[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 29

File: 1442400754506.jpg (31KB, 376x499px) Image search: [Google]
1442400754506.jpg
31KB, 376x499px
Previously on: >>55148284

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

WEB: http://fglt.nl/
IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org
>>
first for SATYA NUTELLA
>>
First for stop bullying arch users.
>>
First for Arch users not bullying other distro users.
>>
>>55164437
When does this happen
>>
File: ubuntuovh1.png (97KB, 624x819px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntuovh1.png
97KB, 624x819px
thought on this story ?
https://twitter.com/olesovhcom/status/744611505140797440
>>
File: ubuntuovh2.png (63KB, 586x396px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntuovh2.png
63KB, 586x396px
>>55164490
>>
>>55164459
You haven't been here long, have you?
>>
I don't know how to install a tarball or whatever it is they're called.

Should I learn how to install Arch Linux or just go with Manjaro?
>>
Have any of you tried going purely free software on your desktop? What are some good leisure websites to replace 4chan, youtube, reddit, etc.? I know there's always IRC, lwn, mailing lists, and RSS feeds. I heard Richard Stallman say youtube is possible, but I think you need the exact URL of the video.
>>
>>55164527
90% of all distros, incl. Arch and Manjaro use package managers to install programs.
>>
>>55164527
If you want to use Arch but think partitioning your hard drive and installing a bootloader is too hard, use architect or archboot rather than manjaro.
>>
>>55164571
Youtube? HTML5 or mpv with youtube-dl.
Plebbit? There are sites like gnusocial, quitter, etc
>>
>>55164571
I'd love to get rid of p7zip-rar. Literally the last bad boy here. Uninstalled flash some months ago and don't feel any difference. Web is pretty much html5 these days.
>>
Maybe I should put this in another thread, forgive me, but how can Clover be under the GPLv3 if 4chan uses non-free JS?
>>
>>55164619
>>55164709
They already try to implement DRM into HTML5.
>>
In case someone cares.
https://www.defectivebydesign.org/no-drm-in-html5
>>
>>55164490
sane
OVH ships Ubuntu with modifications to work on their system, but continue to call their distribution Ubuntu. This is the basis for the infringement claim.
>>
So what are the distros that "just work"
>>
>>55165131
Obama
Fedoritos
1Man1Jaro
>>
Anyone ever use arch anywhere? can't get it to boot after install.
>>
>>55165271
What boot loader did you install?
>>
>>55165293
grub. At least I was told it was installing grub. Not sure how to verify if it is actually installed.
>>
Do I like Linux?
>>
>>55165271
Why don't you just use the archboot image on their wiki?
>>
>>55165382
Just wanted to try this out. I will probably use that next. I am trying a different bootloader
>>
>>55165318
I can't remember how grub works but you'll have to boot from the live media again, mount, and check the boot entries are correct.

Also make sure you have removed the flash drive/CD, and you are booting to the right place and other sanity checks.

And if you can't be bothered, do this >>55165382
>>
think I'm gonna try claws-mail before thunderbird
>>
EFISTUB?
GRUB?
SYSLINUX UEFI?
Not sure what to use. Does it really matter?
>>
>>55164437
First fot non arch users,booting in to their arch vm and posting screenshots with 2m uptime, shit posting as an arch user, to stir their meme around
>>
>>55165889
grub

>>55165271
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jae/4118-LAST/arch-setup-2015-1.html I followed this guide to install arch.
>>
>>55167306

>2015

Why do you idiots prefer using shitty, outdated, 3rd party installation guides instead of the concise beginner's guide?
What thought process motivates you to do that?

>oh, i could pick this apple of this tree and eat it. no, wait, i'll go to the next city, ask this guy how apples were picked up back then and then pick one up from the ground

Unfortunately I cannot come up with a decent analogy, but I hope the one above is retarded enough to bring the point across.
>>
>>55166498

>opening your web browser and insulting someone stupid on here isn't the first thing he does when firing up his computer

It explains the short uptime.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-06-19_21-52-18.png (317KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-06-19_21-52-18.png
317KB, 1920x1080px
former aarch user here, migrated to manjaro, enjoying my experience, will send post cards.
>>
>>55165271
What happens when you start the machine
>>
File: wth.gif (2MB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
wth.gif
2MB, 236x224px
>>55168857
>Migrating from Arch to Manjaro
literally why
>>
>>55168922

Because with former Arch "user" he meant stumbling around with it for 17 minutes.
>>
>>55168922
because the install process is long as fuck and there's a shit ton of tedious copying into the TTY
>>55169005
no i had a working install that i used for two months, i tried installing FreeBSD and failed to, and i wanted to try something similar but different from arch, i'll probably go back, the logo is cool on manjaro, shit name tho.
>>
>>55169029
git gud
>>
>>55169029

>because the install process is long as fuck and there's a shit ton of tedious copying into the TTY

Because you install Arch every other day, yes.
>>
>>55169051
You aren't? scrub
>>
File: 1462860352384.gif (546KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1462860352384.gif
546KB, 255x255px
>>55169029
The logo of a distro is the most important part.
Everything else is interchangable anyway.
>>
>new qbittorrent out
>arch repository has an older version, flagged out of date 3 months ago

How is that allowed?
>>
>>55169051
i bet you get 2 scoops of vanilla every time.
>>55169046
there was no hope for BSD :/ not for this machine at least, and i need win10 on my desktop. at least till NI supports *nix that is.

i might be able to fake it into thinking its osX
>>
>>55169075
Git compile. It's being tested
>>
>>55169083
>implying
>>
>>55169079
2bh it all depends on what you want to do with your PC
>>
>>55169079
>need
>>
>>55169083

My custom PKGBUILDs are piling up, this isn't nice. I think the maintainer is dead or something.
Why is it so hard to just change a digit in a file? It's not like the new versions require any other modifications. Other packages suffer from this too, Nomacs for example.
>>
>>55169127
when you have almost $3,000 in software that is dependent on windows, you run windows. there's no linux equivalent. and yes, its for my job.
>>
What is the best distro?
>>
>>55169180

Berry Linux.
>>
>>55169176
I see, gaming.
>>
>>55162440
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/210331/upgrading-kde-4-to-5-on-debian
It should be KDE 5.
I went to sleep, but just in case.
>>
>>55169194
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-10-ultimate/
ive been with them since version 6. Show me a DAW that's fucking worthy of this in linux, there isnt any. Using linux on my shit poster isnt enough for you is it? i have to impair my livliehood too?
>>
Reposting from the last thread.

I have a laptop with a somewhat older AMD GPU using the open source driver on Ubuntu, and I'm trying to watch a 720p50 h.264 video file and after a minute or two it just turns into a slideshow, using either VLC or mpv. I've tried all the hardware decoding options in VLC, including disabling it, but nothing helps.

