[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 379
Thread images: 35

There wasn't a stupid questions thread up. So now there is. Ask your stupid questions here. Don't bump, you aren't entitled to an answer.

Remember to Bing It™ before you bring it.
>>
Is there a node module that generates qr code png images (base64 strings)?
>>
Pebble time or Moto 360 1st gen or something else?
I like custom watch faces can the pebble do that with any wallpaper I want? What are good apps for either?
>>
Mac or Linux?
>>
My fucking dog bit my phone.

Most of the screen is dead, but I still managed to copy the data off the device onto my computer. Thank goodness.

Anything else I can do before I toss the thing into the garbage?
>>
How do you browse youtube videos by most recently uploaded?
>>
I'm new to Adobe After Effects. I have many layers of video scattered in the project randomly and I need them at the beginning of the project to organise them. Is there a way to do this easily, without draggin every single layer maually? Or is there some other way to organize the clips?
>>
I just installed my second 980Ti on this build
>CPU
>MOBO
Gigabyte GA-Z170MX
>Ram
2 X 8 GB 2400 DDR4
>SSD
850 Evo
>HDD
2 TB 7200 RPM
3 TB 5400 RPM
>CPU cooler
Corsair h80i set as push pull
>Fans
3 120mm fans

I have a corsair cx750m 750W 80+ Bronze power supply currently in the build. I'm aware this is on the low end of PSUs and should be getting a Rosewill Quark 850W 80+ Platinum within a day or two. I want to know is it safe to use my current PSU until my new one arrives or should I hold off and wait?
>>
>>54944995
Linux

>>54945003
By subscriptions or by all youtube videos uploaded by anyone?
>>
what's a good monitor to get for sideways browsing, i'm planning on gettting a 27" 1440p 140h as my main monitor.
>>
>>54945029
it's safe

Don't leave it on too long though
>>
Is there's any way to make a laptop run faster?
clean the drives, use win97 skin, etc?
>>
>>54945038
No, I mean say I am just browsing and want to view the newest videos that have been uploaded to youtube? Is this possible? I do not have a youtube account
>>
>>54944605
I went on the internet on my flipphone (Nokia 2720). I get 2gb data to use monthly from my provider. Is this the data that my flipphone uses up or will i have to pay extra bc it's not a smartphone? I haven't found any information on my flipphones internet, i know it's not WiFi
>>
Got a quick one.

Every time I start my computer or re-connect to my wireless, the internet on my desktop won't work for a few minutes, then it does. Everything connects fine, but when I try to visit a site, it won't work until I let it sit for a few minutes.

I recently discovered that during this time, a svchost process is running at a constant 25% cpu load and when the internet starts working correctly, it goes down to normal. I thought this might be my connection configuring but then I tried ending the task while it was still running at 25% and my connection immediately started working fine.

I've already run several virus scans because I know svchost is a common vector for that shit, but nothing came up besides some tracking cookies here and there.

So what the fuck could possibly be going on?
>>
I have an old laptop that's nonfunctional now. the screen no longer works and i'm sure the fan or something else might have ceased to work as well. is it possible to transfer the laptop data from the harddrive into the desktop i'm building and use that copy of windows as well? if so, how?
>>
File: Screenshot (64).png (67KB, 1870x344px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (64).png
67KB, 1870x344px
I'm building a PC and budgeted by the Excellent tier for all my parts and case. Save for the vid-card. I sprung for a GTX 980.

Will this cause compatibility problems?
>>
>>54945353
Forgot to say i'm going by logicalincrements.com
>>
>>54945117
I don't think there is a way to do that, sorry.

I doubt you're missing much, though. Hundreds of videos are uploaded each second and most of it is probably garbage.

If you're desperate, you can dig around in the Youtube API for something.
https://developers.google.com/youtube/
>>
>>54944868
Pebbel's colors are lacking
>>
>>54945353
it won't
>>
>>54945369
Thank you kind sir
>>
>>54945353
no you faggot
>>
>>54945351
Use a sata cable. If you plan on actually keeping that drive you should find a caddy since desktop drives are 3.5 inches and laptop drives are 2.5 inches
>>
>>54944996
Tear it apart and throw it at your dog
>>
I just can't seem to get rid of screen tearing in antergos. have a 750ti and installed the nvidia drivers enabled g-sync but they wont go away when playing video. any ideas?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>54945093
I assume by too long you mean over 24 hours correct? Anyway thanks for the help. Here's a picture of the newly completed build.
>>
>>54945115
Try a different operating system
>>
>>54945772
>/g/ - Technology
my file explorer on windows 10 wont open when i installed the os
>>
>>54945692
install windoo
>>
/r/ing that thermal paste benchmark picture
>>
File: Speccy cap.png (79KB, 757x536px) Image search: [Google]
Speccy cap.png
79KB, 757x536px
I go this laptop from a friend second hand, it's plenty old but runs well enough. I keep getting this blue screen error randomly though. It says that some drivers are not 'equal or less' recently to fix another problem we upgraded graphics drivers. i think that might be it. My question is, what is this? and how do i solve it?
>Here's the speccy if it helps
>>
File: 1464724637359.png (391KB, 756x542px) Image search: [Google]
1464724637359.png
391KB, 756x542px
Why is compiling source code using gcc/g++/msbuild/fucking any cgywin or mingw you can pull out your ass in windows so goddamn hard?

Whenever I try, it always ends up needing a whole bunch of extra files I never have on my computer; and when I get them, it needs more. Half the time it won't even recognize the .c or .h file it specifically requested I have in the folder, in the folder.

And Makefiles don't do shit either. whenever I try to use the "make" command a error comes back to bite me in my ass. "no such file or directory" here, and "invalid command" there.

Keep in mind, this is source code from online. Open-source shit that numerous other people seem to have gotten without a fucking hitch. Source code damn-near guaranteed to compile correctly by the author, and source code I have never altered or messed with. all I've done was unzip the shit.

No, README's don't tell me anything. I make it a point to gather any dependencies the file is sure to need. Half the time they just write one word synopsises of what it's supposed to be, but even when they attempt to tell me how to compile, it NEVER works.

Please /g/, all I wan't to do is to be able to compile any source code. ANY. It's not even about functionality anymore, i've turned completly autistic with rage over how to accomplish this simple fucking task. I know it shouldn't be this hard.
>>
>>54945772
It's windows 8, what are you recommending?
it's i5 4200 1.6ghz
4gb ram
radeon 8530m 2gb

doesn't sound so bad on paper,
I just want my pc to boot, use file explorer, alt tab, etc, in a fast, steady pace, instead of lagging about.

Apparently there's something with the switchable graphics on this laptop, I tried to make it only on "maximum performance" (meaning the gpu and not the cpu's gpu I guess)
but it will show up the cpu's gpu on the dxdiag menu...
>>
I have a Play & Charge Kit for my wireless xbox 360 which I use to play on my PC.

I'm trying to charge the battery by plugging the kit into a phone charger, but it doesn't appear to be enough charge or something since the LED light on the kit is off, although the controller turns on while it's charging.

How do you charge this shit without an xbox console?
>>
What is the best browser?
>>
Need a good resource for Microsoft Server 2012 410, 411, 412 study/exam guides.
>>
what does /g/ use for IT certs?
i found CompTIA offers some but i don't know if theres competition or what.

>>54945995
chromium for muh freedoms. its open source
firefox has gotten very buggy and slow since the SJWs took it over. IE is still garbage but not as bad.
chrome is a botnet but still high quality.
anything other than these listed is meme tier and will have shitty settings and limitations. for example Opera does not let you highlight text and search google for that text.
>>
>>54945899
>./configure && make && make install

>why is compiling shit on windows so hard
Its windows

>other sources
Its called deps, you dont have them, get them.
Each dep has its own deps,chain down etc.
Thats just how it is. Nothing you can do,but pull in basic sources and have them locally in case shit needs it
>>
>>54945899
>he fell for the mingw meme
The is only one option for coding C++ on windows. Visual Studio. anyone who tells you otherwise is trolling. I fell into the trap before, and I see a new person on here nearly every day who fell for it.
>>
>>54946074
A+ is kind of industry standard, no one really gives a shit if you know how to plug in a computer, but it's expected to be there. Figure out what you want to do and get certified in those things. Want to do networking? Get your Net+ or CCNA.

