[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BSD And Other Things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 12

File: Carp.gif (29KB, 255x343px) Image search: [Google]
Carp.gif
29KB, 255x343px
/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS...

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: http://dragonflydigest.com - http://undeadly.org - http://freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers.
>>
>>54979987
So /bsd/ is a general now like /fglt/ is?
>>
Is there a WM on OpenBSD that supports a global menu bar?
>>
4 days straight of bsd general dying with less than 10 replies

Stop posting anytime
>>
File: 4L_xhvW4apl.jpg (360KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
4L_xhvW4apl.jpg
360KB, 2048x1152px
>>54979987
I'm using freebsd in a project because no systemd cancer. Feelsgoodman
>>
>>54980839
Why do you hate BSD so much?
>>
>>54981088
Why do you keep posting this thread when obviously nobody on the whole board gives a shit?
>>
>>54981276
I can't tell you the last time I've posted a BSD thread, I simply post in them when they show up. If that bothers you so much, why don't you just hide the threads or add "BSD" to your filter?
>>
>cuck license
no thanks
>>
>>54981331
Oh it's you again
>>
>>54979987
>IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

Even the IRC is dead. There's literally nobody there except for the OP.
>>
>>54980839
>>54981276
>>54981363
Why not stop your goddamn bitching and help bring some life into BSD.
>>
>BSD
For what purpose?
>>
>>54981405
For the same reason you use Linux or whatever the fuck you use, we want to.
>>
>>54981363
There you have it, folks.
Even their circlejerk irc is a one man show. That has BSD written all over it - their shitty art, comics, gay little "groups"... Nobody is in any of this shit, it's all just trying to inflate themselves to appear to be bigger. Oh look just like their logo too the gay puffer fish, its just a small little piece of shit that blows itself up to appear big but has spikes all over it, it doesn't want you to actually touch and use it. BSD has the most perfect shitlogo ever.
>>
>>54981429
>same reason
>no drivers and no software tho
fuck off
>>
>>54981434
ebin
>>
>>54981405
I rather talk about BSD or Linux or plan 9 or even Macintosh than windows.
>>
>>54981444
>the no drivers meme
I actually started using OpenBSD because it had better hardware support for my laptop than Linux or Windows.
>>
>>54981405
When you're a hipster and got into Linux and thought you were set but then one of your friends downloaded it
Bsdlords are fucking contrarian queens (not kings that is too mainstream of a word to use)
>>
>>54981469
>lies on the internet
>>
Which BSD's kernel code and low-level system/userland code would be best for diving into?

Intuition tells me to go for OpenBSD because they strive for simplicity, but the FreeBSD kernel has a book dedicated to it, which would probably be really handy.
>>
>>54981331
Enjoy your commie licence faget
>>
>>54981502
>the cucks are mad
as always :^)
>>
File: 1453080625983.png (470KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
1453080625983.png
470KB, 900x720px
This thread needs some anime girls
>>
All the shitposting in this thread...

It's true. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, and then you win.

BSD is winning, guys.
>>
>>54981495
I'm not lying at all. Linux had support for the touchscreen but not the pen, Windows had absolutely terrible GPU drivers, OpenBSD supports everything.
>>
>>54981544
>cuck
>mental illness
why am I not surprised
>>
>>54981550
>Windows had absolutely terrible GPU drivers
please, it's obvious already
>>
>>54981550
The sentiment I've heard about OpenBSD (or BSD in general, I think) is this: They may not have as many drivers as, say, Linux, but what they do support, they support insanely well.

Or it could just be what BSD folk like myself say in order make ourselves feel better about our lack of drivers.
>>
>>54981469
What laptop? A T42 from 14 years ago and the one the distro was developed on?
>>
>>54981590
>Or it could just
more likely
>>
>>54981544
Is anyone else having the system lock up using xarchiver on -current openBSD? I can unrar files from the commandline just fine, but if I use xarchiver the whole X server locks up except for the cursor.

I don't want to sendbug because nothing is showing suspicious on the logs and want to know if its just me.
>>
>>54981609
Do you have a customized kernel?
>>
>>54981548
>less than half of one one hundredth of a percent
"But if you count the times it's been stolen... Etc!"
>>
>>54981567
Cute anime girls are not mental illness.
>>
>>54981629
If what has been stolen?
>>
>>54981626
just plain 6.0 Generic.mp.

haven't done anything weird. I updated the base probably 5 days ago and xarchiver maybe 3 days ago.

The only "weird" thing is that I only have 1 partition, I did this to make it easier since the default has way too small of a /usr/ for src ports and xenocara to be built under. The wxallowed decision is making me consider changing this though.
>>
I really love the idea behind bsd. Read a good article about it and tried pc-bsd and freebsd. Pc-bsd wouldnt boot into the install. It worked after 8 tries and I still don't know why. After I installed it gnome wasn't working and for some reason fluxbox was installed.Freebsd installed easily but had a bootloop after I correctly changed wpa_supplicant settings for my wifiaccess with no output what the error was. I just went back to arch with architect installer. I guess I'll try it later for now Im too lazy.
>>
>>54981671
I'm sure if you counted Mac os x and ps3/4 the percentage would be as high as Linux, bsdrones think this is a good thing, they are so eternally fucked as they cannot get any of this work back and meanwhile gnu and Linux are worth like $30 billion in terms of time. Muh freedom
>>
>>54981548
We need to make /bsd/ a regular thing and make a list of common trolling methods to cut down on shitposting like bsd vs gpl and the openbsd FBI backdoor accusation.
>>
>>54981714
I think there might be some misinformation about FreBSD and the PS3. See this podcast: http://www.bsdnow.tv/episodes/2015_12_30-the_bsd_black_box
>>
>>54981737
It is posted every day by bitter contrarian losers stuck in a quantum state where they are "recommending" it but secretly hope you hate it. Its been months since there were posts in it that were serious and wasn't just some form of "kill yourself". Everybody knows BSD faggots are coffee shop hipsters: computer edition
>>
>>54981673
>>54981626
>>54981609
Also, its only doing this on rar files (and maybe only rar files with passwords because all of mine have that).
>>
>>54981363
Don't join their irc channel. Just a bunch of niggers there.
>>
>>54981758
What a beautiful argument.
>BSD *is* popular! Its part of the ps3!
>you know that's not a GOOD thing, since it's stolen and you won't ever see anything of it?
>...well, we don't *know* for sure its BSD, since it was stolen
>>
>>54981737
No point in listing the trolling, Anon. The only way to make /bsd/ a thing and get more BSD discussion going is to ignore shitposters and trolls so that they starve, and to have people contribute to them.

Unless the plan is to figure-out the common trolling and shitposting so that we can figure out what to ignore.

Also, does anyone sometimes respond to trolls or shitposters to get a discussion going sometimes, or to use them as free bumps? I've gotten a few great discussions going here on 4chan because I took a troll at face value and answered it in-depth. Other shitposts always follow my replies, which get ignored, but sometimes other people with interesting input chime-in as a result.
>>
>>54981773
Why did BSD make you this upset?
>>
>>54981799
What? I'm not arguing anything. I just thought the podcast was interesting because it talked about FreeBSD and the PS3.

I don't fundamentally care if FreeBSD is "stolen" or not.
>>
>>54981802
We honestly should develop a list of what to ignore that trolls and shitposters post so discussion can develop better.
>>
>>54981809
Because every BSD, haiku, plan 9 thread goes like this:
>BSD is better!
>why?
>it just is.
>but its missing x
>...you don't *need* x.
And then we see conversations where x was a web browser, http, video players, or even music players. This isn't an os or technology its contrarian hipster holier than thou garbage.
>>
>>54981877
Fanboys going to fanboy. /fglt/ is pretty nice despite thousands of distributions.
>>
>>54981877
Also, BSD is much closer to UNIX than GNU/Linux is and has played an important role in being used in various operating systems like OS X or the networking stack in windows. It's very technology related.
>>
>>54981877
No one has said that except you. Some people enjoy discussing these operating systems go shit on a battlestation thread
>>
>>54981877
Honestly, we probably need more-technical people answering for the sake of BSD. Or at least people who have better arguments for BSD than some variation of "well, it just is better".

