[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Walmart Using Uber And Lyft To Deliver Groceries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

>2016
>going to the grocery store ever again

http://gas2.org/2016/06/04/walmart-using-uber-lyft-deliver-groceries/

http://blog.walmart.com/business/20160603/piloting-delivery-with-uber-lyft-and-deliv

>Walmart has been expanding the food section in its stores for the past few years. It plans to disrupt the grocery business the way it has disrupted the retail sales sector. Now when you go to a Walmart to buy beach chairs or an oil filter, you can pick up fresh and frozen food for dinner. It looks a little odd to see apples and pears stacked across the aisle from household appliances, but the plan must be working. Walmart is extending its food retailing operations to more of its stores.

>Now, the folks at Walmart are trying another experiment. They are using Uber and Lyft drivers to bring groceries from their stores to shoppers who order online. That way, the customer never has to leave home or fight traffic to get to the nearest Walmart location. Its another example of how the ride hailing economy can be used to make travelling by automobile unnecessary.

>Once an order is placed over the internet. Walmart employees will assemble the choices, bring them to the front of the store, and summon a driver from either Uber or Lyft to take them to the customer’s home. For the time being, the idea is being tested with Uber drivers in Denver and Lyft drivers in Phoenix. It is also partnering with a service called Deliv in Miami. Customers will pay between $7 and $10 per delivery to get their groceries delivered to their door.
>>
they can barely bag my shit when i'm standing right there I don't need some art student lobbing my groceries onto my porch because they didn't want to get out of the car
>>
>>55015786
/thread
>>
>shopping at walmart
>>
>>55015851
But the low prices!
>>
>>55015744
Amazon has been doing groceries for over a year in London. Longer in the states.
They do 2 hour delivery for free if you're a prime member. They're also usually cheaper than my local supermarket.

This is nothing new.
>>
>>55015851
left wing retard detected.
>>
>>55016260
Not him or a hard left winger, but why the fuck would you even want to shop at Walmart? I feel sticky and gross just walking into a store
>>
My local Winco beats Walmart on food prices often, and certainly beats it on variety. As for having things delivered... I could see it being useful only if I was a lazy shit.
>>
>>55016373
Saves gas money and time.
>>
>>55016353
why wouldn't you shop at walmart? why is walmart any different than any other store? it doesnt make you a better person for not shopping there.
>>
>>55016391
Gas is cheap as shit and you should be combining trips when you run errands for maximum efficiency
>>
>>55016435
Besides not wanting to support the Walton family? Just take a look at the kind of people who shop there, it's like Florida in retail form
>>
>>55016451
So let me get this straight. You have a problem with shopping at a store, because of the family who founded said store and because you think the people who shop there are beneath you, is that what you said?
>>
>>55016474
Exactly

But go ahead and keep shopping there, hope a kiddie in a Civic trying to do a burnout in the parking lot doesn't hit your ass
>>
Oh my god, this needs to stop. Not because it's not convenient but because it's making people lazy as fuck. Soon all people will do is lie in bed while their VR headset brainwashes them into a virtual world and a machine automatically injects nutrients into your bloodstream every 8 hours.
>>
>>55016499
You're no better than the people who shop there buddy
>>
>>55016537
Considering my day job requires me working with human lives every day and being liable for anything that can go wrong, I kind of have to be
>>
>>55015744
But delivered groceries have been the norm for almost 10 years.
>>
>>55016554
oh you're one of those entitled assholes who thinks they are better than everyone else because of your job.

thats ok, you'll eventually get fired, people with your attitude always do.
>>
>>55015744
yearly reminder the gov't like that they can have a neat little checksheet of everywhere you travel by tracking your uber. back in the day, cars were marketed as being liberating. you wanted one as a teen so you could go wherever you wanted. nowadays people are being told owning property is lame and convenience is more important than freedom. same thing with self driving cars
>inb4 cia niggers
>>
>tfw my fucking city/province kicked Uber out to make more room for the established sandnigger taxi drivers who won't even take you home if it's "too far" after bitching about other taxi services stealing their money

FUCK YOU ALBERTA.