Is there anything I can do to improve my video decoding performance, or am I doomed to have to boot into Windows to watch movies?
>>
>>55169202
There's no reason for shaming.
Many people enjoy games.
>>
>>55169230

Which GPU and CPU is it exactly?
I can watch HD content perfectly fine on a CPU from 2007 (AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+). I doubt yours is worse than that.
>>
>>55169231
you're an idiot.
>>
>>55169263
>friendly thread
>>
>>55169202

>justifying yourself anonymously on an anonymous image based internet forum

First of all, where can I unsubscribe from your blog. Secondly, why are you so [insert word which describes you other than stupid, because my vocabulary isn't good enough to insult your properly]?
>>
>>55169272
>>55169269
>implying :^)
>>
>>55169254
CPU: i5-2430M
GPU: Radeon HD 6870M (I mentioned that it's older because I can't use the proprietary drivers, not because it's particularly bad.)

This combo should be (and is, on Windows) more than capable of playing any h.264 file I care to throw at it, but for whatever reason it's really struggling on Ubuntu. I'm hoping it's just some screwed up configuration, because otherwise I'll have to go back to Windows until I can afford a new laptop.
>>
>>55169330

It is most definitely something wrong with your configuration. I can play those files perfectly fine on the above mentioned CPU and even on my laptop with an i5-540M.

Have you tried a different video player? Try mpv, either directly or use one of its GUI frontends like baka mplayer or SMplayer.
>>
is it normal to only see a fraction of the memory available on virtualbox?

have a 7950, so probably an amd thing.
>>
>>55169443
I've tried Totem, VLC, SMPlayer, and mpv. VLC and mpv were the only ones that could even play the file without really bad tearing (SMPlayer uses mpv as a backend, right? Why does it exhibit tearing while mpv doesn't?).
>>
>>55169443
>>55169230

Nerver mind, I missed the "mpv" hiding after the VLC mention.
>>
>>55164709
How do you enjoy being totally inefficient just for the sake of being a special snowflake?
>>
File: 1466382275546[1].jpg (60KB, 1600x880px) Image search: [Google]
1466382275546[1].jpg
60KB, 1600x880px
how do I get lightdm to look more like breeze? where can I browse lightdm themes?
>>
>>55169821
Options, login screen
>>
>>55169821

LightDM has no themes. It's the greeters which have themes.
The GTK greeter uses your GTK theme and it can be further themed with additional, specific CSS tweaks. Most proper GTK themes ship with LigthDM-GTK-Greeter themes: Zuki-themes, Arc, Numix, Greybird. Check if the Breeze GTK theme has a LightDM-GTK-Greeter theme.

You can also use the webkit greeter and use HTML/CSS to theme it.

Or just install SDDM and enjoy this beautiful login theme >>55164260
>>
>>55164336
is there a way to disable suspend when my laptop is docked with the lid closed? i wanna use the computer with external monitors while it's docked but still have it suspend when it's off the dock. i'm on linux mint 17.3
>>
>>55169921
You don't have to pretend you know what you're talking about, newfriend
>>
>>55169230 here.
Turns out it seems to only be a problem when the video is fullscreened. When windowed, the performance is significantly better. Is that a common issue, and is there a way to fix it?
>>
What are people's thoughts on KDE vs Xfce vs Cinnamon? I asked for suggestions last thread for what DE I should use for my first real foray into Linux, after using Windows 7, and I got a bunch of suggestions. After looking into it more, it sounds like these three are the main ones that interest me. KDE being king and having a pretty familiar feeling layout to it is a solid choice, but I know it's also going to be more bloated than the others, although that's not really a huge factor given that everything is going to be less bloated than my previous installation. I remember hearing about something about KDE's Qt being proprietary or something, which is no bueno. Cinnamon looks great, and it sounds really full featured and will supported, but from what I read, it sounds like it's based on GNOME 3, which took the UI in a totally different, not the UK I've used for 20 years direction, and I don't know if that's something that would show up in Cinnamon as well. Xfce is tiny and looks like a pretty standard UI, has minimal load, and it's been around as a solid choice for fucking ages, so you just really can't go wrong there.

What's everyone's opinions on the three? This will be on Debian.
>>
>>55170167
just try them all and see which one works for you.

my favorite right now is cinnamon. i usually just install xubuntu and use xfce but i ran into a bunch of bugs with 16.04 plus the xfce devs arent really working on it so i switched to mint for now and it's not too bad. although cinnamon was made for mint so it may be buggier on other distros.

every every time i tried kde in the past i ran into bugs so i havent used it for any extensive amount of time.

if you decide to use xfce you'll need to install the compton compositor though otherwise you'll get tons of screen tearing
>>
>>55170167
Cinnamon will probably feel the most familiar to a long-time Windows user. Xfce is a solid choice but you might find it a little bit ghetto. I have mixed feelings about KDE; it's nicely designed and highly configurable, but can be buggy and behave oddly in small but infuriating ways (don't worry about Qt though, it's LGPL). I'd also suggest MATE as sort of a middle ground between Cinnamon and Xfce.

Really, as a first-timer you should probably just try all of the major DEs and just see what feels comfortable to you. It's all about personal preference. Some people even like GNOME 3, even though I think it's an unholy abomination.
>>
>>55170167
Go for i3. Witness freedom frombloat
>>
>>55170369
>Witness freedom frombloat
dwm is the bloatless WM though.
>>
File: 1433871335607.gif (2MB, 350x258px) Image search: [Google]
1433871335607.gif
2MB, 350x258px
How come some of you guys can use OpenBox without using any DE? I'm on Debian with LxDE using OpenBox, but when I start Openbox by itself without DE I can't do shit.
>>
>>55170167
I personally use xfce but I haven't used the other. If you're not a ricefag but want decent customization then this is a good choice. It's lightweight has a lot of support. I don't think I need to change anytime soon.
>>
>>55170440

No one uses Openbox or any window manager "without a DE". Once you install all those tiny utilities alongside it, like a file manager, taskbar, wallpaper setter, notification daemons, settings programs, etc, you're using a desktop environment. Even a window manager along by itself is still a desktop environment from the user interface point of view.
>>
>>55170294
>>55170298
The fact that you both reference KDE being buggy certainly doesn't bode well. Can I install, configure, and switch between different DEs easily, or is it a pain? It's sounding like it'll come down to Xfce vs Cinnamon, if KDE is buggy. MATE came up in the last thread, but the way it was described when I was reading up on it made it sound less like a serious, well maintained DE, and more like a side project for couple of devs who hate change. Is it a serious force in the DE market, or more of an afterthought that's really only relevant when a user wants a Windows-esqe UI?
>>55170369
I'm switching from Windows. Everything already seems less bloated. Skipping the DE in favor of only a WM is taking things a bit too far for my taste.
>>
>>55170636

Hint: desktop environments like KDE, Cinnamn or Xfce have window managers (WMs) too.
>>
>>55170167
KDE is the best DE if you have a decent hardware. Otherwise go with either Xfce (ugly) or Cinnamon (Best gtk-DE)
>>
>>55170636
Switching DEs is easy; it's just a setting in your display manager that you choose when you log in.