Experience trumps everything though. You can be the most certed up motherfucker on the block, but if you have no practical knowledge, you'll lose that job to Pajeet every time.
>>
good idea for android app ?
>>
>>54945312
Shitty drivers or shitty OS. Upgrade/reinstall.
>>54945899
Development on Windows is shit in everything but C#. Dual boot to Linux and cross compile, if needed.
>>54945995
Chromium.
>>54946193
Write an app that uses the gyroscope to calculate scores for various acrobatics, that phones do, when you throw them into the air.
>>
>>54946193
app that works with facetime
>>
>>54946074
>>54946322
What is your opinion on Maxthon?
>>
>>54946467
chinese botnet to steal your data
>>
I have a Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 motherboard, with their on/off USB charging, where you can charge stuff while the computer is off. Sometimes it doesn't work. There were some kind of drivers for that originally. It's the motherboard to blame, or my crappy four year old Windows 7 installation?

Are any AM3+ CPUs good enough to power the Vive for glorious VR?

If I swap out only my CPU, do I need to switch any drivers or reformat, for a Windows 7 or Linux install?
>>
>>54946193
Satellite watching app with Facebook integration.
>>
>>54946091
>>./configure && make && make install
>./configure:command not found

fuck this, i'm installing debian
>>
>>54946467
>>54946510
This.
>>
How do I become a good programmer from scratch and getting job at software company?
>>
Having some issues, not computer literate at all. Used to use XBMC to stream media to my xbox in my living room, updated to Win 10 and can no longer do so.

Just figured out I can right click on media and stream it directly to my xbox from my PC, which has the downside of not being able to choose content from the living room, but I'll deal with it.

Anyway, my issue is that the streaming itself wouldn't work until I realised I had to manually enable media streaming in Windows' 'Media Streaming Options' page. For whatever reason it was turned off by default.

However, after restarting, it allows defaults to 'off', meaning I have to manually enable it.

Anyone got any idea what's causing this?
>>
How do I get Stallman to materialise in my room?
>>
What's a good email client to use on Windows?
>>
>>54946825
He's only a bottle of pills away
>>
>>54944996
Kill your dog
>>
>>54946856
Gmail.
>>
How do I recover page from cache (Chrome)? There is one website I want to look at, but meanwhile it got deleted. But I have the original version still saved in my Chrome cache and looking for ways how to "decrypt" it.
>>
>>54946898
I don't like how Gmail forces you into having a Google account; I want an email client that's seperate from other services.
>>
How good is LaTex compared to word?

Does it take a lot of time to set up a program to work in Wine?

Do you do that once and have it work just like other programs from thereon or do you have to go through the process each time you run it?
>>
Is there something better than Precision X? It's a fucking piece of shit that never works right.
>>
what are some g approved VPNs?
>>
>>54947194
No one ever responds, im assuming on one on this board uses one,contrary to the shitposting they do about using vpn's
>>
>>54947212
teens/neets can't afford VPN
>>
>>54947253
How can one know about a good vpn, if one has no references that arent biased?
>>
>>54947194
can't say it's /g/ approved, but nordvpn is probably the most secure for the price and has some neat features, it's also pretty fast. been using it for over 6 months
>>
Thoughts on openmailbox?
>>
>>54947284
why do you need vpn anyways? are you a pedo?
>>
>>54947495
Why are you using https? Are you a terrorist?
>>
>>54946925
http://superuser.com/questions/411506/how-to-view-chromes-cached-web-page
>>
>>54947474
They dont use openvpn.
>>>/trash/
>>
File: .png (38KB, 677x727px) Image search: [Google]
.png
38KB, 677x727px
Why can't I use this fucking ping even while in I'm using an administrators account in the administrator command prompt?
what the fuck
>>
>>54947506
Why isn't your SSN included in your post signature? Are you some kind of hacker?
>>
>>54947530
you can use openvpn if you'd like, they just give you the option to use their own program too.
>>
>>54947194
relevant
https://archive.is/nIhse
>>
>>54947535
ping /?

Usage: ping [-t] [-a] [-n count] [-l size] [-f] [-i TTL] [-v TOS]
[-r count] [-s count] [[-j host-list] | [-k host-list]]
[-w timeout] [-R] [-S srcaddr] [-4] [-6] target_name

Options:
-t Ping the specified host until stopped.
To see statistics and continue - type Control-Break;
To stop - type Control-C.
-a Resolve addresses to hostnames.
-n count Number of echo requests to send.
-l size Send buffer size.
-f Set Don't Fragment flag in packet (IPv4-only).
-i TTL Time To Live.
-v TOS Type Of Service (IPv4-only. This setting has been deprecated
and has no effect on the type of service field in the IP Header).
-r count Record route for count hops (IPv4-only).
-s count Timestamp for count hops (IPv4-only).
-j host-list Loose source route along host-list (IPv4-only).
-k host-list Strict source route along host-list (IPv4-only).
-w timeout Timeout in milliseconds to wait for each reply.
-R Use routing header to test reverse route also (IPv6-only).
-S srcaddr Source address to use.
-4 Force using IPv4.
-6 Force using IPv6.

Perhaps because you are using it wrong?
>>
I was trying to do a Dual boot between Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

Did every step I found. Partitioned my drive with the Windows Disk Manager, created unallocated space of around 30gb, then proceeded to boot into the Ubuntu cd.

However, during installation I got to a point where It asked me ''Install alongside Windows 7'' or ''Something else''.

After a quick search it seemed like everybody suggested the first choice.

Installation was completed but, after restarting, I only had one choice to boot into which was Ubuntu. So I think It erased my previous Windows install.

How do I fix this? Is the correct choice ''Something else'' if I already partitioned my drive before hand?
>>
>>54947622
Usage: ping [-t] [-a] [-n count] [-l size] [-f] [-i TTL] [-v TOS]
[-r count] [-s count] [[-j host-list] | [-k host-list]]
[-w timeout] [-R] [-S srcaddr] [-c compartment] [-p]
[-4] [-6] target_name

>[-c compartment]
?
>>
>>54945967
Inside the controller it says 5V == 450mA. The phone adapter is 5V == 2A. With my phone charging on the same adapter it's 1A.

Any reason why the battery on the controller seemingly won't charge?
>>
File: Untitled.png (70KB, 1126x713px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
70KB, 1126x713px
what do I put in for username?

i know I didn't have to censor the information but I like colouring desu.

This is with leaseweb btw.
>>
>>54947766
The username they/you created after root was created
>>
>>54947693

pls respond
>>
File: Selection_090.png (1MB, 861x468px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_090.png
1MB, 861x468px
>>54947813
well damn, I don't remember creating a username. Can't find anything other than pic related in my email, the link only leading to what's contained here >>54947766

Out of desperation I even tried my order number. I'll look through different parts of their website but I just can't find and info on it.
>>
>>54947908
>if you need further assistance please contact 4chan@g
>>
Are some SATA cables slower than others?
>>
i'm considering buying an ATC bot, or something similar to buy shoes.

where can i get started on how to do that myself? idc if it takes me months to learn.
>>
>>54948094
Yes, goyim. Always buy the diamond-tipped cables. Just like HDMI.
>>
what's the best detachable laptop/tablet hybrid that i can get used on ebay for like $300-400 or less
>>
no one taught me the basics of networking so be gentle.

