[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Build General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: as.png (384KB, 564x443px) Image search: [Google]
as.png
384KB, 564x443px
Mini-ITX build

>portable
>cheap
>powerful

Suggestions?
>>
File: 1461193763979.jpg (137KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1461193763979.jpg
137KB, 960x720px
>>55046510
Pick two.
>>
>>55046510
i3
>>
>>55046532

Mini-ITX is no more expensive than any other size build.
>>
>>55046650
micro ATX is no more expensive
mini ITX is, the cases are more pricy, the small little additions you need like more fans for better airflow, somtimes PCI risers, specific size mounts, etc add up pretty fast
>>
>>55046809
>the small little additions you need like more fans for better airflow
Bullshit. Like any case, two fans max. Most of your issues are only with the really small mITX cases, you can get some very reasonably sized ones that don't have those issues and are still smaller than mATX and plenty smaller than ATX.
>>
>>55046510
I am currently building a mini itx rig for LAN parties, just waiting for parts to arrive. Here's what I'm putting in it:

Case - Lian Li TU-200B (pic related - one of the only cases I could find with a handle. Concerned about airflow though)
Motherboard - Asus ROG Maximus Impact VII
Processor: i7 4770k
Ram: 16GB DDR3 2400 (Gskill or some shit idk it's recycled from last rig)
PSU: Some 750 watt modular ATX that I'm using in current rig, Raidmax I think
HDD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 PCIE 3.0x4
GPU: GTX 1080
CPU cooler: Corsair H90

Cooling is a major concern though and I've struggled trying to get the best solution. Unfortunately the only place to fit the H90 is on the front 140mm intake. This means that I will be blowing the hot air back inside the case which is definitely not ideal... However, I am buying a slim 120mm fan that can barely fit on the bottom of the case also. The GPU will be the reference 1080, and its blower fan should be seated right on top of that intake fan. So even if the rest of the case is getting hot air, the GPU should get fresh air from the bottom and expel it out the back (I hope)

The PCIE 3.0 SSD also solves the problem of hard drive mounting. I have to remove the hard drive bay cages in order to fit the radiator, and this allows me to not only have a faster SSD, but to mount it in a separate location.

Anyways, r8 my build. Appreciate any input on the cooling plan also.
>>
>>55046809

You can make any build expensive.

You can grab a CM Elite 130 or BitFenix prodigy for 50 bucks and just go with it with 2 fans.
>>
File: tu200-22.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tu200-22.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
>>55047183
forgot pic
>>
>>55047183
How are you getting to this lan party? if its by car I see no reason to fall for the itx meme
>>
>>55047183
Handle is a dumb meme. Just put the case in a sports bag.
>>
File: gts collage.jpg (995KB, 4211x2104px) Image search: [Google]
gts collage.jpg
995KB, 4211x2104px
>>55048508
This. I go to at least two LAN parties a month with this and a 34" 21:9 and have no problems. Building a separate smaller rig just for LAN parties just isn't worth it.
>>
>>55047213
I have this case (or very similar, it only has a slim drive bay at the top) and I get thermal issues with a GTX 760. If I'm gaming on it I have to take the side panel off and it sits around 85c, which is pretty toasty. It's not deal breaking, but something to keep in mind. If I leave the side panel on it starts to throttle after a while.

I don't have an extra 120 on the bottom though, so that might help you. The CPU gets hot as well (~75c) but is more manageable. I have a low profile noctua cooler on that which points up (towards the side of the case).

Unfortunately the front panel is the only good exhaust/intake on this case so it will probably be fairly toasty regardless of what you do.
>>
I guess this thread is the best place to ask. I moved into an old house, best place to hook up the modem is in the basement. Instead of busting up my walls to run wires (made even more difficult by them being lathe and plaster instead of drywall) I'm just going to get a wireless card for my desktop.

What is a good card that can work with Mint? I don't have super fast internet only ~60Mbps and I'm not doing any custom network setup (at the moment) just need to be able to stream stuff, browse the internet, and download games from gog/steam without taking a week.
>>
>>55046532
You can get all of those but if you add in quiet it's
>portable
>cheap
>powerful
>quiet
pick three
>>
File: M1 side with rad view.jpg (177KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
M1 side with rad view.jpg
177KB, 1500x1000px
A lot of people seem to think ITX costs a lot more. My case cost some extra, but that's really it. Everything else is pretty standard in terms of pricing. That being said, it was an expensive build, partly because of the liquid cooling. But, it's portable, albeit heavy. Very powerful, and compact. I brought it to my father's house today, hooked it up to his TV, and played some video with my step-siblings. Makes for a great transportable build on the occasion. A similar case for significantly cheaper is the Cougar QBX.

Also, I didn't NEED to watercool the build. I just had never done liquid cooling before and wanted to. Dropped my GPU temperatures (GTX 980) from around 81C max, to about 50C max. CPU didn't change much, rarely goes past 55C on my 5820K.
>>
File: _DSC0074.jpg (700KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0074.jpg
700KB, 1500x1000px
>>55050364
This, is more accurate. Though my temperatures were very acceptable on air cooling, it was a wee bit noisy at times.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.