>A
>FUCKING
>LEAF
>>
>>55016534
Can't fucking wait. Bring it on.
>>
>Uber
Uber epic my bros xDDDDD.
>>
>>55016590
>implying entitled
Yup, my 20s all gone and all that debt to great me at the end of the medical train. Totally entitled

I have to be better, otherwise I could kill a person
>>
>>55016534
>implying this isn't already happening

wake up
>>
>>55016590
As a different anon, you do know only plebs shop at supermarkets such as Walmart, right?
>>
>>55016590
not the anon you are replying to, but where I live the people that go to walmart can get pretty disgusting

but hey as long as it's cheaper
>>
>>55016590
Do you feel inferior or something?
>>
>>55016590
all the trash they sell at walmart will give you cancer in the long run, you might as well feel entitled and go shop at a real wholefoods store
>>
>>55016534
So basically The Matrix? That sounds amazing. I hope I can play as a 17 year old girl.
>>
>>55016745
you can just wash it
>>
>>55016800
yeah i'll just wash the GMO off my veggies
>>
>>55015744
this is fucking awesome
>>
>>55016745
you are just ignorant and believe the marketing if you think that the food at whole foods is any different than the food sold at walmart.

>>55016680
>>55016668
a grocery store is a grocery store, the food sold in one is the same food coming most of the time from the same farms and factories as food sold in other grocery stores.
>>
>>55016821
do you even know what gmos are?
>>
>Customers will pay between $7 and $10 per delivery to get their groceries delivered to their door.

What do the drivers end up getting like ~5-8 per delivery ?
For wear and tear on the car, gas, and their own time they are making peanuts.

I work at a grocery store, ama ?
>>
>>55016881
>Not shopping in Waitrose
>Not buying food from the Royal Duchy
>Not, generally speaking, buying your specialities from Harrod's or other stores of similar quality.

I understand that you aren't a Britbong, but surely you can get quality food in the US.
>>
>>55016882
More than you probably yes, since i actually work with them
>>55016881
If you think the same cheap trash that gets sold at a walmart gets sold at mom and pop stores or wholefoods then you're smoking some very dank weed.
Walmart tier stores get their stuff from distributors who work with big producers that only care about their scaled economy and churning out the biggest quantity of oversized stuff which doesn't have any taste or nutrients at all since it's mostly full of water thanks to being engineered crops for better liquid retention.
>>
>>55015744
What kind of idiot wants some clod at the supermarket picking their produce for them? That's a good way to end up getting the squishy bananas and oddly shaped potatoes.
>>
>>55017023

> implying anons eat produce
>>
>>55017023
Well Ocado are just fine, the quality is fairly good, and if it isn't you just refuse it - in which case they give it to you for free instead.
>>
>>55017023
>live up a hill thats about 25-40 degrees, takes about 10 mins to climb it
>can't afford a car right now
>bus that stops near my house is on a 1 hour schedule, for about 6 hours a day

I pretty much have to order food online, but it gets worse than bad produce pickings, they will usually give you all the close to expiry date shit and half of what you order isn't in stock, so you can either take the shitty replacements or send the entire thing back
>>
>>55017042
I'm not even implying that anon leaves its basement to shop but the point still stands. No one who cooks, ie. buys produce, is going to leave it to some uncaring, minimum-wage, vest wearing dupe to pick their produce.
>>
>>55017060
Have you thought about buying a cheap bike?
>>
>>55017060
>but it gets worse than bad produce pickings, they will usually give you all the close to expiry date shit and half of what you order isn't in stock,
it's much worse than that actually, i used to work IT at a supermarket chain and had access to the depot, i saw the delivery guys pick stuff that had been returned by other costumers, even meat which had been out of the cold for a few hours cause some wise ass dropped it that cash register line.
>>
>>55017107
>biking up a hill with groceries

I'd rather not die of exhaustion, people use the hill I'm talking about for exercises (you see some mad cunts biking up it looking like they are going to die) and alot of the people learning to drive car's use it to practice hill starts
>>
>>55017138
>>biking up a hill with groceries
Well if you do think about it get a mountain bike. They come with a tiny front sprocket (or Granny ring).
>>
>>55017023
I remember in on online grocer you could specify things like bananas : slightly green or whatever.

if anything customers in the store damage way more products/produce than come damaged.

>oddly shaped potatoes.
are you buying like single potatoes or something ?
They typically come in 5/10lbs bags for a few bucks
>>
>>55015744
From someone who deals with aftercare of a REAL grocery delivery service, this is a fucking shitshow, and heres why;

Firstly, there is no obligation for the uber driver to provide customer service as they cannot be held accountable for their actions. Unless of course the store keeps track of the drivers and take feedback about poor service.