MATE is a very popular DE. It's is a continuation of GNOME 2, which was the most popular DE by a large margin until GNOME 3 fucked everything up. It's being actively developed and I believe the port to GTK3 is now essentially complete. If anything, it's more of an active project than Xfce is.
>>
>>55169180
>best distro
Distros are like religions. The best one is always the one your parents force into you since you're born.
>>
I know many of you use Arch.

after 5 years of doing the job myself im tired of the build process. is there any better AUR helper than that shit of Yaourt?
>>
>>55170934
What's wrong with yaourt? What's wrong with packer?
>>
Can someone help me getting steam up on Arch?

running steam gets me
/home/paddy/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 161: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
Running Steam on arch 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)

and ldd ~/.steam/bin/steam has

linux-gate.so.1 (0xf773b000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6 (0xf75bf000)
librt.so.1 => /usr/lib32/librt.so.1 (0xf75b6000)
libm.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf7561000)
libdl.so.2 => /usr/lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf755c000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf73db000)
libpthread.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf73be000)
libc.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7209000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libxcb.so.1 (0xf71de000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf773d000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf71c3000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXau.so.6 (0xf71be000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xf71b7000)
>>
>>55170440
Why can't you do shit? doesn't obmenu work?
>>
hey guys, i'm relatively new to gnu/linux and i'm about to do a netinstall of debian 8.0, i had a couple question about partitioning, is there some resource about it? I want do to an home and a swap partition and not sure how to do it
>>
>>55171037
Partitioning is very subjective, and there are many ways you could do it, depending on your needs.
>is there some resource about it?
You could probably find a few things on Google about it, but again: it will be very subjective and use-case dependent.
>I want do to an home and a swap partition and not sure how to do it
You don't know what sizes you should make it, or you don't know how to actually use a program to do it?
>>
What distro to use on a server? They're all shit

Right now I'm running Gentoo Hardened with SELinux because it's basically the only thing offering some semblance of security, but the slow compile times are really annoying on a virtual machine. It also doesn't really support unattended / automatic upgrades for security fixes.

I'd love to switch to some distro that lets me make a minimal hardened config, supports unattended upgrades in a stable way, and packages a useful number of packages (e.g. teamspeak server)
>>
>>55171155
I use CentOS for my home server.
It's nice.
>>
>>55171147
>You don't know what sizes you should make it, or you don't know how to actually use a program to do it?
What size, if there's a specific format, and general information about how many types of partitions you can/should do.

I'm assuming there's an utility during the install to make them, am i wrong?
>>
>>55169330
>>55170155
Me again.

Okay, I've narrowed the problem down further. It only occurs when I have my second monitor hooked up. With it disconnected, video plays smoothly and the laptop stays a lot cooler. I suppose I can work around the problem by disconnecting my second monitor whenever I want to watch movies, but that's hardly ideal.

Anyone have any ideas for things to try?
>>
>>55171195
CentOS configuration is insane and I doubt it packages weird stuff like teamspeak server in the way gentoo does :/
>>
>>55171226
>What size
Again, it depends on so many things, but I'll try to give a somewhat "safe" suggestion.

For a simple desktop-use install (on a single drive), it's pretty common to go for a 3 partition setup: one for / (rootfs), one for /home and one for swap.
/ usually won't need a huge amount of space. You can be safe with about 20GiB, maybe a little more if you want some extra headroom.

Swap size is usually based on how much RAM you have. You'll hear all sorts of things online about half your RAM, or equal to RAM, or whatever.
With the size of memory you get these days, swap is far less important than it used to be. Ideally, you shouldn't be using swap at all. I have 8GB of RAM and no swap partition.
If you're going to run very memory intensive things, or need high reliability (like on a server), you're going to want some swap, in case you actually run out of memory and don't want to face the OOM killer. Half your RAM is probably safe here.
However, there is a special use case: if you want to be able to "hibernate" your computer. You will need swap at least at big as your RAM to be able to hibernate (to disk). If you're doing this is a desktop, you don't need to be able to hibernate, since you'll have a constant power connection; "suspend" (to RAM) is good enough.

There are a few other things you may consider making it's own partition for, such as /var, but it's not super important for normal desktop users. It's more a server thing.

Other than that, just make the rest of unused space for /home.
>>
>>55171364
okay, you cleared most of the thing for me, thanks, but one last question:
>For a simple desktop-use install (on a single drive)
does having 2 drives change things a lot?
>>
>>55171364
If it helps, here's a `du -x /*` on my system: (boring entries removed)

11M     /bin
262M /boot
66G /home
5M /lib32
563M /lib64
1.6G /opt
16M /sbin
23G /usr
3.6G /var

so to summarize, I needed about 28 GB for my /. To feel safe I would go up to at least 40 GB for your / partition, rest for /home.

Although note that personally I don't see much of a point in a separate /home unless you enjoy distrohopping.
>>
>>55171426
Assuming a case with one small drive and one large drive (e.g. SSD + HDD):
Move /home to the HDD and have / fill up most of the SSD.

If you really want /home on the SSD (so you can have quick access to file you use commonly use), so the same as before, and then create a partition (or several partitions) on the hard drive and just mount them where you think it's appropriate.
I have /home on my SSD, and /home/user/Videos, /home/user/Music, etc. as partitions on a different drive.
>>
>>55171468
Nah, use the SSD as a bcache for the HDD
>>
>>55171468
I have /, /usr, /boot, /home as part of a single FS (256 GB SSD RAID), only one partition. (No swap partition at all)

For bulk files, I have a separate “large media” FS (I call it /y, since I named the FS “yggdrasil” - I'm very creative) and then symlinks from ~/movies -> /y/media/movies, ~/music -> /y/media/music and so on.
>>
running virtualbox on my ubuntu server and have some questions regarding permissions.

I run virtualbox in SSH by simply typing virtualbox into the command line but that doesn't allow me to update my extension.

When I use sudo virtualbox I get to install the extension but none of the VMs show up and when I start virtualbox regularly the old extension is still installed.

Wat do?
>>
>>55171467
>Although note that personally I don't see much of a point in a separate /home unless you enjoy distrohopping.
I was lying in my other posts, I use btrfs subvolumes, not partitions. Having everything separate makes backing things up and keeping them organised easier.
I can back up /home without having to backup much more unimportant shit like /var.
>>
>>55171468
okay, they're both hdd but one of them is indeed smaller than the other one, also ram is 4gb, so could i do something like this ?
/home on the larger hdd
/ some of the smaller hdd
no swap
>>
>>55171562
I'm not sure if the debian installer actually allows you to have no swap.
>>
>>55171560
I use btrfs subvolumes too, for backup purposes mainly (so I can have snapshots of /home and / separately)
>>
I've been using Ubuntu for a bit, and really like it but hate how huge the sidebar thing is.
I tried Xubuntu, but got major screen tearing with just scrolling and watching videos.
Would Ubuntu Gnome be a good alternative for me?
>>
>>55171673
install compton compositor to fix the tearing. xfce is basically unusable without it
>>
>>55171673
Try Ubuntu MATE.

(Though just to make sure... you realize you can resize the sidebar, right?)
>>
>>55171605
Somewhat unrelated to your point, but damn btrfs is great.
>Make snapshot
>Send only the difference from the last snapshot using "btrfs receive"
>Super easy incremental backups

>Add drive to computer
>btrfs device add
>btrfs balance start
>Drives are now used equally with absolutely no fuss with new partitioning and changing mount points
>Can even change between RAID levels this easily
>>
>>55171723
That's bretty neat desu. Might have to look into migrating.