The BSD's strengths lie in more technical shit, like OpenBSD's SSH and firewall (pf is love), FreeBSD's Jails and filesystem modules for Geom, and NetBSD's rump kernel, in-kernel Lua support, and modular architecture. etc.

The average pleb in /g/ doesn't care about that shit. Most people here are either idiots from /v/ who want tech support or want to argue about video cards, and the actually-technical people who have something of value to say probably only deal with higher userland-type stuff or userland programming/APIs.

Honestly, I think the technical community who could appreciate these things is so small, there might not even be any point doing it in /g/. And it's already hard enough to find people to talk to in places dedicated for it.
>>
>>54981877
The thing is you don't need random software like specific web browsers and media players when it offers alternatives.
>>
>>54982023
I'll beg the question

How is OpenBSD's SSH better than Linux's? How is Jails better than docker/lxc?
How is NetBSD's modular kernel better than Linux's modular kernel?
>>
I'm interested in trying BSD on my laptop, but am unsure of which variant to go for. Any advice?

I also am hoping that I can get my wireless card to work (MT7630e). I currently have source that I compile for the Linux kernel module to do this, but I am assuming that this will not work on BSD...
>>
>>54982023
Don't forget about OpenBSDs libreSSL. It's included by default in the most recent release of OS X.
>>
>>54982060
I'm not sure if any driver would work. I recommend using OpenBSD if your card works on there unless you have a nvidia card on your laptop. There are OpenBSD live CDs which I'd try to see if your wifi works.
>>
>>54982023
Speaking of jails, I'm surprised the freebsd autist isn't here bashing openbsd because muh jails. Isn't openbsd getting something very similar to Jails soon?
>>
>>54982010
That shitty rant that's always posted says it a thousand times. If the thread had people interested in it, they'd ask if it supported x and the pattern would repeat itself. Don't try to pull your pancakes shit on me when we already know your dumb strategy of pretending to live in the 80s which is what you're suggesting BSD newcomers do.

>>54982025
What alternatives? List them.

>>54982023
>"bsd is for losers, normies get out!"

>>54981973
As I said, "proud to be stolen"
>>54981714
>>
Stop trying to make this a thing, it's not happening
>>
>>54982124
To which browsers and media players?

OpenBSD has MPD+NCMPCPP, clementine, chromium, firefox, surf, vlc, mpv, etc.
>>
>>54982124
It's not stolen, BSD is a very flexible license. It's why BSD has been used one way or another, far more than Linux has.
>>
>>54982056
>SSH

Heh. Do people not even realize that OpenSSH came out of the OpenBSD project? The point I was getting at is that OpenBSD is a melting pot for new ideas and software, and OpenSSH was an example of that. The whole world uses OpenSSH because the devs were obsessed with maintainability and correctness, and usability.

As far as NetBSD being modular, I meant that their kernel has done a *superb* job at separating-out hardwares-specific or platform-specific code. It's very easy to adapt the kernel to a new architecture because of how cleanly and elegantly separated that stuff is. This is also a huge benefit because -- unlike some other kernels -- you can make huge, sweeping changes all around the NetBSD kernel codebase, and will barely, if at all, have to fuck-around with or update the platform-specific code. It also really helps that the process of building NetBSD for any platform is really easy.

NetBSD's pkgsrc is also another example of NetBSD's aim at maximum portability. It works on NetBSD, Linux and Mac, and is quick and trivial to setup so that you can get 3rd-party software working working and managed in a clean, organized way (I personally use it on MacOS). So, the same stuff works everywhere.

So yeah. Stuff.
>>
>>54981585
They stopped supporting the laptop at Windows 7 and given it was a touchscreen laptop Windows 8 is clearly superior for it. The Windows 7 driver worked but glitched out at least once an hour.

>>54981601
Latitude XT2.
>>
>>54982204
What are freebsds strengths?
>>
>>54982204
So what I got out of this was that netbsd is able to work better if you make your own hardware?

But it doesn't really address how these are better than Linux/GNU-Linux/whatever
>>
>>54981877

Knowing unix is very useful for a lot of jobs

Now try and argue against this reason for using bsd
>>
>>54982189
How does it feel for evil, greedy, shitfuck companies like Microsoft and Apple to take your code and use it to basically destroy the technology industry with no intention of giving anything back to you?

This is why your license is bad and the GPL is not. Get over yourselves and stop thinking your license is somehow "better" or "more free" just because it's one step away from having no license at all. That's anarchy.
>>
>>54982234
Please understand I'm not even trying to advocate any of the BSDs here, or sway anyone from Linux with the shit I'm mentioning in this thread. If I was going to shill BSD, I'd at least make it convincing.

But, with random shit off the top of my head...

Most-performant kernel, at least compared to NetBSD and OpenBSD's.

Has the largest repos of 3rd-party software, which blows the other BSDs' repos out of the water.

FreeBSD's new pkg-ng is fast, and has some needed features other BSDs have lacked for quite a while (jesus christ, were were you "autoremove"?). Though there are arguments for-or-against pkg-ng and the standard BSD-ish way of managing packages.

I like how packages you install NEVER touch anything or use config files in / or /usr. They are isolated in /usr/local/* so that things are cleanly-separated.

Jails.

It has a port of OpenBSD's pf firewall built into the base system, which is arguable the best firewall ever. Though they kinda fucked it up while trying to make it multi-threaded. Still nice to have though.

It's nice having a kernel and userland that's centrally managed, so that everything works well together and doesn't feel hacked-together.

The community. Holy fuck, I love talking to FreeBSD/NetBSD people. They're really technical, and you can always have interesting conversations with them. ("Hurrr, losers only!").

The geom framework is nice and modular, and it is nice being able to have full-disk encryption with geli.

Linux emulation that actually works. I used to use it to run a Garry's Mod server back in the day.

ZFS filesystem.

So yeah. Stuff. Fuck you.
>>
>>54982389

I'd rather live in a world where someone can take my tech and not contribute back, then give some assholes the power to fucking jail or kill someone because an arbitrary piece of paper says they're not allowed to do something.

Plus, companies actually do contribute-back to projects that lifted code from (FreeBSD has lots of corporate sponsors who both fund the project, and contribute fixes and improvements). And it's in their interests to do so because any improvements to the software by others is a win for them, and having the code in a centralized and open place is the best way to maximize people converging on and creating improvements to it.

I'd also rather have more people using my software than not. Popular software that may or may not be contributed to is better than dead software. And licensing issues are a huge deal when it comes to adoption, and I want a license that will instantly let people breath a sigh of relief and OK its usage without any anxiety or legal concerns about what they do with it. These days, the BSD is an "instapproved" license, and is great for getting company higher-ups to approve.
>>
>>54982393
>losers only!
Yup, it's a circlejerk.
>irc
Confirmed circlejerk

Nothing wrong with thinking you're better than people, as long as you can admit it, but I know you can't.

>Yeah. Stuff. Fuck you.
Dude you literally are every first year college faggot who only joined to "teach" the professors and then get miserable failing marks on everything and never make it to second year. Entire post was cringe. BSD is too.
>>
>>54982534
Bsdlords love talking about licenses, in fact its basically what they exist to talk about. Because there's no fucking software, drivers, apps, ANYTHING, so it leads to only having the same conversations everyday about pretending to make executive licensing decisions at your made up company that you will never ever be a part of
>>
>>54982542
I will take your bait. Enjoy your (You):

How exactly do I think I'm better than anyone? What does that even mean? I just like BSD and some of the folks behind them.

