[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Design software on Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 7808159_orig.jpg (87KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
7808159_orig.jpg
87KB, 500x335px
Why does it seem like the Linux community is totally unable to make software for design that even comes close to Windows/Mac alternatives? I understand lack of first party ports due to lack of marketshare by Linux however the Linux alternatives are just so bad. Gimp for example is fine for medium tier image manipulation but cant even make a non-ghetto circle and lacks 99% of the usability in a professional environment of Photoshop. Same with Inkscape and Adobe Illustrator. Will Linux ever be usable for graphic design? I hate being cucked by Microsoft and Apple.
>>
>>55072572
OP I've got photoshop (your argument) running here. What do you want me to do with it now? Will try to deliver
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-14_19-50-01.png (577KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-14_19-50-01.png
577KB, 1366x768px
>>55072572
>>55072592
Picture related
>>
>>55072622
I'm talking about native software, not just VMs and Wine.
>>
>>55072572
> why can't a bunch of volunteers, most of which have no idea about how pre-press industry works, make software comparable to that developed for 25 years, with close cooperation with said industry, for gazillion of dollars?
>>
>>55072572
>Why does it seem like the Linux community is totally unable to make software for design that even comes close to Windows/Mac alternatives?

Software like AI and Photoshop is developed by dozens of people who are all paid exceptionally well. They don't have any other concerns. People who develop free software alternatives are generally not paid and do it in their spare time. They don't have the benefit of regular routine, financial resources, and dedicated expertise because project contributors come and go at their own leisure
>>
>>55072572
There is literally no one on this board that uses photoshop for things gimp cant do. Its just that people are used to one software and refuse to move to other. Same goes for ms office.
>>
>>55072572
Software like PS is not made by a community for the people, but by a corporation for money. GNU/Linux is not really their priority, even though GNU/Linux users pay more for software (when they need/want to) than Winbabbies. GNU needs better marketshare for that.
>>
>>55072572

Because fosstards are dorks with no idea of how productivity software is supposed to function and what features are required by professionals.

They're great at command line utilities and ricing desktops though.
>>
File: 1455869032133.jpg (865KB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1455869032133.jpg
865KB, 5312x2988px
>>55072734
>Braindead /v/ spill makes his entry.
Thread derailed in 3...2...1...
>>
Wine if you need true Photoshop. Runs beautifully in latest versions of Wine.

Krita, Blender, Wings, Openshot 2 for everything else.
>>
>>55073534
Oh and Inkscape, which is already better than it's illustrator counterpart.
>>
>>55072572
Because you don't need to use photo editing software on a server OS.
>>
>>55072572
You only use adobe software. Fuck adobe i hope they burn
How care about design the only thing we need i cad software other then that we have almost all.
Go learn to work with new software
>>
>>55073534
Wait, there's an Openshot 2 now? I used to use Openshot and it sucked so I switched to Kdenlive.
>>
>>55073558
Nigga please. I support FOSS just like the other guy and I fucking hate Adobe with all my heart, but it's not the ability to bend bezier curves that makes Illustrator the industry standard, it's the fine-grained control over the printing process: ICC color management, setting dot gains, trapping, overprints and all that shit. 99.9% of /g/ will never need those, but for actual pros these are *the* most essential features, and the reason Gimp and Inkscape are considered toys for hobbyists and DeviantArt users.
>>
>>55072718
I do. Gimp is cancer.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.