I'm using rsnapshot on ext4 right now but all that fuckload of symlinking seems messy.
>>
>>55171720
>(Though just to make sure... you realize you can resize the sidebar, right?)
I feel like an idiot. Time to install Ubuntu again, and check that out.
>>55171700
I'll do this if I install Xubuntu again.

Thanks, guys.
>>
>>55171761
It's under Appearance -> Launcher icon size. It's kind of tucked off in the corner so it's understandable how you might've missed it.

I set mine to 26 because on a 16:9 monitor, it makes it so the content area of full-screen programs is exactly 16:9, which is satisfying to my autism.
>>
>>55171824
>full-screen program
I meant maximized windows.
>>
>>55171236
Have you considered using the proprietary driver?

I know everybody here is free as in freedick, but it might help out. My 6 year old GeForce was running like dog shit on the open source driver, so I switched to the proprietary, and after tinkering with the settings and a few reboots, has been working beautifully.
>>
>>55171909
>Have you considered using the proprietary driver?
Shit, man, I would if I could. Problem is AMD dropped support for fglrx, the old fglrx doesn't work with new X.org, and the newer amdgpu blobs only work with newer GCN-based chips. Which means I'm fucked until I buy a new laptop; it's open-source or nothing. And be assured it won't be an AMD laptop next time.
>>
File: 1466007651328-fs8.png (7KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
1466007651328-fs8.png
7KB, 120x120px
i transfer files between 2 computers using ssh.

is the transfer speed betwwen the computers, in my case, 2.0 MB/s, affected by my overall internet speed?
>>
>>55171723
until it breaks and takes your system down or makes your backups unreadable
>>
>>55172043
>>>/g/sqt/

Transfer speed is affected by the slowest hop in the path. Try a ‘traceroute’ to see what hops your connection is going through.
>>
>>55172043
SSH actually has some pretty big problems with overall throughput. On a gigabit LAN connection, I was only getting 8-10 MB/s. By using a more simple "protocol" (I literally just pushed the file over using netcat), I was able to get up to the expected 100+MB/s. There is a version of the SSH client/server that tries to make it faster but I haven't used it.

I'm not even sure if that was what you were asking.

>>55172063
It's not kernel 3.0 anymore. btrfs has matured a lot.
>>
>>55172086
>It's not kernel 3.0 anymore. btrfs has matured a lot.
The most used code paths have matured, but at the same time they're also pumping out new, buggy code paths on a regular basis.

While I haven't had many problems personally, I still had more than 0. (For example, my system crashed this morning while remounting a btrfs /; and the other day I ran into the “no space left on device”metadata reclamation bug, on kernel 4.5)
>>
>>55172086
i transfer files between 2 computers using ssh, both running GNU/Linux.

for example, transferring a movie from my computer to another.

but this is slow as hell.

should i use netcat?
>>
>>55172086
>btrfs has matured a lot.
So is raid6 with per-subvolume quotas and deduplication stable yet?

(I've managed to corrupt btrfs snapshots on recent kernels from running dedup tools)
>>
>>55172123
>should i use netcat?
netcat is extremely primitive. It's literally just pushing raw data over the network.
netcat -l 1234 < my_big_file

netcat other_computer 1234 > my_big_file

You could try another protocol instead of SFTP, and see if that works better, but using netcat to push massive files around on a local network is viable.
You could also use tar to do several files at once, and maybe use pv if you want a progress bar.
>>
Hey.
A website i use got hacked recently and now require password reset. The domain they are under is pointed to a raspberry pi in my friends apartment, but i have ssh access.
I followed a guide and successfully installed a mail server so that i could recieve a pw-reset-mail for another service a while ago.

Anyway. Is there a way to forward all incoming mail to a specific inbox? As it is now i have to create new users for every email address and i'd rather not. Is there a way to just accept all mail coming to the domain and put it in the same place?
>>
>>55172135
>>55172104
I haven't run into any major problems with btrfs myself, but yeah it's not completely perfect yet.
At the moment, it's for people who like using bleeding edge software and don't mind the possible repercussions.
>>
>>55172212
So it's still unstable, got it
>>
>>55172012
Well, that sucks. Best of luck to you.

For what it's worth, AMDs workstation graphics cards are fantastic. I used one on my rendering tower for video editing for a production company and it was every bit as good as the Quadro at 1/4 the price.

In general though, if you're using open source/linuxy things I'd stick with intel and Nvidia, if only for the sole reason there is much more documentation and support for them (all brand quarreling aside).
>>
>>55172323
>Recommending Intel for Linux
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

JUST NOPE

don't go there
>>
youtube-dl (version 2016.05.16) doesn't work with ororo.tv, though I can download from there using Firefox with Flashgot.

What's the best command line download utility? Should I tinker with curl?
>>
Hey Folks,

recently installed crouton on an shit-level chrome book, now have it booting to precise w/ XFCE. Installed pulse audio through terminal, worked for a single day, now have no audio on my linux side. Regular ChromeOS side works fine.
Tried removing/reinstalling files to no avail. What did I do wrong and how can I correct it? It's not a big deal if I don't get the sound working on the linux side, but I'm genuinely curious as to how it could have broke after a day.
>>
>>55172813
firstly check the mixxer that master volume is muted or not.
>>
>>55172813
Sounds like your started pulse once, but forgot to start it again. Also try to unmute.
>>
Is it ok to compile programs on an ssd?
Exp
/dev/ssd1 /ssd
Then compile on /ssd/src_compile?
(names made up)
>>
>>55172721
ffmpig?
>>
>>55172721
A better question. How do I get the 'actual address' from videos online so I can just use curl or wget to download them.

Nevermind. I inspected the element and got the address, but returns Error 403 (Forbidden).

Nevermind**2. I got this. I was inputting part of the link, when I had to input the readable part and all the subsequent gibberish. Seems to be downloading fine.

Yes. It downloaded flawlessly.

>>55173041
>ffmpeg
I can't find anything about downloading from the net. Also, I googled ffmpig. The results may surprise you.
>>
File: dawg.gif (80KB, 170x207px) Image search: [Google]
dawg.gif
80KB, 170x207px
This is maybe a more advanced question, but I couldn't find a solution to this.

I need to run an app which only works with proprietary drivers (NVIDIA in this case), and I need to automate mouse/keyboard input and capture part of the screen periodically to compare to a test image. This should ideally run indefinitely.

I've managed to make a functioning script, and everything works as it should.

The problem arises when I run it in a different Xserver.

My use case is:
Xorg :0 is where I work and do whatever
Xorg :1 is where I want to run this automated stuff

Strangely, the automated inputs work perfectly, but when I capture X:1's image it shows completely black, with the correct geometry tho. I tried using xwd, import and scrot, nothing worked. I've read on this thing a bit, and it has to do with Xserver not writing to the framebuffer if it's not on the same active vt.

tldr: Is there an xorg hack or solution that would allow it to write to the FB so that my script's image-manipulating/capture part would work when run on a different Xserver on a different tty than the one being used currently?
>>
>>55173175
Wanted to add, the reason I use a separate X server is because of mouse/keyboard input. If there's a way to have a different (read: virtual) mouse/kb on a different workspace not interfering with the use of normal (real) kb/mouse, I'd go for that solution, but from what I've gathered, X can't handle different inputs (two different mouse pointers or keyboards affecting different shit), that was the reason I went with a different X to make this work
>>
Lads
when I create an image of a partition with dd and mount it, can I add files to it or is it read-only?
>>
I got a single core CPU with 1GB ram on a laptop, I was thinking about installing manjaro on it.