And for what it's worth, I use Linux every day as part of my job, and I don't care if I have to use Linux or BSD to get my job done. They're both about the same for me with the type of work I need to do.

The comment about seeming like a failing college student also has no philosophical content what-so-ever. And as such, it has been disregarded.

As moot himself said, anyone can complain or throw shit around, but it takes actual intelligence to say something constructive.
>>
>>54982574
>Projecting this hard
BSD has a fair amount of software. If it's open source, there is a strong chance of having a BSD port.
>>
>>54982670
This. I've been using OpenBSD for years and have never once had an issue with software support.
>>
This thread is pretty amusing when you consider the fact that this site runs on FreeBSD.
>>
>>54982534
>jail or kill someone
HOLY FUCKING SHIT. You must be some sort of fucking fanatic or one of the companies I mentioned that relies on the works of others to exaggerate like this.

Anyone that listens to your bullshit is an idiot.
>>
>>54982574
Same anon here.

Kind of agree with you there, to some extent. It is very hard, if not impossible to objectively gauge how BSD-style licenses are considered at companies. It's mostly just heresay.

But that's also kinda the point... I don't want the power to know exactly how many people are using a given piece of open-source software. And I don't want the power to threaten litigation on *anyone*, whether it's some random guy, or a huge corporation.

So for me, the less the evils of government get involved in how people conduct themselves -- especially when no physical aggression or property is involved -- the better.

Cue the shitpost arguments of "hurr, you're just blindly following some utopian ideal!".
>>
File: 4L_iY1vkW2y.jpg (5KB, 312x161px) Image search: [Google]
4L_iY1vkW2y.jpg
5KB, 312x161px
why are linux users so mean? Why they shitpost and ruin every bsd thread ?
>>
>>54981501
>no replies
None of the hipster faggots in here using BSD are programmers. At best they're web devs who have heart attacks when they see bit shift operators.
>>
>>54982775
They want /g/ to be a Linux circlejerk, heaven forbid other technology be discussed.
>>
Why does every thread get raided by hostiles? Just let do.
>>
>>54982837
>>54982775
I think it's just one assmad faggot. I guess the only thing anyone can do is report him
>>
>>54981544
Nice toaster
>>
File: B5BSVqH.png (581KB, 599x825px) Image search: [Google]
B5BSVqH.png
581KB, 599x825px
>>54982393
>>54982648
>>54982774
>>
>>54982775
>>54982825
>>54982837
They'll stop coming when two things happen: report and ignore all hostile shitposters and /bsd/ becomes a regular thing.
>>
>>54982916
Ignoring them doesn't do shit, they just start repeating the same shitpost over and over if you do that. Reporting doesn't do much either, /g/ needs mods
>>
>>54982730
I don't know what to say except... not an argument. Sorry, Anon.

And my reasoning for what I said is as follows. Even if I like the GPL for encouraging contributing back.

>Company uses GPL'd code privately
>Company publishes and makes a profit selling binaries that link to or use that code
>If company does not release their source-code, they will get sued, or worse, jailed
>This validates that state is allowed to have a monopoly on physical aggression

But I guess this is getting pretty close to /pol/-tier shit. Though, I'd like to hear a real counter-argument about how picking licenses due to my personal ideology is, inherently, wrong.

Or wait, no, I just make my living off the back of other people's code, and am making up justifications for it. That must be it. Damn, ya got me.
>>
File: 1462744480253.jpg (68KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
1462744480253.jpg
68KB, 431x450px
>>54982960
>jailed
>>
who /ghostbsd/ here
>>
File: 1461600690689.jpg (10KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
1461600690689.jpg
10KB, 326x326px
>>54983035
>>
>>54983035
Just you
>>
>>54982856
Even if the guy is a shitposting asshole, that's no grounds to report him, because the lines are too grey.

4chan what suck ass if everyone had to be afraid of being too "negative".

Plus if you want culture to change, it doesn't happen top-down with strict moderation. It happens from the bottom-up, where people change because they choose to change, or get ostracized and starved of dopamine for their shitposting and venting their personal frustrations on others.

Top-down changing of culture is only useful for really obvious shit like "your mom is a fat nigger" (which is only allowed in /b/).
>>
>>54983035
Why do you use GhostBSD, anon?
>>
>>54982272
Sorry anon, missed this post.

That isn't isn't a bullet-point for people like you and me converting to NetBSD, but that NetBSD has a *reason for existing*. It's really useful for people who need an OS for embedded usage, or who need an OS for an exotic platform they might have their hands on.

NetBSD is used in many, many places, but we just don't hear about them. And there's probably a countless number of people out there who never even acknowledge they're using NetBSD.
>>
>>54983164
Funny story, weev loves NetBSD and once crapflooded the FreeBSD irc for fun.
>>
>>54983204
Who's weev and what'd he do, Anon? I've never heard of him.

I'll cry if you say I'm secretly weev.
>>
>>54982775
Um, no, let's stop for a second. It went the other way.

>hundreds of linux threads
>bsd shits show up sperging about how bsd is superior
>Why
>IM BETTER THAN U!
>BSD thread made
>"bsd sucks"
>omg why linux users so mean ;_;

Get out with your false flag bullshit. Linux is succeeding, BSD is just contrarian losers who don't give a fuck about computers, technology etc and want to be snowflakes. BSD. IS. FOR. HIPSTERS.
>>
>>54983381
epik
>>
>>54983381
>Look everyone I'm projecting
>>
>>54982775
The same thing is done by BSD and Windows users
>>
>>54982534
>because an arbitrary piece of paper says they're not allowed to do something
but anon, the BSD license says I can't remove the notice! are you a fucking hypocrite?
>>
>>54981501
OpenBSD and NetBSD.
>>
>>54982648
>As moot himself said
ask me how I know you're literally retarded
>>
>>54982574
>Bsdlords love talking about licenses, in fact its basically what they exist to talk about.
you're the dumb nigger who keeps coming in here with "LE KEK LICENSE THO XD" every thread
>>
What does BSD have that would make me want to switch from linux?

Seriously, iv never used BSD, whats to gain or lose?
>>
>>54982774
>I don't want the power to threaten litigation on *anyone*
See >>54984064
>"hurr, you're just blindly following some utopian ideal!"
No, you're just a deluded idiot.
>>
>>54984101
i don't want to reply for you because you're probably the cuckposter in disguise
>>
>>54982960
>Company uses GPL'd code privately
You mean "company commits copyright infringement"? The results are the same with any license, including BSD.
>>
>>54984151
oh good, my first introduction to bsd is some faggot refusing to answer my question because of trolls.
>>
>>54984092
>LE KEK LICENSE THO
it's actually cuck license tho :^)
>>
>>54984181
well it happened several times already
>>
>>54984192
>he doesn't know cuck in all caps is still filtered
lmao you're a redditor xD
>>
>>54984196
who gives a shit, why even make a thread about something if you refuse to talk about that something because some faggots are being dicks?

every other general deals with the same shit, so either get over it and try to contribute to the thread constructively or dont bother making the fucking thread.
>>
>>54984212
>here's how I get filtered
>am I gee yet?
fuck off newfag
>>
>>54984231
ok then, i mostly use openbsd because it just werks and it's a sane UNIX based system, im sure others will give you different reasons
>>54984255
lmao you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>54984231
>every other general deals with the same shit
No general comes even close to attracting the amount of shitposting BSD threads do.
>>
>>54984064
This be true, Anon. But I still live in the real world, and I want to use a license that's less evil, very well-known, and one which companies' legal departments won't just instantly trash on-sight.

