[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arch users: Do you read the PKLGBUILDs for things you install

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Arch users:

Do you read the PKLGBUILDs for things you install from the AUR? If not, you should. As it stands its a major security flaw, as anyone can change the install instructions to download any file and run anything they want on your machine.

Also by messing up small things like version numbers, dependencies or even putting things in the "provides" array can seriously fuck with pacman, and cause major problems such as not getting security fixes if pacman thinks you're running version 1000 of chromium-git or saying that a package provides a runtime dependency of another package you install like a year later, and will be pretty untraceable as to why it isn't working.

On the other hand, pacman is a great package manager but you shouldn't install things from the AUR if you can help it, and should be writing your own PKGBUILDs. It isn't that hard if you don't know how, and the wiki although being comprehensive in its page on the subject but as usual mostly indecipherable for new users.

I'll post a friendly clear intro guide to writing PKGBUILDs if anyone wants it, but if you're wondering why everyone in the community is so up their butt about AUR helpers or pacman wrappers, its about 75% condescending cuntery (as usual) and 25% these facts.
>>
>>54906213
>Do you read the PKLGBUILDs for things you install from the AUR?
Yes. Isn't that common sense?
Why did you even make this thread?
>>
>>54906225
this post was directed mostly at new users and people who don't know any better/are interested in building stuff themselves and keeping it all tied to pacman

the amount of people that recommend installing yaourt while still in the install chroot is bad
>>
File: 1425899298159.jpg (41KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1425899298159.jpg
41KB, 409x409px
>>54906213
no, I just yaourt -Sayu --noconfirm, I trust the arch community with my life
>>
>>54906213
>I'll post a friendly clear intro guide to writing PKGBUILDs if anyone wants it
Go ahead
>>
of course I dont
not unless theres need for fixing

I am fucking coming from windows you retard
I run cracks and key generators to get the game going
I clicked all the download buttons on the torrent sites
I pirated and left behind all the software I used and also pirated fucking antivirus

the paranoia of linux users is really laughable to me, coming from windows
no one cares you exists, no one targets your few users
if a fucking AUR package has high reputation I wont be fucking bothering reading it if it works

but I am not saying you should be "fuck all" moron
have backups, but also have common sense
>>
I sometimes use PKGBUILDs to figure out how to compile things in non Arch enviroments.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.