Any though or advice ?
>>
I'm new with linux and I've been using manjaro for while. I feel like some *buntu would be better. Should I just use manjaro or change to *buntu?
>>
>>55173372
yeah why not? You can always go back if you want to. Me personally prefer manjaro (using arch) because it's lighter and more bloat free, prefer the package manager and other reasons.
>>
>>55173372
Why do you feel like this?
Please tell me more about your feels.
>>
>>55173351
use manjaro openbox
>>
>>55173418
Well it's easier to find help for *buntu distros.
>>
>>55173351
yeah that's fine.
>>
>>55173436
I don't think so. Manjaro has a okayish wiki and the Arch wiki works for 99% of all Manjaro issues.

Compared to Ubuntu, you're completly lost to >askubuntu and related blah.
>>
>>55173417
>lighter and more bloat free
just get ubuntu server and build up your system from there
the muh bloat is a stall meme
>>
what's up with setting a mousecursor? I have followed every single step or guide I found but it just doesn't werk
I have set it in my .Xdefaults, my .gtk-2/3.0 but it still doesn't show
>>
>>55173551
wait, more accurately I think it only correctly shows in my terminal.
>>
File: 1448918015809.png (26KB, 397x262px) Image search: [Google]
1448918015809.png
26KB, 397x262px
>stupid geeqie developer won't add gif support because he's an asshole
>tfw you can't contribute to open source projects yet or make your own fork
>>
>>55169029
You'll come back. I remember installing Antergos because I didn't have the time to set up an Arch install (school) then I realized how much I hated Antergos and how bloated it was so I switched back to Arch.
>>
>>55173169
youtube-dl
>>
>>55173636
You never got past the first line of my first post, did you?
>>
How does the last line of this bash script work?

#!/bin/bash
useradd -m faggot
echo faggot:'shittyp@ssword421' | chpasswd
>>
>>55173692
I only saw >>55173169
>>
>>55173726
man echo
man chpasswd
>>
>>55172721
Wget and curl are both great. I prefer wget personally but use what you like. did you try using a newer version of youtube-dl?
>>
>>55173458
Not him but did you know that users of all distros use the arch wiki? a lot of people use the gentoo and debian wikis as an addition.
>>
Is there a solid Linux distro that is noob friendly that I can put onto my transformer prime tf201 tablet?
Preferably something that can run gimp, wps office, and chrome/Firefox/flash
>>
>>55173741
It's ok. I was looking for some programming project anyway.

>>55173832
I didn't, but as I said, it's 2016.05.16 version (barely a month old). Can someone with a newer version try it out?
>>
>>55164336
So.. This is going to sound rediculos. But I'm getting into programming. I've been learning Python, and using Windows 7.

I've been more interested in system security, and have been learning more and more about hacking, as it's intriguing.

I have never owned a Linux system. How long does it take to really learn Linux? Any books you would recommend? Which Linux would you recommend?

Thanks.
>>
>>55174137
You can develop in any distro. Just install an IDE or use terminal + text editor.
>>
>>55174137
Read the debian administrators handbook as a start.
The distro doesn't matter that much. Use one that has a nice community and that you value as a project.
>>
Hey guys, is there a modern version of puppy that is still maintained for x86?

Shit's blazing fast, but i just can't get over the interface.
>>
>>55174810
debian minimal with something like dwm or tinywm would be pretty fast and is well maintained.
>>
>>55170440
openbox + tint2 + dmenu + keybind in rc.xml for dmenu_run + feh --bg-scale wallpaper in .xinitrc + compton
>>
>>55175060
thanks mate
something like sparkylinux?
Is lxqt usable
>>
File: 1462004970151.png (138KB, 474x512px) Image search: [Google]
1462004970151.png
138KB, 474x512px
Today on /fglt/ TV:

Revolution OS (2001)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308808/

>Revolution OS is a 2001 documentary film that traces the twenty-year history of GNU, Linux, open source, and the free software movement. Directed by J. T. S. Moore, the film features interviews with prominent hackers and entrepreneurs including Richard Stallman, Michael Tiemann, Linus Torvalds, Larry Augustin, Eric S. Raymond, Bruce Perens, Frank Hecker and Brian Behlendorf.

mpv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eluzi70O-P4
>>
>>55171700

You can get rid of tearing without Compton by enabling the vsync options for your driver. Intel has TearFree, I'm pretty sure AMD/Nvidia have something too.
>>
please help me dualboot
i want to install win7 and then opensuse leap. when i install win 7, i shrink some space for opensuse. but when i try installing opensuse, it complains that he must format the whole HDD in order to install opensuse because it EFI or something like that. fuck me, i've been trying to do this for 2 days now.
>>
>>55173551

Use lxapperance, it's the easiest way.
>>
>>55173608

Embrace Nomacs. Let's make Nomacs great again.
>>
>>55175200
why use a fork if you can just use debian?
Lxqt is okay but maybe not as minimal as you want.
>>
so team, i'm currently doing a rice, and for some reason both xinit and i3 auto start are failing to open the feh file automatically. theres nothing in either of them setting a background or a solid color for the desktop. typing the command into the terminal brings up the desktop normally, but putting it in the configs doesnt. help?

>feh --bg-scale ~/desktop.jpg
>>
>>55175863

>posts a useless picture of his desktop
>doesn't post actual useful data like his autostart related files

Typical "ricer". Enjoy no one helping you.
>>
>>55175912
i told you i put
>exec feh --bg-scale ~/desktop.jpg
into my
>~/.xinitrc
and
>~/.config/i3/config
what more do you need to know?
>>
File: 51763_serial_experiments_lain.jpg (489KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
51763_serial_experiments_lain.jpg
489KB, 1920x1080px
>>55175332
Thank you. I wanted to do something enlightening but I didn't feel like it.
>>
>>55175988
Put it in i3 config instead of xinitrc
>>
>>55176040
i did :/
>>
>>55175710
I have no prior experience with (installing) OpenSuse, but it shouldn't say that. Specially not in Windows 7.