As much as I like licenses like WTF-PL, people with a lot to lose legally would never take that shit seriously.
>>
>>54984284
well if bsd generals are just tons of shitposting and no information about the topic maybe these threads shouldnt exist to begin with, are all bsd users this retarded or just you two?
>>
>>54984284
This is true. We have to buckle down if we want /bsd/ to become a regular general.
>>
>>54984317
so were you >>54984101 or not?
>>
>>54984317
Are you really blaming BSD users because a few asshats can't handle technology discussion on a technology board?
>>
>>54984317
you're the retard who shitposts in them, we even told you that weeks ago and you insisted you were doing the right thing, how delusional do you have to be?
>>
File: Selection_002.png (51KB, 1348x246px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_002.png
51KB, 1348x246px
>>54984332
Yes anon, and I genuinely want to know about BSD.
>>
>>54984368
I dont know who you're talking about, iv never posted in a BSD thread, but you seem like exactly the kind of faggot whos holding up usefull conversation.
>>
>>54984284
Well there's only 25 unique posters in this thread, with 128 posts that's not very many.
>>
I want to start using bsd on my laptop as my daily driver. I have arch currently. I am *competent* with linux, will Unix be difficult to install and use? I only failed installing arch 1 time and thst was because my windows partition ate it for breakfast, but that won't be a problem since bsd will have its own hdd.
>>
>>54984404
Most people don't know much about /bsd/ and /fglt/ is partially a tech support general.
>>
>>54984404
just watch, it'll last 6 hours
>>54984403
yeah sure
>are all bsd users this retarded or just you two?
that's something he says all the time, don't know what you're hoping to achieve by samefagging
>>
>>54984404
I've seen threads that had this number of posts and one poster accounted for half of them. The anti-BSD kids are the fucking worst.
>>
>>54984410
OpenBSD is pretty easy to install.
Make sure you don't have nvidia shit in there. Don't know about broadcom but I don't think that's good either.
>>
>>54984428
Not him, but which BSD is most beginner friendly?
>>
>>54984420
are there always just two guys being faggots to people who ask legit questions in these threads?

thats kind of sad actually.
>>
Free or Open on ThinkPad X220?
>>
>>54984410
Honestly, if you can handle Linux on the command-line, you can handle BSD on the command-line just fine.

For the sysadmin, they're fundamentally the same in a lot of ways (cuz POSIX), but just different in a few ways like how system init or user-management is handled.

I'd recommend FreeBSD or OpenBSD (http://www.openbsdjumpstart.org/#/) in a VM. Though maybe FreeBSD because installation is much friendlier, and because OpenBSD has a few issues with running in a VM.
>>
>>54984441
OpenBSD > FreeBSD > NetBSD
>>54984445
>ask legit questions in these threads?
>lol are BSD users retarded?
>legit question
>>54984455
I heard a lot of people use them on X series Thinkpad. Make sure to read up on apm and apmd, and make sure you don't have the bad hardware listed a few posts above.
>>
>>54984463
Oh, and the book "Absolute OpenBSD" is also a great book. I'd recommend it. I think "Absolute FreeBSD" also exists, but I've never read it so I dunno how good it is.
>>
>>54984410
FreeBSD and OpenBSD are really easy to install. There's some differences between Linux and other Unix-likes but you'll probably be able to adjust they're not very different. Read the man pages before you use the various utilities to see if the options are different the applications in the BSDs tend to be smaller and have fewer functions.
>>
>>54984441
>>54984468
Oh and if you want to know how user friendly OpenBSD can be, I'm pretty sure you can almost mash enter through the installer and it's done. Takes only about 3 minutes to get installed.
>>
does bsd have live distros that i can give a try in a vm or something?

>>54984468
see
>>54984101
as its way before
>>54984317

which is the only post i think you actually read before you sperged out.
>>
>>54984468
I love both FreeBSD and OpenBSD, but I wouldn't call one objectively better than the other, because they each have their own different use-cases.

One way I think FreeBSD might be better for someone new is the Ports collection. There's much, much more software in there than on OpenBSD's, and I'm sure someone who's addicted to trying out packages/software might appreciate that.

With that, both OpenBSD and FreeBSD are worth trying. And for me personally, I prefer OpenBSD.
>>
>>54984489
>does bsd have live distros that i can give a try in a vm or something?
I'm not sure as I never used these two, but maybe PC-BSD and GhostBSD have them? I tried PC-BSD once and it was shitty so I dropped it.
>>54984505
Oh it wasn't a comparison I was making, I love them all equally too except for the weird forks that suck.

I do think OpenBSD is way better for ports and packaging though, it never once broke on me and you can actually mix both at once since the devs use it to port packages.
>>
>>54984486
Is it though? Don't you have to mess with a lot of default settings that are disabled for security reasons to get a usable desktop OS?
>>
>>54984551
Nope, I'm sure even the allowaperture parameter is on by default since the installer assumes you're gonna use X by default.
>>
If Linux can't give me as good performance as Windows there is no way bsd will even come as close. I want performance, not freedumbs.
>>
>>54984309
>are you a hypocrite
>this is true
good to know, opinion discarded
>>
>>54984534
alright so il go the vm route, what one is good to play with, linux is my daily driver on my t420, im a arch/manjaro fag if that matters.
>>
>>54984584
I was talking about not being able to remove the license from the source-code.

I also don't see how being practical makes one a hypocrite. I mean, with your logic, the only way I could live my values would be to move to Antarctica or some shit like that.

I want a license that respects people's freedoms, but which is also practical in the world we live in today. Wanting that doesn't make me a hypocrite.
>>
Guys, isn't OpenBSD getting jails soon?
>>
>>54984617
Again, I think OpenBSD is recommended. Read the FAQ to make sure you know what you're doing.

Read the automated e-mail you get post-installation and you should also look in /etc/examples for some nice configuration examples.
>>
>>54984428
It is amd Based gfx, are the drivers ok on bsd? Arch can't operate the gfx fan.
>>54984463
I'm not so good in the command line. Arch wiki saves my ass Alot.
>>54984484
Once I have the bsd Installed. Is it hard to get online and get a de or Wm started? Currently with arch I use a Wm and have hotkeys to bring up the programs I am using. But I only use Firefox, vlc, gimp, and kodi, all my other programs are utilities.
>>
>>54984634
alright, thanks constructive-anon.
>>
>>54984634
/usr/share/doc/pkg-readmes is also your friend.
>>
>>54984642
FreeBSD has got some pretty good documentation. Same with OpenBSD.

See the FreeBSD Handbook: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/
>>
>>54984633
Yes, Theo and his rat devs are getting jailed once Truedoo realizes that his software provides encryption. If you encrypt your data the Freedom wins.
>>
>>54984642
OpenBSD comes with cwm, which is a god tier wm. It's a good reason to want to use openbsd.
>>
>>54984633
It's getting virtualization, not jails.
>>54984642
>It is amd Based gfx, are the drivers ok on bsd? Arch can't operate the gfx fan.
Obviously the older it is, the better. My ancient Radeon HD 6870 works, but it's like 6-7 years old at this point.
>Once I have the bsd Installed. Is it hard to get online and get a de or Wm started?
FAQ has a guide on setting up a wi-fi/ethernet bridge so it can automatically switch. You'll notice that configuration files in OpenBSD are really simple, and if you like it enough to stay you'll miss them a lot in other operating systems.

