[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FUCK THIS FUCKING GUY AND PULSEAUDIO REEEEEEE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (49KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 500x320px
If I had a bullet I would kill this fucking NSA cock-sucking faggot.

Who the FUCK thought pulseaudio was a better idea than alsa? Just fuck these hacks. Back to slackware I go.

Oh wait, slackware now has pulseaudio, too!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>55225753
why do you hate women?
>>
>>55225753
You can still install ALSA and remove pulse. If it helps, funtoo has a -pulseaudio USE flag.
>>
>>55225780
Doesn't mean it's not going to go full retard in a couple of years
>>
>>55225753
It's free software, don't like it? Make your own better version, no one is stopping you.
>>
>>55225788
Funtoo in particular is pretty anti-systemd, and very pro-choice. ALSA is also still not dead last I checked, and there's also JACK. Things will probably be fine.
>>
>>55225856
sure thing, faggot
>>
That pretty much epitomizes why desktop Linux is such a clusterfuck.
>Everything has 3 shitty choices instead of 1 well-designed one
>sure, it sucks for users, but at least neckbeards can argue about which shit is least shitty on the internet
>Also, open sores, so unless you write your own shitty 4th choice for free, you have no right to complain about how shitty the others are
>>
>>55225753
It was better than alsa but it wasn't better than putting a decent audio interface in the kernel

RIP high quality/low latency audio on linux

>but look at all these features nobody ever fucking uses pulse is so functional
>>
>>55225753
I honestly agree, ALSA is MUCH better than fucking shitty Pulseaudio, much better latency and quality with ALSA. Also Systemd caused my computer to not boot yesterday and reinstall my whole entire fucking OS so I'm with you
>>
If you don't like it, don't use it, or change it. It's all open source.

He (or Redhat) does not owe shit to you.

SystemD is actually unifying the clusterfuck that is the Linux ecosystem. It works pretty damn well. It's not perfect, but it's much better than SysV init.
>>
>>55226053
You had to reinstall your whole OS because of SystemD? Sounds like you are pretty retarded. Why not just boot into single user mode and fix whatever's wrong?

Lemme guess, you are running a broken, inconsistent Arch system. The failure is you, not SystemD.
>>
>>55226053
>my hardware is shit and/or my configuration is completely fucked
>>
>>55226075
no it was a minimal debian, it was a DBus problem
>>
>>55226080
nah my hardware requires no proprietary shit and infact runs libreboot and all I own are two thinkpads so hardware isnt the problem here ;)
>>
>>55226108
>admitting that PEBCAK
>>
I've never had any issues with Pulseaudio.
>>
>>55226131
what the fuck is a PEBCAK you fucking NEET
>>
>>55226138
That's because you're 12

>>55226080
>he buys the new backdoored hardware to play his eb sjw gaymes
>>
>>55225753
It works most of the time though.
>>
>>55226160
see
>>55226108
>>
>>55226146
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/PEBCAK
>>
>>55226146
>a PEBCAK
>>
>>55226164
yeah, enjoey getting your ears raped when it suddenly moves the audio volume to 100
>>
>>55226202
I'll admit, this has happened to me.
>>
>slackware now has pulseaudio, too!
blame bluez shit for that
>>
>>55226202
That's one toggle away.
Regardless, pulseaudio is rubbish and broke my OS before.
>>
>>55226160
>That's because you're 12
Pretty sure it's because I don't intentionally screw up my system.
>>
>>55226202
not to mention shitty garbled up sound compared to ALSA which is giving you pure, powerful sound.
>>
>claims to hate hacks without citing them
>uses dmix which is a hack itself
>>
>>55226053

>much better latency and quality with ALSA
>better quality

Do you have any data to back that up?
>>
>than alsa
You dont know what the fuck you're talking about. Pulseaudio is a sound server, Alsa and OSS are sound systems.
>>
>>55226202

>i am such an advanced user, but apparently i don't know what configs are

>>55226311

Can you post actual data to back up your claim of "garbled up" and "powerful" sound? Perhaps this >>55226167 thread would be more up your alley.
>>
>>55225753
>Who the FUCK thought pulseaudio was a better idea than alsa? Just fuck these hacks. Back to slackware I go.
Nobody. It is a solution to a problem, but the solution doesn't really improve on the status quo.

