[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

laptop battery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: wtwtw.jpg (36KB, 412x547px) Image search: [Google]
wtwtw.jpg
36KB, 412x547px
in order for your battery to last you a long time, should you take it out of the notebook when you're at home or should you just keep the battery in the notebook forever?
>>
somehow relevant to your question:
http://www.powerstream.com/Storage.htm
>>
If you have a replacable battery why do you care? Use your shit and replace when/if needed, stop the autism
>>
>>54958267
Keep it in but let it run down to about 30% every now and then. Remove for long term storage, making sure it is 50% to 70% charged.

I have an 18 year old Toshiba 460CDT that spent 8 years in storage, that still holds two hours of charge thanks to this method.
>>
>>54958585
>I have an 18 year old Toshiba 460CDT that spent 8 years in storage, that still holds two hours of charge thanks to this method.

Your old laptop has NiMH batteries, not lithium based batteries. You treat them differently. Lithium batteries have a 30 month half-life, regardless of charge cycles, from the moment the components are mixed. Charge cycles further reduce their capacity.
>>
>>54958267
>in order for your battery to last you a long time, should you take it out of the notebook when you're at home or should you just keep the battery in the notebook forever?

Don't leave the battery plugged in when it's 100% full, especially if the laptop is going to get hot. Functional capacity is reduced as lithium batteries get hotter which can cause them to be effectively overcharged and cause damage.

No matter what you're going to have a shit lithium battery in 3 years and you should expect to replace it or relegate the machine to desktop work only.
>>
The thing I understand about keeping a laptop in storage for a long time is to keep that shit around 50%, or what >>54958585 said.

But what about Lithion-Ion battery laptops that you use 24/7? Should you let it cycle between 10% - 90% (since fully charging and then discharging makes battery kill), or is it okay to always keep it plugged in and topped-off?

And when the laptop is not in use, let's say for a few hours, do you still want to keep it plugged in?

Thanks anons.
>>
>>54958995
in use
>plugged in or battery but never let the battery go down to 0%

storage
>charge it between 50~70% and turn it off

suspend
>leave it unplugged (additionally I turn wireless/wifi off, seems that even in suspend it helps draining the battery faster when not plugged in, macbooks do that for example)

charging
>leave it plugged in and just disconnect it when it seems fully charged (I never leave it plugged in all night, if I need it for the day I make sure charging it the night before)
>>
>>54958512
what if you're a poorfag who skipped dinner for a year to get a laptop?
>>
>>54958945
my 1997 Toshiba Libretto (19 years old) has Li-Ion batteries so stop making assumptions without knowing for sure.
>>
>>54959347
Thanks anon!

Another quick question: Does having your battery get stupidly close to being completely discharged -- say 1% away -- have an impact on the lifespan? And how does it compare to say, 3%, or 8%? Or does the threshold not matter as long as it's not *completely* discharged?

Curious, because I shat myself earlier today when I managed to get my battery down to 1% earlier today. (Battery indicator in the taskbar stopped updating properly, and I only noticed it by complete chance in a desktop application that showed the remaining battery life.)
>>
>>54959432
>my 1997 Toshiba Libretto (19 years old) has Li-Ion batteries so stop making assumptions without knowing for sure.

Then you're full of shit. You have a new battery or different chemistry. You do not have a lithium battery that old that holds any appreciable charge.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.