As for WM's, OpenBSD comes with twm, fvwm and cwm (openbsd's very own). You can install other ones from the ports/packages. I wouldn't worry about Firefox , VLC and gimp either. Don't know about Kodi.
>>
>>54980988
>muh sysvinit
>muh minmalism
>muh glorified 70's mainframe development guidelines
>>
>>54984675
>BSD
>sysvinit
nope, you don't know what you're talking about, as usual
>>
>>54984658
Arch tier tho? Because they really held my hand and helped me big time.
>>54984665
Pre-installed with the os? Is open bsd "plugnplay" so to speak? Like once it's installed it just werks?
>>54984673
From what I understand bsd And Linux use the same binaries. So kodi should work fine, as it's got a .Deb and a github source. The gfx cars us Radeon 5xxx so it should work too right?
>>
>>54984633
It's getting a a hypervisor manager thing similar to KVM on linux. They're trying to make it compatible with kvm's APIs so software that relies on kvm will work with it
>>
>>54984696
Oh sorry
>muh rc scripts
Happy?
>>
>>54984696
Just report and ignore obvious shitposting. Janitor will take care of the v two fags later.

>>54984714
Cwm comes with openbsd. You can start ricing as soon as you install. You should grab a browser as soon as you install, it doesn't come with that anymore.
>>
>>54984562
If you used a BSD for muh freedums you're definitely a minority.
>>
>>54984714
>Arch tier tho? Because they really held my hand and helped me big time.
Learn how to use man and apropos and love it. Nearly everything is documented there, if you don't understand a config file you get great explanations from there.
>Pre-installed with the os? Is open bsd "plugnplay" so to speak? Like once it's installed it just werks?
In a way, yes. Obviously you'll have to write some stuff in .xinitrc.
>From what I understand bsd And Linux use the same binaries.
Not how it works, sorry.
>The gfx cars us Radeon 5xxx so it should work too right?
I would assume so. The man page seems to confirm it.

>>54984738
>Just report and ignore obvious shitposting. Janitor will take care of the v two fags later.
I wish. Everyone knows /g/ is /b/2.0, even /v/ is better moderated.
>>
>>54984715
How will this compare with freebsd jails? It's called pledge I believe.
>>
>>54984714
OpenBSD devs try to make their OS simple(relatively speaking), a lot of them use it as their full-time OS. OpenBSD is very straightforward and basically all configuration is done through plaintext files and all the config files are meant to be readable by humans.

>From what I understand bsd And Linux use the same binaries.
Generally software will not work between different Unix-like systems without being recompiled. FreeBSD has a compatibility layer for some linux binaries but it's not perfect and newer stuff might not work.

>The gfx cars us Radeon 5xxx so it should work too right?
Radeon or Intel graphics work pretty much anywhere. Nvidia graphics are a different story.
>>
> openbsd

literally the " I'm so minimalist I don't exist " distro
>>
>>54984738
I'm out of state right now, are you a gentooman or just visiting? I'll be back on Sunday night, intend on installing monday. I don't plan on racing at all really. I left i3 with its defaults, and don't even have a wallpaper hahahaha I'm just looking for strong and light
>>
>>54984770
Oh that's not a similar concept at all. He's talking about vmm.

Pledge is a system call you insert into C programs to rein them in. It functions as a whitelist, so you can authorize a program to use stdio but prevent it from connecting to the internet at any point.
>>
>>54981489
Projecting much? I started using BSD in 1985, long before Linux was even a zit on Linus's nose.
>>
>>54984777
>BSD
>distro
>>
>>54984764
This defeatest attitude is why /g/ is so shitty. Janitor always deletes rule breaking posts for me.
>>
>>54984799
Summer is afoot friendo.
>>
>>54984803
I've been reporting the posts from day one.
Either he's a mobile poster or the mods really don't care.
>>
>>54984777
It's the 2nd most popular BSD
>>
>>54984770
Pledge is a different thing but it's another really significant advancement

Their hypervisor is just called vmm I believe. Hypervisors are different in that they virtualize physical hardware, jails virtualize another instance of the OS. Basically under a jail programs cannot see other applications that are outside of the jail but they're running on top of the same kernel and hardware. Jails are much faster and lighter on resources but theoretically not as secure I think
>>
>>54984825
Is there a reason to use virtualizers? The laptop I intend on installing bsd on is 8gb ram with an i7 2760q will I need to fake it?
>>
>>54984846
what? no
>>
>>54984825
But how does that compare to what freebsd does? Or will it be the same?
>>
>>54984855
So why would I want that? Or need it? Is it just for security?
>>
>>54984629
>power to fucking jail or kill someone because an arbitrary piece of paper says they're not allowed to do something
>BSD license
yes, you're a fucking hypocrite
>>
>>54984872
vm's are completely separated from the host operating system, jails rely on the host's kernel
>>54984881
you don't need it, it's just a feature, much like KVM
>>
>>54984799
you don't know what BSD even means, you fucking cuck shit? hint: it ends with DISTRIBUTION!
>>
I am currently using Gentoo on my x230 and desktop, and decide to try OpenBSD.
I know that OpenBSD does not support gtx 750,
so I have to use iGPU of haswell.
How is the performance?
>>
>>54984887
Oh, so it'll be more secure than freebsd jails?
>>
>>54984911
shit
>>
>>54984908
Yes I do, you fucking meme spouting faggot. Regardless of what it's called, distros are Linux based.
>>
>>54984911
I think support for Haswell works, don't quote me on that though.
>>54984923
Should be, in theory. Less shared components is better. Personally I can't wait until it gets support for GPU passthroughs.
>>
>>54984911
Bsd From what I understand is the fastest they come.
>>54984908
You know damn well that "distro" does not ever refer to bsd.
>>
>>54984872
vmm is comparable to FreeBSD's bhyve. Hypervisors completely isolate the guest OS from the host all the way down to the hardware. Guest OSes run either on virtual hardware or they run on hardware that the host OS physically cannot access(IOMMU) at the same time. A VM is basically emulating an entire computer.

A jail is kinda like another userland running next to the main one. Both share the same kernel and can access the same hardware but the jailed environment cannot access everything that the main one can it's deliberately limited in its range.
>>
>>54984934
>distros
>>54984944
>distro
ok cucks, pay attention: distro is short for distribution; it doesn't imply linux; if it did, nobody would use the terms "linux distribution"; got it? good, fuck off
>>
>>54982218
>Latitude XT2.
Almost identical to my HP2710p besides the touchscreen and digitizer, i want you to say again, with a straight face, that BSD has better GPU drivers than Windows for your laptop, and when you say that it does (PROTIP: it doesn't) you should an hero
>>
>>54984629
Why am I not surprised that the shitposter didn't bother to respond to this?

Also, serious question time. GPL-style vs BSD-style licensing. Or alternatively: "open source, or else" -vs- "include our copyright, or else".

As much as I hate legal litigation and want MUH FREEDOM, is it actually hypocritical to prefer a BSD-style license, because you can still potentially run into legal troubles with it?

Like I said before: real world. I live in it. If I want MUH FREEDOM, I have to be practical. And to me, a BSD-style license seems like the best option for the world we live in today.

Ideally, I wouldn't want code to have a license at all. But if I did that, companies' legal departments would put that shit on a "NOPE!" list. Or someone could just take the code, add a restrictive license to it, and say they were the rightful holders of the code. And then they might have some fun litigating people that happened to use old versions of the code that weren't "claimed" by them.

At least with a BSD-style (say BSD or MIT), and with our current political climate, there'd be a baseline of defense against that. Sure it leverages the evils of the state, but in the end, it seems practical for actually giving people more freedom TODAY.

The whole "evil of the state" and "muh freedoms" is a while 'notha topic though. But you catch my drift.

Thoughts?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-08-17-54-56.jpg (724KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-08-17-54-56.jpg
724KB, 1440x2560px
>>54984978
You're trying to play semantics and it's not working.
>>
>>54985008
>is it actually hypocritical to prefer a BSD-style license
yes, it is, when you talk about GPL and spew shit like
>>54982534
>give some assholes the power to fucking jail or kill someone because an arbitrary piece of paper says they're not allowed to do something
because that's the definition of hypocrisy
>And to me, a BSD-style license seems like the best option
to others, a GPL-style license seems like an even better option
>you catch my drift.
yes, now you're just backpedaling and try to come up with reasons for why "BSD is baseline tho"
>>
>>54985008

Nevermind, he or some other troll did actually reply as I was typing my last post up. Though it didn't address any of my arguments at all, as expected.

