[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Visualizing 64-bit integers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: nintendo65.jpg (107KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo65.jpg
107KB, 800x450px
Here's an unsigned 32-bit integer's maximum value (2^32):

Pretty pretty easy to visualize, as it's roughly 4.3 billion possible values. And in a retarded bid to help bring some frame-of-reference to it, we could say it's 536.870912 MiB. Or we could say it could address 4,294,967,296 possible bytes, and thus is why 32-bit systems can only address up to about 4 GiB of RAM.

But unsigned 64-bit numbers' possible combinations (pardoning any off-by-one errors I may have in this post), whoa-boy...:

That number is fucking huge, and with it you could have a system with up to 16,777,216 Terabytes of RAM that could be addressed.

I don't even know how to begin visualizing that or what I can even compare it to (since I can compare 4 GiB of RAM to the many GiBs of hentai that I have).

Considering how insanely huge 64-bit integers get, especially if they're unsigned, are we ever going to need to get any bigger?

Big numbers thread.
>>
>exponential growth is big
holy shit who would have thought
>>
>>55067085
With Moore's law coming to an end, probably not for a long time, though there probably are some scientific applications that would possibly benefit from an architecture that can process a 128-bit value in one go.
>>
>>55067085
>are we ever going to need to get any bigger?
Yes, because retarted programming will slowly require gazillions of memory.
>>
>>55067168
we probably won't have gazillions of memory, at least for a long time though. 6,777,216 Terabytes ought to enough for anyone
>>
>>55067133
B-but it's not my fault.

I'm a DBA for a "web scale" startup, and my boss figured a 32-bit ID field was far too small, because we could only have about 4.3 billion rows per table. And with the amount of events happening per-second, that wouldn't be nearly enough after a few months or years of operation.

So we're using a 64-bit field, and I told my boss that'd be way, WAY more than we could ever possibly need in hundreds of lifetimes, and that he didn't have to worry.

He asked me what I could compare it to, and I didn't really have an answer, and now he's skeptical about it. So here I am.

Don't blame me, I know it's impossibly high, but I'm doing it for my boss.
>>
>>55067253
you could easily gave the memory example. if that fails, tell him about age of universe or number of sands on a desert or something.
>>
>Busy beaver function
>Graham's number
>>
File: 3.png (314KB, 282x282px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
314KB, 282x282px
a ternary digit (trit) can hold as much as 1.58 bits, a 21-trit computer could therefore handle larger values than a 32-bit computer.

Now imagine a the ternary pendant to a 64-bit machine :o
>>
>>55067196
But it's not enough for -everyone-
>>
>>55067253
4.32 x 10^17 seconds is about the current age of the universe. If you were to input 1 column of data every second since the beginning of the universe till now, it would take you another 35 times (or is it 8 times? I'm doing this in my head) that time to fill all of the columns.
>>
>>55067168
>retarted

Millennials, everyone
>>
>>55067085
>16,777,216 TB of RAM
Not enough.
Think bigger OP
Like a distributed dyson swarm which reaches out past jupiter.
>>
>>55067085
now imagine how many different states the RAM could take that's 2^18,446,744,073,709,551,616 different states. Now imagine what pussy feels like cause that's the closest you're going to get.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.