Linux audio is perpetually in a world of shit. Personally, I started using PulseAudio a few years ago, and then stopped using it again earlier this year.

ALSA has its kinks but once you set it up it works. PulseAudio doesn't work even after copious amounts of setup.
>>
>>55226375
try it yourself! The community even agrees that ALSA has better latency and doesn't have problems with sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiLrJWQBvtE
also try it out yourself, test it with the same audio file but with Pulseaudio then ALSA on the other and you will noticeably hear a difference
>>
>>55226375
>Do you have any data to back that up?
No he doesn't, since 1. PulseAudio runs on top of ALSA and 2. he's just a weak and pathetic troll.
>>
>>55226439

>also try it out yourself, test it with the same audio file but with Pulseaudio then ALSA on the other and you will noticeably hear a difference

I wouldn't and neither would you. But then again I don't have 10 thousand dollar diamond plated HDMI cables being held up by 500 dollar cable holders made out of mahogany wood to get those creamy mids.
>>
>>55226075
um, no? idk what he did but i used it on arch for some time and it is fairly possible for systemd to do a random crap out of the blue
>>
File: systemd.png (143KB, 640x325px) Image search: [Google]
systemd.png
143KB, 640x325px
>>55225753

Vee haff vays to make yooo use systemd™
>>
>>55226514
>arch
no surprise there
>>
>fuck this guy for making linux useable on the desktop
>>
Pulseaudio, systemd, and dbus are some of the most exciting linux software of the decade and three of the four cornerstones of the modern linux desktop. The fourth one being wayland which isn't quite there yet.
>>
>>55225753
I feel the same OP, Jack is way better (inb4 resource heavy).
Or one is a noob and you get fucked by the retard configuration, or you have experience and move to a pulseaudio-free distro.
>>
>>55226709
I can understand being excited by systemd but dbus seems like a massive pile of bloated shite and pulseaudio is just nonfunctional “daemon 2.0” garbage.

The whole “let's have random applications autostart daemons” thing is what makes pulseaudio so shitty, alongside all of the “smart logic” causing the playback experience to be almost entirely unpredictable.

If you don't specifically need pulseaudio's features (and chances are, you don't), it's better off avoided IMO.

Then again, I also think wayland is a big pile of shit that doesn't really improve on the status quo. (Some things are better than X, some things are worse than X)
>>
>>55226767
>If you don't specifically need pulseaudio's features (and chances are, you don't)
But I do.
>>
>>55226800
Which PulseAudio feature do you need?
>>
>>55226545
you seem to have issues with it and you're right it's totaly it, not systemd
>>
>>55226826
Muting programs.
>>
>>55226842
Don't they have their own volume control?
>>
>>55226871
Which cannot be controlled programmatically.
>>
>>55226013
Man I don't get what you're saying.

>K Project
>Amarok, Clementine
>Libreoffice, Kile
>Dolphin, Konqueror
>urxvt
>ncmpcpp
>???
>>
>>55226883
>>55226842
http://alsa.opensrc.org/Softvol

Problem solved, next?
>>
>>55226907
Next I just install PA instead of hacking up ALSA.
>>
>>55226925
Feel free to do whatever the hell you want. I used to be in your shoes, then I got fed up by PulseAudio's constant breakage and decided to get rid of it.