I look forward to more non-arguments and shitposting which are the results of the fear and envy of someone who actually has an ideal, and who actually lives with consistency. Or at least, someone who actually puts-forth arguments, and has consistency in them.

It's sad how angry people get when you live consistently with your values, and don't hate or boss yourself around. Because that's something they've never known, or it upsets them to see that someone has a choice.

>>54984885
>>
>>54985052
oh, sure, I didn't expect cucks to understand anything; they're mentally ill by definition
>>
>Using OpenBSD
When will you masterbating monkeys give it a rest. Security isn't important, usability and regular bug fixing is. Even Linus said so.
>>
>>54985079
>didn't address any of my arguments
you don't have any; you're just proven to be a hypocrite
>has an ideal
you're simply deluded
>consistency
well, since we established you're a hypocrite, it's kinda hard to be consistent, isn't it?
>>
>tfw if you look at some of Microsoft's Internet "suite" with strings.exe you can see that they actually DID preserve the Berkeley copyright
why do people always complain about stolen shit then
>>
>>54985076
I know I'm taking bait once again, but me summarize what you just said to me:

>You are hypocritical (not an argument)
>That's the definition of hypocritical (not an argument, and no specifics)
>Other people like GPL
>You're pedaling (no argument, and no specifics, again)

Sorry, but try again.
>>
>>54985118
It was fun Anon, but this conversation is getting really unproductive now. All you did was posit that your conclusion is the truth, with, again, zero specifics what-so-ever.
>>
>>54985088
>my argument is invalid, let me insult him baselessly!

Stay mad poor fag.
>>
>>54984984
It definitely does. Let me spell it out for you again
>Linux
Had touchscreen drivers, no drivers for pen
>Windows
Shit GPU driver for Windows 8
>OpenBSD
Everything works.
>>
>>54985128
let me summarize what you said
>GPL is bad (not an argument)
>BSD is good (not an argument)
anything else?
>>
>>54985098
>implying everybody who uses OpenBSD uses it strictly because it's known for its security
>>
>>54985161
>poor fag
found the macshit! finally, the bsd cuck shows his true colors :^)
>>
>>54985121
>with strings.exe you can see
What does it show?
>>
>>54985008
>to me, a BSD-style license seems like the best option
Why would you want to
>give some assholes the power to fucking jail or kill someone because an arbitrary piece of paper says they're not allowed to do something
?
>>
>>54984984
I should also point out that your laptop has a different GPU, dumbass.
>>
>>54985185
Why would you use an OS made by masterbating monkeys?
>>
>>54985239
It's the best BSD for a desktop system
>>
>>54985249
Linus hates it
>>
>>54985195
@(#)send.c      5.17 (Berkeley) 6/29/90
@(#)getinfo.c 5.22 (Berkeley) 6/1/90
@(#)skip.c 5.9 (Berkeley) 8/3/90
@(#)subr.c 5.22 (Berkeley) 8/3/90
@(#)list.c 5.20 (Berkeley) 6/1/90
@(#)debug.c 5.22 (Berkeley) 6/29/90
@(#)commands.l 5.13 (Berkeley) 7/24/90
@(#)nslookup.c 5.39 (Berkeley) 6/24/90
@(#) Copyright (c) 1985,1989 Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved.
>>
>>54985273
I don't give a shit what Linus thinks
>>
>>54985273
Would you jump off a bridge if Linus told you to?
>>
>>54985216
>Why would you want to

Not sure what you mean by this.

But sorry, the word "best" was the wrong word there. I didn't mean to imply a BSD/MIT-style license is the best-possible license available out there. And in terms for the "MUH FREEDOM" I outlined in the post, I just meant that it was a decent choice for giving people and companies freedom to do what they want with code that used it.

>?
This shit is going into /pol/ territory, but I'll try to explain, briefly.

If you you violate the GPL (or any code license, really), the license-holders have might sue you. If you don't pay-up, you'll eventually be dragged to jail or prison. And if you refuse to be kidnapped and put in a cage, your only option is death, cuz nigga, ain't nothin' you can do about when cops are looking to arrest you. They always escalate until either they DO arrest you, or until you're dead. And all this happened because you didn't comply to what a piece of paper said you could do with someone else's code.

That's what I was getting at.

Cue the non-argument "you're delusional" and "go to Somalia" comments.
>>
>>54985285
I only see the copyright notice; the BSD license also requires inclusion of the list of conditions and disclaimer.
>>
>>54981501
>which would probably be really handy.
FreeBSD kernel development is very insular. Sure, read McKusicks book for fun, but good luck commiting code.
>>
>>54985397
How high is the barrier-to-entry for committing, anyway? Is it hard even to just get other people to commit your own changesets?
>>
>>54985337
>Cue the non-argument "you're delusional" and "go to Somalia" comments.

Just because you try to head it off at the pass doesn't mean it's any less dumb.
>>
>>54985337
>If you you violate the GPL (or any code license, really)
So, the BSD is in the same position. Then why would you use the argument of "give some assholes the power..." when referring to the GPL? Why are you trying to paint that specific license as being "evil" if its repercussions are identical to those of the BSD?
>Cue the non-argument "you're delusional" and "go to Somalia" comments.
No, I just want to see if you're capable of acknowledging your own hypocrisy.
>>
>>54981773
>Everybody knows BSD faggots are coffee shop hipsters: computer edition

No they're probably original beatniks and hippies because they've been alive writing code way before your obviously-teenage-self was born.
>>
>>54985426
I imagine if you send enough diffs to the mailing lists and they're good enough they'll give you a commit bit.

Which is why I never believed even for a second that Randi Harper ever worked on FreeBSD.
>>
>>54985429
I know it doesn't help anything, but I say it because I know I'm arguing against irrational people, and it's fun pointing-out how repetitive and predictable people's comments usually are. And my philosophy is that if you can't win, you might as well have fun.

It may not look like it, but I've been taking it easy in this thread. It's been a lot of fun chatting with everyone here.
>>
>>54985426
>>54985462
You have to be mentored for a few months/years and the devs have to be able to trust you before they'll give you a commit bit. You can commit stuff without a bit but you need someone with a commit bit to vouch for you and take responsibility if your code sucks.
>>
>>54982064
apple didn't even as much as say thank you.
>>
>>54985533
and yet microsoft actually donated to openbsd last year
>>
>>54985444
I'm not sure what to say, because I already addressed that in my earlier posts. If you ask, I'll repeat what I said, but I'd encourage you to read my earlier posts. Ctrl+F this thread for the word "practical".

>>54985500
On that note, NetBSD's pkgsrc is nice. You can get a commit bit for the 'wip' git repo just by asking for and providing a GPG key.

All you have to do is give a decent reason why you want commit rights, such as a new package you want to author or an improvement to something already in the repo.

The repo is also pretty work-in-progressy (hence the name 'wip'), so people don't generally mind if you make mistakes as you're learning.
>>
>>54982122
he IS in here, he just changed up his tactics
>>
>>54982023
>The average pleb in /g/ doesn't care about that shit. Most people here are either idiots

Yeah but there are also a lot of people here that are in tune with reality. Technology news has become utter shit increasingly difficult to escape. I'm not talking youtube commentators, but actual embedded silicon valley "journalists".
>>
>>54985601
OpenBSD has something similar.