I have a phone attached to a router's wifi network. 10.0.0.0 This router is connected to a modem/switch 192.168.0.0
my machine is attached to the 192 network. How would I go about pinging my mobile phone with my computer?
>>
>>54947703
ping -- send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST packets to network hosts

SYNOPSIS
ping [-AaDdfnoQqRrv] [-c count] [-G sweepmaxsize] [-g sweepminsize]
[-h sweepincrsize] [-i wait] [-l preload] [-M mask | time] [-m ttl]
[-P policy] [-p pattern] [-S src_addr] [-s packetsize] [-t timeout]
[-W waittime] [-z tos] host

>?
The clueless response is exactly what I was trying to point out.
>>
>>54948206
diamond?
Get on my level faggot, fucking palladium or nothing
>>
File: google.jpg (88KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
google.jpg
88KB, 1280x720px
>>54948177
>>
>>54948349
Your phone is not on your network.It would not have a 10.X.X.X address.
>>
Anyone know where I can download a clean Windows 7 Ultimate ISO?
>>
What are people's experiences buying used gpu's?
I'm thinking of picking up a used 970 off of craigslist or amazon or something once the 1070 comes out but I've never bought anything used before, much less something as significant as a gpu.
Is it generally safe?
>>
>>54948583
Dont buy used tech. There could be a fuck ton of issues they dont know about, and will shop up with you use it. Seeing how prefectly new delivered from newegg/amazon have faliures....
>>
>>54948620
ok, so if I stick with getting a 970 or 980 straight from the seller on amazon or newegg approximately how long would it take for the price drops?
The 1080 already came out and the 1070 is coming out on the 10th.
>>
>>54945786
reinstall it you lil shit
>>
>>54948636
*soon*
If you're going to keep waiting for the next thing to come out, you're never going to get anything new
>>
Is windows defender a decent enough anti virus for someone who's not a moron? I fucking hate Avast, but it's what I've been using for years.
>>
i was trying to move all Firefox boomarks i had of a specific site to a specific folder. I did not realize that the "search boomarks" search in the Library was not folder-specific even though it appeared i was viewing only the contents of the highlighted folder on the side. I accidentally deleted every bookmark of the specific site instead of moving it from one folder to another.

Is there any way for me to restore my instantly mass-deleted bookmarks?
>>
>>54948674
I'm not going to keep waiting, I'm just going to wait for the pascal nvidia cards to come out.
I originally was planning on getting the 1070 but my brother pointed out to me that I'm only going to be gaming on a 1080p screen with a refresh rate of 60hz, so I probably don't need anything more powerful than a 980 anyway.

So I instead decided to go with the 970 instead. This is slightly off topic but do you know if the reference design for the 970 is worth buying? Best buy is selling that for pretty cheap compared to the custom cooled 970's but I'm not sure if reference design is good or not.
>>
>>54946962
>Does it take a lot of time to set up a program to work in Wine?
depends on the program, ranges from
- installs and runs exactly as in windows, with no additional effort
- might need one or two additional things added to the prefix, common stuff can be added using winetricks
- manually changing things
instructions for anything that works can be seen on wine's appdb website (should be your first stop when going to install a new windows program)

>Do you do that once and have it work just like other programs from thereon or do you have to go through the process each time you run it?
just once, assuming nothing breaks with a newer version of wine (pretty rare, but regressions are a thing that exist)
i'd also recommend install programs in their own prefixes, for several reasons, such as;
- far easier to have per-program wine settings and additional libraries installed (such as from using winetricks)
- if you fuck something up, you're only affecting that prefix
- can selectively move/keep these prefixes between linux installations (and probably other OS's wine runs on)
>>
>>54948715
You should have a backup bookmark by default.
If not, you should restore from your backups
>>
>>54948548
so there is nothing I can do with static routing or NAT? I suck at networking, but isn't there a way to configure the network devices to follow a route back to the 192 network?
>>
>>54948750

HEY, dude, thanks for the reply, it means a lot, seriously, but, i googled it and discovered an undo button under "organize" in the Library window i spoke of. Sorry. sorry for wasting everyone's time... i'm really embarrassed about it now... i was just really anxious cause it was like 6+ months of browsing lost..

thank you again, but, sorry, i googled it and found my answer
>>
>>54948764
Check the router configs, it seems you have 2 dhpcd servers running on your network, or you
Your devices are on two seperate wans.
>>
>>54948785
I wasnt being an asshole. I checked my firefox dir and i had a backup dated last night.I dosent have any extensions.

Seeing how you dont have a viable backup solution, let this scare push you towards a proper backup system :^)
>>
Is buying a reference gtx 970 a good idea? They're pretty cheap and they look nice but I'm a little worried about airflow since people have been saying the reference cards have a blower style fan (I don't know what this means).
Would it be fine if I bought one or is it very highly recommended to buy a custom cooled card?
>>
>>54948764
Could you clarify your setup. Is your modem/switch an ISP provided router and how is it connected to your other router?
>>
>>54948576
Bump for this, please help.
>>
>>54948938
oh, sorry, i didn't mean to come-off as if i thought your response was sinister or anything; i was just trying to say, i was freaking-out, and in my freakout sought help from /sqt/. So, thank you for helping me, truly... it means a lot since i felt betrayed and vulnerable as pathetic as that sounds...

and, for sure. backups out the ass from now on, cause losing my shit would've sucked. Cheers.
>>
File: 1464616317355.jpg (52KB, 550x336px) Image search: [Google]
1464616317355.jpg
52KB, 550x336px
>>54948996
>>
>>54948995
You can use the windows media creation tool to download an iso and then enter the key.
>>
Hey /g/ I'm going g to be building my first desktop in a month or so, what do you remember ccomend to protect components from! Electroshock damage?

Should I buy leather gloves or anything else that is not conductive to prevent the chance of ruining my setup?
>>
>>54948971
Custom coolers will be quieter but the 970 runs pretty cool anyways
Either way right now is a bad time to buy a new card.
>>
>>54949023
Yeah I plan on waiting a few weeks after the 1070 comes out so that the price will drop a bit more, but I've pretty much decided on getting the 970. Just wanted to know if the reference version was a good purchase since that seems to be the cheapest version.
>>
a. Is there any material that can quickly cooldown a phone externally and is portable?

b. I am currently subscribing to two different mobile operators' unlimited UMTS plan. Is there anyway to aggregate their bandwidth on my amdroid dualsim phone?
>>
>>54949011
Don't use gloves, that will just make things worse
Plug in the PSU, flip the switch on and touch the casing to discharge any static buildup
Don't assemble it on a static prone surface
If you're really paranoid you can one of those bracelets but whatever
>>
>>54949009
Thanks for the reply.

That's only for Windows 10, though. I'm looking for 7. All of the fucking torrents online as shady as shit, too. I downloaded one for use in a VM and the damn thing detects it as Windows 8.1.

Anyone got a torrent or a mega link?
>>
>>54949060
http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
>>
>>54949060
Wait do you have a legitimate key or are you using a cracked version?
>>
Are there any good 8 GB RAM laptops out there that have a DVD drive and are less than 450 bucks? I can only seem to get 2/3 on this.
>>
I need to reinstall windows 7 on my desktop after windows 10 corrupted my install.
How can I make a Win 7 install USB from Linux?
I tried Unetbootin but it did not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated
>>
Does cookie stealing still work over wifi?
I 'stole' my own cookie using wireshark and some guide but I can't figure out how to do it to another machine on my network.
I'm trying to get cookies from
>facebook
>>
I'm having some issues with python versions on a cluster of machines.
When I type "Which python" on one machine it points to /usr/local/bin/python2.7 but on all of the others it points to the older version (2.6) located in /usr/bin. The .bashrc file has no aliases, how else is the python location defined? I just want to make all servers use the same version of python by default, but with centos you are required to keep python 2.6.6
>>
>>54949060
I heard there are such link on MSDN? As in, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/hh442898.aspx#searchTerm=windows%207&ProductFamilyId=0&Languages=en&ProductFamilyIds=350&PageSize=10&PageIndex=0&FileId=0
>>
>>54949088
Get an external drive? What do you need it for?
>>
Is there anything I can burn to a DVD from another computer to fix a 0xc0000225 error on Windows 7?

The only thing I'm able to boot into is OneKey System Recovery, but attempting to restore to factory defaults causes a "Structure is incorrect, you may have to recreate the partition" dialogue box to appear
>>
>>54949214
Divert all connections through your computer first before it his the router
>>
>>54949200
I think I was able to just use dd for Windows 7.
>>
>>54949317
My old laptop broke and I don't want to pay to fix it since it was barely scraping by anyway, I just need something that can play some shitty Steam games but also has a DVD drive so I can take it with me and watch DVDs on-the-go
>>
>>54949011
reddit.com/r/buildapc
ask here, people are really nice
>>
>>54949324
Ok, I'll try that.
I didn't need to do anything like that before. meh
thanks
>>
My laptop has a 1366x768 screen, is there any way I can replace it with a higher screen?

