what specific kind of apparatus you'd use - or whether you'd be able to miniaturise it, let alone make it cost-effective!
>>
File: hurrrr.png (27KB, 1020x680px) Image search: [Google]
hurrrr.png
27KB, 1020x680px
What comes after OLED?
>>
>>55228424
pooLED
>>
smells like summer in here
>>
>>55227160
Color changing LEDs are basically just a really large pixel, so no, also you are retarded, also use google for this shit, also fuck gentoo
>>
I wish HSV or HSL display were possible
>>
File: human-vs-mantis.jpg (614KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
human-vs-mantis.jpg
614KB, 1600x1200px
>>55227160
>is there an all colors led display
But we can't see all colors
RGB display is the best way to make display for humans because our eyes are RGB
>>
Why are you goys talking about outdated 30+yr old outdated tech. Bow to your new masters

http://www.oled-info.com/super-amoled

http://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/oled-tv
>>
>>55229403
>our eyes are RGB
not really
>>
>>55229340
?
>>
File: Picture-on-Glass.jpg (72KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Picture-on-Glass.jpg
72KB, 1600x800px
>>55229558
>>
>>55229602
well RGB + luminance in the dark

>>55229614
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV
>>
>>55229703
>well RGB + luminance in the dark
No. Our recepters aren't “red, green and blue”. Just stop pushing that myth

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV
this article doesn't have a section on explaining what the fuck your comment is supposed to mean

maybe you should just stop posting
>>
>>55229725
>maybe you should just stop posting
maybe, It's 1AM here
bye
>>
>>55227569
Yes
>>
File: Nexus_one_screen_microscope.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Nexus_one_screen_microscope.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>55227738
You could've found this information quick by yourself but most modern color displays use three color channels in equal amount of each to make up a single pixel. Pic related is an exception, a pentile subpixel arrangement.

In consumer technology, only OLED displays actually use LEDs to create colors and light. Most LCD displays nowadays use LEDs as a backlight to illuminate the TFT matrix(TN, VA, IPS-type etc). Plasma screens use small gas cells charged with electricity to create colors and light. CRT displays are quite different and draw(scan) the image on a screen using a targeted electron beam.
>>
>>55229403
I can see orange color, brown color, etc.
>>
>>55227370
>I suppose if we had four LEDs with spectra which closely approximated the rod/cone responses
Rods do not contribute in any way to color perception.
We *do* have LEDs that approximate the cone responses. They're called Red, Green and Blue.
>>
>>55227573
Well, it can be if the response is nonlinear, the primaries aren't stable, or most commonly, if black isn't perfect black. Nonperfect blacks strictly produce a hexagon, though it still looks mostly like a triangle in practice.
>>
>>55227780
>you have a backlight composed of white LEDs (nowadays mostly)
There's more than one kind of white LEDs, and the LEDs use in good backlights are component phosphor, meaning they don't pout out a broad-spectrum white. They use a blue pump to drive fairly narrowband red and green phosphors.
>>
>>55229725
>No. Our recepters aren't “red, green and blue”
They pretty much are. They're not narrowband. In what way do you say they're not?
>>
>>55229403
>tfw printer ink is colorless
>>
>>55228424
Quantum Dots.
And then maybe someone will resurrect the ghost of SED and/or FED
>>
>>55228424
The same image that the OLED screen was displaying, since it burns in.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.