They have a semi-official github for WIP ports that eventually get merged back into the CVS tree.
>>
>>54982204
>The whole world uses OpenSSH
except for microsoft
>>
>>54985634
Weren't they planning to integrate them in Windows? Not even in the Ubuntu thing, actual Windows integration.

I thought that's why they donated last year.
>>
>>54985533
Apple doesn't need to do anything more than what the license requires them to, which they have.
>waah Apple's following the rules
-you
>>
>>54985008
>legal troubles with a license so simple that doesn't need a lawyer to interpret it
what?
>>
>>54982204
>OpenBSD is a melting pot for new ideas and software

could be, but OpenBSD is more "we don't mind breaking everything if it means our next release will be improved." In other words, they're pioneers in being the earliest adopters of obviously positive and useful technology.
>>
>>54985612
Yes, the interesting and insightful people are why I visit /g/ at all. There is enough gold here to make it worth staying, even if it's frustrating seeing shitposts and consumer-electronics topics everywhere.

>>54985634
ACKSHULLY......

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powershell/2015/10/19/openssh-for-windows-update/
>>
>>54985655
Yeah they ported it to powershell
>>
>>54985098
>he doesn't know that linus was trying to covering his arse because he was called out for not following his own rules
>>
>>54982389
>How does it feel for evil, greedy, shitfuck companies like Microsoft and Apple to take your code and use it to basically destroy the technology industry with no intention of giving anything back to you?

BSD survived all commercial UNIX. I wouldn't count on it going anywhere.
>>
>>54982389
>don't contribute back
But they do.
>>
>>54982389
BSD licensed software is like donating your code for the bettering of technology
>GPL
Wah you need to contribute back and I'm going to dictate that your software also has to be open source
>BSD
Just give me credit

If BSD didn't exist you wouldn't have a massive adoption of GPLed software, you'd have a bunch of companies poorly reinventing the wheel because they don't want to deal with the GPL's terms. I'd much rather see them just use BSD software, even if they don't contribute back. Also, this >>54985804
>>
>>54985677
I'm not sure what you're talking about, Anon. Can you clarify?

On a related note, how simple a license is doesn't correlate with how safe it is to adopt. For example, the WTFPL, which is a stupid-simple license, is a no-no:

http://law.stackexchange.com/questions/104/does-the-wtfpl-legally-disclaim-warranties/106#106
>>
>>54982393
>Has the largest repos of 3rd-party software, which blows the other BSDs' repos out of the water.

OpenBSD actually has users on theirs. FreeBSD ports/packages is so broken and nobody uses them. Their policy is, "Oh, that built. Lets ship it."
>>
>>54985804
>>54985835
You're lying to yourself if he thinks he's looking for an intelligent argument.
>>
>>54985848
I don't care what sort of argument he's looking for, I'm just sick of these GPL worshiping faggots
>>
>>54985904
You're confused. Nobody here worships the GPL.
>>
>>54985842
GPL is full of details and so the interpretations differ to much.
For example, RMS says that non free kernel modules are derivate works from GPL, but Linus says not, and so. Both can be right with the adecuate interpretation. And that's not even the big of the problems.
BSD's are straight forward. You only have to credit the programmers, and don't sue them if you shit doesn't work.
>>
>>54985932
Sure thing bud
>>
>>54985844
Good point Anon. I ran into a lot of pain with FreeBSD's ports before, and its rolling-release nature.

I'm going to guess I've just been lucky, because none of my FreeBSD deployments in recent years have given me any Ports-related trouble.

>>54985848
Different Anon here, and I'd be inclined to degree. But the lines between being an idiot/troll and actually being legitimate here can be really blurry at times.

Sometimes I go along with it because trolls CAN sometimes kickstart legitimate discussion. And if they keep on trolling afterwards, their shitposting and non-arguments easily become evidence.

>>54985904
I went to a $wellKnownCompany-sponsored meetup in my city where we talked about the GPL a while ago. Everyone was sucking its dick so hard. And I REALLY wanted to, and really should've, made some counter-arguments against it.

But I decided to stay silent because I was afraid of dragging the aggression-and-the-state-are-immoral argument into into a room of 40 people. And I didn't want to risk my reputation with those people, for various reasons. I also didn't have it in me to be nuanced enough to figure out how to make my point without just out-right saying the GPL was pro-aggression.
>>
>people still acting like BSD is dying
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/freebsd-now-available-in-azure-marketplace/
>>
>>54985957
No problem senpai
>>
>>54986030
The GPL is pro-aggression as copyright law is pro-aggression. The GPL does not promote aggression and neither does copyright law.
>>
>>54985601
>I'm not sure what to say
You mean HOW to say it without acknowledging you're a hypocrite. Got it.
>practical
The GPL is just as practical. The "give some assholes the power..." is not an argument against the GPL because it applies to the BSD too.
>>
>>54986067
That's definitely bad wording on my part. Sorry, I'm just juggling too many topics here and sometimes I hit submit quicker than I should.

But here's my thinking:

>BSD license
"just give us credit"

>GPL license
"give us credit, AND publish your source code if you ever release anything into the public (even binaries)"

As a poor of a choice of wording as it is, it can be thought of as "pro-aggression" because it has more of a surface area that can be violated, and for which legal litigation can be brought-in.
>>
>>54985098
bug fixing is security idiot
>>
>>54985835
>BSD licensed software is like donating your code for the bettering of technology
GPL licensed software is like donating your code for the bettering of the world
>bunch of companies poorly reinventing the wheel
>I'd much rather see them just use BSD software
why would you care? how do you know they don't poorly modify the BSD software anyway?
>>54985941
>GPL is full of details and so the interpretations
the GPL is actually pretty clear
>RMS says that non free kernel modules are derivate works from GPL, but Linus says not
it doesn't matter, they don't get to decide what "derivative work" means; the court does
>BSD's are straight forward
just like the GPL; but apparently you're an idiot
>>54986160
>AND publish your source code
it's actually "publish the source of the work derived from mine"
>>
>>54986234
>GPL licensed software is like donating your code for the bettering of the world
Sure thing kid
>why would you care?
Because I end up using some of it. I'd rather them at least start out with something good than craft some in house piece of shit.
>>
>>54986030
ports works for situations where the user has a specific target, like netflix

FreeBSD is just a dead end for desktop use. They're falling behind on the graphics drivers, GNOME and Wayland are overwhelmingly Linux, they're developers are all macfags (some of their people actually joined apple), they're starting to cannibalize other projects (zfs) and pulling a linux (grafted on).
>>
I prefer the GPL but I run BSD on my home server
>>
>>54986310
>I end up using some of it.
confirmed apple cuck
>>
>>54986314
why
>>
>>54986314
yeah, I can conceded if I wasn't so poor I'd probably go with ixsystems, but in all fairness the desktop analog is debian. it is really just a no nonsense desktop given you know not to buy shit hardware
>>
>>54986310
>I'd rather them at least start out with something good than craft some in house piece of shit.
Why don't you just work for them if you write code for them anyway?
>I'm not competent enough for them to hire and pay me
Oh, that "something good" sure is quality!
>>
>>54986331
not him but why wouldn't you. bsd provides all the basic UNIX services exceptionally better than anything else.
>>
>>54986234
>>GPL is full of details and so the interpretations
>the GPL is actually pretty clear
Yeah, that's why you can found loopholes and need lawyers to interpret it.
>>
>>54986234
>GPL licensed software is like donating your code for the bettering of the world
HAHAHAHA
No.
It's the same shit as the BSD one.
>>
>>54986349
>need lawyers to interpret it.
hah its a license dumbshit
>>
>>54986349
>you can found
no surprise the mentally ill are also illiterate
>>
Openbsd was great on my laptop.
I had encrypted /home, all my drivers working, sound, even opengl with intel board.

but then I upgraded to 5.9 and suspend stopped working.
fuck I wanted to love it.