It's a toshiba satellite p745-s4102 if that helps
>>
python (3) stupid question:

I have a set with the form
{"A;B", "A", "C"}
I want to split all the strings within the set, but keep it as a set. functionally, it is:

new_set = set()

for element in set:
split_el = element.split(';')
for el in split_el:
new_set.update(el)

Is there any way to do this in a functional form, or avoiding either loops or list/set comprehension?

Thanks
>>
>>54949353
>fumbling with discs to watch 720 × 480 video in 2016

wtf is wrong with you? Just copy them to something else and quadruple your battery life. They're only like 4.7 GB each.
>>
>>54949427
poster here

My intended output is {"A","B","C"}
>>
>>54949422
no
>>
>>54949436
Its just a convenience thing, DVDs don't take up any memory
>>
Should I just give up on Windows 7 and finally upgrade to 8/10, or should I stay on it as long as possible?
>>
>>54949469
They take up the physical volume of a few terabytes contemporary storage. Why do you still bother with that low res shit? I stopped accepting them for free several years ago, unless no better source existed. Just get an ultrabook or something and a $10 netflix subscription.
>>
File: pythonhelp.png (46KB, 800x195px) Image search: [Google]
pythonhelp.png
46KB, 800x195px
>>54949231
I've attached an image that helps explain my issue if anyone is able to help
>>
>>54949505
I don't have a few terabytes, I have a shelf full of DVDs, and believe it or not, some people don't buy into the resolution meme meant to sell you slightly clearer pictures every 5 years
>>
>>54949519
compile it your self so it is the system default python for your servers.
>>
>>54949077
Cracked

>>54949076
>>54949316
Thanks guys.
>>
>>54949542
This won't effect yum on centos 6.7? All of the guides I've followed on installing python 2.7 on centos required me to make an alt install from the source and run it from /usr/local/bin. I'm not understanding how "which python" on the master node brings up the proper location, but on the other nodes I had to add it to bashrc.
>>
>>54949526
>watching the same movies repeatedly
kek

Why don't you bring some books instead of watching shit quality video on a tiny screen?
>>
File: 16025616573_29ae205bbe_z.jpg (148KB, 640x537px) Image search: [Google]
16025616573_29ae205bbe_z.jpg
148KB, 640x537px
I just got my first microcontroller + dev board and I want to know if I made a good choice. Board is pic related and it comes with a 32-bit PIC32MX250F128B, it has 32K of RAM and 128K of flash.

I've had a bit of experience with PIC micros before. I used an 8-bit PIC16F877 in a class once and programmed in BASIC. I didn't get much out of the class though and have no other microcontroller and limited programming experience. I would have gotten an Arduino except this was almost the same price ($23) and I'm studying EE and I feel like the Arduino was too hobbyist oriented and not industry oriented enough. I will probably be using this for a lot of hobbyist projects but I'd like to be able to bring the skills to a job if I need to.

I've only programmed in VB, BASIC, and labview (lol). I have no experience programming in C or assembly but I'll just have to learn I guess. Did I fuck up?
>>
>>54949591
>enjoying things you know you enjoy from past experience is bad

I don't even have a response for this. I forget how retarded people on 4chan are sometimes. Thanks for reminding me
>>
I need a storage device to get all my shit together from my "zombie computers."
Is the "WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)" from Amazon with a fanned docking station for $76.98 my best bet?

I plan on getting another HDD when actually building my PC later this year.
>>
>>54949586
I dont know how yum manages shits, but it should notice it is a higher version and tell you or skips it because it is newer(atleast pacman does). you i imagine you can list it on the blacklist.

Make sure their paths are all correct too
>>
Is overclocking really as easy as it looks

Get good mobo gigabyte for example and 6600k, then just open the app and it auto overclocks to whatever it finds most stable?

I really hate the idea of fucking around with voltages and things like that myself. I always fuck stuff up by going too far every time cuz I'm a greedy shit
>>
I'll be moving into a dorm soon, and I always hear horror stories about people getting their laptops stolen from their room. So, does anyone know what to look for in a laptop lock? I didn't know these even existed until recently, so I'm clueless as to what I should be looking for. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>>
Are Dell Inspirons pretty decent laptops? Or is it like that Lenovo shit where they work like magic for a year and then shit their pants?
>>
Can anyone think of a program (or simple method) that can do the following for me?
>Take a PDF with the following specs and split EACH layer (5000+ layers) JPEG
>PDF is 3.5x3.5
>First layer is a picture, each layer after is just an image of a county on a translucent background
>Runs on Windows 7

But WHY?....
>Work as a programmer at a graphic design firm
>I have a client that requires us to generate postcards with a bunch of random information on them, and then a map of the county they live in
>Usually we get a batch of 3-5k images, I usually can write a simple code to tell the program to pull the right image based on flags in the data
>About time for our monthly mailing
>Client wants to use new images, whatever
>Turns out the graphic design firm that did the images has NASTY AS FUCK Ransomware all over their server
>Only existing copies of this image are either locked by the Ransomware or might be tainted
>Client has a PDF with each image as a separate layer (They received it as a test from the graphics company)
>Client needs their shit done
>Cant say no

So is there a program that can do this, or should I just set up an AutoHotKey tomorrow?
>>
>>54949806
supposed to read split each layer into a jpeg*
>>
>>54949685
Never use the auto overclocking. The best way is to do it manually which is time consuming unfortunately.

I'd start by seeing the highest stable frequency you can get at stock voltage and then begin to increase the voltage. Increase the voltage slowly and at each stage run stress tests like prime95 and check the CPU temp. If you're getting too hot or the computer crashes then lower the voltage. Play with it until you get it stable then increase the frequency. Every time it crashes or you get weird artifacts on screen or whatever lower the frequency.

I think most mobos do it in 0.05V steps for voltage and 100MHz steps for frequency, maybe 50MHz. You should do all overclocking via the BIOS and not via any program in the OS, there will be a lot of rebooting. It helps to have an SSD to cut down on the boot time.

In my experience (on an i5-3570K) I wouldn't push the CPU voltage too far beyond 1.3V without good cooling. 1.4V would probably be too high without water cooling and even then I'm not sure. Might be lower or higher thresholds on newer chips I'm not really sure. Frequency will depend on your chip. I can't tell you what will work.

I know it's a pain in the ass but it's the proper way to find your maximum stable overclock.
>>
>>54949756
It's pretty simple stuff. A good cable and a laptop with a kensington port that's anchored to the metal inside the case, not the plastic.
>>
Are code boot camps a meme?
>>
I'm selling a gaming laptop for $800 and I want to know if it's a good price. Here's the one I'm selling:
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE62-APACHE-002-15-6-Inch-Gaming/dp/B00RVUMRKS
Note that this is also available from Newegg for like $1050.

I've had this for about a year now and it is in perfect condition with no signs of wear (it spent that entire year sitting on my desk). Would $800 be a good price to try and sell this for?
Also, what's a good place to sell? I'm definitely going to list it on craigslist and I was considering Amazon as well but I don't know how much cut Amazon takes from sales.
>>
File: Asus_external_dvd_all.jpg (465KB, 1400x758px) Image search: [Google]
Asus_external_dvd_all.jpg
465KB, 1400x758px
>>54949613
just ignore them
while i personally prefer to dump dvd's to hdd's, and replace them with higher quality releases where possible, i can appreciate the use of original media

just get a usb dvd drive if you can't find a laptop you like with one built in
this way you won't have to worry about whether any machine has a dvd drive
>>
File: 1465233472943.jpg (239KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
1465233472943.jpg
239KB, 1280x850px
Stupid question: is a 4th generation ipod too old? Will its app selection be totally hit? I just need a cheap device that I can make phone calls and send sms from over wifi with those free phone apps. Maybe browse the web/facebook and use it for music.