In the BIOS boot section, the LiveUSB shows one or two entries? If it shows two, try the other one. You might be picking the EFI one and since W7 (please, correct me if I'm wrong) is prior to all the UEFI crap, OpenSuse goes berserk.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've never installed OpenSuse, but I'm familiar with the kind of frustration this anon experiences.
>>
>>55176058
Try the absolute path to the image
>>
>>55176073
:C
i did
i wouldnt have asked if i didnt exhaust all my options. keep suggesting tho, im new to this whole rice business.
>>
>>55176097
>rice
>business
You're lucky this is a friendly thread, amigo.
>>
>>55175863
Works
>>55175988
On
>>55176058
My
>>55176097
Machine!
>>
>>55176097

See this >>55175912.
You insist on saying everything is alright, instead of just posting the only possible culprit and having someone look over it to see if they can spot the issue.
Enjoy no one helping you for good this time.
>>
>>55176070
would bootrepair help me? as much as i try i cant find someway to go past the uefi bullshit
>>
>>55176187
No idea. Can you boot into windows still?
Wait, have you disabled fastboot and secureboot, right? Are they even in Windows 7?
>>
>>55176210
disabled, disabled. yes i can boot into win7. ill try installing opensuse on the whole hdd then shrinking it, applying win7 and then try bootrepair
>>
>>55176151
not very friendly of you to say that :(
>>55176178
it was working earlier.
>>55176185
here you go mr. negativity
>>
>>55176308
Delete lines 1 and 3 from xinitrc
>>
>>55176379
trying right now.
>>
>>55176308

As far as I know, you can only have one exec line in xinitrc. Everything after that will be ignored, the dmenu one won't be started because it's after i3 and you don't need exec for feh.
It's all explained on the xinit Arch Wiki page.

>took him this long to post his file

You're an idiot, clearly.
>>
>>55176418
>friendly
also i was following the fucking wiki's directions. thats why i had all three lines in there.
>>
setting dual boots is hell nothing fucking works there should be some easy manner.
anyone would know his way around dualbootin win7 and opensuse leap?
>>
KDE vs Cinnamon vs Xfce anon from last night again. Really eyeing Xfce. What can the others do that Xfce can't? From screenshots, it seems too good to be true, being all the DE I need for as small as it is.
>>
>>55176488
https://tweakhound.com/2015/11/04/dual-boot-opensuse-leap-and-windows-10-uefi/
>>
>>55169713 Tbh I think that people choose free software for moral reasons more than just to be a special snowflake
>>
>>55176498
you can install xfce piece meal you know.
>>
File: 2016-06-20-20:59:14.png (86KB, 538x475px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-20-20:59:14.png
86KB, 538x475px
>>55176442

Apparently my post was spam, so I had to take a screenshot for you to bring it across.
>>
Is there a way to log what program creates what file in Linux, so that I can remove all the bullshit that sometimes gets left behind when uninstalling things I no longer use? I don't even need to remove it automatically, because I'm sure some of it will be documents I've saved or saves from games but just keeping a list somewhere would be nice.
>>
>>55176581
Thanks for the tip :)
i bet your girlfriend loves how helpful you are !
>>
Which distro to put? What is now fashionable, lol?
>>
>>55176626

AbulÉdu Linux.
>>
>>55176268
Then I have no clue, sorry.

>>55176308
I'll try to be more friendly from now on.
>>
>>55176668
Lol. But seriously?
>>
>>55173608
>2016
>gif
>>
Does Xfce support multiple monitors and hotkeys to move windows between them, or do I need a bunch of bullshit to get what other DEs support natively?
>>
Does anyone here use elementaryOS? I'm converting my friends to Linuxism and now that Linux Mint is no-go I don't know which distro recommend them.

>>55176668
Post more obscure distros.
>>
>>55175332
Everyone should watch this.
It make you happy.
>>
>>55177307

Stop recommending people niche distributions. Make them use Ubuntu or its official flavors like everyone else.
>>
>>55177857
Even if it's Ubuntu based?
>>
>>55177903

Stop recommending people niche distributions using immature, untested and buggy desktop environments*

I fixed it. The above post is licensed under the GPLv3. You are free to modify and share it. Absolutely no warranty implied.
>>
>>55177953
They're Mac people, so I guessed that elementaryOS (basically Ubuntu + a sleek Desktop Environment that reminds of OSX) would be the perfect recommendation. I've been using Debian until recently, so I could help them along the way.

It's number 13 in distrowatch and has its own subreddit (no kidding). Is it really that niche and buggy? Which distro is the new Linux Mint?
>>
>>55178009

Ubuntu with Cinnamon.
>>
>>55178323
Roger. Thanks!
>>
File: 0620161442_HDR~01~01.jpg (224KB, 1280x538px) Image search: [Google]
0620161442_HDR~01~01.jpg
224KB, 1280x538px
I copied my arch installation to a new disk, but since its a new disk the bootloader doesn't recognize it. I get a shell when I boot from it.
How do I fix it? I'm assuming its just a option somewhere, but in the shell I get there's no boot directory.
It's using UEFI and dm-crypt.
>>
File: 1427112971450.jpg (565KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1427112971450.jpg
565KB, 1920x1080px
On GNOME, how can I make a specific application be borderless (you know, without the fuckhueg title bar on top)
>>
I'm using arch and I can't figure out how to connect to a wifi connection that requires a username and password.
>>
>>55179111
Boot in safe mode
mkinitcpio -p linux

reboot
>>
>>55179543
>boot in safe mode
How?
>>
>>55179671
use the GRUB entry that says (safe mode). Why did you install Arch in the first place? It's just a hobby OS designed for experienced users to tinker with. If you don't know the basics to GNU/Linux, you're just going to have a bad time.
>>
How would I compile this package

http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-indicator-plugin/0.3/xfce4-indicator-plugin-0.3.0.0.tar.bz2
>>
File: disgusting.png (176KB, 1920x91px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.png
176KB, 1920x91px
Does anyone know how to get rid of these font artifacts in my Linux Mint panel? I'm running it in VirtualBox, and I would like to solve the issue without disabling 3d acceleration. I tried messing with the options in the Effects menu, and it did nothing.

They light up when you hover over the panel item, as you can see on the clock. If you look closely, it appears to be some kind of shadow of the text that isn't rendering properly.
>>
>>55179804
use infinality
>>
>>55179804
>Linux Mint
sudo apt remove yourself from this thread plebian
>>
>>55179757
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+compile+a+source+package+in+GNU%2FLinux
>>
>>55179814
Thanks anon! I'll check it out.

>>55179820
I'm sorry you need to do this to feel good about your life :^)
>>
>>55179859
I'm sorry you use Linux Mint
>>
>>55179828
Didnt work
>>
>>55179738
I'm not using GRUB, I'm using UEFI
>>
Why should I switch to Linux?
>>
>>55180044
>Why should I switch to Linux?

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=Why+should+I+switch+to+Linux%3F
>>
>>55179757
>http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-indicator-plugin/0.3/xfce4-indicator-plugin-0.3.0.0.tar.bz2

wget http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-indicator-plugin/0.3/xfce4-indicator-plugin-0.3.0.0.tar.bz2   # download the archive
tar xf xfce4-indicator-plugin-0.3.0.0.tar.bz2 # decompress it
cd xfce4-indicator-plugin-0.3.0.0 # go into the directory

./configure
make
make install

If you have not all the dependencies, ./configure will display an error message. Install what it want, then retry ./configure until it pass.
>>
>>55180072
>sending newfriends to the botnet
Just leave.
>>
>>55180044
Freedom, Security, Community
>>
I have vmware pro 12.0 + ubuntu 16.04. Chrome eats more and more ram that at some point it is not possible to even move mouse and it crashes. It looks like it does not free ram after website is closed or something.