back to debian. I keep using openbsd on my firewall but it's impossible for a modern pc. No bluetooth. no c++. no fun
>>
>>54986347
>basic
that's why, it doesn't get past basic; it's not the 70's anymore
>>
>>54986349
simple loophole: put your shit behind a web interface like google did. no need to open source shit.
>>
>>54986349
The GPL intent is very clear, it's actually written inside the preamble. All the legal speak exists because there are people who do not understand the plain English that's written inside the preamble. If you abide by the explanation that's written inside the preamble, then it's easy to abide by the GPL.
>>
>>54986324
epik

>>54986345
I'd hope there are no companies who will hire someone as a programmer who knows no programming languages.
>>
>>54986378
>hah its a license dumbshit
Try to broke it.
See you in court :^)
>>54986378
>mentally ill
Since when the URSS got internet?
>>
>>54986392
>loophole
you don't seem to know what that is; the GPL is a distribution license, not an EULA; if you don't distribute the software, the GPL doesn't apply, it says so clearly in the license; are you literally retarded?
>>
File: marines.jpg (264KB, 764x465px) Image search: [Google]
marines.jpg
264KB, 764x465px
>>54986390
tell that to the government
>>
>>54986380
>no c++
What? GCC is included and you can get a newer version from the packages.
>>
>>54986398
>>54986398
My god, IT pros commenting law say the funniest shit ever.
The preamble doesn't matter, the corpus and the legalese does matter in law and after a court.
The preamble without the legalese is dead letter.
>>
>>54986410
>who knows no programming languages
accurate description of BSD shits
>>
>>54986439
eben moglen is the most eloquent in this category
>>
>>54986441
You're an edgy little twat aren't you
>>
>>54986461
>eben moglen
Confirmed as kike.
>>
>>54986468
why the salt, cuck?
>>
>>54986421
so distribute software that connects to web interface. it doesn't matter. the "loophole" is to get around the spirit of the gpl. which is to prevent code open source
you are literally a little combative cunt kid
>>
>>54986501
got a question for you
did you get banned in this thread yet? because for a while you were gone
>>
>>54986426
4.9 is the highest version you'll get in openbsd.
clang doesn't have newer libstdc++
forget c++ devel on openbsd.
not that they would care.
>>
>>54986392
Funny thing that this is against the "spirit" of the GPL.
>>
Thread's getting close to the post limit, and the shitposting only looks to be getting worse. Gonna call it quits.

It was a lot of fun chatting with you all (even the shitposting troll), and I can only hope that we can get another one of these cozy threads going again sometime soon.

I hope everyone here has been taking it easy, because I certainly have, despite all the heated dialog I partook in earlier in this 'ere thread.

Good night, and cheers, everyone!
>>
/bsd/ - GPL License Discussion
>>
>>54986519
literally stallman said it is against the spirit of open source what google is doing.
>>
>>54986426
>>54986517
Why are they stopping at 4.9.3 anyway?
>>
>>54986541
because the openbsd project has its own patches in GCC that aren't upstreamed so its a pain in the ass to maintain, probably
>>
File: urcucked.jpg (419KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
urcucked.jpg
419KB, 1200x1000px
>>54986501
this is you.
>>
>>54986539
Probably the GPL 4 will include a clause against that.
That will be a shitstorm.
>>
>>54986439
Then you cannot say that the GPL is difficult to understand when the intent of the GPL is written right there inside the GPL. If your actions abide by what the preamble actually describes, then it's very likely that your actions are GPL compatible.
>>
Who /PC-BSD/ or /FreeBSD/ here?
>>54986577
No need in making GPL
4, the current GPL does everything possible right.
>>
>>54986506
That's actually okay but that's a different issue. That issue is no longer software distribution but network services. You are not the first person to think about network services and GPL distribution.
>>
>>54986506
are you illiterate or russian?
>>
>>54986539
Now that's 100% pure bullshit! I know that Stallman will never say such a thing.
>>
>>54986611
>You are not the first person to think about netwo
did I say I was?
all open source licenses are useless in the face of "cloud computing" bullshit
>>
>>54986510
>for a while you were gone
just like this thread
>>
File: full_retard.jpg (92KB, 961x536px) Image search: [Google]
full_retard.jpg
92KB, 961x536px
>>54981877
>an operating system isn't an operating system
>and it sure as fuck isn't technology!

You're getting worked up over absolutely nothing, and losing your mind in the process. You're not even entirely sure why you're mad, just that "contrarian hipsters" are everywhere and it's a conspiracy. Or something.

>muh botnet freedoms are being threatened by the puffer fish gnu license! the contrarian hipster kiddos are working with the cia niggers to destroy android from within! the google saucers are coming to relicense firefox!

What in the literal fuck are you even saying?

lol
>>
>>54986647
didn't answer my question
>>
>>54986527
>Gonna call it quits.
good, stop making these useless threads
>>
>>54986623
he said what they are doing is not useful for the community, and is harmful for open source in general. try following his css
>>
>>54986665
rss?
>>
>>54986648
he's literally insane
he's so mad because he can't figure out BSD
>>
>>54986663
for all we know you're the ones making them, barneyfag
>>
>>54986587>>54986587
Again:
The intent doesn't matter in a court.
The legalese is.
And the GPL does lots of trickery only to circumvent copyright law.
Even the intent can be interpreted too.
>>
>>54986559
>mad for getting told
:^)
>>
>>54986517
so basically openbsd will always be old shit that requires hundreds of patches/crap to get ports to build.

good to know I'll stay away thanks
>>
>>54986712
>haha le TOLD BTFO
every fucking thread lmao
>>
>>54986729
we don't want you either
>>
>>54986729
>wanting modern and bad made shit in my purist system
No.
>>
>>54986663
I can't resist the italics in the Thread Watcher. Fuck.

But I'm not the OP, Anon. And hell, I even posted >>54981363 to fuck with the OP a little bit, despite all the Free/Open/NetBSD stuff, and anti-GPL and MUH FREEDOMZZZ stuff I partook in earlier.

I wonder if I'm the person solely responsible for this thread not just getting ignored and dying like it usually does. It felt like I kickstarted nearly every discussion we've had here.

Either way, I'm happy the thread did well. Shit was cozy.
>>
>>54986730
>le damage control memes
REKT
E
K
T
>>
>>54985493
>people are literally being imprisoned and killed over software licenses
>everyone else is irrational, though

Huh?
>>
>>54986826
what motivates you to do this every day
>>
>>54986729
>hundreds of patches/crap to get ports to build
literally baked-in security out of your way
enjoy all the broken shit to achieve this in your OS
>>
>>54985844
This is a good point. The OpenBSD packages for each version are actually built with those exact ports, so you know they'll build. I suspect the number of working packages for FreeBSD and OpenBSD is much closer than it looks.
>>
>>54982389
And Google. Oh wait, they don't bother releasing the sources for their linux, and they've only released very few patches. GPL BTFO. Where is your god now, troll?
>>
>>54980005
Sadly, it is. Generals are utter shit.
Generals need to be banned from all boards.
>>
>>54982389
Spotted the capitalist.
When you said you disliked anarchy and disliked the idea of not having licences, you revealed yourself as a capitalist and revealed that the GPL is only useful for capitalists.
>>
>>54982775
They aren't all mean. It's a generational thing. The newer ones are hipster faggots that, having fucked over OS X, are leaving in droves and invading. Only the oldfag neckbeards remember their BSD brethren.
>>
>>54988269
I'm in the same age-bracket as a hipster, but I use FreeBSD and OpenBSD.

I did use Linux for many years, but I was never one of those "Windows$ suxxxxxx" retards. Though I did eventually move on *BSD because they're more stable (in terms of shit not changing all the time) and I like their highly-technical communities.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.