I see 4th generation ipod touch for <40$ and I just hope that it isn't TOO GOOD of a deal. I know they are old, and I hope apple hasn't done anything silly to severely limit their function. :(
>>
> desktop is connected via lan cable to router
> desktop dont have wifi board
> notebook is connected to router via wifi

can i share files between my pcs using my local network?

if so, how?
>>
>>54949623
Its $55 on newegg with free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339
>>
>>54949806
>layer
do you mean page?
>>
>>54949969
Oh I meant 77$ total with a fanned docking station. Amazon has the drive alone for 50$
>>
>>54949958
yes, they're on the same network
>>
File: shopping.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
How many monitors can one of these fuckers support at once? Will I be able to run 5 monitors simultaneously on a GTX 1080? Currently running a 270x and it only supports 3. : (
>>
>>54950008
As many ports that are on it.
>>
>>54949958
if Windows, put them in the same work group, then put the files you'd like to share in a "shared" folder... I think that windows has them labeled as "public" by default, maybe, but you can mark any file for sharing, I think, by right clicking it and going to properties. Once the file is in the right folder or whatever, you can go to the other computer, on the same network and workgroup, and enter the address of the other computer in windows explorer. Might need to enter credentials at that point
>>
>>54949995

how?

i have win7 and linux in both
>>
>>54950018
Are you sure? The only reason I double question that is that at least in my experience a GPU does not always support as many monitors as there are video ports.
>>
>>54949979
I wish.

Its 1 Page with 4500ish layers.

This is what happens when you work for clients who still fax 95% of their shit
>>
>>54949918
Costs as much as a flash stick that holds 30 1:1 clones of DVDs.
>>
>>54949826
I don't mind it not being the best I just want what will be easy to swap around when I need to overclock and play games and go back to normal when chilling.

It should be pretty easy to overclock a 6600k with a good cooler to like 4.4ghz right?

I don't wanna push it to it's limits I just want it cool but getting a bit more out of it.
>>
What is the best program for coping shit on Windows, especially when copying to usb?

The built in windows copy is slow and fuck and can't resume interrupted transfers.
>>
>>54950008
It supports up to 4
Source: EVGA website which you were too retarded to check
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-07+at+11.30.53).png (4KB, 259x73px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-07+at+11.30.53).png
4KB, 259x73px
I'm trying to download this discography. I've tried saving it to 2 different hard drives but I get the same error each time. I've checked the individual files and folders for disallowed characters or .'s at the end of filenames, but nothing is out of order. Anything I can do?
>>
>>54950222
Your path dosent exist
>>
>>54950235
I'm looking at it right now, and I just completed 2 other torrents to the same folder with no issues
>>
So,

What the hell can I do with 32 gigs of ram that aren't one of the following:

ramdisk
ssd caching
virtual machines
>>
>>54950266
Maybe some funky ass special character is in the file name causing the path to shit the bed. z
>>
Why did Windows 10 turn my laptop into a taskbar flickering piece of shit? It also gives me a black screen before booting up now and doesnt even have safe mode.
I didn't even want this.
>>
How frequently do you all reapply thermal paste? I let my nh-l9i and 4670k (i know about the tdp max...) run for ~2yrs and just changed it and got a 3* reduction in temp.
>>
>>54950282
Do nothing and your OS will be using it to make everything faster.
>>
>>54950282
audio rendering(a la FL studio)
fast web browsing
3d modelling
enhanced vidya
longer computer runtime
hardware acceleration
Mariana's web
and ofc, gloat in speccy threads
>>
>>54950282
Open 64 tabs in chrome
>>
What is the intelligent way to partition a disk? I've seen people here with eight small partitions, fuck those autists, there's no way that's the right way right?

What should I consider when partitioning?
>>
>>54950105
i'm not sure i want to know the answers for "why" and "how"

give this a shot
http://blog.alivate.com.au/poppler-windows/
"pdfimages" is the specific tool you're after
try this;
pdfimages.exe -all input.pdf output

where "output" is the folder name you want the images saved to
>>
>>54950282
Just let it exist and then respond to the things you tell it to do.
>>
>>54950425
The main thing to consider is what you would need partitions for, only you can decide.
>>
Can someone confirm is it a bug on Firefox or something?

If you open e.g. more than 20,000 tabs in your Firefox, then crash it, reopen Firefox to the session restore page, then it'd never be able to show all your previously opened tabs there.

Would it be due to the file size limit of sessionstore file?
>>
Does the bounce test work for lithium AA batteries? The disposable 1.5v kind?
>>
Is this a good laptop for the price?

http://www.amazon.com/X555DA-WS11-15-6-inch-Laptop-A10-8700P-Windows/dp/B01CGGOA9W/
>>
>>54949088
Buy a cheap Lenovo laptop with an AMD A series APU and another RAM stick. Any modern chipset can be expanded to 16 GB.
>>
>>54949490
10. You will have to switch sooner or later anyway.
>>
>>54949490
Stay on what works until it doesn't, or until Microsoft comes up with a favorable alternative instead of something that has to be forced on people.
>>
File: 1456974123205.gif (456KB, 160x159px) Image search: [Google]
1456974123205.gif
456KB, 160x159px
>>54950534
>>
>>54945933
antergos base install + i3
>>
>>54950616
i'll take that as "i don't know"
>>
File: 1448248842141.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1448248842141.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
>>54950633
>>
>>54950643
Oh, you're THAT guy.
>>
I hear too much about overclocking. Does it really increase performance that much to be worth the extra hassle with cooling and risk of damage?
>>
>>54950170
Try FreeFileSync. It's kind of shit, but there is nothing better for Windows. On a decent OS you'd just use rsync.
>>
>>54950692
>I hear too much about overclocking. Does it really increase performance that much to be worth the extra hassle with cooling
Yes.

>risk of damage?
If you are a retard maybe it will happen, otherwise its really hard to damage the CPU overclocking it.
>>
File: goodnight help.jpg (43KB, 424x362px) Image search: [Google]
goodnight help.jpg
43KB, 424x362px
firefox

>select image file to upload (on 4chan) from other computer in the network
>upload it
>shut down other computer
>try to select another image file for upload
>firefox now tries to access the (now not available) remote pc folder and freezes

>have to turn on remote pc again, then open the choose file dialog and navigate to a folder on the local machine and upload it so it doesn't freeze every time i open the file selector (instead of trying to access the remote location and freezing, it now opens the local folder just fine)

is this a bug in firefox or windows? could someone test this?

what happens on linux and osx? is this normal behavior or what should happen instead?

i am asking because i'd file a bug report if this is indeed an issue with firefox and not windows itself. using the latest firefox on windows 8.0 (local machine) and windows 8.1 (remote machine - but this one shouldn't matter)
>>
>>54950692
You're looking at a 10-20% performance boost
Having a better cooler is nice regardless because stock coolers tend to be loud as fuck
Chance of damage is minimal if you're not retarded
>>
>>54950706
Because the main factor in damage is overheating?
>>
>>54950152
My 3570K had instability above 4.3GHz. Above 1.3V it could sort of hold 4.4GHz but I'm not convinced it was actually stable. If you're lucky and you got a decent chip you could do 4.4GHz reasonably but it depends.

I mean, if you don't want to waste the time properly min-maxing you could pick a safe voltage and estimate a clock frequency that will probably be stable at that voltage and just try that. You may still need to make adjustments but it's only two or three versus a dozen. You won't be at your max stable overclock but you'll be close. Try maybe 1.2V and 4.2GHz as a starting point and go from there.

There is a way to allow the CPU to utilize the boost functionality when overclocked so that your CPU reduces its voltage and clock when under light load and will ramp to your overclock voltage and frequency as necessary. I don't remember how this is done exactly but I had it working for awhile. It's something with some kind of power setting I believe. I did this a few years ago and my memory is rusty.

I would still avoid software overclocking and stick to the BIOS but doing the above should be less involved than fully min-maxing.
>>
>>54950338
Please help. Im beyond mad right now, all I s3e is that sbitty blue windoes mcirosoft logo and rhen black
>>
How dod I deleted meta data from 100+ pictures at a time?
>>
>>54950338
driver issues, most likely. roll back to 7/8.1while you can (google it), then run gwx control panel or never10
>>
>>54950758
Uninstall Windows 10
>>
>>54950222
try torrenting it with a linux livecd, this looks like windows fuckery
>>
>>54950764
In windows I assume? Just select them and go to properties > details > remove properties
>>
>>54950170
teracopy?
>>
What's up with posting a static WebM of pictures people already posted?
>>
how do you get youtube vids to pause before tab focus like you can on Chrome, in Firefox? I kinda love this feature but hate Chrome.
>>
>>54950764
exiv2 rm *.jpg
>>
>>54950824
I think it's just one shitposter. Report them.
>>
>>54950835
What about windows?
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3p7cCy

Is this build good? I will use it for the following.

playing osu

Watching anime (I'd like it to be able to play anything I throw at it, sometimes I'll open anime and it's all choppy and slow, or doesn't play)

Torrenting anime batches, large files,

Light video editing (general handbrake stuff, I'd like to do it fast)

Run a vm for screwing around

I'll use Windows 7, and I have extra HDDs 6, 1tb seagates for storage.
>>
>>54950824
>static WebM
iirc someone recently posted on /g/ that webms with a single frame keep looping causing 100% cpu usage on some devices, causing the browser to crash. i don't know if this is true, but it's probably someone trying to piss people off.
>>
File: a.png (42KB, 597x315px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
42KB, 597x315px
>>54950850
please consult google before asking your question next time
http://www.exiv2.org/download.html
>>
File: 4q0rDb4.png (126KB, 651x481px) Image search: [Google]
4q0rDb4.png
126KB, 651x481px
Has anyone ever been banned for abusing the report system?