Pick your poison, but don't try to claim ALSA can't natively do what 90% of what PulseAudio can
>>
>>55226962
>PulseAudio's constant breakage
can't reproduce
>>
>>55226986
try turning on SELinux or randomly connecting and disconnecting devices without dbus
>>
>>55227077
>SELinux
arch doesn't support selinux
>without dbus
I use dbus so that's not an issue for me.
>>
>>55226146
It's a computer science acronym for problem exists because keyboard and chair. Basically it means the user is at fault so its a humor acronym.
>>
>>55227095
Well, good for you. I hope something else breaks in your system.
>>
>>55227095
>arch doesn't support selinux
Now we know why the retards in /g/ use this turd distro.
>>
>>55226986
>>55227077
more pulseaudio breakage:

dynamic latency (aka pulseaudio's “killer feature”) breaks pretty much every application (seek overlaps, bad audio sync due to inconsistent latency measurements, etc.)

problem mysteriously fixed itself whenever I had the pulseaudio mixer open. (Because it turns out, the mixer's “monitor signal level” widget forced the stream into low latency mode)

Solution: hard-code low latency mode and don't let pulseaudio try and be smart

More pulseaudio problems: playing multiple files in mpv will reset the volume on every file played if and only if a VoIP program is running. Yeah, go figure that one out.

The entire thing is just full of “features for features' sake” which are all on-by-default and cause lots of breakage and headaches. ALSA is more like “configure it once, use the same configuration forever”.

There's no dynamic rate switching, dynamic volume adjustment, dynamic stream allocation, dynamic latency adjustment, dynamic daemon spawning or any other form of dynamic bullshit. In exchange, it actually works stably once set up.
>>
>>55227276
between
>>
>>55225753
4chan: crybaby world elite

If you're having troubles using it, don't use it, you faggot

or if you know what is broken, try to fix it, but maybe your anime infested "brain" is too small for this
>>
>>55227276
>It's a computer science acronym for problem exists because keyboard and chair. Basically it means the user is at fault so its a humor acronym.

He said PEBCAK.
>problem exists between ceyboard and khair
>>
What's wrong with pulseaudio? It just werks(tm)
>>
Ever since PulseAudio became the norm, people program their audio support more sloppily, causing segfaults if you use vanilla ALSA instead of the PulseAudio server.
>>
>>55228465
My main problems were with Discord and Spotify, they both have fixes on their way though.
>>
>>55228535
>using Discord and Spotify
>on linux
might as well go full botnet and install Winblows
>>
>>55226375
>>55226443
Not the guy, pulse tends to fuck up the sound of wine software, also it didn't work for me for audacity while alsa worked fine.
>>
Does anyone know how sound works on GNU HURD? Does it use ALSA or Pulse?
>>
Why is Alsa better than PulseAudio. Alsa is so shit on my laptop. After I instaed PulseAudio, the sound just worked. When I used Alsa, I had to configure Dmix. Now I don't need that. Also, the sound quality is amazing with Pulse, Alsa gives me flat sound. Believe what you want, but PulseAudio is so amazing.
>>
>>55225753
Did you know that Pulseaudio requires ALSA? You cannot run Pulseaudio without ALSA.
>>
>>55230282
The sound quality shouldn't be affected by PA. Your descriptions sounds like an occurrence of the placebo effect.
>>
>>55229846

Last I heard sound was one of the many missing features of hurd.
>>
>>55230324
I swear the sound is much better. Let me explain : I used Alsa for a long time because PulseAudio was killed by firejail and I thought PulseAudio was broken or something like that. Then one day I reinstalled Arch and I gave PulseAudio another chance (firejail was not installed). Man, I had a surprise. The audio quality was so good. I wanted to achieve the same thing in Windows after that and I couldn't, the audio on Windows is trash, one of the reasons I can't enjoy Windows.
>>
>>55229846
Neither. At the moment, they're using a "rump kernel" and audio drivers that target this specific rump kernel.
>>
>>55226055
>systemd is an init system
>systemd is not an OS

Hello NSA
>>
>>55230364
In that case, I'd imagine that the audio drivers in Windows was poor, the ALSA configuration in Arch was poor and that PA managed to configure ALSA correctly for your system. Remember that PA is dependent upon ALSA to work.
>>
>>55230375
Systemd is a system management system and is definitely OS software.
>>
>>55230375
WE ARE NOT MONITORING THIS THREAD PLEASE TURN ON SELINUX FOR SECURITY
>>
>>55230409
I think you are right. Also yes, I know ALSA is essential for PulseAudio, there is a package named pulseaudio-alsa that do the config for me. Have a nice day! :)
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.