Another thing from time to time I can not access internet on vmware with ubuntu 16.04 while there is connection it can not connec to any website or ping.

Did somebody have similar problems?
>>
>>55180200
>make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

What went wrong
>>
https://debian-handbook.info/get/now/
>>
>>55180044
>Why should I switch to Linux?

Windows, with all its good and bad sides, represents one way, one environment to apprehend and use the assemblage of electronics you call a PC.

Apple offers another one with its devices (although quite similar to Windows).

Linux has dozens of completely different desktop environments, for all tastes.

So why stick to the only one you know, Windows ?
>>
>>55180358
You need to create a Makefile (via ./configure) so make knows what to do.
>>
>>55180358
>make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

That's means ./configure has failed (or hasn't be executed).
>>
What does /g/fglt reccomend to start C with?
>>
>>55180537
K&R
>>
>>55176809
>>55173608
>not using PNGs not Gif.
>>
>>55180537
>>55181012
NO. Not K&R. This isn't the 80's/90's anymore. K&R is no longer fit for recommendation. This is based on personal experience, do not use K&R.
>>
File: 3.png (4KB, 621x319px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
4KB, 621x319px
Does anyone know how to fix the firefox unicode font problem?

see pic related

it doesn't show the leaf (unicode symbol)
>>
My new mouse's 3 asnd 4 buttons(left and right scoll) are emitting a inital signal(3 or 4 repectivly) but after letting go of that button, it endlessly spams 3 or 4.If i am in the terminal or a text box in browsers. It just spams it and stops sor of randomly. Xev reports the same problem
>>
>>55179111
you didn't set up fstab during installation you little shit.
mount / /dev/idk_somevolume
basically it cant even mount root
>>
>>55180537
King or C primer plus (King is a better book but Primer Plus includes the C11 standard)
Then K&R. Don't start with K&R though, do it latter. It's one of the best programming textbooks of all time. It's so fast and concise and has great exercises.
>>
So i have debian, and for some reason my headphones won't work with it, even though it works with windows. Help?
>>
did you install drivers
>>
>>55179111
You need to use the UUID.
Boot liveusb and set everything up properly.It looks like you have lvm so make sure you are using the mounted lvm uuid.Also make syre your crypttab is setup to reflect your lvm setting aswell
>>
>>55181728
>>55181742
>>
Just got my first smartphone (yeah I'm well out of touch I know) and I need something for passwords. In linux I use Pass with passff for firefox and it works beautifully but it seems there is nothing available for android which supports Pass. So I'm looking at keepass, which one do I go for though? Is there one better than the other?
>>
>>55181901
Alot of password managers have been exploited lately.
Remembering passwords is not difficult(single point of failure)
>>
>>55181957
it is when you have unique passwords and use more than just facebook and gmail.

>>55181901
i swear i saw a pass compatible app on f-droid, but keepass2android is pretty good, not on f-droid, but it is floss
>>
File: password_strength.png (91KB, 740x601px) Image search: [Google]
password_strength.png
91KB, 740x601px
>>55182030
I easily manage 50 unique 48+ char passwords.
Password managers are a single point of failure, AND you're trusting your passwords and your master passwords, in t he hands of random peope on the internet
>>
>>55182187
i only use local password managers only.

and good for you pham
>>
>>55182211
Unless your computer is never hookd up online, and you have audited the source code,you're at risk.
Who says they wont "mistakenly" send your master password to their servers?
Look at all the exploits, can you honestly tell me you're safe?
>>
>>55182230
no, but very much like my thinking when it comes to locking up my bike, hope the bad guys go after someone else's bike.

and who is they? and what servers? keepass is local only and not sending anything to anyone.
>>
File: KeePass_Main.png (59KB, 615x470px) Image search: [Google]
KeePass_Main.png
59KB, 615x470px
>>55182271
>bike
Kek,ill stop here, you're going to bring in so many fallacies after this,not worth my time

>who
>what servers
>only local
Who ever they want.You can use:
>file
>edit
>view
>tools
>help
>help -> About

Click anything in those menu options, and it can be bugged to send out network traffic,revealing your master password

I'd rather not expose ALL of my passwords with one mistake. I dont want to go and change my passwords on literally everything i use, not to mention potentialy having my identity stolen

No
>>
>>55182395
>muh fallacies
ok don't really care either way. not gonna change either of our methods anyway, so might as well end this reply chain here.
>>
>>55180044
because windows is shit and linux is one of the few OS that are good and usable for a pc
>>
>>55177857
>Stop recommending people niche distributions. Make them use Ubuntu or its official flavors like everyone else.
>>55177953
>Stop recommending people niche distributions using immature, untested and buggy desktop environments*
In this post you're telling him to not recommend ubuntu.

Serious question people. Is there a nice distribution that we can recommend to new users? Something that :
-works out of the box (no need to install drivers, or provide an easy way to install them)
-comes with a mature, tested, stable desktop environment
-not maintained by a company that doesn't care of its user privacy, of the linux community and doesn't work with windows

bonus point : this distribution is not based on a distribution based on a distribution based on.... you get the idea.

Debian would be great if wifi drivers worked out of the box for example (which might not be the case if you need non free drivers).
>>
>>55182665
Bunsenlabs.
>>
>>55164459
see >>55168922
>>
>>55181901
>yeah I'm well out of touch I know
I've never bought a dumbphone and I never will.
>>
I have a csv of over 3 million lines of data.
How the hell can i pick certain string (say Account_X) and export it to a new csv file
I tried below, but it isnt exporting them
cat file.csv | grep Account_x > new.csv
>>
>>55182665
don't need more infighting, maybe loonix isn't for you.
>>
>>55171236
>Okay, I've narrowed the problem down further. It only occurs when I have my second monitor hooked up.
ah, that seems to be a common problem with the open source radeon drivers...
I'd try running a newer kernel. if that doesn't help, ask here: https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=radeon
>>
>>55182665
Since Ubuntu went downhill completly, I usually recommend Fedora.
- Red Hat is competent
- Fedora cares about free packages
- Fedora cares less about free drivers
makes the whole thing the best out-of-the-box distro
>>
>>55164336
>IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
>If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
>https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
was going to mention, freenode has its own web irc client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
>>
>>55182808
Don't grep the output of cat, just grep the file.