Also, the mods don't like this image.
>>
>>54949770
in my experience, mines crapped out when one day it stopped recognizing drivers.
>>
My chink shit powerbank caught fire overnight, woke up with a nose full of soot. Am I going to get cancer?
>>
>>54950734
Bro almost all oc boards have prebuilt docp profiles. It can oc for you. load the highest profile and have at it

You can read up on shit only so much, just fucking do it and learn
>>
I want to upgrade my monitor and possibly upgrade to two monitors. Right now I have a Samsung SyncMaster EX2220. I really don't know whats what for monitors. So any suggestions on new ones would be much appreciated.
>>
>>54950939
>>54922725
>>
>>54950931
Probably, but the soot probably didn't help either
>>
>>54950694
>>54950810
I'll give those a try. Thanks.
>>
>>54950939
logicalincrements.com/monitors
>>
>>54950931
If you go with the flow, you'll have heart disease first.
>>
>>54950931
The batteries leak?
How the fuck you didnt notice?

Call poison control center.
>>
I'm having a weird issue pop up. I need to access a bill pay section of my bank website that has been running incredibly slow as of the past 3 days. I can access the website and it goes to load my biller list (over 1,000 names) and does so individually. It take all of 5 minutes to load the entire list. Normally is would take roughly 20 seconds, so not great but usable.

The issue I am having is I've tried different browsers, different versions of browsers etc.. and still the same issue. I went to my parents house because I needed to get some work done and the issue wasn't happening there. They have essentially the same setup as me.

I connected my computer to my phone LTE and tried to load the website it loads much quicker. Back down to 20 seconds instead of the 5 minutes its been taking.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? I've cleared the cache, cookies, saved passwords etc...

Nothing seems to be working. Every other website is working fine and I am getting 200mb down 50 mb up and 20 ping.
>>
File: 1464907801730.webm (3MB, 622x350px) Image search: [Google]
1464907801730.webm
3MB, 622x350px
>>54950824
>>
>>54950865
>http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3p7cCy
You're gonna need more than 8GB of ram to do proper vm fuckry.

I would get 16GB for proper video editing and vm shit

Plus, i would also get a proper graphics card so you can use that with the iGPU for a better experience

Also (and this is just a stylistic thing), i would rather get a HTPC case (so i can put my monitor on top.
>>
>>54951006
Dude, you are fucked. You are logging into a fake site from your house and whoever is running it now has all of your banking info.
>>
>>54950865
>adata
get samsung
>paste
get artic silver
>motherboard
get LITERALLY anything else that isnt asrock
>ram
With prices this cheap there isnt really any reason not to have 16gb
>case/psu
No psu that is 30 bucks is worth using, plus i dont see a rating any way
>case
See if you like one of the rosewell cases
>>
>>54951056
But that's not happening. Any more ideas?
>>
My boyfriend needs a copy of RemoveWAT that isn't a virus; problem is though, I can't find a single download that doesn't look extremely sketchy.
Does it not have an official site anymore?

Also, is it like with Windows 7 where there's an update you need to remove first, or is 8.1 crackable without changes?
>>
So I installed Linux mint on an old laptop and during the process it asked me if I wanted to encrypt the hard drive with TrueCrypt.
I went ahead and did it but now I want to try and sell this laptop.
Is there any way for me to decrypt the laptop now?
>>
>>54951096

There are so many wrong things with this post, that if I started pointing them out you'd feel attacked. I hope for your own sake that this is bait.
>>
Why does the neighbor have loud phone calls outside?
>>
>>54951094
Delete your hosts file. Flush your DNS cache, and change your DNS resolver to google's addresses.
>>
What does VPN settings on my phone do?
Can I use it to get around the wifi at my work and gym blocking 4chan?
>>
>>54951129
He wants to rub it in because he knows that you have no friends.
>>
>>54951122
Delete the key header, boot in to dban liveusd and run 7 passes
Thats it
>>
>>54951122

Just use GParted to fuck everything up and start from zero.
>>
>>54951140
4chan block vpn unless paid user
>>
>>54951053
>>54951073
Thanks anons but I'm running on a tight budget, I'll look into a cheap graphics card and into a different ssd, psu and s as suggested
>>
>>54951096
first searchresult doesn't look sketchy to me
>>
I'll say it here and now: I know absolute jack shit about phones and phone plans. I've always been handed a phone and told nothing else. No clue about plans or anything.

Friend offering iPhone 5S 16GB for only $90, on Sprint network, and it's a hell of a lot nicer than my current phone (Alcatel One Touch Fierce 2). But I'm on my mom's phone plan, Walmart Family Mobile. Would it be possible to buy this phone and use it on my mom's plan, so I don't have to go with Sprint? Could I swap the SIM card or something? My mom said my phone bill is technically only $25 for unlimited talk, text and web because I'm conjoined on her account with my aunt so she only charges me $25, but if I left and went anywhere else it would at least double to get what I'm getting now, and I don't make that kind of money so I'd really like to stay on WFM but also have a decent phone that doesn't sound like a dollar store brand video game console.
>>
>>54951159
My advice to you, if you really have HDD's galore, just get a 120GB SSD for boot-loading and use the HDD for everything else. You won't notice the difference.
>>
>>54951124
Happens every time I post on /g/, go ahead.

>>54951175
Google?
>>
>>54950708
maybe i should have included a tl;dr:

>firefox crashes when trying to access an unavailable remote location via the open file dialog
>is this a bug in firefox or windows itself?
>>
>>54951176
Use frequencycheck.com to see what the 5S supports, and compare that with the network your carrier uses.
>>
>>54951192
actually why aren't you using daz loader anyway?
>>
i've noticed a weird smell in my house lately and it turns out that it's my router.

i've had it for about 10 years now and i have no idea whats going on. i did buy a new cat6 ethernet cable recently, could that have anything to do with it?
>>
File: 1465262166800.gif (4MB, 622x350px) Image search: [Google]
1465262166800.gif
4MB, 622x350px
>>54951007
>>
>>54951192
and why 8.1
>>
>>54951208
run firefox from the cli and see check errors
>>
>>54951230
Because I've never heard of it.
What makes it superior?

>>54951249
Beats me.
I use 7 myself.
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-06+at+09.35.10).png (20KB, 523x372px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-06+at+09.35.10).png
20KB, 523x372px
>have pic related
>smell hot electronics
>power supply isn't hot either

What do? it's 74f 23c in my room
>>
Best AMD CPU for running linux (Debian)?
>>
Best web-based file serve?

I have a small server that I use to host shit for friends (teamspeak, KF, minecraft, etc.) and have a shitton of music, movies, etc. that we've amassed on it. Currently, we access all of the data with a shared user profile you can sftp into. I used to just leave everything in a directory listing, but I had to stop because of drive-by downloaders.

SFTP is becoming a hassle for file sharing, I'd like a web-based file serve, but it needs to have logins because of drive-by downloaders sucking up bandwidth. I'm pretty sure the standard solution is a web-interface on top an ftp server, but which of these packages works the best?
>>
>>54951255
i didn't know this was an option, i'll see if it gives me anything later, thank you.
>>
>>54951176
The other guy replied to you, but the thing is you're most likely not.

Sprint does some weird shit to all of their phones so the only sure fire way to know if it will work is to try it, or ask sprint.