Also, what about items that the customer isn't happy with? or have been damaged in handling or transit? What if an item is different than the one that was ordered? Will the driver take them back to store and have them refunded? Sure, for another fare. Alternatively, the customer can just drive to their store and sort the issue out for themselves, but speaking from experience, this will go down like cheap Chinese prostitute.

Secondly, the pricing is absolutely ridiculous. I've had customers complain about $2 delivery prices before. Unfortunatly this issue wont be resolved unless the drivers make more deliveries per trip, but then refrigeration becomes an issue.

TL;DR : This will never make it out of the trial stages, but it might help them develop a better service.
>>
>>55017234
>are you buying like single potatoes or something ?
You mean "loose?" Yes. All the time. Buying it bagged hides any blemishes. This isn't limited to potatoes. This also applies to other bagged veg and fruits. Ever buy a bag or box of oranges/mandarins? There's always one or two that are soggy and mildewing.
>>
>>55015744
And guess what they didn't hire anymore people to do that so it's just more shit for the employees to do.
>>
>>55016968
You're out of your mind if you think mom and pop stores or whole foods get their food from anywhere different than Walmart does
>>
>hire Uber people who are casual moms and pops
>get them to buy produce for your stupid ass
>they deliver and you can fuck them up the ass as a tip
>not wanting the uberbearmode dick up your ass
>not wanting to bang a hot mom who's always looking for extra cash
What's wrong with you faggots
>>
this is a really smart way for Walmart to stay relevant, since amazon and online shopping have been stealing their customers
>>55016223
but think of the scale walmart could do it on. Amazon only does it select cities. Walmart could offer this all over America.
>>
File: thinkpad uber.jpg (72KB, 600x433px) Image search: [Google]
thinkpad uber.jpg
72KB, 600x433px
Need a ride /g/?
>>
>>55017357
I work with producers and actually buy stuff from mom n pop stores where i get to see who brings it in but hey you know more than me.
Keep saving those pennies, you're gonna need them for your chemo treatment bills.
>>
>>55017386
>What's wrong with you faggots
SFW applies to text as well as images.
>>
File: 1459896466310.jpg (353KB, 1207x947px) Image search: [Google]
1459896466310.jpg
353KB, 1207x947px
Safeway is closer and cheaper for actual groceries.

For non-groceries, Amazon is cheaper.
>>
>>55017386
>hot mom
>Uber

Pick one.
>>
>>55017479
>dat bread
inb4 it's frozen baguette bread which got microwaved 5 min but before the truck left
>>
>>55017446
[spoiler]SFW SPOILER ALERT[/spoiler]
>>
I get organic groceries delivered by a locally based company called Green Bean Delivery, who gets their food from local farms and it's very delicious.

http://greenbeandelivery.com/
>>
>>55017536
I wanted to start a similar business to that locally, i wonder how much capital i'd need for the trucks and a warehouse
Do they have an app?
>>
>>55015786
>they can barely bag my shit

yea, and you don't deserve any better.

fatfuck
>>
>>55017592
A lot. Businesses like that do poorly because they're high capital low return.
>>
File: 1452217714942.png (58KB, 844x1157px) Image search: [Google]
1452217714942.png
58KB, 844x1157px
>>55016614
tfw
>a fucking leaf
>>
>not joining the costco jew and getting pallets full of consumer goods at low prices
>>
>>55017138
get a cheap motorized bike, used you could get one for a few hundred dollars
>>
>>55016746

I'll be the fourteen year old.

Let's rub our snatches on each other.
>>
Weren't many grocery items, if not all, delivered to people's houses back in the day?
Also, since when is seeing food items and household goods sold at the same place new? Grocery stores have been doing it for years, and Walmart has had a grocery section for a while now.
>>
>>55016614
Alberta banned a phone app that lets people carpool?
How?
>>
>>55017825
>Weren't many grocery items, if not all, delivered to people's houses back in the day?
Back when there were mom&pop shops and there were actual margins.
Back in which day, in particular? I've always found that expression puzzling, as if it had a piece missing.
Milk, bread, newspapers, firewood and ice were all delivered to your door. I remember twice-daily mail deliveries, and one on Saturday mornings. We've come a long way.
>>
>>55017838
That's crony capitalism for you. An established industry (taxis) using their connections to politicians and lobbying money with the government to suppress an emerging industry (ridesharing).

Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>55020096
>implying there's a good capitalism
>>
File: 1373677097480.png (848KB, 937x1013px) Image search: [Google]
1373677097480.png
848KB, 937x1013px
>>55020398
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.