What do you mean by 'export'? Writing the line Account_x is in to new.csv?
>>
File: 1451075207947.png (5KB, 281x152px) Image search: [Google]
1451075207947.png
5KB, 281x152px
>>55182833
>>https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
>>
>>55182839
>grep
noted
Export meaning taking the Account_X in this case, and putting the matching strings in a new csv file.
>>
>>55182854
how terrible

didn't you have to fill one of those to post in 4chan?
>>
>>55182833
>not using free javascript
>using webapps
>>
>>55182808
awk is great for this kind of stuff
guess something like this could help...
say, account name is the 2nd column in the csv, and its separated by ;. you do somethink like
awk -F';' '$2 ~ "Account_x" {print }' > new.csv
to print all the lines in which the account name is "Account_x"
here, -F indicates the separator, $2 means the second column, and ~ means "matches" (afaiu).

read the awk manpage to learn more... or google it
>>
>>55182911
>>not using free javascript
freenode uses https://qwebirc.org/

>>using webapps
>
I myself use an IRC client, but the anons here may not even know what IRC means, and you should not assume so
>>
File: Total_satisfaction.gif (920KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Total_satisfaction.gif
920KB, 250x250px
>>55169073
Hello, Nosefriend.
>>
Hello /fglt/

can you tell me how are open suse and manjaro ? Are they good distribution for someone that doesn't have much experience with linux ?
>>
>>55182823
Thanks, good to hear I'm not the only one having issues. I don't want to screw up my current Ubuntu installation, so I'll try setting up a new partition with a newer kernel and see if that does anything.
>>
>>55183084
you won't screw up your installation if you install (and then remove) a newer kernel. you can get a newer stable kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.6.2-yakkety/

BUT, instead of the ubuntu kernels on top of "normal ubuntu", I'd suggest using a live usb/cd from any distro that uses a newer kernel/stack, perhaps the problem is not really radeon. I've read reports of similar issues with 2+ monitors, but that doesn't mean I know it all.

once again, I suggest going to that IRC channel (sadly, looks like you need to be registered in the network to enter #radeon), you can even find the AMD/radeon devs there sometimes.
>>
>>55182975
Did you mean gawk?
>>
>>55182975
just bing it
>>
>>55182808
By using > redirection instead of >>, you're overwriting the file each time.

Use >> to append to the file.
>>
How do I check if I installed nvidia drivers on arch?

when install xorg I just went default drivers which I think was mesa?
>>
>>55177239
my xfce works naiviely with multiple moniters. you can set hot keys in settings>keyboard
>>
>>55183771
pacman -Qs nvidia
>>
>>55180044
for me developing C applications is a nightmare in window. using cygwin work-arounds is fml.
>>
>>55183821
local/cuda 7.5.18-2
NVIDIA's GPU programming toolkit
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 367.27-1
NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/libvdpau 1.1.1-2
Nvidia VDPAU library
local/nvidia 367.27-1
NVIDIA drivers for linux
local/nvidia-libgl 367.27-1
NVIDIA drivers libraries symlinks
local/nvidia-utils 367.27-1
NVIDIA drivers utilities
local/opencl-nvidia 367.27-1
OpenCL implemention for NVIDIA

does this mean I have them installed?
>>
>>55183857
>local/nvidia 367.27-1
>NVIDIA drivers for linux

I'm not sure.
>>
>>55183196
probably, I'm not really sure what's the diff between awk and gawk
>>
I'm trying to dualboot Ubuntu and Windows 7 but when I boot to 7, none of my input devices work. What do I do?
>>
File: ubuntu.jpg (127KB, 1141x624px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu.jpg
127KB, 1141x624px
>>55184127
just install windows 10 and use windows subsystem for ubuntu
>>
>>55184127
Sounds like a Windows problem, not a Linux problem.
>>
>>55184182
this, take it to the friendly windoze thread
>>
>>55181541
Use a font that has it.
>>
If I were to generalize all distros using one word, I'd rather use Linux instead of GNU/Linux, because it's shorter, doesn't look nearly as goofy and easily conveys the same meaning.

Just my two cents.
>>
>>55184960
1000 shitposts incoming,
Thanks, friend. One way to keep the thread bumped I guess.
>>
i3 is real comfy with multiple monitors
>>
File: 00b.png (158KB, 591x717px) Image search: [Google]
00b.png
158KB, 591x717px
>>55184156
>windows 10
take the shortcut and thermite your computer
>>
>>55185113
post your desktop. wanna see if ricing is worth it
>>
File: norice.jpg (673KB, 5520x2130px) Image search: [Google]
norice.jpg
673KB, 5520x2130px
>>55185148
I don't rice
>>
>>55184960
>same meanings
not true at all. GNU is a project that is dedicated to freedom while linux was a project started out of convenience. there is nothing wrong with calling it linux out of lazyness imo but pretending that it has the same meaning really doesn't help anyone.
>>
>>55185200
fweeeeee 4 monitors.
>>
>>55185265
Conveys and has do not have the same meaning.
I am not suggesting to use the word Linux out of laziness - if you read my post carefully you'll see I list different reasons.
>>
>>55185341
u wot
>>
>>55182665

Ubuntu's Unity is older and definitely less buggy than Elementary Os' Pantheon. It has an actual company which is actively developing it (Unity 8) compared to not even the handful of Pantheon developers who need years to finish point releases of their envrionment.
>>
>>55180072
>https://encrypted.google.com
Does this sorcery make the botnet less botnet? I don't want everyone in Google and their clients to know I like short-haired girls that dress in a classical way, but they do.
>>
>>55182187
>It's this guy again.
Did all your passwords doubled their length overnight? Can you get a trip so we can filter you, troll?
>>
>>55185536
all it does I think is not send referrer information to websites
and it makes a much cleaner URL than regular google
>>
>>55185563
I'll have to use this. As much as I dislike Google, none of the other search engines can find /g/ even if I basically type the url.

Thanks.
>>
>>55185609
>searx.me with proper sources
>not finding /g/
i don't think so.
>>
>>55185632
Teach me the way, please.
>>
>>55185650
Go to searx.me, go to settings, enable all sources you like. that is pretty much it. And learn how to search properly with quotes and the like.
>>
>>55185746
So I just unblock google in the list or what?
>>
File: Corners.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Corners.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
I'm having trouble with the 'hot corner' functionality "show desktop". All windows are minimised, but not really. They're pulled to the corners, but not far enough so I still can see their corners, as in pic related.

Any hints? KDE 5 on Fedora 23.
>>
>>55185882
More like enabling everything at once other than the ones that take over 4seconds. google is pretty shitty for proper searching. It is only good if you don't know how to use a search engine. Qwant and swisscows are pretty good.
>>
>>55186175
>More like enabling everything at once other than the ones that take over 4seconds.
You lost me here. Could you rephrase?

>google is pretty shitty for proper searching. It is only good if you don't know how to use a search engine.
Crossbows are also pretty good if you don't know how to use a bow.

>Qwant and swisscows are pretty good.
I'll start with those, but do you mind sharing your list and how exactly do you use it to get Google-like accuracy?
>>
>>55186236
google is not accurate anymore. Ever since 2005 it got pretty bad. It also makes your results worse over time because it is personalized. on the right side of the configuration site there is a value that shows how fast the sources respond, everything below 4s is enabled. other than google and bing because of principles but you can enable them.
>>
>>55183896
On GNU/Linux systems awk is mostly just a symlink to gawk, the GNU version of awk (UNIX), which has a lot extensions.
>>
Next thread: >>55186956
>>
>>55186717
Ok, I'll try that, though if Google wasn't accurate we wouldn't be having this conversation.
>>
>>55187182
try it. Google is not accurate, being personalized is a huge no-no.
neutral results are better because they don't force you into an ecochamber/advertizement/manipulation. Google was accurate once, but that time is over.
google lost all benefits it had over its contenders in the last ten years. Also everything they used to advertize it is not true anymore.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.