A general rule, if the MNVO is based on X carrier, it should work
>>
>>54951262
specifically im not sure, but it seems removeWAT is an outdated version of daz loader
>>
>>54951276
The current best AMD CPU. FX 9370? 8320 if you're cheap.
>>
>>54950983
I don't feel dizzy so it should be fine.
>>
>>54951271
help
>>
>>54945899
You have to look really fucking hard for every little piece of information, but it can be done.

Dual booting is easier, so everyone does that. Do it if you really need a challenge, get really bored or need it for game development.
>>
>>54951271
You're running out of gigabites.
>>
>>54951329
turn the thing off, open it up and inspect it
>>
>>54951350
the case is already off since it's june i keep the cover off all the time
>>
File: chunk.jpg (27KB, 397x304px) Image search: [Google]
chunk.jpg
27KB, 397x304px
>>54951348
>gigabites
>>
I was travelling from one country to another with my notebook, and I adjusted the timezone setting accordingly (-1). After doing so, I continue to browse the web but then the timestamped browser history overwrite some of the history before I change the timezone. How to avoid that?
>>
>>54951364
That DOESN'T make it cooler...
>>
>>54951176

First of all the iPhone has to be unlocked, this implies that it's gotta be 100% paid to Sprint if there was a contract. Second, it has to be compatible with a lot of shit the carriers use. Third, as soon as you change it they're gonna detect it and they might start charging you different prices instead if the iPhone needs faster Internet or whatever. You should call and ask unless you already know and are trying to fool them, in that case don't even try.
>>
File: that joe 4.png (27KB, 496x582px) Image search: [Google]
that joe 4.png
27KB, 496x582px
>>54951285
ignore this post
just uploading an image from the remote desktop so i can test this
>>
>>54951219
It isn't compatible according to this website. Sad day. Thanks though anon.

>>54951290
I was looking and it isn't supported, but I'm gonna do that. I pass a Sprint on my way to and from work anyways so I'll pop in and see what's up. I'd rather know ahead of time than to pay the $90 for it to not work.
>>
So, as long as the chipset is the same, (i.e.: Z97) there aren't too much difference between motherboards, right? I mean, buying a supergamemaster Z97 motherboard and buying another one with a Z97 for half the price will let me overclock just the same?
>>
>>54951382
You do not have enough information about the situation to make that assessment.
>>
My System Recovery is currently fucked but I have a Win7 Product Key on the bottom of the laptop. Microsoft won't let me download Win7 from them with the product key because it was pre-installed, is there any way to get Win 7 burned on to a DVD using this product key?
>>
Is buying a reference GPU alright? I'm planning on buying a reference gtx 970 from best buy since that's the cheapest new card I could find.
(Yes I am going to wait a few weeks after the 1070 comes out for price drops, but the best buy reference card will still probably be the cheapest).
>>
>>54951405

>inb4 I put a fan on front of it

Dude you're retarded it doesn't make it cooler, like ever. Protip: cooling the air around it != making the electronic components cooler
>>
>>54951271
Try to smell from where comes the burned electronic smell.

PSU?
Exaust fan?
HSF?
>>
>>54951405
You are supposed to make fans establish a circulation for you in the case
>>
>>54951405
Just sayan. It usually doesn't. But that's not the issue. Sounds like you've gotten wires where they shouldn't be.
>>
>>54951422
Never buy reference cards, doesnt matter which one.

See people having problems with the GTX 1080.
>>
>>54951440
Are there any specific issues with the reference 970?
The ratings are quite high for it and although I've found several people saying not to buy reference cards they usually don't explain why.
>>
File: 1447711649669.jpg (311KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
1447711649669.jpg
311KB, 803x688px
>>54951278
Bumping
>>
>>54951494
Cooling problems, fan problems, less reliable, worse overclocking, etc.
>>
>>54951278
>web interface
If you're having random faggots downloading shit and not being able to refuse them, i dont trust you to run anything without fucking your vps to kingdom come

>logins
ssh(forced system users transfering via scp)
sshguard(Prevent spamming of ssh login)
Thats all you need
>>
>>54951278
set up a DC++ hub
>>
>>54951378
Change it faster
>>
File: cr-48-notebook.jpg (23KB, 500x418px) Image search: [Google]
cr-48-notebook.jpg
23KB, 500x418px
want to get a cheap laptop for porn and remoting into my gayman pc. is there a general /g/ consensus on what chromebook models are best? don't want to break the bank since it's a chromebook and all, but 1080p screen is preferred.
>>
>>54951411
Microsoft has ISO's on its website for free that you can use to make repair/install disks. All you need is a DVD burner or a flashdrive and rufus or the windows thumbdrive maker utility.
You wont need the key until it asks you to enter it during installation.
Keep in mind, you might only need to repair instead of a full install and be sure to get the correct version of windows.
>>
File: goodnight.jpg (41KB, 424x362px) Image search: [Google]
goodnight.jpg
41KB, 424x362px
>>54951255
it didn't give me any errors and it seems to be working now.
it just freezes for like 15 seconds and then opens up the default folder instead of the remote location. when the remote location becomes available again, it opens up that folder instead. perfect!

this has been bugging me for a while now and it used to freeze completely, that's why i didn't wait when i tried it earlier. i just assumed it would freeze again instead of just hanging for a few seconds, but apparently this bug was fixed in the recent versions. i'm certain this was still a problem in v45. it's all good now.

i wouldn't have waited this long if i wasn't waiting for errors to pop up, so thanks again.

backstory:
i store most of my image files on my desktop and sometimes browse 4chan on my laptop in bed, so every time i uploaded an image from my desktop while in bed and shut it down later, i had to get up and boot the desktop just so firefox wouldn't freeze. i'm a lazy fuck, what can i say.
>>
>>54951378
This is such a specific problem that I don't even know why you would bother asking about it
>>
>>54951543
I hate to be "that guy", but can you point me in the direction of these downloads? The only one I can find on the Microsoft website asks me for a product key before I can download.
>>
>>54951509
>vps
lolno
I'm running everything through ssh now. They use something like winscp to download and upload shit. I (and they) would like everything available to them in the browser instead of having to use a separate application. Also thumbnails. It's probably asking too much for something like this pre-packaged. I'm not familiar, don't have the time, or interest to write some shitty php scripts for this.
>>54951522
Not running wangblows.
>>
What 2TB HDD to buy for vidya and animu?
>>
>>54951593
They don't exist anymore. His info is 4 years out of date.
>>
>>54951620
hitachi/hgst ultrastar

but you should invest in a 259gb ssd instead for your games and os
>>
Should I wait to build a PC until that new budget GPU comes out? I think its a 300$ Nvidia.
>>
>>54951617
Please tell me you dont have a job in the tech industry, and if you do, what company do you work for?
>>
>>54951686
probably
>>
>>54951632
Thanks senpai.

I got a 250GB SSD for OS and some geimus but I managed to fill it. I'll eventually get another, larger one, but for now HDD speed is good enough for me.
>>
>>54951624
Does Microsoft at least still have free lube or do they just fuck me raw
>>
>>54951617
>Not running wangblows.
why do you assume DC++ is windows only?
>>
>>54951530
>Chromeboob
>1080p
Wat
>>
Getting mixed results with google

On mITX boards with only 2 fan headers, is it safe to use Y splitters to run 4 fans off of those 2 headers? Thinking of buying some noctua fans and they come with splitters.
>>
>>54951745
It says on the main site page "a windows file sharing application" or something to that affect.

>>54951687
nice meme response
>>
>>54951710
What was its name?
>>
>>54951757
Yes, shitposter, some ChromeBooks have 1080p IPS displays or better. I got one for $330 last spring. Set up Crouton and use it for coding when not home.
>>
>>54951772
gtx 1070, 1060 or 1050
>>
>>54951761
Headers should be rated to 1 amp, enough for 2 fans each.
>>
>>54951766
>meme response
Please tell me, i want to never associate my self with this company, with such an incompetent admin.
>>
>>54951806
Most sysadmins are shitters, otherwise they'd be doing something else.
>>
>>54951783
Can it run linux?
Would probably get faster after removing all the google botnet bloat.
Or even better, NiggerCattleOS.
>>
>>54951806
You didn't even read my OP.
>>
>>54951826
>HAXXORS ARE DOWNLOADING ALL MY THINGS, FROM MY PUBLICLY UNSECURE SERVER
>I WANT TO GO FROM AN SECURE TRANSFER PROTOCAL TO A WEB BASED FTP BROWER/SHIT
I know what you want to do, and its retarded.
Atleast firewall your self jesus christ
>>
>>54951789
$300 is too little for 1070 and too much for 1060 or 1050.
>>
>>54951817
Linux is part of ChromeOS, but no, most can't run a GNU/Linux system on bare metal. Crouton is a collection of scripts that automate setting up a GNU chroot on ChromeOS. It sometimes breaks when ChromeOS updates itself.
>>
>>54951792
Ok thanks, on second thought it has to be 100% on all boards or noctua wouldn't include a splitter with their fans
>>
>>54951871
>when ChromeOS updates itself
Stallman told us this day would come.
>>
>>54951837
>HAXXORS ARE DOWNLOADING ALL MY THINGS, FROM MY PUBLICLY UNSECURE SERVER
Yeah, that's why I switched back to sftp only. Nothing hosted on this server is important. At all.
>I WANT TO GO FROM AN SECURE TRANSFER PROTOCAL TO A WEB BASED FTP BROWER/SHIT
I could care less about anyone knowing what chinese cartoon I just grabbed from my file server. You have the wrong perspective.
>Atleast firewall your self jesus christ
Yeah, I do.
>I know what you want to do, and its retarded.
It really isn't. Secured ftp server with a web interface for ease of use and no random kids eating my upload bandwidth.
>>
>>54945029
I have dual 980ti
But I use ax760 corsair
4 drives
Have ran it on full load for hours
It's quite efficient though, plat vs bronze so no sure, just underclock the CPU a bit if power is an issue
>>
>>54951953
file explorer wont work. tried reinstalling os using f12
>>
Should I shave tomorrow or remain an otter for a while?
>>
Whats a solid air cooling option for overclocking (first time doing it) an i5 6600k or i7 6700k?
>>
>>54952179
Hyper 212

What kind of classes and certs should I be getting if I want to do computer support for a hospital. Not admin just working on configuring computers.
>>
>>54952211
I may be wrong, but I assume you'd need Security+ so they don't get sued for HIPAA violations.
>>
>>54952211
For real? That's plenty good for a non-rice-it-to-shit OC?
>>
>>54952172
remain otter
>>
For somebody that just got into programming, what are the benefits of starting to use a Linux distro?

I know for a fact that most jobs require some or lots of experience with Linux, so why is this?
>>
>>54944868
Just got a moto 360 is great.
>>
What are the best 240mm AIO cpu coolers?
>>
I have an Asus k53e I'm using as a server. It runs hot as duck 100c on idle . I cleaned the fan replaced the thermal compound and took the top panel off. Is there anything I can do to make it run cooler?
>>
Thinking of getting the geforce 1070 when it comes out. Will my i5-4690 bottle neck it's performance?
>>
>>54952296
most programming tools use the command line to work, i.e gcc, nodejs, etc. sure you can get an IDE with gui for that type of stuff, but they usually do not give you the full flexibility of the command line.

also, linux is designed for development. development dependencies are a command away. it's just easier to develop on linux, and you'll see why once you're on it.
>>
>>54952296
Being comfortable in the terminal is pretty helpful, also I always found it just a bit easier for coding within certain languages.
>>
>>54952379
Depends on what you're doing.
Normieshit vidyageimus? Probably not.
Poorly optimized CPU intensive geimus like Planetside 2 or TESO? 3D modelling? Yes, definitely.
>>
I'm trying to change the units in the x-axis.
But unlike excel, when i double click to change them, the 'format' windows opens. And i cannot find a box or anything to change the units.
>>
>>54952379
no
>>
>>54952363
Have it in a dark room or near a window.

Or you could get one of those big fans with the clikcy buttons and use that.

>>54952172
Depends if you are visiting me or not.
>>
Just caught my daughter using 4chan memes with her friends earlier today. What should I do? Should I be worried? She is not old enough to be on here I feel, no offense.
>>
>>54952550
give her your trap collection
>>
>>54951523
You do realize that changing the time backward would unavoidably create overlapped time?

>>54951569
How do people deal woth it when they fall back in countries with DST?
>>
>>54952550
Oh boy, sounds like you need to sit down and have "the talk" with her. I remember when I had to explain to my kids about 4chan.
>>
>>54951378
>>54951523
>>54952575
Sounds like your brower was programmed retardlike. It shouldn't be hard to have an application be aware of timezones and factor them into relative times.
>>
>>54949047
bump
>>
>>54952603
>prorammed by retard
As expected from Microsoft, if only those websites stop being IE-only
>>
Why do people install libreboot? It seems like there is no real benefit in thinkpads besides removing the whitelist so you can install a blob-free wifi adapter which also seems not useful at all. I have an x200t and am considering it.

Does anyone have any experiance with libreboot and is it useful/worth the effort?
>>
is there a such thing as a free bare metal hypervisor or one that can be pirated? just wanna fuck around with some vms on an old computer
>>
>>54952883
i think it's mostly just hobbyists doing it for fun and freedoms
>>
is it safe to use a laptop plugged in to the charger without a battery?
>>
>>54952968
I don't think it's innately harmful, though do be careful that you don't accidentally unplug it while it's on. My mom used her laptop for years like this when the battery died and I tried to get her a Chinese knockoff to replace it but the fucking thing didn't fit and we both just said "fuck it"
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-06-21-27-11.png (191KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-06-21-27-11.png
191KB, 540x960px
>>54944605
Why am I able to play 720p 60 fps video on YouTube from my ipod but not my android phone? And how do I fix this?
>>
>>54953226
Did you make sure the video in question actually has a 720p source?
>>
I'm using lambda expressions in my java program. What happens if the user doesn't have java 8?

Will it not work?
>>
>>54953291
I would assume they would not だね
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-06-21-44-14.png (338KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-06-21-44-14.png
338KB, 540x960px
>>54953276
The video I tested it on is 720p 60fps
>>
What does an accountant do that a programmer can't? Don't they just add and subtract?
>>
>>54953339
knowledge of tax laws, basically

regardless of where you live, taxes are needlessly complicated which gives them job security
>>
>>54953305
I am assuming as well. I'm just wondering if perhaps the "lambda" is just in the code side, and the actual compiled .jar is indifferent to being written in standard intefaces or lambdas.

Anyone know for sure? About to dig out an old laptop and test it myself
>>
>>54953333
Is your phone a potato?
>>
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (31KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
31KB, 1280x720px
I don't even know what the correct name for this is, but I would like to change the battery charging screen of my Nexus 5 to display percentages. Is that even possible?
>>
Halp!

My uncle doesn't feed his iguana meat. wat do?
>>
>>54953333
>touchwizz
>>
Ive recently started having horrible download speeds. Multiple tests on multiple sites at varying times of the day show speeds all over the fucking place. In actual practice i was getting as low as sub 10kb/s on utorrent. Switched to deluge and its faster (peaks around 1mb/s for a bit then drops to a few hundred KB/s for a bit) but still not as fast as it should be.
This issue has persisted across multiple torrents, and torrent programs. I know its most likely my isp's fault, as i have shitty ATnT uverse, but i cant figure out what/where the issue is. I had this issue before, and we ended up upgrading from a 1 or 2mb/s package to an ~5 mb/s package before i could call about the issue. Problems stopped for a month or so after that, and now they seem to be back. Pretty much every afternoon and night it seems like not even an act of god could get my speeds above 1mb/s. During the times my DL speed isnt being fucked, it still seems to fluctuate a lot. It seems like it bounces between a few hundred kb/s and a few mb/s at least once or twice a minute while downloading (checked on multiple programs).

Is there anything i can do besides call the company? I already know calling them wont fix shit, they always try to blame the router/modem and replace it, and that never fixes anything. I was considering getting a pretty good router, one of the $150+ ones, but i dont really want to have to spend even more money if its not going to change anything.
>>
>>54954097
forgot to mention this isnt just an issue with torrents/torrent programs, it affects my browser, online games, etc.
>>
>>54953226
try newpipe or youtube-dl
>>
Will you cum over and watch the Delta IV Heavy launch with me?
>>
How do I get out of this fatigue cycle?
Thread posts: 379
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.